test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Official Tholian Invasion Feedback Thread

Comments

• alastorforthrighalastorforthrigh Member Posts: 222 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Drop rate on the set seems to be ok. Though it'd be nice to also work towards the items as well. I've gotten two Cryo Launchers, but no shield or armor. It's like when you have a deflector already in one of the Omega Force sets and keep getting Deflector Tech.
    2qTOAB3.gif
  • goldentulipgoldentulip Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    What I have noticed so far:

- When first land at Nukara Prime, characters are set on fire for 2 to 3 second.

- Ophidian Cane does not work.

- Shutdown Codes portion in one of the 2 exterior medium quests are not counting when you collect them, nothing happens and the quest does not progress.

- Instructions on how to obtain Environmental Suit would be appreciated. Player tend to stand stuck once landed wondering how to get one.

- Also, its not clear on how to collect Fleet Marks and donate them. Well the whole new fleet system is kinda confusing. No indication on how to enter your Starbase as well.
    fss_overall.png
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • alastorforthrighalastorforthrigh Member Posts: 222 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Crystal Mining: Either reduce the required number from 500 to 200, or drastically increase the amount of crystals you get while mining. Having to do this in a combat zone is annoying. Having to do this in a combat zone and getting nearly nothing for crystals and having to repeat about 30 times, is a pain in the aft.
    2qTOAB3.gif
  • draco10901draco10901 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I found the tholians appearance to be true to the original series. Other than a bit of lag due to high player volume and the Tholains reacting slowly due to the lag I found the effects satisfactory, the Tholains a suitable threat due to their reputation, and their tech just... felt right, it suited them. I hadn't had a chance to test the Fleet features but the rest struck me as well done. So either I'm easy to please or this was well done.
  • naghotshaarnaghotshaar Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    SRy, just got someone who told me correctly. sry for spam
  • beezle23beezle23 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Hi,

i just landed on Nukara Prime, didn?t found how to get that Suite until a nice Person gave me one as a Present. After that he told me where i could normally get one. So i just equipped the one from him (Armored Environmental Suit [RadTox][Temp] ) and left the Basecamp......

After 5m i started to getting fried... maybe it hadn?t took the change, so i reequipped the Suit... same happend.
    Afterwards i bought the lowest Suit from Dili-Store and tried it with that one.... same Result.

So i can?t leave the Base Camp without getting fried, which wouldn?t let me get the Breen DOff i fear :(

Hope you?ll get it fixed.

You have to activate the suit. When you equip the suit two buttons pop up above your toolbar. Click on the left one to turn the suit on.

---

They should add an NPC to buy the suits from like the mining station.
    -After loading the screen to beam down to the planet another screen pops up with my character but there is a rock in front of me and it doesnt look 'nice'.
    -my character was set on fire before I put my space suite on
    -When walking on the planet it seems that there is a bit of lag (slow refresh rate)
    -Easy mission was good, no errors and loading platform to get back to base camp etc. was working fine
    -medium mission; no fighting back from the NPC.
    -last: my Quantum Shadows (Shard of Possibilities) went up in flames as soon as they arrived. Didn't know shadows can burn btw :)
  • thestormsongthestormsong Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Just tested a few missions on Nukara together with my bf. I did the easy exterior missions
    yesterday without problems, and we completed them again today. We also played the medium difficulty missions, and tried to take on the Tholian leader (didn't go so well :P).

I must admit I am rather disappointed though. I was hoping for some real story missions,
    but the Tholian incursion are nothing but a boring, done-it-before-in-every-other-MMO grind.
    And now I have to compete with all the other players in the area to complete them, too! I'm sorry, but this kind of gameplay is not my idea of fun :(

As for bugs, I think they have been mentioned before: "Closing doors" not completable and
    character is set on fire right after beam in. I would also appreciate an EV Suit vendor in the
    base camp (I had one, but my bf did not, took a little while before we noticed that it is possible to buy one in the dil store). I also had quite a bit of lag, often making my char slide backwards several steps etc.

Joined in March, 2011. Lifer since December, 2011.
  • trek21trek21 Member Posts: 2,246 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    If the Tholian Invasion goes to Holodeck like it is currently (always available, maybe an event to increase rewards), then please do the same to the Deferi event.

