Install Arc
Options

TRIBBLE Maintenance and Release Notes - October 6, 2011

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    Shakkar wrote: »
    So we'll only be able to get enough money to get an item every week or two? We can't repeat exploration missions anymore?

That's weird, I seemed to remember them saying in the past that we would have more options to earn Dilithium. Seems that only meant number of different things to do. Not freedom to earn Dilithium as you like.

And the conversion limit set at 8,000? Can i have the fun, non F2P game back that didn't force me to grind mindlessly? Because I really have trouble believing I will keep playing STO. And I was actually looking forward to getting a few friends into it.

Of course, they can change all that. But so far I am not optimistic.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    you get white officers with merit/honor... :(

dont they cost energy credits? been a long time since i had to by one so cant remember.

also, got patch installed but the login server is still 'closed for maintenance'
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    hopefully you can just buy white officers and train powers that way for the time being. if not this build is unplayable
    you get white officers with merit/honor... :(

Unfortunatly he is right, they cost 100 Merits/Honor each and there are some abilities that can't be found on the white officers at all. I'm not talking about things like TSS 3 or Torp Spread, some lower abilities can't be found on them too.

As I get it, training of officers will also cost Dilithium soon, is that right? And Dilithium will not be obtainable from normal story missions or patrols? So how is a new character supposed to train his bridge officers the first 3 or 4 levels? How is a low level character supposed to get enough Dilithium for training, gear and ships when the dailies are limited to 1 or 2 Star Clusters and later the Neutral Zone dailies?
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Did you fix the Military Tier in the DOff System? I guess I will find out.

Question: If the time for DOff assignments are reduced, does this affect assignment you already had in progress before the change?
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Merits? I thought they were removing that from the game.
    Big mistake IMO as it would completely suck "wasting" dilithium to train, respec and rename stuff.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    I think that there is more comming with the new system guys i would not worry till all the f2p fetures are in place this is only setp one of the dilithum thats going into the game there will be more options to earn it i am sure of that.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Alexraptor wrote: »
    Merits? I thought they were removing that from the game.
    Big mistake IMO as it would completely suck "wasting" dilithium to train, respec and rename stuff.

I guess that's the problem, they are removing the merit system but do not replace it with the new stuff yet. And I guess all the Merits I earned on Tribble are worthless too and don't get converted to Dilithium (since there is no conversion rate yet).
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Patching ... patching .... patching .... .... and now back to waiting.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    throcky wrote: »
    I think that there is more comming with the new system guys i would not worry till all the f2p fetures are in place this is only setp one of the dilithum thats going into the game there will be more options to earn it i am sure of that.
    We've been hearing this same happy talk for weeks now, while it continues to get nothing but worse with every new reveal.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Patching ... patching .... patching ....

:D Even if, it is still closed for maintenance.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Here is an Energy Credit sink idea:

1. Lift the Dilithium refinement limit to limtless.

2. Move the Limitless Refinement process to Starbases. (Starships are NOT mass Refinement Facilities!...)
    2a. Keep the small limit of Refinement (8000) on Starships, but Star bases Refinement is limitless.

3. Starbases charge a small fee (EC :) ) of like 3 per unit. "Wanna refine 50,000 ore? Cost ya 150,000 EC".

Hey lets face it! There is a HUGE amount of EC floating around.

Keeping a small production amount on Starships, for FREE, and the majority of it being handle at Base, where they would actually have the mass facilities to do so, makes more sense I.M.O.
    This would free up the production limit people are showing to be a ligitimate problem, AND finally provide that much needed EC sink the game economy as needed.

(Pssst. Earth Space Dock could FINALLY have some use for that lower useless level...)
    Feds would have theirs at ESD, and KDF of have theirs at the Facility on Praxis.
    Feds could run down stairs to refine their stuff, and KDF flys over to Praxis for theirs.

I agree with others that have indicated this is a good idea. In fact it sounds like a HELLUVA good idea.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    decker999 wrote: »
    :D Even if, it is still closed for maintenance.

Yeah ... had to update my previous response to note that I'm back to waiting. :D
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Heezdedjim wrote:
    I did not read the no training for now as applying to Klinks only. Does it?

it means merits are removed and not replaced and everything that used them is not updated to use anything else.

As I get it, training of officers will also cost Dilithium soon, is that right? And Dilithium will not be obtainable from normal story missions or patrols? So how is a new character supposed to train his bridge officers the first 3 or 4 levels? How is a low level character supposed to get enough Dilithium for training, gear and ships when the dailies are limited to 1 or 2 Star Clusters and later the Neutral Zone dailies?

just add that to the list of things that need dilithium. at the rate we level up, we are going to have empty boff stations, a ship 1 or 2 tiers lower then we should have and gear 4 or 5 levels lower then we should have. how the hell are we supposed to pvp? the game couldn't be more ruined, they would have to do an unprecedented rollback on what they have already done for F2P to be 1/5 as good as it is on holodeck now. i just don't see them rolling it back a sufficient amount, unless they admit they haven't spent 5 minutes worrying about prices yet. does anyone beleave that? or that the situation they are putting players in isn't at least partially intentional?
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    The game is still down for maintenance...these Californian's need to set their clocks to east coast time.:p

Thank you
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    In preperation for F2P, Cryptic is changing the in game economy of STO and combining almost all of the various currencies into one: dillithium.

The unfortunate part is, they are doing it in a way to try to force people to spend real money... not for special game store items like in the past...but for normal in game character items like ships and gear. Its a little complicated, but here is how:

Please do a write up on this to get the word out. Thanks.

