test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

1000 day Veteran Reward

Comments

• vsilverwings1vsilverwings1 Member Posts: 572 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I finally bothered to test it so I can criticise it fairly.

Chimera class/

Questions:
    Why on earth do the nacelles move down in tactical mode? To what end? It hardly changes anything yet the design effort necessary for this cannot conceivably worth it. What if it breaks down? We could fire at our own nacelles? Then just program the beams not to fire at them.

The whole process over the saucer section....wouldn't it just have been simpler to have the beams 'strut's or however you want to call them extend out of the ship rather than the over complicated transformation of the saucer section?
    No other ship pretends to be this complicated the closest would be a simple saucer separation, voyager's leg struts/nacelles (which was at least a temporay technology 'experiment' to reduce the effects of sub space damage or DS9's simply open shutters and extend weapon ports. None of these change the ship/base infastructure to suit a new purpose.

The deflector dish....oh boy.
    a/ By blocking it up how is a starship meant to use it? It's an essential part of flying a starship and you go and block it up?

Even if you explain away the first question...

b/ How are we meant to use our deflector dish abilities? Do we fire our gravity well through solid hull plating?

c/ If this could ever be a valid option then why don't all starships have this armoured deflector? Surely it would be a good thing right?
  • jslynjslyn Member Posts: 1,788 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    The ship has to realign its conduits to change the power shunt between special systems?
  • whamhammer1whamhammer1 Member Posts: 2,290 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Keep in mind, +30 to Targeting Systems means +297 to Accuracy.

If I'm reading this right, under any normal circumstances, you should have a 100% chance to hit a target if you continue to skill for defense.

That completely redefines PvP in these ships.

Accuracy is no longer the king stat. It's the worst stat because these exceed the benefit of even bleedover. And as a consequence... These ships will get a better response from equipping Fleet weapons than any other ship in the game.

You might still be better with, say CritH/CritD weapons.

But even if your enemy pops an impulse capcitance cell at full speed, you will hit them in this ship without any bonus Acc on your weapons.

Doesn't any accuracy that put it over 100% to hit go straight to a damage bonus?
    edited October 2012
    hrisvalar wrote: »
    It does for the people who buy it now, yes. Having "instant access to all vet rewards" thrown in our faces as a perk is just going to sting for the people who got to 999 days of their own accord.

At least don't give them the accolades/titles.

Ive been playing since beta. I've been paying the special annual sub price, I cant afford to plop lifetime down at one time (future value of a dollar deal) until I get out of school again and get a real job (hopefully there will be jobs when I get out next year). So I have gotten there on my own accord, but I know that they are trying to boost lifetime subs. Once is okay, but I hope they don't do this every time something comes out.
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Doesn't any accuracy that put it over 100% to hit go straight to a damage bonus?

As someone else, noted, it's 3%.

But it still frees up a TON of skillpoints since fully speccing in targeting systems is only +99 and this is +30.

Adjust your skillpoints. You could drop ranks 5-9 of Starship Targeting Systems and spend those however you like.
  • psymantispsymantis Member Posts: 329 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    The KDF version shows the nacelles extended when in sector space. When the ship leaves or enters a system the nacelles do extend/contract but in sector space they remain contracted. It isn't just me as no other Vet ship in KDF space had extended nacelles in sector space. Were these tested?
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    psymantis wrote: »
    The KDF version shows the nacelles extended when in sector space. When the ship leaves or enters a system the nacelles do extend/contract but in sector space they remain contracted. It isn't just me as no other Vet ship in KDF space had extended nacelles in sector space. Were these tested?

Intentional. That's "Sector Space Mode."
  • daboholicdaboholic Member Posts: 265 Arc User
    edited October 2012

My KDF ship only shows contracted nacelles in sector space too.

They are extended during the warp-in animation, before contracting as the animation finishes.
  • assimilatedktarassimilatedktar Member Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Okay, I tried the Chimera out today. My opinion:

1) It seems to have an inherent +10 to weapon energy without the tactical mode. Otherwise I can't explain how I'm still able to reach 125 while setting the base down to 90. With that and the +30 shield systems/targeting systems and the abilities the ship should in fact be on par with a fleet ship. That's nice because I don't have to use the tactical mode which leads to...

