test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

So...how do you like the new forums?

Comments

• truewarpertruewarper Member Posts: 929 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Were we told in advance of the possible changes. A possible yes.

Not told...nor explained in advance.

No...but we got no choice but to use this medium.
    As you can see, things have certainly changed. So...

How do you like the new STO forums?

Afterwards, please share your thoughts :redface:
    52611496918_3c42b8bab8.jpg
    Departing from Sol *Earth* by Carlos A Smith,on Flickr
    SPACE---The Last and Great Frontier. A 14th-year journey
    Vna res, una mens, unum cor et anima una. Cetera omnia, somnium est.
  • kimmerakimmera Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Visually I actually like this... functionally, too soon for me to tell.

One thing I find amusing though.... Apparently I last visited these forums Dec 31, 1969.

The whole forum revision is a temporal anomaly! (So if it is like the old Apple III boards it is actually ahead of its time) :biggrin:
  • duaths1duaths1 Member Posts: 1,232 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Cryptic - WTF?

you really know how to make yourself popular *********
  • kantusxxxkantusxxx Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Well, this is... garbage.
    Yeah, its pretty neat how it took all day long to come up with a worse board than we had before...

I completely agree.
    Klingon-RomulanAlliance7a_zps2aa8171d.png
  • shapeywhelmshapeywhelm Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    duaths1 wrote: »
    Cryptic - WTF?

you really know how to make yourself popular *********

I highly doubt cryptic had a say in this matter, the new masters (PWE) said they wanted it, so Cryptic jumped and made it happen. (every PWE game share the same forums/site layout) aka garbage.

If they did have a choice, they should have really asked the community, or hell change back.
  • wolfpacknzwolfpacknz Member Posts: 783 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Shouldn't have used child labour to create the forum buttons. Yeah they look professional and really fit with the colour scheme...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ***Disenchanted***
    Real Join Date: Monday, 17 May 2010
  • darkphoxydarkphoxy Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    It's o.k.

I want a forum name change though, I likes my Cryptic one better.
  • rokesmithrokesmith Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Okay, this is in basically every way inferior. For some reason though not seeing Nagus' iconic and ever present Avatar until I get to the end of the message is extremely disquieting to me. It feels like all my friends had involuntary facial reconstruction surgery without telling me beforehand. Not cool.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2012
    Oh and why the frak did it force me to use rokesmith for my name instead of Rokesmith? What the TRIBBLE is that, its a name dag-nabit. Names are meant the be capitalized. Basic rule of the friggin language.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • hippiejonhippiejon Member Posts: 1,581 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Everyone else has said it already, and nicely illuminated the reasons why.
    These new forums suck.
    A lot.
  • happyhappyj0yj0yhappyhappyj0yj0y Member Posts: 699 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    I have ZEROES in my forum name now.

No BBCode in sig.

It's uglier.

No custom avatars.

Apparently I lost my mail (with a bunch of DOffs in it).

Indenting and lists, though still options for formatting according to the forums, don't seem to work anymore (making it very difficult to set different bits of text apart from each other).

All in all? I feel the need to use curse words. Perfect World hates us. I'm really, really starting to believe that.
    :mad:
    edited June 2012
    Best of all, it seems that something broke and my forum account isn't linked to the actual account anymore, so I can't even use the store out of game anymore.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kimmerakimmera Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012

Apparently I lost my mail (with a bunch of DOffs in it).

I went to check that in game... your mail should still be there (Edit: It was mine I checked, which is still there). Not sure why it isn't here... maybe they separated forum mail from in game mail?
  • hravikhravik Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Do not want.
  • synkr0nizedsynkr0nized Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    could also do with giving us options for time zone and posts-per-page again

Like, did you guys do this on a test server first or just slap it all onto the Live site right away?

edit: And am I seeing correctly that the French and German subforums are totally gone?
    _______
    equal parts cynical and helpful
  • mattimeo97mattimeo97 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    could also do with giving us options for time zone and posts-per-page again

Like, did you guys do this on a test server first or just slap it all onto the Live site right away?

What would be the purpose of testing it on a test server? They just release it the next day regardless.

Can the new forums queue into an STF?
  • psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,649 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    A general warning of a day or two might have been nice for the users. Even if that did result in our initial anger or frustration. Now, instead of just getting over initial confusion, we have users who are both angry and confused. Not a comfortable place to be, frankly.

This sincerely looks like a downgrade to me. Our signature BBcode is even gone. This took all day to accomplish?

The style of the forum isn't user friendly at all. The subforum headings blend in badly. I can't distinguish one subforum from the other. Nor can I minimize the subforums that I don't care to see.

I sincerely dislike the lack of avatar customization. If I thought it would do any good I'd suggest we all change ours to the Borg Collective emblem. It feels as if our forum community has just been assimilated.
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
  • happyhappyj0yj0yhappyhappyj0yj0y Member Posts: 699 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    kimmera wrote: »
    I went to check that in game... your mail should still be there (Edit: It was mine I checked, which is still there). Not sure why it isn't here... maybe they separated forum mail from in game mail?

