What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Let's talk AFK Players

Comments

• Options
    aarons9aarons9 Member Posts: 961
    edited August 2013
    the only real fix is to remove CDs so to let players play the missions they want to.

i personally only like to play CSE.. but can only do so once an hour.

sure ill run ISE and KSE but i wont be into it 100%.. those missions are getting boring for me.

for getting fleet marks i only like fleet alert.. but if i complete it i get a 30 minute CD..

i do not like the defense one or the no win one.. so i drop out of fleet alert at the end.. as soon as they put in a CD for that i will probably be afk on the other 2.

getting fleet marks is a chore i dont care for.

they really need to add some fleet marks on every single mission.. even the EP missions.. i enjoy those but the XP isnt really needed nor the junk items once you get to level 50.

limiting people to the same 2 or 3 missions to get the marks they need is what is causing AFKers..
    [12:35] Vessel Two of Two Unimatrix 01 deals 225232 (271723) Plasma Damage to you with Plasma Lance.
    [12:44] Vessel One of Two Unimatrix 01 deals 1019527 (1157678) Kinetic Damage to you with Plasma Energy Bolt Explosion.
  • Options
    marshalericdavidmarshalericdavid Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Not everyone is social and wants to spend time getting a team together for each and every mission. Some people just want to quickly start playing.

Ultimate solution is to allow players to flag others as leechers and if the person that is flagged as a leecher does not engage in combat after a few min they are booted. No rewards from things that someone did not help destroy/kill that means no loot and no expertise/experience points.

Even in private matches their are still times that someone leeches. Yes it is more rare but it does happen once in a wile.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Not everyone is social and wants to spend time getting a team together for each and every mission. Some people just want to quickly start playing.

Ultimate solution is to allow players to flag others as leechers and if the person that is flagged as a leecher does not engage in combat after a few min they are booted. No rewards from things that someone did not help destroy/kill that means no loot and no expertise/experience points.

Even in private matches their are still times that someone leeches. Yes it is more rare but it does happen once in a wile.

sounds great, but what are they going to do with the lag and the long loading screens?

i have queued up a ISE once and the loading screen took so long that by the time i actually got in there they had already blown up the first transformer.

during this time, you just sit there in game. people thought i was afk and sent me lots of pms.. most were not nice.. and against the TOS.. which i did report.

instead of the AFKers being banned, the people who pm them could be..
    [12:35] Vessel Two of Two Unimatrix 01 deals 225232 (271723) Plasma Damage to you with Plasma Lance.
    [12:44] Vessel One of Two Unimatrix 01 deals 1019527 (1157678) Kinetic Damage to you with Plasma Energy Bolt Explosion.
  • Options
    shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    aarons9 wrote: »
    i really dont think the leeching would be that bad if they removed CDs and leavers penalties.

by having a 1 hr CD they are forcing is to play missions we dont want to play.
    in doing so, people just queue up and let others do the work.

when you cant leave, you have no choice but to finish the mission for them..

yes you can fail it, but in the end everyone loses.

The CD is in place so people just don't up and leave you hanging, it also cuts down on how often someone can constantly repeat a mission, and continue leeching it. If you suspect leechers simply wait till 15mins from the start of the mission has expired and leave.....Look no penalty, it's a fail safe just for that problem, but a lot of people would sooner complete it and keep feeding into the leecher's gains. I for one will not feed a leecher, and if it bothers others because I'm not contributing while I wait for my time to expire even when they are warned of someone leeching well oh well. If you want to help them by feeding them rewards that is your choice, as for me I will not contribute at all. Call me what you will, but that is how it is.
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• Options
    edited August 2013
    sounds great, but what are they going to do with the lag and the long loading screens?

i have queued up a ISE once and the loading screen took so long that by the time i actually got in there they had already blown up the first transformer.

during this time, you just sit there in game. people thought i was afk and sent me lots of pms.. most were not nice.. and against the TOS.. which i did report.

instead of the AFKers being banned, the people who pm them could be..

From what you have posted in the other thread you yourself tend to afk/leech off others, because you find the grind of doing these missions boring. If you are clicking need/greed/pass on loot without moving or contributing to the effort of completing the mission, than you are most definitely leeching and not really afk or waiting for game loading. I see TRIBBLE like this all the time, and it is very easy to tell which are truly afk and the ones who are simply leeching.