After all, it's time-gated, and you're putting the Vault shuttle event on the PvE queue. Can you please do the same with the Deferi Invasion, or make it a permament zone like the Tholian one?
    Was named Trek17.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh', if only due to personal standards.
  • x5xxx5xx Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Love shoot Tholian like Bugs in Starship Troopers :) And if I can give a constructive feedback, I think the easy and medium modes needs more aggressiveness in they A.I. (and maybe more enemies too).

The rest is awesome, please keep to work like that :)
  • tommyatstarfleettommyatstarfleet Member Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I like it alot! The tribble test server, tholian missions, and the fleet starbase really hasn't given me alot of difficulties when it comes to lagging and bugs so i am very happy with it.:D
  • trisahnatrisahna Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I've been enjoying the new additions- however I do think that for the zone-wide missions, especially because the numbers are so high on the items required, that perhaps the quest completion stacks across all players in the area? for example, if there are ten players not teamed together killing tholians, perhaps let all the kills in the vacinity count towards the zone-wide mission?

Laggy as sin, but that;s only because there are so many active enemies and people in the same map. the armored EV suits are an interesting touch, and the map feels challenging enough to me, especially wiht the crazy respawn rate on the tholian enemies.

I don;t know why people say the tholians don;t attack on sight- i have yet to get any mining done without getting interrupted.

Anyway, overall i am enjoying the new missions, and I am very glad they are infinately repeatable.
  • hsbf6hsbf6 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    1. The take elevator messages are cut off in the interior maps
    2. Respawn on red mission for leader respawns you in the cave interior
    3. yellow mission number 2 have 10 codes but can't used them or figure out how?
    4. some beam to messages show twice but it's unclear to where
    5. transfering fleet marks to klingon starbase freezes. (update this happens when you tranfer 0 marks)
    6. expertise contribute does not disable when expertise is maxed out and shows negative numbers. (support local systems kdf)
  • captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    hsbf6 wrote: »
    1. The take elevator messages are cut off in the interior maps
    2. some beam to messages show twice but it's unclear to where

The messages are pretty much all cut off for the elevator and the transporters, while in combat and you can't tell where they lead too as the location text does not show.

if you exit combat you can read them fine.
  • praghaspraghas Member Posts: 239 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I do not like how our Bridge Officers do not accompany us in the Tholian ground area. I don't really miss them or need them, but it doesn't make sense.

"You there, Admiral, captain of a ship, in charge of anywhere from 25 - like 4,000 people, go down, by yourself, to a very dangerous war zone and do some stuff, don't go with a security detachment or any help what-so-ever, you'll be fine..."

...Just not something I see someone saying to me, it just doesn't seem right to send a captain down alone on missions of this sort. At the very least one bridge officer should accompany us.
    Cloaking generators break down at first sign of language.
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,149 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Just tested a few missions on Nukara together with my bf. I did the easy exterior missions
    yesterday without problems, and we completed them again today. We also played the medium difficulty missions, and tried to take on the Tholian leader (didn't go so well :P).

I must admit I am rather disappointed though. I was hoping for some real story missions,
    but the Tholian incursion are nothing but a boring, done-it-before-in-every-other-MMO grind.
    And now I have to compete with all the other players in the area to complete them, too! I'm sorry, but this kind of gameplay is not my idea of fun :(

As for bugs, I think they have been mentioned before: "Closing doors" not completable and
    character is set on fire right after beam in. I would also appreciate an EV Suit vendor in the
    base camp (I had one, but my bf did not, took a little while before we noticed that it is possible to buy one in the dil store). I also had quite a bit of lag, often making my char slide backwards several steps etc.

I agree with this.. story wise... It felt like a random bunch of short... kill X.. save X.. find X stuff... I want to know why the Tholians are here... Why they have a Terran ship underground... what are they doing with the random blue portals ? What do the Iconions have on this planet?
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    zerobang wrote: »
    Tholians -> use SPIDER WEBS?... white gooey stuff? like... earth Spiders?
    not good enough!
    let them use yellow energy webs or something...
    crystal growths... anything... but please don't just turn them into lame Spiders, there is no precedent in Canon that Tholians would use Spiderwebs on the Ground.
    I hope this is just some placeholder from some spider mob from NWN or CO and that STO Tholians get something a bit more unique.

You forget about Tholian Silk. Given that and Tholians using webs, it's not hard to imagine them as a type of spider.
  • cherubragecherubrage Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    praghas wrote: »
    I do not like how our Bridge Officers do not accompany us in the Tholian ground area. I don't really miss them or need them, but it doesn't make sense.

