What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

So...how do you like the new forums?

Comments

• Options
    kantusxxxkantusxxx Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Yeah... honestly, of all the things that suck about the new setup, and boy are there a lot, the join date is probably the one that matters least...
    edited June 2012
    People who demand respect and reverence because of longevity, probably don't deserve either.
    For me, it's not about respect and reverence. If you read on, you see that my point was that it was about history.

Many of us have a history with this game. I don't enjoy having the slate wiped clean without any say in the matter.

You may disagree, but that does not make my feelings on the matter less valid.

If you find yourself participating in a discussion, and you know nothing can ever persuade you to alter your view, please recognize that you are not being objective about the subject at hand and further discussion with you is futile.

=/\= Fleet Admiral Shin
    Subscriber since 1-28-2010
    d1xder6-d8102b36-c444-41a4-915a-3fa1a47b1a06.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2U5YjM0YjRmLWU1N2EtNDRlMi05YWNhLWU2OWI4MWUzODcwYlwvZDF4ZGVyNi1kODEwMmIzNi1jNDQ0LTQxYTQtOTE1YS0zZmExYTQ3YjFhMDYuanBnIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.KaJ-YJnj-4adaDVwUlEGPSXWvcMN1Znn3NnGZm2wXFg
  • Options
    happyhappyj0yj0yhappyhappyj0yj0y Member Posts: 699 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Hmm.

Remember when we lost the useful calendar we all liked? Remember when the spin for that was that we'd get a Foundry spot on the main page? Guess what's gone from the main page...

But hey, in it's place we have a spot that says how many people "Like'ed" on Facebook. How... useful. So much better than a calendar. Speaking of which, you know what would have been really nice to have on a calendar? A warning that the forums were going to be screwed with...
  • Options
    dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    civilphil wrote: »
    For me, it's not about respect and reverence. If you read on, you see that my point was that it was about history.

Many of us have a history with this game. I don't enjoy having the slate wiped clean without any say in the matter.

You may disagree, but that does not make my feelings on the matter less valid.

agreed. having a join date around the game's original launch gives me experience credentials, and could made people think i might know what im talking about when i try to give helpful information. now i look like i could be the newest f2p player. if i recall, the 900 day vet reward did list a new forum title, so this might be rectified soon from that.
  • Options
    eradicator84eradicator84 Member Posts: 1,116 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    This isn't a very good switch over PWE. And I mean PWE too not Cryptic, as I'm sure Cyptic had no reason to do what ever it is that just happened.

Hopefully you'll be bringing functionality back in a short amount of time. Until then you can all put up with my horrendous signature.
    AFMJGUR.jpg
  • Options
    happyhappyj0yj0yhappyhappyj0yj0y Member Posts: 699 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    agreed. having a join date around the game's original launch gives me experience credentials, and could made people think i might know what im talking about when i try to give helpful information. now i look like i could be the newest f2p player. if i recall, the 900 day vet reward did list a new forum title, so this might be rectified soon from that.

No, that would be the 1000 Day reward.
  • Options
    mirror1mastermirror1master Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Lost my Forum Handle due to no dashes allowed
    Avatar Lost and replaced by a generic one
    Dev Tracker History - GONE
    Personal Post History - GONE
    No Access to STO mail
    STO Join Date - GONE
    Linking Accounts - Not Intuitive (have to register PWE, then log out, log back in under Cryptic, then Link)
    Signature does not convert during account link
    PWE Forum Format less readable for me
    :frown:

Nice job on preserving Career Officer Blue Names for Lifetimers though. That's the only good thing I have to say.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    kandorouskandorous Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    This scares me.
  • Options
    wildthyme467989wildthyme467989 Member Posts: 1,286 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    As you can see, things have certainly changed. So...

How do you like the new STO forums?