• Options
    dm19deltadm19delta Member Posts: 206 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    It doesn't take me very long to get a team together on PublicEliteSTF, and I haven't found a mission yet, and only missed an optional once. The great thing about that channel, is that it's smaller, which means word gets around faster, so if I put a team together, which usually doesn't take long, and everyone is saying player x is a leecher, then I will kick him. Sure it takes a little longer to get a group together, but not much longer, and this way, I have a better chance of catching a leech. In a PUG, I have no chance, plus I can't talk to the other team members before the match starts.
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    The Ultimate Solution to afking in Elite STFs is to have the game monitor each player's activity. If certain activities are encounter like flying in a circle and not attacking or just attacking the gate or they don't meet the minimum activity threshold, then 0 Omega Marks or 5 Omega Marks for that player. I don't know of anyone that would afk 12 Elite STFs to get the same value as actively playing in one Elite STF. They would either find other content to afk or actually play the game.
  • Options
    captainbaileycaptainbailey Member Posts: 356 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    as I posted in another thread similar to this:

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=11702141&postcount=45

STO just needs to link your ignore list to party matching. if a player is on your ignore list then you will not be partied with them. in time those people will find that they can not get parties and will have to participate just as the game was designed. its a standard practice in other mmo's and it works just fine and itll work just fine in sto.
  • Options
    tonyalmeida2tonyalmeida2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    as I posted in another thread similar to this:

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=11702141&postcount=45

STO just needs to link your ignore list to party matching. if a player is on your ignore list then you will not be partied with them. in time those people will find that they can not get parties and will have to participate just as the game was designed. its a standard practice in other mmo's and it works just fine and itll work just fine in sto.

In theory the feature is excellent. In Cryptic's implementation of said feature the entire queue system will be fubar.
    pvp = small package
  • Options
    betayuyabetayuya Member Posts: 1,059 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    since win 95, if you believe it is a leech/afk, or one is trolling, report player behavior, add to ignore, and finish the stf, if that person's IQ is that low, they don't "deserve" to speak to you, but if they can ascend to the IQ of let's say a raccoon or a dog, then there MIGHT be hope for that kind of person to learn to remember something like breathing or how to eat, or perhaps letting nature take it's course might be for the best ... lol

take care and good luck :D
    eywdK7c.jpg
  • Options
    captainbaileycaptainbailey Member Posts: 356 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    In theory the feature is excellent. In Cryptic's implementation of said feature the entire queue system will be fubar.

Why do I have the feeling that you are 100% correct. that if they went ahead and implemented this feature somehow the good players would get screwed over
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    From what you have posted in the other thread you yourself tend to afk/leech off others, because you find the grind of doing these missions boring. If you are clicking need/greed/pass on loot without moving or contributing to the effort of completing the mission, than you are most definitely leeching and not really afk or waiting for game loading. I see TRIBBLE like this all the time, and it is very easy to tell which are truly afk and the ones who are simply leeching.

i never leech, i do leave early tho in fleet alert.. that last 5 fm is not worth the 30 min cd.
  • Options
    shaltorshaltor Member Posts: 72 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    This whole thing reminds me of an issue with Dungeons & Dragons Online. In short, players were getting deluged with PM's & E-Mails from spammers.

Now this went on for some time, and finally the devs decided that trial accounts (where most of the spam was thought to come from) would have limited and complicated access to send PM's/Messages, etc.

Now several people recommended what sounded like an excellent idea...allow individual players the option to ONLY receive PM's/E-Mail from friends or guild members. It seemed like a no brainier, but of course that never happened.

Just like this issue, several people have had excellent ideas for addressing the problem, but of course Cryptic like Turbine seems incapable of communicating about or even acknowledging the issue.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    i never leech, i do leave early tho in fleet alert.. that last 5 fm is not worth the 30 min cd.

the only real fix is to remove CDs so to let players play the missions they want to.

i personally only like to play CSE.. but can only do so once an hour.

sure ill run ISE and KSE but i wont be into it 100%.. those missions are getting boring for me.

for getting fleet marks i only like fleet alert.. but if i complete it i get a 30 minute CD..

i do not like the defense one or the no win one.. so i drop out of fleet alert at the end.. as soon as they put in a CD for that i will probably be afk on the other 2.

getting fleet marks is a chore i dont care for.

they really need to add some fleet marks on every single mission.. even the EP missions.. i enjoy those but the XP isnt really needed nor the junk items once you get to level 50.

limiting people to the same 2 or 3 missions to get the marks they need is what is causing AFKers..

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=814101&page=6

Look familiar?

• Options
    vamerrasvamerras Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I regurarly meet morons in MMOs, but this guy should be the king of them.

ISE went wrong - maybe some of the team members wasn't experienced enough or just lacked of proper equipment. The first cube and the two spheres went down slowly and we also failed the bonus objective at the first nanite transformer - nanite spheres started to heal the transformer.

This guy went mad: "Reported the whole team because of failing the secondary objective" - said something like this on team chat.