Seems like other people have lost theirs in-game.
  • startrekronstartrekron Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    rokesmith wrote: »
    Okay, this is in basically every way inferior. For some reason though not seeing Nagus' iconic and ever present Avatar until I get to the end of the message is extremely disquieting to me. It feels like all my friends had involuntary facial reconstruction surgery without telling me beforehand. Not cool.

Yeah Nagus' avatar was great.
    "Live Long and Prosper but always carry a fully charged phaser, just in case!". Arrr'ow

Co-Leader of Serenity's Grasp
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Lots of wasted space, I agree. Also for some weird reason my old display name is blocked. And all our past posts are now no longer associated with our original account. WHich means tracking old post back impossible, and updating old stickied post is impossible.

It means losing forum identity and history.

Really a bad change overall. Bran_Flakes, how could you let this happen?
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • rickeyredshirtrickeyredshirt Member Posts: 1,059 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    My display name has changed and the tool tip on the side said this would be reflected in-game as well. This has yet to happen. Has anyone's in-game name changed yet?
  • mirror1mastermirror1master Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    The PWE Forums are harder for me to read.. guess it's the format. And Dev Tracker History went into a black hole somewhere.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • civilphilcivilphil Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    While I don't begrudge Cryptic or PWE wanting to move to different forums, I do have several thorns in my side:

1. I received ZERO warning. No emails. No in game bulletin. Heck, nothing on the front page of the STO website until the switch over already happened. Not cool guys, not cool. Bad PR.

2. The join date. I joined in January of 2010. NOT June 2012. If the accounts are truely linked then FIX IT. I'm sure for some it doesn't matter, but for others it was a matter of pride. For me it showed that I came in early, supported early, and have been here for the long haul.

This loss of personal history with the game is perhaps the most hurtful thing of the changes. (((the rest is relatively minor))) Sure, my account still lists the days subscribed (874 as on 6-20-2012) but that bit can only be seen by me. Anything I put in my signature could be falsified.

3. The avatar loss. Please please please tell me this will be changed. If it was to get rid of anti-PWE or anti-Cryptic images . . . well then giving us image space in our sigs kinda defeats the point of that huh?

Don't turn these forums in to bland vanilla everyone's the same -land. You only hurt the community.

On the positive side I like the new forum header with the star base and the galaxy class. :biggrin:

Addendum: The archiving of the old forums is also quite hurtful. No names, no history, nothing. All that we did on the forums for YEARS lost to some guy named "Archived Post" who joined in Dec 2007.

It doesn't make me mad, it makes me sad. And that's a million times worse.

If you find yourself participating in a discussion, and you know nothing can ever persuade you to alter your view, please recognize that you are not being objective about the subject at hand and further discussion with you is futile.

=/\= Fleet Admiral Shin
    Subscriber since 1-28-2010
    d1xder6-d8102b36-c444-41a4-915a-3fa1a47b1a06.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2U5YjM0YjRmLWU1N2EtNDRlMi05YWNhLWU2OWI4MWUzODcwYlwvZDF4ZGVyNi1kODEwMmIzNi1jNDQ0LTQxYTQtOTE1YS0zZmExYTQ3YjFhMDYuanBnIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.KaJ-YJnj-4adaDVwUlEGPSXWvcMN1Znn3NnGZm2wXFg
  • kbflordkruegkbflordkrueg Member Posts: 189 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    The new look of the forums is horredous.
    And forcing me to change to a PWE account from a Cryptic account blows frothy chunks.
    Standardized avatars? WTF?

Whomever is making the decisions about all these changes needs to be thrown off the top floor of a tall building...
    Lord Krueg
    KBF CO
    We are the Dead
    join date Aug 2008
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    The new look of the forums is horredous.
    And forcing me to change to a PWE account from a Cryptic account blows frothy chunks.
    Standardized avatars? WTF?

Whomever is making the decisions about all these changes needs to be thrown off the top floor of a tall building...

I'd say thrown out the airlock. Fit the theme more.
  • nagoraknagorak Member Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    To put it bluntly, the new forums are complete ****. This wasn't a welcome change at all. The fact all the old threads are now archived with no names is disgusting.

Now that we have standardized avatars it's harder to easily recognize people either.

Also we now can't access mail from the forums. WTF? Seriously, everything with these new forums is a step back. And why? For what reason were they changed? There was nothing wrong with the old forums and PWE could have maintained them as a legacy system for STO. :mad:
  • dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    why the hell isn't the useable space bigger? its 25% blank on the right, the middle 50% is utilized, and the left 25% is blank too. WHY?
  • captainjgeecaptainjgee Member Posts: 144 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Cheap and tacky, that?s what you get with F2P. Way too slow for my liking. Doesn?t help having to set up a PWE account to use the forums. No I?m not linking my Cryptic account with this one, over my dead body. They will have to drag me kicking and screaming. Guess I won?t be reading the forum any more. :frown:
  • kantusxxxkantusxxx Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Yeah... honestly, of all the things that suck about the new setup, and boy are there a lot, the join date is probably the one that matters least...