Afterwards, please share your thoughts :redface:

Like the layout, but the fact that you have to have a Perfect World account to post here is a little excessive, I didn't want to merge my Cryptic account as I have no interest in any of Perfect World's other titles so didn't really see the point. In fact I wasn't going to until Brandon said I could change my old forum handle by creating a Perfect World account and merging it with my Cryptic one.

Another kicker is that I can't see the report post button, unless there's some other way I haven't looked for yet
  • Options
    psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,648 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Actually, the only way for early adopters of the forum to distinguish themselves is through the Special Envoy Program. Which Cryptic announced on May 7, 2009.

"Working on a game is extremely difficult and totally exhausting. When that game is a triple-A effort as big as Star Trek Online ... Oh, it gets real tough. But, sometimes the toil just doesn?t matter - sometimes it all comes together and sometimes we get to lift our tired eyes, hit up the forums, smile a little and realize it?s completely worth it. Completely.

With that in mind, it?s our pleasure to introduce the Special Envoy Program as a small thank you to those who?ve signed up to become part of this amazing Star Trek Online experience.

The Special Envoy Program awards everyone who?s signed up for our forums (or will sign up before May 22) an exclusive title in-game, once it launches. The title will be exclusive to those of you who?ve become a part of the community this early, and you can opt to display it as you explore the universe in Star Trek Online. It?s just one of the ways we plan on thanking you for your continued support and enthusiasm."

I have two, unique, in-game titles available to me. Special Envoy and Ambassador (not to be confused with Federation Ambassador). Both distinguish us as early adopters long before the game even launched. And go beyond the 1000-Day veteran rewards. :cool:
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
  • Options
    beezle23beezle23 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012

To make it worse, this broke functionality on the account part of the site. Suddenly I'm less than a week old and/or have no characters over level 10. \o/
    edited June 2012
    well, i'm a little less peeved now that i can log into the game.

I figure that since the new forums will never go back to the way they were before, then these will have to grow on me.

Like a rash.
    [SIGPIC]Handle: @kirian_darkstar
    Fleets: Warriors of the Phoenix, Kirian Industries[/SIGPIC]
    Three years and still no Captain Klaa hair...
  • Options
    truewarpertruewarper Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Lost all my subscribed threads...:frown:
    52611496918_3c42b8bab8.jpg
    Departing from Sol *Earth* by Carlos A Smith,on Flickr
    SPACE---The Last and Great Frontier. A 14th-year journey
    Vna res, una mens, unum cor et anima una. Cetera omnia, somnium est.
  • Options
    beezle23beezle23 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    well, i'm a little less peeved now that i can log into the game.

I figure that since the new forums will never go back to the way they were before, then these will have to grow on me.

Like a rash.

I'm going to keep my ear to the ground for "unofficial" third-party forums with a color scheme that doesn't give me a headache.

I realize we're not probably allowed to advertise them here, but if anyone wants to PM me with suggestions...
    edited June 2012
    How do I like the new forums? 3 Words - I HATE IT! :mad:

1) Cryptic gave absolutely NO WARNING that these changes were coming.

2) We wasn't able to keep our old accounts and now we have to FUBAR with PW's.

3) The New Forum layout is PURE HORRIBLE! It's very hard to read, and the brightness is burning my eyes as I type this!

I don't know why Cryptic wasn't allowed to keep the old format?
  • Options
    ferdzso0ferdzso0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    I now have to use this name... I am not happy (I could not create the name ferdzso to link it with my ferdzso account at STO forums, but now that does not exist, yet I cant change the name)
    I am not happy, though I dont really comment to the forum. still :D

10k DPS Vesta threads: 1; 2
  • Options
    ramos40kramos40k Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    I dont like it. Its POS. Lost all my subscriptions. I cant find where to set career officer title.
  • Options
    daharmasterklagdaharmasterklag Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Wow...just absolutely horrible in so many ways. Lousy layout, hard to read, too narrow, blah blah blah... just count me as "ditto" for hating it.
  • Options
    thomm0thomm0 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2012
  • Options
    trek21trek21 Member Posts: 2,246 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    They bite, plain and simple.

