Why are Venos without Hercs considered useless?

Options

Comments

• Isala - Sanctuary
    Isala - Sanctuary Posts: 1,607 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    I don't think anyone is disputing what you're saying. There are some people though that stubbornly refuse to acknowledge a hercules' capabilities, just as there are people who reject you out-of-hand who refuse to acknowledge a magmite's capabilities.

Oh, I'm not saying anyone is. I'm just pointing out some highlights of the Golem. Since Herc's skills are pretty much locked in as specific skills towards tanking, you don't really have much flexiblity with what you do. You have to have those 3 buff skills to do what the Herc does so very well. On the other hand, while Golems tank about half as effectively as a Herc, their skills aren't locked up, and can be filled with attacks. While the Herc has more plain DPS than a Golem over the long run, skills being fired one after another actually can offset that quite a bit. As soon as the cooldown ends on one of my attack skills, I'm immediately firing the next one. Causes quite a bit of damage.

Either way, for those things that don't need Herc to be tanked, it's almost a 6 one way, half a dozen another way. Less healing is more spells from you, but at the same time, you could get close, if not more of the same damage from a damage dealing Magmite. It all really depends on what you're doing with it.
  • Tearvalerin - Sanctuary
    Tearvalerin - Sanctuary Posts: 3,787 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    you also have to remember, on some boss fights, hercs reflect would do more than golem firing off bash and FR would. i mean when tanking something in TT i can reflect 3-4k dmg a hit, thats way more than any attack loaded golem could do.
  • Literature - Harshlands
    Literature - Harshlands Posts: 822 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Oh, I'm not saying anyone is. I'm just pointing out some highlights of the Golem. Since Herc's skills are pretty much locked in as specific skills towards tanking, you don't really have much flexiblity with what you do. You have to have those 3 buff skills to do what the Herc does so very well. On the other hand, while Golems tank about half as effectively as a Herc, their skills aren't locked up, and can be filled with attacks. While the Herc has more plain DPS than a Golem over the long run, skills being fired one after another actually can offset that quite a bit. As soon as the cooldown ends on one of my attack skills, I'm immediately firing the next one. Causes quite a bit of damage.

I would say that a golem is less than half as effective...like 1/5. b:chuckle

Once you get a herc you will not be talking like you are. A golem is complete garbage to a herc user....thats just the way it is. I'll take the extreme tanking over being able to use different skills anyday.

I'll use a quest mob since you guys don't understand the TT bosses. Can you solo tank gargantakong king with your golem? Well I can...easily. ;o
    edited May 2009
    Options
    that is until he uses amp damage and you have to heal more frequently >_>
  • Isala - Sanctuary
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Once you get a herc you will not be talking like you are. A golem is complete garbage to a herc user....thats just the way it is. I'll take the extreme tanking over being able to use different skills anyday.

I'll use a quest mob since you guys don't understand the TT bosses. Can you solo tank gargantakong king with your golem? Well I can...easily. ;o

A: Said it many times. Not getting a Herc. Don't want one. Don't need one. Does it make me a worse Veno in your eyes? If the answer is yes, then good. I'll just gather my friends to do stuff that your Herc could do. I don't honestly care about being able to solo EVERYTHING. Oh, I could solo TT for hours, and make millions, but why? Why should I bother, when I can just ignore TT entirely, and yes, I'm saying it. I IGNORE TT. The only times I ever go in there is when I'm running low on Mirages or when a friend needs a Veno for a Veno's actual job, which is Pulling and Debuffing. Why, you ask? Because I don't NEED TT gear. I've managed to pull off gear BETTER than TT for my purposes. Why do I need EXTREME Magic Damage off of a weapon, when I can manufacture one that has a little less Magic, but better Physical Attack, and interesting bonus stats like Evasion, HP, or Phys Def. I've got a sword I'm waiting to equip that gives me 145 HP and 170 Evasion. Do you know what that does to my PvP Strategies? I have 2 Accuracy Debuffs. You're not going to hit me, and if, by some feat of luck, you do, I have HP enough to last and Leech it back.

B: Congrats on that. Although, one would assume that a Mag Veno at your level could do it anyway. He's what, 15 levels lower than you? I'm going to assume you're equipped with TT 80, as you always talk about all the TT runs you do.