2) FLEETBOTS TRANSFORM! Sorry, but the ship comes with a ridiculous un-Star Trek-like amount of moving parts. The ship is beautiful by itself, while moving nacelles would have been an interesting feature for the sector space mode also adjusting those giant pylons is just too much. The tactical mode is just ridiculous. Sorry, with what's in the saucer there it would be practically uninhabitable and the windows on it would just be for show. And it looks bad Jim.:( Sometimes less is more.
    FKA K-Tar, grumpy Klingon/El-Aurian hybrid. Now assimilated by PWE.
    Sometimes, if you want to bury the hatchet with a Klingon, it has to be in his skull. - Captain K'Tar of the USS Danu about J'mpok.
  • joenatljoenatl Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Okay, I tried the Chimera out today. My opinion:

1) It seems to have an inherent +10 to weapon energy without the tactical mode. Otherwise I can't explain how I'm still able to reach 125 while setting the base down to 90. With that and the +30 shield systems/targeting systems and the abilities the ship should in fact be on par with a fleet ship. That's nice because I don't have to use the tactical mode which leads to...

2) FLEETBOTS TRANSFORM! Sorry, but the ship comes with a ridiculous un-Star Trek-like amount of moving parts. The ship is beautiful by itself, while moving nacelles would have been an interesting feature for the sector space mode also adjusting those giant pylons is just too much. The tactical mode is just ridiculous. Sorry, with what's in the saucer there it would be practically uninhabitable and the windows on it would just be for show. And it looks bad Jim.:( Sometimes less is more.

I agree 100% with this. I just dont see how a crew could operate with the transformation. I'm not crazy about the 5 minute cool down on the lotus/shield systems. Think it could be run to about 3.

That all being said I think I like it. I ran the breen dailies in it and had no issues with it. I think if I maxed it out with MK XII like mu bug has it could do some damage.
  • xenor002xenor002 Member Posts: 424
    edited October 2012
    A slap in the face is our reward! :cool: .........
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] EXPLORE.

Dec '07 Account
    I EARNED 1000 days...I didn't BUY it! New LTS=Death to Vet.System: 10/10/12 Never Forget
    Something should be done for those who cared enough to have a 1000+ day sub.
    edited October 2012
    daboholic wrote: »
    My KDF ship only shows contracted nacelles in sector space too.

They are extended during the warp-in animation, before contracting as the animation finishes.

I meant the image on the blog shows the nacelles extended in sector space. The reality has them contracted.
  • xlocutusofborgxxlocutusofborgx Member Posts: 1,376 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I have yet seen the kdf version yet, since logging in I have only been on my fed toon, but seeing these ships in sol system.. this is my opinion, again myn alone, its an UGLY ship. I have no intentions of using it ever. Its a startrek transformer lol.

I even went to sector space to see if it had some cool new slip stream animation but it seems to me its the same one, so I guess you just go abit faster *shrug*.

Ill be checken out the kdf version later if I see one.. but so far not really loven the 1000 day item. But hey I love the extra ship slot lol.
    borgsignaturecopy2-zpse8618517.png
    R E S I S T A N C E - I S - F U T I L E
  • age03age03 Member Posts: 1,664 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I guess this only good for subscribers although I am an officail beta tester.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Age StarTrek-Gamers Administrator
    USS WARRIOR NCC 1720 Commanding Officer
    Star Trek Gamers
  • aoav160aoav160 Member Posts: 443 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I do know of a beta player who stills pays monthly. I think he is losing this way.
  • daboholicdaboholic Member Posts: 265 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I meant the image on the blog shows the nacelles extended in sector space. The reality has them contracted.

Yeah I know, I was agreeing with you ;)
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited October 2012

Like you said, there is no way that the interior could house crew within the saucer because of all those moving parts and weapon systems. (And the belly of the Chimera is awfully imbalancing). Besides, what function does extending the side of the saucer do anyhow?

It's even worse with the KDF ship, because where in the world would the Warp Core go? Did they move it inside the boom?

If you ask me, the Chimera should've been like a wolf in sheap's clothing (the DS9 Defenses in the Dominion War) and more weapon systems pop out by revealing more phaser arrays and torpedo banks. Or the reverse and armored parts of the ship cover the vulerable parts of the ship.