And he also flew away from the battle, started leeching.

After we killed the first transformer and we went to the second transformer I typed "Maybe you should help us".

"No, I enjoy that you are starting to play right" - he said something like this and continued leeching.

When we finished the second transformer I typed: "ok guys, don't forget report him for leeching".

A few minutes later (he was far away from the battle) he joined the team again to kill the gate and the tac cube. And said: "I'm not leeching I'm teaching you how to do it properly". And he had also time to write me a private message like this:

"And I report you because of false report on me".

I said "You started leeching after the bonus failed but u instantly joined the battle when I told the team to report you."

He finished some childish threat about he recorded the battle and if I say anything then he will bann me or something - I don't even care to remember it.

I really don't understand these people.

1., this is a god forsaken GAME.
    2., Yes, sometimes I'm also annoyed with pugs. But I never ever called my teammates noobs or said anything negative. If I'm in the right mood and I have time to type in the middle of the battle sometimes I try to explain the right tactic, or just say "do this / don't do this" to save the game.
    3. this is only a GAME.
    4. I don't understand WHY these people do these stuff: the match will be much-much longer without their proper participation. And this particular "gentleman" wasn't AFK - he just watched the game from a distance. Ruining 4 other people's entertainment is just fun for him or what?

Phew... sorry guys for this post but I just had to blow off the steam.
  • Options
    johnny1051johnny1051 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    First sign of childish attitude, I block the individual. After they have shown the inability to play nice with others, there's nothing else I need to hear from them. I'm not going to tell you "don't pug", I promise. :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    vamerrasvamerras Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    johnny1051 wrote: »
    First sign of childish attitude, I block the individual. After they have shown the inability to play nice with others, there's nothing else I need to hear from them. I'm not going to tell you "don't pug", I promise. :)

It would be nice if ignoring somebody could block teaming up with him again. There is such a feature in SWTOR.

Maybe I'm lucky but I very rarely find somebody like this player in pugs. Maybe this is the reason why I'm shocked now :D

A "perfect" match with just good players would be boring after a time... With my main character I enjoy the extra challange of inexperienced players (ok, I know, maybe I should visit a doctor :D); and if the pug is actually good then I enjoy the pleasent surprise.

So beginners (and I'll not call them noobs because I hate this word) are not a concern for me. Maybe I'm annoyed for a few minutes but I forget this very quickly. I'm concerned about these childish attitudes.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    vamerras wrote: »

ISE went wrong - maybe some of the team members wasn't experienced enough or just lacked of proper equipment. The first cube and the two spheres went down slowly and we also failed the bonus objective at the first nanite transformer - nanite spheres started to heal the transformer.

This guy went mad: "Reported the whole team because of failing the secondary objective" - said something like this on team chat.

After we killed the first transformer and we went to the second transformer I typed "Maybe you should help us".

"No, I enjoy that you are starting to play right" - he said something like this and continued leeching.

When we finished the second transformer I typed: "ok guys, don't forget report him for leeching".

A few minutes later (he was far away from the battle) he joined the team again to kill the gate and the tac cube. And said: "I'm not leeching I'm teaching you how to do it properly". And he had also time to write me a private message like this:

I said "You started leeching after the bonus failed but u instantly joined the battle when I told the team to report you."

He finished some childish threat about he recorded the battle and if I say anything then he will bann me or something - I don't even care to remember it.

2., Yes, sometimes I'm also annoyed with pugs. But I never ever called my teammates noobs or said anything negative. If I'm in the right mood and I have time to type in the middle of the battle sometimes I try to explain the right tactic, or just say "do this / don't do this" to save the game.
    3. this is only a GAME.
    4. I don't understand WHY these people do these stuff: the match will be much-much longer without their proper participation. And this particular "gentleman" wasn't AFK - he just watched the game from a distance. Ruining 4 other people's entertainment is just fun for him or what?

you know to be honest you were the one doing wrong.
    it is NOT against the TOS to sit idle during a mission..

it IS however against the TOS to slader someone in chat.. calling him a leech might have gotten you banned if he did report you.
  • Options
    greuceangreucean Member Posts: 111 Arc User
    edited August 2013

This obviously states the guy is a damn imbecile. At this point I would have ignored him straight away.
    Also, the second I would have noticed anyone is leechin... POOF... I'm gone... no one's gettin free rides on my back. Not even partial free rides. End of story. Theres plenty of afkr's out there and one of the reasons they exist is that they are encouraged by the other players indulgent benevolence.
  • Options
    ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Ignore him and report. Don't even go into an argument.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • Options
    reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I've ragequit a few times when people have been especially stupid (way beyond failing the optional, like beat-your-head-on-your-desk stupid), but reporting people then deliberately idling (and still using up your time in the process?). Thats.......special.
  • Options
    latinumbarlatinumbar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    4. I don't understand WHY these people do these stuff

Stupid is as stupid does
    ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited August 2013
    PUGS will always have a childish element. Sadly there are way too many stories about bad experiences, and yes we all have them.

