Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    Well there goes my idea.
    edited October 2011
    Tuskin wrote:
    Well there goes my idea.

Eh, easy mistake to make. I mean...hard to tell the difference between gold and silver anyway, right?
    edited October 2011
    I agree 99.9%

As far as Dilithium and F2P... Non-Payers should not get anything close to what paying members get... There should be a level cap (even WOW caps at level 20), big restrictions on game areas (what maps you can goto, etc), what missions are available to you, etc etc etc...

With this Dilitium system, I thought there would be one currency. Where does "Ore" and "Refined" come in? Isn't that two seperate currencies? As I said this is really sounding like something fishy going on...

F2P should only be a teaser to make you thirst for more... Not just use a C-Store to "buy yourself a winning character"

I agree with this minus the level cap for f2p'ers. All Cryptic is trying to do now is please there new PW overlords and make this a pay-2-win game. I surely don't appreciate being short change on Level-Up when I want my next tier ship.

Well just time for me to sit back, sip my Raktojino and watch how this plays out.
    edited October 2011
    Here is an Energy Credit sink idea:

1. Lift the Dilithium refinement limit to limtless.

2. Move the Limitless Refinement process to Starbases. (Starships are NOT mass Refinement Facilities!...)
    2a. Keep the small limit of Refinement (8000) on Starships, but Star bases Refinement is limitless.

3. Starbases charge a small fee (EC :) ) of like 3 per unit. "Wanna refine 50,000 ore? Cost ya 150,000 EC".

Hey lets face it! There is a HUGE amount of EC floating around.

Keeping a small production amount on Starships, for FREE, and the majority of it being handle at Base, where they would actually have the mass facilities to do so, makes more sense I.M.O.
    This would free up the production limit people are showing to be a ligitimate problem, AND finally provide that much needed EC sink the game economy as needed.

(Pssst. Earth Space Dock could FINALLY have some use for that lower useless level...)
    Feds would have theirs at ESD, and KDF of have theirs at the Facility on Praxis.
    Feds could run down stairs to refine their stuff, and KDF flys over to Praxis for theirs.

This is a good idea really.
    edited October 2011
    Vesperon wrote:
    what a nonsense to speculate about things, noone has seen yet.
    and don't forget, this is TRIBBLE-test-server SO EVERYBODY CALM DOWN and TEST these updates!
    and STOP COMPLAINING about things you all never tested :rolleyes:

How will my testing change the fact that I can't get a new ship since people who already levelled up wont get the "discount token"?

I'll admit these things could be changed. But one thing is sure...they thought it was a good idea before they put it on tribble. Only complaining has a chance of our effecting the outcome. Being silent will not do any good.

And I'll keep talking as long as I don't violate forum rules. You wouldn't like it if I told you to stop talking, please refrain from doing it to others.
    edited October 2011
    8,000 a day is the most Bajoran thing I've heard.

Might as well just make them all C-Store points. 8,000 when the common end game price for a ships weapon is 140k is asking us to sit in a holding pattern for almost 18 days,.. just to spend what we already earned... WTX are you smoking?
    edited October 2011
    ciphertazi wrote: »
    is the most Bajoran thing I've heard.

What does that even mean?
    edited October 2011
    Honestly the Dilithium currency needs to be fixed in this.

Ore needs to be removed, really, lets simplify the borked economy by making it overly complicated and put a cap on processing. utterly non-brilliant.

Forcing days (to months to years) of grinding for equipment and ships is not fun, nor will it bring in players, it will drive them away. Do not over complicate things simply so they are not overly simple. You want a balance, not a grind-fest.
    edited October 2011

2. Move the Limitless Refinement process to Starbases. (Starships are NOT mass Refinement Facilities!...)
    2a. Keep the small limit of Refinement (8000) on Starships, but Star bases Refinement is limitless.

3. Starbases charge a small fee (EC :) ) of like 3 per unit. "Wanna refine 50,000 ore? Cost ya 150,000 EC".

Keeping a small production amount on Starships, for FREE, and the majority of it being handle at Base, where they would actually have the mass facilities to do so, makes more sense I.M.O.
    This would free up the production limit people are showing to be a ligitimate problem, AND finally provide that much needed EC sink the game economy as needed.

