What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Re: Lock Boxes (items, etc.), Lobi Store (items, etc.) and Master Keys

Comments

• Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    You did exactly what cryptic wanted you to do... Spend alot of money on something you will use for a short time, untill you get hooked on the next one.

Chances of getting those ships are pretty slim really. Most of the time, all you get is junk.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Take some advice from someone who's opened about as many lockboxes as you have...

Console yourself with the fact that you'd pay more than the price of a key to buy DOFF packs directly from the C-Store.

Because that's about the only consolation you're likely to get, sad to say. At least you're not getting boxes of junk gear like the old lockboxes used to have.

If you plan on opening any more of them, save up your Lobi for something you really want. My only Lobi purchase thus far has been one Energy Whip for my Ferengi character.

The other possibility is selling keys for insane amounts of EC and hopefully earning enough of that to get what you want off the Exchange.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • Options
    levi3levi3 Member Posts: 1,663 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I am extrememly pleased that my thread has generated 14,000 views in the last week. I did not do it to discourage people from buying the lock-boxes, although I think many many people choose not to after reading it.

I purely wanted something out there that players could see what they were getting into with the lock-box thing and not be fooled into thinking their chances are better than they are - and since Cryptic does not release odds it is up to us the player/customers to keep them in check.

That said - as far as the whole lock-box thing goes it's here to stay. They continue to improve on the rewards from when they were first introduced.

I have no problems with Cryptic making money - In fact i want them to so the game keeps going.

There are some major improvements they could make to the lock-box system that would attract more players and more purchases and have less downside than they perceive:

1) Make Lobi account bound

2) Increase the lobi drop rate to more than an avg of 5.5 per box(or lower the costs in the Lobi store)

3)Don't put any character bound items in the lock box - for example this time they had the 100 fleet mark bonus - a fairly rare item drop but it was character bound - what if you are not in a fleet?

Those are some major things that are not to radical ideas. Another more controversial idea for them but not players, would be to make items other than the ships account bound. Realistically there are not too many people who will get the consoles, outfits for more than one toon anyway - but you could draw a lot more people in by making them account unlock - I think they are missing revenue here not losing it by making a change like this.

Just a thought Cryptic
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    levi3 made a thread looking at the New boxes contents and results.
    In that thread rachelgarret started compiling that submitted information and generated some results/percentages to help figure your chances. You can find his results so far here.

So far, if you want a Temporal Science Vessel Starship, you have a 0.3% chance.

That thread is not a true number, since 240 people don't represent the whole game. Also we don't know if the numbers player put in are real, not saying all of them are fake but there are players in this game who hate lock boxes so much they would put fake numbers to discourage players from buying lock boxes. So i for one would not use that thread as some sort of science in figuring the odds.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    hrisvalarhrisvalar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    That thread is not a true number, since 240 people don't represent the whole game. Also we don't know if the numbers player put in are real, not saying all of them are fake but there are players in this game who hate lock boxes so much they would put fake numbers to discourage players from buying lock boxes. So i for one would not use that thread as some sort of science in figuring the odds.

It's true! I opened OVER NINE THOUSAND lockboxes and got only 25,000 Lobi crystals. That's like 2.8 Lobi crystals per lockbox. That's less than 4. Cryptic totally lied to us man! Also, I still don't have a temporal duty officer and half of them gave me Tufflis. The Tribble, not the freighter. Come, help me set up the guillotine!

There, now you've got evidence.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Reave
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    neoakiraii wrote: »

Well that certainly would not be me - I have never stated that I hate lock-boxes and have defended Cryptic more times than I can count on these forums for the need to generate revenue. Several of the other players like cosmic and a couple others who have posted also are very pro-Cryptic or at least not overly anti-lockbox.

These figures have been confirmed by many others i am sure. It was never ment to be an accurate figure of your odds - and you know why - unlike most gambling and lotteries- we can't get accurate odds?? Because CRYPTIC won't release the ODDS!!!

