What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

So...how do you like the new forums?

Comments

• Options
    dassemstodassemsto Member Posts: 792 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    This is the biggest piece of [insert profanity of choise] to hit STO in a loooong time! Replacing a fully functioning forum with this TRIBBLE...

Bad things about new forum:
    - Can not set custom avatar
    - Can not keep old username
    - Can not access old threads
    - Can not edit old threads
    - Limited customizing for signature
    - Crappy looking screen UI
    - All old subscriptions gone
    - Does not auto-subscribe threads you create.
    - Cursor not visible in empty lines of the reply box
    - unintuitive messy layout
    - Dev tracker not working
    - Join date reset
    - no in-game mail access

Good things about the new forum/webpage:
    - ???
    - Can not buy c-points
  • Options
    rjam0rjam0 Member Posts: 70 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    My main problems are that I can't have my own avatar,

(that's how I knew who people were on here, I never even read the names)

and what is with the
    , [Multi-on], [Post Reply] buttons?

The
    and [Multi-on] aren't even in line with each other.
  • Options
    theolopboytheolopboy Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    And where has the local time zone setting gone? Never seen a forum re-iteration that makes things worse before, different yes but this just looks like it was rushed out the door to meet a deadline :frown:
    Correct forum join and LTS subscriber from date : 27/01/2010
  • Options
    worilworil Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Reminds me of the pre FTP STO forums. The ZEN banner and all text buttons need to be replaced in my opinion though.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    keisyeakeisyea Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    The new forums make me cry.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    saekiithsaekiith Member Posts: 534 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    I absolutely hate the new design...
    It is so... unfinished? It is simply not right...

The spaces in the threadlist are far to big...
    The Posts layout seems to be inverted (controls on Top?)
    Names UNDER the Avater?!

And the Worst thing...
    Having to make a PWE Account... I hate it...
    Selor Andaram Ephelion Kiith
  • Options
    zadamazadama Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    The forum changes are vile and completely uncalled for. They've removed a lot of functionality, and it's much harder to recognise anyone on here now.

In other words, they've cocked up.

I've been a big supporter of them in the past, but this is one of the most rediculous changes that they've ever, ever made.
  • Options
    snoge00fsnoge00f Member Posts: 1,812 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    The bestest forums of all time. :eek:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    meeheemeehee Member Posts: 85
    edited June 2012
    what i largely dont get is why there is such a visual change... from what i can see the forum software is still the same, VBulletin. All they had to do was add in the merge account functionality... there is no reason for such a drastic change of the site features and visual functionality !
  • Options
    mikeward1701mikeward1701 Member Posts: 277 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    This is a great steaming pile of targ ****!

> Came to the site to log in,
    > Used Cryptic creds,
    > Was asked if I had a PWE account I chose No,
    > Was taken back to the homepage/registration page with some details already filled in,
    > Filled in the blanks and hit register,
    > Was then shown page congratulating me on linking accounts

It DID NOT state the PWE account I was about to create would be auto-linked! :mad:

The page and process gave the impression that I was being asked to create a separate PWE account, which I would be able to manually choose to link at a later time!

Can linked Cryptic-PWE accounts be Un-Linked? If so how do I go about doing this? :confused:

And to top it off the forums are completely f****d!
    > The design has too much empty space
    > No custom avatars
    > No advanced forum options, such as changing the number of posts displayed per page.
    > Bulleted lists don't work (even using the bullet character [Alt]+[0]+[1]+[4]+[9] doesn't)
    > All my subscribed threads are now GONE :mad:

Whoever thought this was a good idea needs taking out back and... well I can't say what as its against PWE rules, but I'm sure you get the idea.
    Fleet Admiral Ward
    Commander, Starfleet Corps of Engineers • 7th Fleet
    Commanding Officer, U.S.S. HEART OF OAK • NX-1759-B • Odyssey class Star Cruiser ( Lexington Tactical Configuration)
    )
    (Steam - feel free to follow/friend me : )
  • Options
    happymarvinhappymarvin Member Posts: 89 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    To quote Homer Simpson: "Urge to kill raising... Raising... Raising..."
  • Options
    nagoraknagorak Member Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Maybe it's silly, but the lack of having a custom avatar really hits me below the belt. It really bothers me for some reason. :frown:
  • Options
    saekiithsaekiith Member Posts: 534 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Oh and WHY are the Champions Online Forums still the same and not ours?
    Selor Andaram Ephelion Kiith
  • Options
    zadamazadama Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    I'm also being told that I last visited the forums on the 31st December, 1969.
  • Options
    ramos40kramos40k Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    The user experience is TRIBBLE. Who designed this POS??
  • Options
    aexraelaexrael Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    - Couldn't find such basic options as Posts per Page in a thread, I dislike pages in threads.
    - The forum is also way too huge, needs to be shrunk considerably.
    - Mark forums read is also missing.

Since they are reworking the forum, they may as well Merge 'Star Trek Online Discussion' and 'General Community Feedback', they are two sub forums which serves the same purpose, only one sees considerably less traffic. And The Academy already covers general inquiries about STO specifics.