(Pssst. Earth Space Dock could FINALLY have some use for that lower useless level...)
    Feds would have theirs at ESD, and KDF of have theirs at the Facility on Praxis.
    Feds could run down stairs to refine their stuff, and KDF flys over to Praxis for theirs.

This is a good idea. But can we make it an option like this to have minigames. Minigame {Easy} refine 500 dilithum at a time, on ur ship. Minigame (Normal) 1500 Dilithium, on ur ship. Minigame (Hard) 5000 dilithium, on earth space dock. Minigame (Elite) 25000 dilithium on earth space dock. Or Pay Energy Credits to get an Auto pass on the minigames, Easy = 20k ec Normal = 50k, Hard = 100k Elite = 350k
    edited October 2011
    (snip)

Not a bad idea, by any extent. Except aren't they removing ECs as well?
    edited October 2011
    :( damn i see theres still no klingon academy in this list :(
    edited October 2011
    Patching . . .
    edited October 2011
    Tuskin wrote:
    What does that even mean?

It's a reference to the STOked Podcast, I think. They play at hating Bajor and Bajorans all the time so I'm certain he's saying:

"This Sucks".
    edited October 2011
    From the Cryptic interviews in STOked episode #100 they were also tossing around ideas for other ways to refine more dilithium than the standard daily, as a perk for something you do or earn, like a buff or a zone that's only available during certain parts of the day for a limited time, or maybe a PvP objective where a side captures a dilithium cracking station that refines ore at an increased rate, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if there is more expanded on this later.
    edited October 2011

Great idea
    edited October 2011
    Tribble is up for patching but the server is still down.
    edited October 2011
    7% done on patching in 30 seconds... now let's see if it's true or not
    edited October 2011
    I suggest anybody who doesnt like what they are trying to do here just tip off your favorite gaming news site like massively or MMORPG. I'm sure they would be happy to write an article about how Cryptic is trying to force subscribers to spend more money just to get normal in game items. And its obvious our feedback alone isnt enough to make them change. So yeah, get the word out.

Done! Here is the message I sent:
    In preperation for F2P, Cryptic is changing the in game economy of STO and combining almost all of the various currencies into one: dillithium.

The unfortunate part is, they are doing it in a way to try to force people to spend real money... not for special game store items like in the past...but for normal in game character items like ships and gear. Its a little complicated, but here is how:

1) One feature of the new economy is that players will be able to trade other players game store points(which must be purchased for real money) for dillithium(the new in game currency).

2) There are 2 types of dillithium: ore and refined. You will get dillithium ore as rewards for completing missions, but you will have to refine it before you can spend it or trade it to other players for game store points.

3) There is going to be a cap on how much dillithium you can refine each day.

4) Previously when players ranked up in STO they got a "free token" to get a new ship. They did not have to spend any currency at all. Now, however, instead of getting a "free token" you will get a chunk of dillithium and will actually have to purchase your new ship.

5) The chunk of dillithium you get for ranking up is not enough to purchase a new ship. This means you will have to earn more dillithium before you can get your new ship. But you also cant refine more than your daily amount, meaning you either have to:

A) wait X amount of days to refine enough dillithium to get your new ship

or

B) spend real money for C-points and then trade those C-points to someone else for refined dillithium.

As you can hopefully see, this new system is designed to make people have to wait extra long to get things they normally didnt have to, or spend real money to get them faster.

Of course, it goes without saying that the F2P model is going to have more things for sale than before, but this is not the game store we are talking about here, it is core mechanics of the game that are being changed to try to get people to spend money to advance normally.

Please see the following thread for more details:

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=234542

Please do a write up on this to get the word out. Thanks.

Hopefully we'll see an article.
    edited October 2011
    300mb patch modifying 1.2gb worth of files... just a fact for those who are interested :p
    edited October 2011
    Known Issues:
    • Players will not be able to train Bridge Officers in new powers at this time.
    Words fail me when I try to describe how badly this is going to suck. I am seriously not looking forward to trying to level a Klingon with randomly-dealt BOff skills, when (in my opinion, for my style of play) about 3/4ths of them are as useless as the paps on a boar hog.
    edited October 2011
    Tuskin wrote:
    The thing is, we're not Gold Players during the testing phase, we are silver players.