And even though there is no C, I'm going to make a plain point here. I like my Magmite. A lot, in fact. It's pretty much become a running joke that when Izzy is involved, we're going to Smash something. You can enjoy your Herc. Go ahead. I'm not bashing Herc. As has been said, Hercs are found all over the place. We pretty much all know Herc Venos. I know some that are good people, and shatter the "Herc Veno = Ego Butthead" cliche. (You know who you are, and thank you.)

Fact is, folks, if I wanted to tank everything that moves, I'd have rolled a damn Barb. I play a SUPPORT VENO. I'm not a Superstar Diva. You can ask 99.999999999% of people I play with. I don't seek glory and fame and power only for myself. I play with people I care about, both IRL and in game. While some people will be sitting at the top level, strutting their humongous E-Peens, I'll be teaching lower level characters strategies, and tactics for each and everything in this game. And then, I'll go take my friends out PKing, or TWing, and using our strategies we've developed together, actually have fun with it, and not just QQ when we get rolled by everything because we're trying to be an army of one. I do not play this game to only make myself powerful. I carry others along with me, and support them so we can ALL enjoy this game. And if that makes me a fail Veno, then so be it. I'll be the one who is always there, making sure that no matter what happens, I am there for those around me. And I know for a fact, I don't need a damned Herc to be a good person.
  • Sylvini - Heavens Tear
    Sylvini - Heavens Tear Posts: 259 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    yes magmites are good pets, but sylvini refuses to account hercs skills in which it boost hercs stats near 3x as high as the golems. that by far is what makes it the better quality pet. those numbers make a huge difference.
    Actually, I quite plainly have accounted for the Herc skills, including what effect they would have on a Mag (not as impressive as they have on a Herc, but still very impressive skills). You may want to go back and read my posts again.

On a side note, just to be clear, I would love to get a Herc, if I ever gather up the patience and energy to grind for one. Tear, as an experienced TTer, is it feasable to Solo TT 1-1 Squad for Chintien Edges for Herc? Would I make enough for it to be worth it? Would I do better grinding on, let's say, Strong Sori Gnawers for DQ drops?
    edited May 2009
    Options
    A: Said it many times. Not getting a Herc. Don't want one. Don't need one. Does it make me a worse Veno in your eyes? If the answer is yes, then good. I'll just gather my friends to do stuff that your Herc could do. I don't honestly care about being able to solo EVERYTHING. Oh, I could solo TT for hours, and make millions, but why? Why should I bother, when I can just ignore TT entirely, and yes, I'm saying it. I IGNORE TT. The only times I ever go in there is when I'm running low on Mirages or when a friend needs a Veno for a Veno's actual job, which is Pulling and Debuffing. Why, you ask? Because I don't NEED TT gear. I've managed to pull off gear BETTER than TT for my purposes. Why do I need EXTREME Magic Damage off of a weapon, when I can manufacture one that has a little less Magic, but better Physical Attack, and interesting bonus stats like Evasion, HP, or Phys Def. I've got a sword I'm waiting to equip that gives me 145 HP and 170 Evasion. Do you know what that does to my PvP Strategies? I have 2 Accuracy Debuffs. You're not going to hit me, and if, by some feat of luck, you do, I have HP enough to last and Leech it back.

B: Congrats on that. Although, one would assume that a Mag Veno at your level could do it anyway. He's what, 15 levels lower than you? I'm going to assume you're equipped with TT 80, as you always talk about all the TT runs you do.

And even though there is no C, I'm going to make a plain point here. I like my Magmite. A lot, in fact. It's pretty much become a running joke that when Izzy is involved, we're going to Smash something. You can enjoy your Herc. Go ahead. I'm not bashing Herc. As has been said, Hercs are found all over the place. We pretty much all know Herc Venos. I know some that are good people, and shatter the "Herc Veno = Ego Butthead" cliche. (You know who you are, and thank you.)