Ignore works better if paired with using a channel or two.

But I prefer to look upon the better ways of assembling PUGS.

1.) PUG with friends or fleeties. You can always add players from the STF channels.

2.) Join the STF channels. PublicEliteSTF isn't bad, but anyone can join. EliteSTF has rules, and they are a good group.

After 100's of STF runs, you end up seeing a variety of STF Player Archetypes.

My Two Bits

Admiral Thrax
  • Options
    corvallecorvalle Member Posts: 254 Arc User
    edited August 2013

3. this is only a GAME.

If its a game, then why bother trying to be an internet god and report other players? Just mind you own business and put the person on ignore.
  • Options
    stofskstofsk Member Posts: 1,744 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    If confronted with a leecher I'd be more willing to eat the penalty and quit, first trying to convince everyone else to quit too, but I wouldn't stick around and aid and abet someone leeching off the group's effort.

I wouldn't bother engaging past trying to ascertain whether the person was leeching or whether they were afk for whatever reason (it happens, I've certainly had to get up to do something important).
  • Options
    jetwtfjetwtf Member Posts: 1,207
    edited August 2013
    Reporting for leeching does nothing but irritate the person going over reports since its not against the rules, reporting for being a bad player gives whoever reads the report something to laugh at.

When someone rages hit ignore and report them. When they rage and start belittling the rest of the players they are breaking the TOS. It is called abuse. If you respond to them and make that person even more angry then you are also part of that problem so just ignore them.

As far as new and inexperianced players coming in and not having a clue, thats part of doing a pug where you can be challenged to do better than normal and offer to help teach the new players. Getting a team of all experianced and having 8 minutes left on the optional timer when it ends is a treat to enjoy and a few GG said before leaving.

If you join a pug that goes horribly wrong and the mission itself fails then you have a good story to tell the fleetmates and something to laugh about.
    "I'm drunk, whats your excuse for being an idiot?" - Unknown drunk man. :eek:
  • Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I understand the need to vent. This game sometimes leaves the Phreek Attractor setting way too high. Been sorely tempted on more than one occasion to get into an Internet b***hslap fight. Then, I realized that if I did so, the crazies had won. By turning me into one of them.

Hard sometimes to bite a lip and not respond. Especially after numerous provocations. But in the end, it takes two people to have an argument. By not responding, you can deny someone like this the attention they so desperately crave. And that was this person's primary goal here. Being noticed. Who leeches and then watches and comments on the play of the people they're leeching off of? C'mon! Really? And then this person comes here and sees this thread. More attention garnered. You were the grand prize for the day.

Please understand, I am not criticizing here. If you need to vent then vent. But maybe emailing or PMing a fleetmate might be a better choice. It gives you the satisfaction of blowing off some steam whilst denying someone like that the attention they were after.

Naah, TRIBBLE the sensible stuff. Let's drop the bomb on 'em and hang their bloody heads on a stick outside Quinn's office. :D
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • Options
    foundrelicfoundrelic Member Posts: 1,380 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    you know to be honest you were the one doing wrong.
    it is NOT against the TOS to sit idle during a mission..

it IS however against the TOS to slader someone in chat.. calling him a leech might have gotten you banned if he did report you.

Leeching reports are handled as TOS violations.

So, you're wrong there.
  • Options
    captainednacaptainedna Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    foundrelic wrote: »
    Leeching reports are handled as TOS violations.

So, you're wrong there.

unless you report the guy 10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 times .I and everyone in opvp reported a guy x^133333333 times and he is still leeching.

even worse .There are idiots who not only afk but also troll.If you insult them (thou you have to insult the smart people who allow this) they report you and get warn.Note: TRIBBLE with the nerves of players is also against TOS.

the best thing you can do is to prevent other people from having to deal with this problem so each time somone asks you "should I play a game made by cryptic /pwe" you should always say no...you only save them nerves .Im sorry for having to say this but this is the only conclusion I can get from this kind of behavior.

P.S. lol at GMs.Thank god they exist to ban people for doing gorn jokes or posting oddly named doffs in chat.
  • Options
    gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I've seen a few people rage leech. I've always wondered if they weren't really planning to leech from the get go and just used the opportunistic chance to make it look like someone else's fault.
This discussion has been closed.