The main issue I have with this is that we do not have all of the facts. The full text of the dilithium section was not mentioned and several facts were missing. Below is the actual quote from the notes.
    [*]You now gain a small stipend of refined dilithium at each new rank, along with a placard for a new ship at a deep discount in price.
    [*] At the ranks of Commander and above you will need to earn some additional dilithium to be able to afford the next ship, so be sure to play some daily missions for those rewards.

As stated in the patch notes, the placard will greatly reduce the amount of dilithium that a ship costs and we still will get a small amount with each rank up. Yes, we will have to come up with the difference, but we do not know what that difference will be. Heretic has already stated that the differences we have seen over the past week is a bug. We should first see how this has changed with the new patch. I expect the ship rank up will be further tweaked over the next month. This is not the final version going to Holodeck. This is an early version and many changes are ahead of this.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    waiting sucks.

proc, proc, give already! :D
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    throcky wrote: »

I agree with him. This is a TEST server guys, and it's the 1st implementation of this brand new system. If the overwhelming outcry is that it is not sufficient, they will make changes to accomodate us. I too personally think the 8000 refined dilithium limit is a little too low, and I'm sure it will be upped at least some if enough people say so.

Remember guys, this is a TEST. So... go TEST it.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    just add that to the list of things that need dilithium. at the rate we level up, we are going to have empty boff stations, a ship 1 or 2 tiers lower then we should have and gear 4 or 5 levels lower then we should have. how the hell are we supposed to pvp? the game couldn't be more ruined, they would have to do an unprecedented rollback on what they have already done for F2P to be 1/5 as good as it is on holodeck now. i just don't see them rolling it back a sufficient amount, unless they admit they haven't spent 5 minutes worrying about prices yet. does anyone beleave that? or that the situation they are putting players in isn't at least partially intentional?

On the bright side, less people will complain about the missing difficulty of PvE :) and hey, it will add diversity to the PvP matches. Hegh'ta against Heavy Cruiser or Galaxy against Somraw will make matches interesting.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    On the bright side, less people will complain about the missing difficulty of PvE :) and hey, it will add diversity to the PvP matches. Hegh'ta against Heavy Cruiser or Galaxy against Somraw will make matches interesting.

and due to limitations on dilithium processing, all of those ships will be outfitted with Mk V gear, the matches should take longer.

Ha...couldn't resist a kick while the server is down.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Whats gone happen to merits every comment I have read & heard and what I have seen so far they are gone disappear in thin air... (I surely hope not)
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Tuskin wrote:
    The thing is, we're not Gold Players during the testing phase, we are silver players.
    As others have already mentioned, we are Gold, but I thought you'd like a link as an FYI:
    http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?p=3784717#post3784717

:D
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Look at it objectively guys. Look at what they're doing. They're putting the 1st implementation out with high restrictions, to see how it plays. Of course, we will complain about it, and the restrictions will be eased. The community will be appeased, and things will go on.

Would you rather they put the system in place with extremely lax restrictions, everyone's extremely happy because everything is extremely easy, and then they end up tightening the restrictions? Then you have a playerbase that was happy, and is now mad, rather than one that was mad, but is now happy.

Be patient. They'll crunch the numbers until they find a balance. But they have to start somewhere, and like I outlined above, it's better to start out strict and then ease off, than the alternative.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    anyone else thinking of starting over to see if its any better?

I think i'll get a better picture of the changes that way, after all it is just for testing i don't expect to keep any toon on tribble, its just for the new toys:D
  • Options
    edited October 2011

pve difficulty isn't the problem, its monotony. shooting helpless sponges gets old, feels like your kicking a dog after a wile.

pvp will be ruled by those that just bought dilithium for money, those that didnt will be helpless. when the final F2P build goes live, i'd like to see a calculation of how much real money it would take to fully equip a tier 5 ship. my guess is over $100 at this rate.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    I wonder how the PVP crowd will feel about how much PvE they'll need to do to grind sufficient Dilithium.

That'll be a fun thread.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Also, everyone should keep in mind that the best equipment in the game isn't bought with dilithium anyway. The absolute best equipment in the game comes from extremely rare drops, which are sold on the exchange... for ENERGY CREDITS.

Don't get your panties in too much of a wad over dilithium. Energy credits are still what you need to truly make your ship uber.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    pvp will be ruled by those that just bought dilithium for money, those that didnt will be helpless. when the final F2P build goes live, i'd like to see a calculation of how much real money it would take to fully equip a tier 5 ship. my guess is over $100 at this rate.

Heh, it was a few thousand to outfit an "end-game" character in PWI to be competitive in PvP.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    I wonder how the PVP crowd will feel about how much PvE they'll need to do to grind sufficient Dilithium. That'll be a fun thread.
    Yeah, if PvE folks are complaining about just trying to rank up at RA1 in a T2 ship . . . with no consoles, odd Mk weapons, and BOFFs you can't afford to retrain in any useful skills (cause you blew all your DL just trying to get one or two pieces of level appropriate gear) . . . and don't even get them started on the STF grind they're going to hit at "endgame."
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    toisich wrote: »
    Also, everyone should keep in mind that the best equipment in the game isn't bought with dilithium anyway. The absolute best equipment in the game comes from extremely rare drops, which are sold on the exchange... for ENERGY CREDITS.
    Tthe Mk XII stuff only comes from STF grinding, and it's all BoP, so no selling in any form.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    toisich wrote: »

Don't get your panties in too much of a wad over dilithium. Energy credits are still what you need to truly make your ship uber.

Well, it also comes from the STFs now, which, totally bugged queues aside, even with T4 ships and MK VII gear are a walk in the park so far.