With that KDF ship, first of all, I'd scrap the ugly thing. Second, if I had to choose a transformation mode, I would have the wings lower and reveal those disruptor cannons. And a torpedo launcher extend from the engineering hull, at the same time an armored shell covered the bridge.
    amosov78 wrote: »
    Those are the super beam arrays for the lotus weapon, at least the beams fired from those locations for me.

Dude, I obviously knew that. /facepalm. I was making a sarcastic statement, not a literal statement.

Like Ktar said, it's not something you would see in Star Trek on a Federation or Klingon Starship.
    edited October 2012
    I even went to sector space to see if it had some cool new slip stream animation but it seems to me its the same one, so I guess you just go abit faster *shrug*.

The Slipstream lasts for longer than normal (1 minute instead of 30 seconds) the same as the Odyssey.

On a half-relevant note: today is the day my account says 1000 days.
    edited October 2012
    aoav160 wrote: »
    I do know of a beta player who stills pays monthly. I think he is losing this way.

I've been playing since beta. With the life cycles of many mmo's, $300 didn't make sense to hope it lasted 4 years, and I am back in school and not working so much. I can't afford to throw down that much money in one shot. And when it does go an sale, it typically is right after I renew my annual subscription.
  • jslynjslyn Member Posts: 1,788 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Like you said, there is no way that the interior could house crew within the saucer because of all those moving parts and weapon systems. (And the belly of the Chimera is awfully imbalancing). Besides, what function does extending the side of the saucer do anyhow?

Sliding away the locks that are holding the weapon's seal in place would seem to be the easiest explanation.
    edited October 2012
    Like you said, there is no way that the interior could house crew within the saucer because of all those moving parts and weapon systems.

The following video explains it well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTL7SO-BoMU
  • methos71methos71 Member Posts: 336 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    The following video explains it well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTL7SO-BoMU
    Whilst I've still been peeking at these forums daily, methinks it's been weeks since I last logged on here. Yet, I couldn't resist logging in to simply say that that video was inssssaaannnne!!!!:eek: And, it also gave me a good laugh, in lieu of all this Chimera transformative ability talk.:D
    "Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man and let history make its own judgments." -Zefram Cochrane
    Vice-Admiral Methos Corinthian
    methos71
    screenshot_2012-03-27-13-37-23.jpg

• hravikhravik Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Am I the only one that thinks of the Death Blossom from The Last Starfighter when I saw the Lotus ability? Can only fire when panels are open, drains power, fires at everything around you within range, names are flower related. :eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=MLNvUsTBGyE#t=117s
  • xenor002xenor002 Member Posts: 424
    edited October 2012
    hravik wrote: »
    Am I the only one that thinks of the Death Blossom from The Last Starfighter when I saw the Lotus ability? Can only fire when panels are open, drains power, fires at everything around you within range, names are flower related. :eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=MLNvUsTBGyE#t=117s

You don't spin around in a crazy fashion though....

And if so...we could only use it once :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] EXPLORE.

Dec '07 Account
    I EARNED 1000 days...I didn't BUY it! New LTS=Death to Vet.System: 10/10/12 Never Forget
    Something should be done for those who cared enough to have a 1000+ day sub.
  • stark2kstark2k Member Posts: 1,467 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Come to think of it, its a bit insane to make someone wait 2yrs + just to acquire the new ship. Especially when we do not know the fate of STO in the upcoming years (Not implying its going under any time soon), but nobody knows.

Truth is, if any new customer purchase or UPGRADES to LIFER they should get these rewards instantly.

Here is the thing for those that continue to grind their teeth and complain about new LIFER's. I know many Gold subscribers and now silver players that have put their time in or are putting their time STO - Just because they do not have a VET Number in their account, does not mean they haven't invested in the game both in time and via monetary means.

Again I applaud Cryptic for a sound business decision. Reap the rewards now, play hard, socialize, and enjoy the game.
    StarTrekIronMan.jpg
    edited October 2012
    stark2k wrote: »
    Come to think of it, its a bit insane to make someone wait 2yrs + just to acquire the new ship. Especially when we do not know the fate of STO in the upcoming years (Not implying its going under any time soon), but nobody knows.

Truth is, if any new customer purchase or UPGRADES to LIFER they should get these rewards instantly.