So who is trying to make more of a manipulation of the perceived "odds' us players who are active all the time or Cryptic who dangles the boxes but won't tell you your chances?

I for one will go with the players until Cryptic formally posts the odds - why - because you can't get the info anywhere else!

The comment/question you SHOULD be asking is WHY does Cryptic not want to post the odds?
  • Options
    syberghostsyberghost Member Posts: 1,711 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    levi3 wrote: »
    The comment/question you SHOULD be asking is WHY does Cryptic not want to post the odds?

Same reasons they don't share lots of numbers; why do the competition's market research for them? Why create a situation where changing the numbers causes the next thread like yours to result in accusations they lied?

Of course now that the cat is out of the bag, the first reason no longer applies; but the second is still a compelling one, based on past experience with MMO forums. (Not just these; the STO community is actually very well-behaved compared to the industry norm.)
    Former moderator of these forums. Lifetime sub since before launch. Been here since before public betas. Foundry author of "Franklin Drake Must Die".
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Well that certainly would not be me - I have never stated that I hate lock-boxes and have defended Cryptic more times than I can count on these forums for the need to generate revenue. Several of the other players like cosmic and a couple others who have posted also are very pro-Cryptic or at least not overly anti-lockbox.

These figures have been confirmed by many others i am sure. It was never ment to be an accurate figure of your odds - and you know why - unlike most gambling and lotteries- we can't get accurate odds?? Because CRYPTIC won't release the ODDS!!!

So who is trying to make more of a manipulation of the perceived "odds' us players who are active all the time or Cryptic who dangles the boxes but won't tell you your chances?

I for one will go with the players until Cryptic formally posts the odds - why - because you can't get the info anywhere else!

I for one would love to go with the player, if every player in the game who ever open a lockbox put their results in the thread, but they didn't.

It's not factual numbers, and it's not true science or a poll. Even the Cryptic poll was not a true science for the game, because not all the player go on the forums. The thread wont get even close to the actual percentage, whatever that is.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    skyranger1414skyranger1414 Member Posts: 1,785 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    hrisvalar wrote: »

If anyone from STO's plethora of podcasts is reading this, next time you've got one of them over, please ask them why exactly we have these bind on pickup items on that store. Let's make the PR guys work for their money... I'm dieing to see what they come up with.

I'm pretty sure they only answer pre-approved questions. If any podcast ambushed them with a question like that you can be sure that podcast would never get a dev interview again.... not that it'd be a big loss. For me the worst podcast episodes are when a dev or worse yet, Stahl get time to do free publicity. Bleh, i'd rather hear the podcasters present interesting ideas or opinions. Maybe if the guests actually said something relevant once in a while... but again, pre approved questions.

If I am wrong about that i'd love to hear it. Really I would.
  • Options
    redheadguyredheadguy Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Can anyone tell me if there is any difference between the normal Recon Science Ship and the Mirror version besides how they look??

[SIGPIC]

[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    redheadguyredheadguy Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Can anyone tell me what the spec's are for the new Mobius Class Temporal Destroyer?

Can my science Captain use Photonic Fleet and that new console that summons two copies of your ship at the same time???

[SIGPIC]

[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    hrci2907hrci2907 Member Posts: 648 Media Corps
    edited October 2012
    i can tell you that you can use photonic fleet, so you can have 5 ships at one time!
    "This is your ultimate STO Youtube channel!"
    https://youtube.com/user/MyBalkanGaming
  • Options
    ricosakararicosakara Member Posts: 422 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Hey everyone!

I need some help. First off, I need to ask this: can lobi crystals be traded in a exchange? Like, they you sell them on the Exchange or Trade them with another player personally?

I'm askingbecause I'm looking for 1700 Lobi Crystals, and even though so far, I can only get them with the opened lock boxes, but I was wondering if there is a faster way? Like, trading them from someone else and give them something in return?

I'm looking for 1700 Lobis to get the Mobius & Aeon timeships, along with the three temporal consoles in the Lobi store. That's why I'm asking.