Actually, we're playing as gold as was stated earlier in this thread and as stated by a dev update a bit ago. If you don't think that's the case, see how many BOff slots you have, if it's more than 4 at Captain you're gold. ;):D
    edited October 2011
    Words fail me when I try to describe how badly this is going to suck. I am seriously not looking forward to trying to level a Klingon with randomly-dealt BOff skills, when (in my opinion, for my style of play) about 3/4ths of them are as useless as the paps on a boar hog.
    so just wait for it to be fixed. it's that simple
    edited October 2011

hopefully you can just buy white officers and train powers that way for the time being. if not this build is unplayable
    edited October 2011
    We’ve updated how the player earns their ship at level up, but unfortunately there is no fixup for those already affected.
    Players will not be able to train Bridge Officers in new powers at this time.
    Seriously, you guys suck. This entire post should have just read "Thanks for sticking it out suffering through a week of testing a fatally broken game for nothing. Also, it gets worse."
    edited October 2011
    hopefully you can just buy white officers and train powers that way for the time being. if not this build is unplayable

you get white officers with merit/honor... :(
    edited October 2011
    Desdecardo wrote: »
    You rarely get anything useful from drops or from Mission rewards. And if something does become useful (MkIV Efficient Engines for example) they get nerfed. If you were to rely on mission rewards your ship would be a disaster of mix n match equipment completely nerfing your ability to survive or do any damage.

Thats why I liked crafting (I know Tribble crafting isnt as intended right now) and was upset that I couldnt even craft the stuff that I needed to survive.

I could live with a LTC ship through Captain (which is what I am in right now) if I could craft or buy my gear. Loot drops are a big thumbs down to be able to complete anything in a reasonable amount of time without dying.

With the first patch my LTC ship (fighting Commander level romulans) Still had a MkII Green Disruptor Beam bank in it and not till Commander 9 did I get a Mk VI usable ship item (a photon torpedo launcher white). Sitting at Capt1 (didnt want to turn in the mission because I knew the patch was coming) I have a Mk II Dual Disruptor Beam Bank (ACC), Mk III Diruptor Canon, Mk VI Photon Torpedo Launcher, Mk IV Phaser beam array (Dmgx2), Mk IV Efficient Engine, Mk III Covariant Shield Array (Cap), Mk III Deflectors, MkIII Green weapons power console, 1 MkIV white Disruptor weapons console, and 1 Mk III white Disruptor Weapons console.

I have yet to loot or find a useable science console or any other console. This is just leveling up. I really feel sorry for any new player going through this. They are going to die a lot. And get fed up with it because they try to get info and all they find out is "Grind or buy".

Right now I would just be happy with the Mk VI gear I will get in the T4 defiant. It will be considerably better than what I have now.

Getting gear from drops is even more problematic for Klingons who have very few missions that give drops worth a TRIBBLE outside of the FE which you have to repeat at each Rank to get the next higher Mk of gear.
    The Exploration missions we have give nothing as far as gear. Outside of the FE, Klingons have 8 missions until you reach high enough level to do STFs.
    edited October 2011
    Since exploration missions reward dilithium they have been updated to be daily missions.

Please tell me they've *added* an exploration daily (like B'Tran) instead of changing the 30 minute cooldown of the existing daily to 20 hours? Otherwise those "35 hour" accolades have now become "2 month" accolades.
    edited October 2011
    I did not read the no training for now as applying to Klinks only. Does it?
    edited October 2011
    I would think you'd be refining the crud out of Dilithium Ore as you level up, not just when you need it, knowing full well in advance that you're going to need it for your next ship and for other gear after you've capped out. All this sounds like to me is that Cryptic anticipated that fact and accounted for it in the new system.

Honestly, it's a different way to control the pacing of the game. The most hardcore will likely spend more time gathering and holding out then those who play casually I would guess.

Let's give this a shot and see how it plays out before going all Nuclear Fallout on Cryptic for this change, they probably won't listen until you've actually gotten into the game and played with the changes anyway.
    edited October 2011
    Getting gear from drops is even more problematic for Klingons who have very few missions that give drops worth a TRIBBLE outside of the FE which you have to repeat at each Rank to get the next higher Mk of gear.
    It's not problematic. I get all the batteries I'll ever need from space drops. What the problem?