Fact is, folks, if I wanted to tank everything that moves, I'd have rolled a damn Barb. I play a SUPPORT VENO. I'm not a Superstar Diva. You can ask 99.999999999% of people I play with. I don't seek glory and fame and power only for myself. I play with people I care about, both IRL and in game. While some people will be sitting at the top level, strutting their humongous E-Peens, I'll be teaching lower level characters strategies, and tactics for each and everything in this game. And then, I'll go take my friends out PKing, or TWing, and using our strategies we've developed together, actually have fun with it, and not just QQ when we get rolled by everything because we're trying to be an army of one. I do not play this game to only make myself powerful. I carry others along with me, and support them so we can ALL enjoy this game. And if that makes me a fail Veno, then so be it. I'll be the one who is always there, making sure that no matter what happens, I am there for those around me. And I know for a fact, I don't need a damned Herc to be a good person.

Your ignorance and rationalizing make me giggle. b:chuckle

Equal level mag veno can take gargantakong? Do you mean with a golem? When you get 80 try to take a golem up to gargantakong king. Watch him 1-2 shot the golem with his amp.

Please stop man...just say it. Say "Herc is better. Some things can never be tanked by a golem no matter what level." and leave it at that. >:D
  • cronoslave
    cronoslave Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    I think squads shouldn't be snobs to venos without hercs. Squads that don't accept non-herc venos should consider that venos with hercs don't need squads.

Imo it's a big mistake in game design when a single pet can displace the role of the respective dedicated class.
  • Isala - Sanctuary
    edited May 2009
    Options
    My ignorance may make you laugh, but your lack of reading comprehesion makes me sigh... Literature for a name, yet you can't read simple words... I never said 65 Veno. I said Mag Veno equal to YOUR level. And FYI, I tried. You were right. I can't solo him. LA, remember. So all this talk of tanking [Insert Boss Here] is a pointless argument to me, because I already know that I can't. However, I could, in theory, actually tank him sans pet. I'd just need Clerics with BB and Purify. Because I tested that attribute out as well. With Bramble Hood while unbuffed, which gives you a little bit more Defensive power than a BB + Cleric Buffs, I was having no problem taking his hits, and the Accuracy Debuffs were causing him to miss. Yeah. I died. A few times. Meh. Fact remains that I could, in fact beat him, if I actually gave enough of a damn to try.

Now. Because, you still, to this very point, don't seem to get I'm not arguing with you, I'll say it (Yet again). HERC IS BETTER THAN MAGMITE. Period. No Ifs, no Ands, and no Buts. I've never argued that. All I pointed out is that on a Pure Pet Vs Pet comparison, there are ways to make up for the Attacks per Second, and make a Golem hit harder than a Herc.

So, stop treating me like I'm an Uber Moron. I get it. I completely understand how this works. I've gathered information from more types of Venos.... Hell, more types of PLAYERS than you're willing to admit actually exists. So, please, understand one thing. I may seem like I'm a complete idiot telling all Venos "Don't get Herc." but I'm not. By all means, let all the Venos get Herc if they want. It's just not for me. It's my decision, and I stand by it.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I've got a Robe-wearing Barb to experiment with. That's what I do. I experiment. If I fail, I fix it. If it's unfixable, I scrap it. I read guides, tons, and tons of them. I've probably read all of them on this site. I pick them apart for information which will benefit me. If I see something I can exploit, I try it out for myself. But, honestly, it'll probably benefit me if you do treat me like an idiot. Because then people will ignore what I'm talking about, and by the time they realize that I did, in fact, know what was going on, I'll have passed on my information to people who do listen, and we'll all laugh when we watch everyone trying what people like myself have already tinkered with. A good Example, is HA Veno. How many people went EWWWWWWW! HA VENO! Do not want! Now? We've got a kickass HA Veno up to 90, and suddenly, people are paying attention. Don't just ignore something because you think it's wrong. You don't have to try it, don't even have to touch it in any way, but at least know it exists. Because one day, someone will find a way to perfect it, and it will have capabilities you never dreamed of.
  • Laranda - Heavens Tear
    Laranda - Heavens Tear Posts: 283 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Some things can never be tanked by a golem no matter what level

I've been doing the math. While the herc is definitely better, the math doesn't rule out a golem, and possibly other tankish pets, from being built and handling the bosses a herc would be called on to tank. This would be done by giving a golem Strong, Protect and potentially Blessing depending upon how much hp is needed. If Blessing is not needed, a golem could have threaten, tough, boost or another damage skill instead.