"You there, Admiral, captain of a ship, in charge of anywhere from 25 - like 4,000 people, go down, by yourself, to a very dangerous war zone and do some stuff, don't go with a security detachment or any help what-so-ever, you'll be fine..."

...Just not something I see someone saying to me, it just doesn't seem right to send a captain down alone on missions of this sort. At the very least one bridge officer should accompany us.

LOL I envision that when they lined everyone up and asked for volunteers everyone but you took a step backwards.
  • dddircdddirc Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Have to agree with the comments from others about the ground missions:

Negative points

"Closed doors" is broken.
    Hardly any Tholians near Outpost Bravo.
    EV suits should default to on. Bursting into flames after you put the suit on in only funny once.
    Bank or suit vendor needed the base.

Positive points

Tholians look good
    Respawn make the missions "pacey"

I know this will make my unpopular, but I like the way that engineers suffer. Sometimes the tools you have are just unsuitable for the job. A way to "solve" the problem would to be issue engineers with a "Hostile Environment" kit.

I think there is a lot of potential & am hopeful that the feedback will get the bugs and negative points fixed.
  • praghaspraghas Member Posts: 239 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    cherubrage wrote: »
    LOL I envision that when they lined everyone up and asked for volunteers everyone but you took a step backwards.

I just keep imagining them explaining it to me and it getting worse and worse... "Oh, yah, they also have these web silky things that they can trap you in, but its no big deal. Oh we also really don't know a whole lot about them, but what we don't know, wont hurt us.... Oh, one more thing, you are going to have to take your armour off, yah, the system is very hot, probably toxic too, so you'll need to just wear an EV suit. Its unlikely that you will get in combat in this war zone ad have your suit ruptured [cough]. But yah, just make sure to go alone, your bridge officers have huge wrenches they need to carry around and many buttons to press to look busy. Again, heated combat zone, safest place in the world..."
    Cloaking generators break down at first sign of language.
  • eiledoneiledon Member Posts: 595 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    It's a team map praghas - you know other players. think of it like a STF ground area where no boffs are permitted. Perhaps they will reuse the map for a future FE and you will be able to bring your crew along with you.

Incursion Feedback:

Generally enjoyed the entire environment. The exterior set reminded me of the set they used to use on TNG and Voyager "Planet Hell" for all their cavey/rocky enviroments. Would like perhaps a bit more variation in the crystals - all blue looks a bit boring, perhaps have some green ones (similar to those as spawned by the project leader in the hard mission). The interior set was great, with lots of levels to run around in (felt very similar to the prison set from last FE) and enjoyed the combat generally.

I would say the interior hard mission was perhaps a little too easy - i managed to get to within 3 seconds of completing phase 3 on my poorly equipped VA toon. Also where there are doors which lead to rooms with no other exit (there are a couple of these small areas) it would probably be good to randomly have a tholian hiding in these to add to the fun - otherwise it is just a pointless dead end.

The exterior hard mission seems to be bugged in that it won't complete for some players. Also I felt the timer on the trappers webs needs to be extended a little, I was snagged and pulled into the acid, managed to get free only for the same spider to snag me immediately and pull me back in. So basically in the time alloted I had no time to administer any healing. Seems a bit off somehow.

Also when leaving the caves, I got caught in the door on exit. I had to re-enter the caves and leave again to free myself. This only happened once to me but worth checking.

Oh and if you respawn from Exterior Hard, you end up by the lift in the caves. This doesn't seem right. I could see respawning at base, but I would prefer either respawning at Point Charlie or just within the instance.

Like others above me, I could have done without having to go through the two step process to pick up items.hoping this is just an oversight and not the way of the future or STFs are going to be even more annoying what with the needgreedpass roll as well! ;)

I gave another player who didnt have an ev suit one of my reward pack green quality ones, but despite equipping and enabling it she went on to get burned up on leaving base. The same occured with a dilithium store purchased suit. I noticed several other people in orange EV suits having similar problems.

Other than that, really only the known bugs already in the announcement thread.

Edit: I presume the lack of tholians at point bravo is down to the broken "closing doors" portals not actually being open to spawn any?

Edit 2: Oh nearly forgot. When you contact base from a terminal to hand in missions, it seems to gives you the reward for your first completed mission in the list, but then you still see the mission and have to click it to get rid of it so you can retake it.