And while virtually any uproar on these forums would fade after the first day (most of the time), I vote we don't let this happen.

Keep posting our dislike, day after day, even if you just repeat yourselves. Maybe after a week they'll get the message.
    Was named Trek17.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh', if only due to personal standards.
  • Options
    captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    not a fan at all really. Forum name is now different. no custom avatar.

I'm sure we will all get used to it but not really a great improvement. wish they had stayed as it was. oh well.
  • Options
    meeheemeehee Member Posts: 85
    edited June 2012
    The new forums are definately not as good as what they used to be before PWE....

All i guess we can do is hold out hope they make them look better... sigh !
  • Options
    darkstarkiriandarkstarkirian Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    ramos40k wrote: »
    I dont like it. Its POS. Lost all my subscriptions. I cant find where to set career officer title.

That is at the top of the screen by the FREE ZEN banner, edit Avatar, scroll down in that window and you will see a tab asking you if you want to use your LTS.
    [SIGPIC]Handle: @kirian_darkstar
    Fleets: Warriors of the Phoenix, Kirian Industries[/SIGPIC]
    Three years and still no Captain Klaa hair...
  • Options
    metalbardmetalbard Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Not that I am afraid of change or anything, but I much rather preferred the old forums. It was more fully formed and was a lot more "flexible" with the options you had at hand.
    IV4N_R4D151CH[SIGPIC]"To watch a train wreck in motion, is an enlightening experience. Especially when it seems to be happening in slow motion."[/SIGPIC] LOCATION: Amongst the wreckage.
  • Options
    dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    just think what a little warning would have done for us. all the important threads we had linked to in our sigs, many buried +20 pages deep, never to be found again. we could have bookmarked everything we wanted to keep track of, or remake the thread with the info from the now uneditable threads after the change over, if we ONLY HAD SOME WARNING. i cant believe they just did this without even clueing us in about it, other then a vague maintenance notice. so much valuable information flushed down the toilet
  • Options
    ramos40kramos40k Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    That is at the top of the screen by the FREE ZEN banner, edit Avatar, scroll down in that window and you will see a tab asking you if you want to use your LTS.

Thank you very much! :)
  • Options
    dirlettiadirlettia Member Posts: 1,632 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    No mark all forums read button is making them a PITA for me. You have to go to every subforum to be able to mark anything as read.

Also seems as if the main menu bar across the top is missing to be able to get back to the main site. Speaking of main site it is also disconcerting to see days subscribed reset to zero, even though under account management you can still see the correct number.

I am guessing the update never got completed as much as the devs had hoped.

Still waiting to be able to use forum titles
  • Options
    drazursouthclawdrazursouthclaw Member Posts: 223 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    It wasn't broken. Why did they try to fix it? I heartily disapprove. They have not added anything, but have taken much.

Now my name is the jumbled mess drazursouthclaw instead the much more sense-making drazur_southclaw. Oh, and I can't change it. I'm stuck with it. FOREVER. And whether or not it is mature or grownup or whatever or not, it is making me really really angry looking at it.

Are we not powerless enough in this world, that even our online identities must be forced into little boxes as well? I reference the avatars.

And a heads up might have been nice. Maybe I missed it. Dunno.

So, my answer is 'I HATE THIS.'

I am sure it won't stop everyone from being so awesome - but to me using the forums will now be like trying watch a movie on a screen that has a huge crack in the middle - an interesting experience, but mostly annoying. And in the back of my head remains the idea that, at one point, it WASN'T BROKEN.
  • Options
    nyxadrillnyxadrill Member Posts: 1,242 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Anyone else notice that on the avatar select page they dont know how to spell "Dominion" :eek:
    server_hamster6.png
  • Options
    blkdemonknightblkdemonknight Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    What have they done:eek:...noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!