So, can anyone tell if this is possible or not?
    And if so, Is there anyone out there will to sell me some Lobi Crystals?
  • Options
    kdawgenigmakdawgenigma Member Posts: 300 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    How about putting the total amount of Lobi one has on a toon on the bottom left of the Lobi store like the exchange shows the energy credits?

-Rule of Acquisition #113: Always have sex with the boss.
    -I am one of the many victims from the hijacked Caspian Division.
    I will not let the childish acts of a criminal ruin this game for me.
    -The actions of Cryptic, on the other hand......
  • Options
    kiriseekirisee Member Posts: 446 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    better idea....how about the Lobi just shows up in the inventory tab like the rest of our currencies?

that is...if i get what your asking for
    "If everyone used Macs, we'd be working on how to get to Alpha Centauri rather than how to get to Mars."
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    ricosakara wrote: »
    Hey everyone!

I need some help. First off, I need to ask this: can lobi crystals be traded in a exchange? Like, they you sell them on the Exchange or Trade them with another player personally?

I'm askingbecause I'm looking for 1700 Lobi Crystals, and even though so far, I can only get them with the opened lock boxes, but I was wondering if there is a faster way? Like, trading them from someone else and give them something in return?

I'm looking for 1700 Lobis to get the Mobius & Aeon timeships, along with the three temporal consoles in the Lobi store. That's why I'm asking.

So, can anyone tell if this is possible or not?
    And if so, Is there anyone out there will to sell me some Lobi Crystals?

No the lobi system is so very very closed! All lobi you open are BOUND TO CHARACTER so I hope all 1700 are on the some character. Then most of the items you buy except for the ships and a few others are BOUND TO CHARACTER - the ships become bound when you open the box.

it is the most annoying part of the system and designed to make you spend a fortune opening lock-boxes
  • Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    It should be moved into the currency tab. Especially since we can't move it to another character and it just takes valuable inventory space.
  • Options
    kingdoxykingdoxy Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Move it so at the very least it doesn't take up an inventory slot.

Then add a button to the Lobi store like there is a button to the DStore and D Exchange.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    I support all of these ideas

• Options
    edited October 2012
    You make a very good point !!!

Ditto!
    Besides, this is Star Trek Online - it's a GAME. Games can go off Canon if they want. This whole argue about canon and the srgue about the Temporal Lock Boxes and stuff....It's pisses me off to no end. While I am a huge 29th Century ST fan, and love the timeships to death, I think people are making a WAY too big a deal about how invinicible the timeships should be. You got to remember that these ships in game are to have weaknesses as well as strengths. Plus, remember, that in the game here, the 29th century ships were stripped of there 29th hardware, so therefore we're going to be left with timeships that will have 25th century strengths and weaknesses anyways.

So either way you look at it, overall, when it comes to games, even STO, nothing is 100% Canon. EVER.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    No the lobi system is so very very closed! All lobi you open are BOUND TO CHARACTER so I hope all 1700 are on the some character. Then most of the items you buy except for the ships and a few others are BOUND TO CHARACTER - the ships become bound when you open the box.

it is the most annoying part of the system and designed to make you spend a fortune opening lock-boxes

Thanks for info, Levi3-sama.

And on a sidenote, thanks again for the 250-800+ lockbox opening observation the other day. I just got my Wells-Class today after opening just under 20 temporal boxes, which was unexpected on my part, as I was opening them up to save lobi crystals. I have my timeship in my ship slots right now, and am saving that ship's time console for the mobius and the other consoles in the lobi store.

Thanks again for the observation info. It'll help me in understanding what my chances are for future openings.
  • Options
    captainbmoneycaptainbmoney Member Posts: 1,323 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    When does the 29th Century uniform come out in the Lobi Store? Thursday Plox?

Like my fanpage!
    https://www.facebook.com/CaptainBMoney913
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    How about putting the total amount of Lobi one has on a toon on the bottom left of the Lobi store like the exchange shows the energy credits?