'Free-to-Play Q&A' and 'The Academy' should also be merged, concentrate the "New player questions" in the same section under 'The Academy'.
  • Options
    th3xr34p3rth3xr34p3r Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    metalbard wrote: »
    Not that I am afraid of change or anything, but I much rather preferred the old forums. It was more fully formed and was a lot more "flexible" with the options you had at hand.
    just think what a little warning would have done for us. all the important threads we had linked to in our sigs, many buried +20 pages deep, never to be found again. we could have bookmarked everything we wanted to keep track of, or remake the thread with the info from the now uneditable threads after the change over, if we ONLY HAD SOME WARNING. i cant believe they just did this without even clueing us in about it, other then a vague maintenance notice. so much valuable information flushed down the toilet

Those two posts sum up the entirety of how I feel with this site change. I am disappointed that I cannot use my old sig aswell as my own avatar for the forums. Please re-enable the use of BBCODE in sigs aswell as let us use our own avatars for the forums.
    [SIGPIC]Click to visit Subspace-Radio[/SIGPIC]
    Twitter | Blog | Original Join Date: Dec 2007 | Gaming Setup | Raptr Profile | Gamer DNA
    The opinions expressed in my posts are my own views and do not reflect on any other entity(s) or person(s) I may or may not represent at the time.
  • Options
    happyhappyj0yj0yhappyhappyj0yj0y Member Posts: 699 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    saekiith wrote: »
    Oh and WHY are the Champions Online Forums still the same and not ours?

Don't worry. The PWE APPROVED(tm) forum suck and fail will get them soon enough. Much like we'll likely soon see some implementation of CO's new PWE APPROVED(tm) suck and fail "crafting" system here in STO (and YES their system sucks and fails even in comparison to STO's, despite the fact that STO's kind of sucks and fails all on it's own.)

... and my GOD! This new forum can't even support a proper trademark symbol? Jeez...
  • Options
    havamhavam Member Posts: 1,735 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    couldn't be less happy about them
  • Options
    deyvidkdfdeyvidkdf Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    It is understandable that a change to the website and forums would be inevitable at some point, but I dislike the manner in which it was implemented. There is much about the forums that feels broken and unfinished.

I'm hoping this is the early stage of implementation and we will see the forums improved and expanded.

Two of the Foundry sub-forums are missing, apparently "hidden" or not set to be displayed, which Brandon has said will be corrected. So hopefully we can see other aspects updated and expanded over time. It is still just "day one" of the new forum (although you would think they would have done internal testing on internal server before going live).

I'm hoping we will be able to upload custom avatars again soon, since it is a big factor in personalization and player identity.

Another thing I'm hoping for is an update to the buttons such as "Reply", "Preview", etc. so they would better match the theme of the website and forum rather than the default images that have the odd white pixels around the edges which makes me think they were intended for a white or light grey background, not a black background.

It would be nice if the buttons looked a little more like an LCARS button, similar to the "Enable Astrometrics" button you see when flying around in sector space.
  • Options
    lotusteadragonlotusteadragon Member Posts: 72 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Change can be interesting. Even fun. This, though, this is bad. I mean, if they're going to change, at least complete the change and not shove out a half finished forum. I run a number of message boards, and if I'm overhauling something, I don't put it back on the block until it's ready. IN universe, if this were a starship, we'd be missing the warp engines, the airlocks, and the shuttlebay doors would be opening and closing at random. Not to mention the outside of the ship would have tarps over sections open to space. I mean, this is awful!
    Lotus_Tea_Dragon_STOBanner_Sig150x500.jpg
  • Options
    catrimcatrim Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    New forums make the baby Jesus cry.
  • Options
    zeus#0893 zeus Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Only one way to describe this mess...

FUBAR!
  • Options
    eurekamarueurekamaru Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    These new forums suck. Not least the whole needing a PWE account to post on them. Way to be cool to your subbers since beta; I refuse to link my account to PWE. I'll have to simply guess how old my real accoutn is.

They look absolutely vile, too. Ugh. One more nail in the coffin...

:mad:
  • Options
    dmfreddie_1426533189dmfreddie_1426533189 Member Posts: 84 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    The background looks great - ill give them that but ahhh don't like it. You can do very little in these forums now and as a long time user it took ages setting up again had to create another PWE account which didn't help. The advert at the top is stupid as ZEN doesn't work for STO yet and the price for it in my thinking has gone up...not happy.:frown:
    Join date: April 2010 ; Lifetime Sub since April 2010. Actual 1000 day vet.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Proud Member of: Fubar Inc.
  • Options
    eurekamarueurekamaru Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    If you don't want to see the adverts, use Adblock+.

:mad:
  • Options
    lotusteadragonlotusteadragon Member Posts: 72 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    dmfreddie wrote: »
    The background looks great - ill give them that but ahhh don't like it. You can do very little in these forums now and as a long time user it took ages setting up again had to create another PWE account which didn't help. The advert at the top is stupid as ZEN doesn't work for STO yet and the price for it in my thinking has gone up...not happy.:frown:

Actually, I believe the conversion rate between STO and ZEN is still the same. You pay the same amount of money as what you got for C-Points.
    Lotus_Tea_Dragon_STOBanner_Sig150x500.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    eurekamaru wrote: »
    These new forums suck. Not least the whole needing a PWE account to post on them. Way to be cool to your subbers since beta; I refuse to link my account to PWE. I'll have to simply guess how old my real accoutn is.

They look absolutely vile, too. Ugh. One more nail in the coffin...

Actually just click on 'My Acount' at the very top of the page thats how I know that I have been subscribed for 795 days :smile:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Actually, I believe the conversion rate between STO and ZEN is still the same. You pay the same amount of money as what you got for C-Points.

Fairplay but I just tried to buy ZEN/C Points whatever and it wouldnt show my character list on my STO account...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    mgazermgazer Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    On a scale of 1-10 my like of the new forum is about -11. :frown:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]