(Note: Assumes Crystalline Golem. Base stats taken from ecatomb.)

Pdef: Herc has 22380. Golem has 21980. Difference of 400.
    Mdef: Herc has 17902. Golem has 14652. Difference of 3250.
    HP: Herc has 4135*. Golem has 3814. Difference of 321.

*Base hp since giving a herc Blessing is unheard of

All in all, I don't see any reason why a golem couldn't be built to handle bosses a herc would face. A herc would still be a more practical choice, but practical and possible are vastly different. o.o
    edited May 2009
    Options
    the magic def is almost a 10% resistance in dmg, and thats quite a bit (if it works like player mdef) in which alot of later TT bosses use magic. its not uncommon for something like dark colluseast to use a magic for 2k+ and then melee for another 1k at his top end damage on herc in which you need all the hp possible to dish it out.

golems are not practical indeeeddd
  • aramua
    aramua Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    I don't think venos without a herc are useless at all. No reason for anyone to imply that they are. Hercs are not cheap and not everyone has the money to buy one (although there has been an increase of people getting one). And it is mainly (note how I said "mainly", not "all") the non-veno jobs who think venos w/o a herc is useless...why don't they go try playing one and feel first-hand how it is to be turned down simply because you don't have a herc. Bet you'd be disappointed too.

I also have a herc and golem (as someone has previously said they do as well) and I love them both. <3
  • SilverTease - Heavens Tear
    SilverTease - Heavens Tear Posts: 197 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    sadly i have to agree with isla. There are too many people in PW that tag others for the worst reasons ever. Such as herc for veno, mp charm for cleric, and so on.

Really gotta point out the fact that a non herc veno is a lot more experienced in PW then a herc veno. Takes some good skills to be able to tank bosses your own lvl with a magmite. Yes, magmite pets can do that - depending on boss' skills, and the players ability to use the veno at full capacity.

Lots of non herc venos will whine about not having cash for a herc... and will automatically underestimate themselves (not the case for isla). IE: veno asking for help with easy bosses such as haggist, farng, charr, shade eido, and so on. If i dare to reply "you can solo that" they're gonna throw me the line "i cant! i dont have a herc like you do!" It's damn true that its a lot easier with a herc, but that doesnt mean that a magmite can't do the job. Point being... most non herc venos dont even try to use their pets at full capacity, when they're being asked to help with something - most likely they will reply with "i dont have a herc". So i really can't blame other classes for ditching non-herc venos.

Gotta agree that herc is damn useful for bosses since it cuts down all costs to run a TT/FB - instead of having a barb tanking with a repair bill of 50k (and lots of charm ticking) its more profitable to have a herc veno tanking with total repair bill of 2k or 3k. Still, venos are support chars, not tanking chars. Venos are supposed to lure, debuff, bramble and pass sparks in a party. If you (as a non herc veno) can do that good enough, people around you won't give a damn if you have a herc or not.

PW players need to understand that having lotsa cash and good pets/items won't make you a good player. Actually, it's the other way around. Players that busted their asses to farm in order to have good items have a lot more experience then a lv10 veno with herc bought by mom & dad. Honestly, i think hercs ruin all the fun of playing a veno (specially if herc comes at low lvls).

In the same idea - again i agree with isla regarding clerics. I do like the game play of a cleric with no MP charm a lot more then charmed clerics. Those that will flame about this saying that BB/RB cant be held up without charms are total noobs in my eyes. I do have an alt as cleric, and i have SEEN clerics holding BB/RB as long as there was needed with pots/pills/jiaozi instead of a charm. Same as isla, i usually team up with non-charmed clerics, simply cause i like their way of handleing things a lot better and i do hate all the b1tching about charm loss when BB/RB is needed.

I really find it sad to see players ditching each other over cash issues, and it's even more sad to state that non herc venos / non charmed clerics are useless. Damn people! they're a lot better then the majority boosted with cash shop stuff.