Here is the thing for those that continue to grind their teeth and complain about new LIFER's. I know many Gold subscribers and now silver players that have put their time in or are putting their time STO - Just because they do not have a VET Number in their account, does not mean they haven't invested in the game both in time and via monetary means.

Again I applaud Cryptic for a sound business decision. Reap the rewards now, play hard, socialize, and enjoy the game.

Let me start off by saying I am not pressing to get standard gold sub'ers bumped up on getting these ships. But at that rate, why not instantly upgrade anyone who is paying for a subscription? In a period of three years, with the reduced lifetime price, they still make more money off of yearly subscribers (future value of a dollar-wise). If a person has had or agreed to "x" time period in subscriptions, why not lump them in too?
  • wolvenshirewolvenshire Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Let me start off by saying I am not pressing to get standard gold sub'ers bumped up on getting these ships. But at that rate, why not instantly upgrade anyone who is paying for a subscription? In a period of three years, with the reduced lifetime price, they still make more money off of yearly subscribers (future value of a dollar-wise). If a person has had or agreed to "x" time period in subscriptions, why not lump them in too?

I've had my life time sub for awhile now. I paid a subscription for the game for a couple of months while I saved up for the lifetime subscription, then a month or two after the game first launched I bought it.
    They might as well bump up the Gold subbers, the veteran rewards (A.K.A. Lifetime perks) don't mean much anyway anymore.
    @EremiticWolf - Join Date - Oct. 2008
    [
  • commanderkassycommanderkassy Member Posts: 1,005 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Feds get an impractical transformer, KDF gets glorious space phallus.
    ♪ I'm going around not in circles but in spirographs.
    It's pretty much this hard to keep just one timeline intact. ♪
  • zerobangzerobang Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    There are some noteworthy things about the new shiny LTA Ship i would like to let you guys who have not yet got your hands on it to know about.

first some feedback to the visuals:

- NO Federation Pin Stripes or Starfleet Logos (at all)

- lack of running lights (only 2 on the side of the saucer, both red, no green) there should be more on such a big ship.

- oldschool 2010 style, Weapon Hardpoint Pimples are back (less ugly placed than on the old launchday Ships, but still obsolete, i'd suggest some clerasil to finally get rid of them)

- Shipname + Registry Number only on the Saucer section, no identification details on the nacelles / struts / belly or anywhere else where you would normally expect it

- No Fleet Emblem (at all)

so much for JamzJamz Shipyard.

Now to Geko's Engineering Section:

The Phaser Lotus power MISSFIRES ...a lot

let me explain the power first
    first you see some sort of loading sequence where the big huge orange *phaser banks* glow, as in heating up.
    then it rapid fires a few fat beams, really really fast (as you have probably seen by now).

so.

You need to have a target,
    that target needs to be and stay alive
    or the power will just STOP.

i had it like 10 times now that i targeted an NPC Ship that was about to explode and wanted to use the Phaser Lotus as a finishing move, only to see the NPC explode before the "loading" sequence of the power was even finished and it did not fire at any of the other NPC Ships around me after that either.
    You would expect it to work like Beam Fire at Will, so that it keeps shooting all other targets after the main target is gone, or without targeting any particular NPC, but it does not work out like that.

The good thing is that the power does usually not go into cooldown after missfiring, you just need to select the next target and fire again.

So its not like a huge issue, just slightly annoying because it's not a fire and forget power, you have to pay attention that it has enough time so it can do what it's supposed to do before the enemy explodes.

The Transformation Animation sometimes can get stuck.
    I had this problem before on other Ships like the MVAM-Prometheus, the Odyssey or the Bortas'qu when they use their separation powers that the animation got stuck in one mode after a cooldown ended, and the button in the Powertray only produced a cloud of fog but did neither start or end the power correctly again.
    (i have no reproduction steps for this, happens rarely and randomly)

In the last 2 days i have already seen this happening ONCE with the new 1000 day veteran Ship that it got stuck in attack mode and would not go back into regenerative mode but instead just make a sound, produce a white smoke cloud and the power did not do anything else, until i had to respawn.

Just thought some players might want to be aware of that before they jump on the lifetime sale.

Quality over Quantity and all that ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • hanoverhanover Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    No pin stripes?

NO PIN STRIPES?!?!

Oh, that is it. :mad:
    Does Arc install a root kit? Ask a Dev today!