Thanks for needlessly moving my thread. My topic had absolutely nothing to do with the temporal scam boxes or anything related to them. It was a suggestion for the Lobi Store in general that didn't need to be buried in this catch all thread.

• Options
    vesterengvestereng Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    silence of the lambs !
  • Options
    red01999red01999 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    ricosakara wrote: »
    Ditto!
    Besides, this is Star Trek Online - it's a GAME. Games can go off Canon if they want. This whole argue about canon and the srgue about the Temporal Lock Boxes and stuff....It's pisses me off to no end. While I am a huge 29th Century ST fan, and love the timeships to death, I think people are making a WAY too big a deal about how invinicible the timeships should be. You got to remember that these ships in game are to have weaknesses as well as strengths. Plus, remember, that in the game here, the 29th century ships were stripped of there 29th hardware, so therefore we're going to be left with timeships that will have 25th century strengths and weaknesses anyways.

So either way you look at it, overall, when it comes to games, even STO, nothing is 100% Canon. EVER.

Actually, if you want a rationalization, with all the temporal corruption we have these days, plus the influx of Borg activity, chances are Starfleet and KDF tech is /significantly/ stronger than the timeships, especially if the ships ended up here BEFORE those innovations were incorporated into the ships. So essentially you've got timeships slugging it out with cruisers that have timeship-inspired tech already built in.

And then there's the disturbing possibility that the Tholians stripped out all the superweapon gear, if you use the in-game explanations, and are mounting it on their own ships.

Also, agreed on canon. Star Trek canon is pretty loose in many places.
  • Options
    vesterengvestereng Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Ofc timeships should be OP, would you rather be in kirk or picard's ship ?

If you can't do it right, don't do it - they could have picked any number of other themes

Also the temporal jumpsuit makes zero sense and it's ugly, not just the in-game one but in general looks like a budget version of hellraiser 1993 don't know wtf was going on there.
  • Options
    tancrediivtancrediiv Member Posts: 728 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Space time continuum blah blah insert temporal technobabble here was used progressively more often to either create stories/scripts to help ratings, paint a way out of bad plots or make excuses for poor writing. It is often a clear sign of lack of material causing the series to end soon.

Doesn't matter. Just sell the stuff in the exchange for a fair price. $200 for some pixels that once the game ends leaves the buyer with nothing is bad business.

Player and forumite formerly known as FEELTHETHUNDER

Expatriot Might Characters in EXILE
  • Options
    kaeajakaeaja Member Posts: 517 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I personally think its a wonderful ship. Someone I met seems to think its an awful ship but I very much so disagree. However what I DO think is a bit EH, is the fact that its Tipler Cylinder Console has a 5 minute cooldown, I think the cooldown should be like 3 minutes or something. What do you all think? Who would like to see this console have a shorter cooldown? I mean all things considered, I would expect a Lockbox ship like this to have a shorter cooldown.

Why? Because compare it to the LRSV-R's Ablative Generator ability, it lasts for 30 seconds and has a 3 minute cooldown, and gives the LRSV-R an amazing amount of durability, well worth the fact it has a 3 minute cooldown. But when paired up with the Temporal Backstep, the Backstep only lasts for 13 seconds (Or so the information says, its likely alot shorter then that cause it doesnt feel like its lasting for 13 seconds, unless), heals your hull and shields and makes you invulnerable for the duration which again isnt very long it seems. All I am saying is it seems like the cooldown for this ability is to long, anyone else agree?
  • Options
    agentexeideragentexeider Member Posts: 180 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    cosmoscola wrote: »
    Okay, so I know I?ll be horribly bullied for saying this by some, but here it comes anyway:
    I LOVE THE NEX TEMPORAL LOCKBOX!!
    Time for some serious shopping!

You don't, you only think you do but you really don't.

This lockbox thing is just BS, they have put so many things into the lockboxes and not into even the C-store, let alone just in game outright.

such a shame, truly, this game could of been something, just a shame....

-AE