Edit 3: Add an option at the commander (or add a requisitions npc to the base) where users who do not have a basic EV suit can pick one up or have the commander advise that they are available from the dilithium store (in the out of character text)

Edit 4: A query about reward boxes, I had presumed that a blue reward box would give you a blue quality reward, however I generally got green quality rewards from the blue box although i did get a very nice purple cryo blaster from a blue box. Is the reward list per box quality finalised or is this still a work in progress - i.e once this hits tribble will green boxes give green rewards with a low chance of blue, blue give blue rewards with a low chance of purple, and purple give purple rewards?
  • lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Okay so I'm seeing a lot of people having problems with the mining part. If you go down to the area with the trapped NPCs for the Rescuing Redshirts missions, they have large crystals there with no Tholians around. The crystals there was giving me 40-45 shards each which made getting the 500 needed for the mission very easy. Don't try to mine them in the combat zones with the Tholians around, you will only get like 5 shards when they interrupt you. So while it could use some adjustments for sure, this is a nice work around for those of you needing to finish it.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • trek21trek21 Member Posts: 2,246 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    On the Zone-Wide missions (Kill Tholians and Mine Crystals), it appears the numbers keep changing. For example, one time I picked up Thinning the Hive, it said to kill 100 Tholians. But the next time I picked it up, it said to kill 50.

Plus I believe I read Azurianstar saying he wanted the Crystal number lowered from 500 to 200... when the one time I got it, it was 250.

Are these intentional?
    Was named Trek17.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh', if only due to personal standards.
  • eiledoneiledon Member Posts: 595 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    it may be random. my mining mission was for 500 - got 35 fragments for 700 points. so to get 500 looking at about 14 runs through the mining game (with scores of 700+) to get 500. seems a bit onerous to me and i will be avoiding it like the plague when it goes live (I avoid dilithium mining too - was fun for all of 10 minutes then got boring fast)
  • c0nd1t10nr3dc0nd1t10nr3d Member Posts: 638 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    trek21 wrote: »
    when the one time I got it, it was 250.

Same here when I picked up the mission. It was 250 but had to drop it cos none of the crystals would prompt me to start mining. I'll try again with the Rescue mission mentioned above tho. ;)
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    trek21 wrote: »
    On the Zone-Wide missions (Kill Tholians and Mine Crystals), it appears the numbers keep changing. For example, one time I picked up Thinning the Hive, it said to kill 100 Tholians. But the next time I picked it up, it said to kill 50.

Plus I believe I read Azurianstar saying he wanted the Crystal number lowered from 500 to 200... when the one time I got it, it was 250.

Are these intentional?

When I first beamed down, I was offered 2 Zone Missions. One asking for 250 Crystals, another 500.

I should revise my post, but it was very frustrating to mine the crystals where there were Tholians about (mainly in the interior), because you got 15, maybe 20 crystals before the Tholians respawned and interupted your mining. Which made 500 rather crazy.

However, after I initially posted. I found that you could safely mine and get around 40-45 crystals per pop in the Medium Exterior area. Which made getting to 500 rather quickly (though still a boring grind). So not sure if they are going to add mobs in that area, or we will end up fighting other players to mine crystals. Which will make it a really frustrating mission to complete.
  • captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Same here when I picked up the mission. It was 250 but had to drop it cos none of the crystals would prompt me to start mining. I'll try again with the Rescue mission mentioned above tho. ;)

i think after you do the first map wide one a larger one opens up.

so on my fed i did the kill 100 tholians then the scan 500 appeared.

on my klingon the scan was up first and not the kill 100 tholians, and i got 250 first, and then 500.
  • lordfuzunlordfuzun Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    So, does the CRM-200 do extra damage to Tholians?

Well a Weapon i got from an Advanced Thoilan Dropbox (ik.e. weapons and armor meant to fight vs Tholians) was essentially a Pulsewave Rifle that does cold damage. I assume that's a big hint.
  • jjumetleyjjumetley Member Posts: 281 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    A few people said it's strange to open the same 4-5 prison cells all over until they hit the goal of 20. Well... there are enough switches in FOUR ROOMS! :)

As to the bugs - I guess they are all listed above.
  • danizpwedanizpwe Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Exterior: Industrial espionage
    - if tholians jump into acid,you must jump after it to get the loot
    - picking the loot using mouse click sometimes doesnt work on tholian loot

- Team chat is STIL NOT FIXED >_<