For those that are gonna flame me for the above statements: i do have a herc! I got it around lv 85 cause i love the fact that it allows me to help out friends/guild mates. Til lv 85 i had a magmite as a pet - used to full capacity. I ran tons of TTs/FBs, and i tanked lots of bosses with magmite and no1 ditched me for not having a herc, simply cause i knew how to do my veno job in a party, and cause i never said "i can't cause i dont have a herc".

@isla: when someone asks if you have a herc - would be best to ignore the question and tell them you CAN handle the task regardless of the pet ur gonna use. b:mischievous
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~ Attitude Marshal ~
    b:pleased I love my Neph b:pleased
  • IzzyLilBunny - Heavens Tear
    IzzyLilBunny - Heavens Tear Posts: 302 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    NO! not useless :O im 64 got a mag same lvl as me and I can solo TT 1-1, meh who needs herc 200$? id rather get a nix since im grinding on flying mobs >_<
    My sig is gone cus lol b:bye
    edited May 2009
    Options
    this thread is turning into pointless arguments :(
  • Reikara - Heavens Tear
    Reikara - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,321 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    You cant do anything besides debuff in TT, you cant rebirth, and it makes the barb have to tank bosses in FBs, it increases repair costs, and makes things highly inefficient as with a second tank you can wipe out mobs way faster

Oh, I didn't realise barbs weren't tanks.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Prowler - Heavens Tear
    Prowler - Heavens Tear Posts: 121 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    I said Mag Veno equal to YOUR level. And FYI, I tried. You were right. I can't solo him. LA, remember.

Even for a a pure mag level 81 veno with a regular magmite (no Herc skills), I would have to see the video to believe they can solo Gargantakong. I know some claim to have. Their veracity is in question. It's not about your being LA, that is just an excuse. (I am LA too).

However, I could, in theory, actually tank him sans pet. I'd just need Clerics with BB and Purify. Because I tested that attribute out as well. With Bramble Hood while unbuffed, which gives you a little bit more Defensive power than a BB + Cleric Buffs, I was having no problem taking his hits, and the Accuracy Debuffs were causing him to miss. Yeah. I died. A few times. Meh. Fact remains that I could, in fact beat him, if I actually gave enough of a damn to try.

No, you could not, in theory or practice. Not at your level and using LA.

Yeah, put two clerics on the job, trying to keep you alive (doubtful), versus a Herc veno soloing Gargantakong and leaving 5 squad slots free for people who need the kill... Looks like your experiment is more about e-peen waving than the herc venos have been doing.

Oh, and Bramble Hood cannot be cast in fox form, so I'm curious about your strategy when Kong hits you with the amplify-damage. Party wipe in the making, sympathies for your clerics.

On a separate note: My first ever flame post on the forums, so something in Isala's post definitely has value enough to drive me past my usual lackadaisical attitude to forums. Apologies, Isala, if my post is too harsh.
    --
    Prowler (Venomancer) on Heaven's Tear

Former Leader of QuestSeek: International level 3 faction.
  • Chaosreaver - Sanctuary
    Chaosreaver - Sanctuary Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options

FYI: you dont need MONEY to buy one, i got my legendary pets for ~40m and ive been playing maybe 3 1/2 months max

lol, ur telling me u got 40m without ever charging zen?
    ur legendary pets still indirectly cost u rl money... so yeah, u do need money for legendary pets, or start saving for like 4 months.
  • FoxRunning - Heavens Tear
    FoxRunning - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    hm, i like your comments...makes me feel a little better about my pile of rocks now. Rodan and i are currently working on lv70+ mobs in and around the swamp, and usually taking them out in about 3 hits max. i guess part of my problem with golems dates way back, to my preference in using wolves as my tanks for much of the game, until i hit the 50s. then i had to switch over to my crabby, who was my tank till i got stuck in the bleeping swamp. i never liked using the golem, mainly because of its size taking up so much of the screen, and being hard to play around, especially in dark FBs. i still dont much like him, but i am grateful for his help now.

i just hope that i can one day be able to go back to using my other pets....or am i 'married' to a golem for the rest of the game?

sadly i have to agree with isla. There are too many people in PW that tag others for the worst reasons ever. Such as herc for veno, mp charm for cleric, and so on.

Really gotta point out the fact that a non herc veno is a lot more experienced in PW then a herc veno. Takes some good skills to be able to tank bosses your own lvl with a magmite. Yes, magmite pets can do that - depending on boss' skills, and the players ability to use the veno at full capacity.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    (and hugs to Flauschkatze for the sig!)
    "Thanks for writing me-- it's always great to hear from a vet.

-FrankieRaye"
    Playing here since '08b:heart
  • Prowler - Heavens Tear
    Prowler - Heavens Tear Posts: 121 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    But it seems like some people wouldn't even give them the chance.

One of the best venos on HT I have ever squadded with, Niall, had no herc till a couple of weeks ago, but is by far the best lurer and veno squad-mate I have ever worked with - to the extent that Niall and her frog are almost a pre-requisite for any TT run I would agree to go on. ...not that I haven't tried squads with many other venos, time and again.

With no fancy legendary gear, no refines on their equipment, and no cash shop pets, players like Niall still earn their place and others' respect with their skills and perfect timing.

It is the unskilled venos who end up whining to be given a chance.
    --
    Prowler (Venomancer) on Heaven's Tear

Former Leader of QuestSeek: International level 3 faction.
  • Pasha - Dreamweaver
    Pasha - Dreamweaver Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    i use a lunar lupine. mainly because im an attk veno. right now he has lvl4 flesh ream and lvl 5 howl. soon to have tough or blessing. what this means is, he does -36% mag resistance to my enemies mob or player, and bleeds them. the trade off is, sure i cant tank some bosses with him, but i can assist other venos with hercs with bosses, and in pvp/pve i can kill much faster because im an arcane veno, and the lvl 5 howl lets me hit hella hard. so in any pvp, where any smart player kills the veno not the pet, ima eat you alive before the veno with the herc does. and now since genies have healing, the nix has been offset as well. simply put, id rather kill faster than be able to tank bosses. if you really think a hercless veno is useless, well ill see you in TW, or better yet, if you see me duel me. lol. lets not QQ over some idiots opinion. ill put my hercless veno up against any one.
  • DaMan - Dreamweaver
    DaMan - Dreamweaver Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    dont make things up they dont add to your argument. you -need- a herc to kill those mobs during bean collecting, ive seen them kill wizards in LA who have 2x the pdef of my old golem.

it saves time and money in TT by minimizing repair costs, and makes mob luring and killing faster whether its tanking, or pulling a mob for the barb while holding its own.

5$ says i can outplay any veno without a herc, and for the most part i have yet to be proven wrong :P

FYI: you dont need MONEY to buy one, i got my legendary pets for ~40m and ive been playing maybe 3 1/2 months max

kinda lookin at this, I'm fairly new to this but if I were facing a veno with a herc I'ld take it to the air with a flyer. I don't have a herc and to be honest one or two pet's kinda takes away from individuality. As is I would much rather use a wolf then a golem but unfortunately they don't tank good how ever better for catching the quick mobs in TT I've already noticed. All I'm sayin is give us more options then Herc and Nix. oh and as far as other thing golem with tough and boost works pretty good.
    I'm not anti-herc, I'm anti-bad veno!!!
  • Elentir - Sanctuary
    Elentir - Sanctuary Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    I may be going off topic a bit, but I use charms only as the convenience of not having to immediately use a potion or powder. I don't use them as a means to get in on juicy instances or w/e, because I can function without the charm rather well. Clerics that rely solely on charms are putting themselves at risk for when the 10 second charge ticks, cuz Lord knows a squishy cannon is quite squishy indeed... To put this in Final Fantasy, Charm is my Auto Potion, Powders are my Regen and other stat boosters, and pots are my Potions, Elixers are my... Elixers, event foods are my Hi- and X-Potions, Guardian Angels are my Auto Life, and Rez Scrolls are my Phoenix Downs. My only wish is that those kooky Antidotes weren't only restricted for purchase in TW...

Btw-White Mages always use Protection :P
  • shammahbenjudah
    shammahbenjudah Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    I have sort of browsed this thread a little and it brings to mind some of my own recent observations with this game.

I've done a fair amount of alpha and beta game testing to help developers get their games to work like they want them to. The feedback I would offer to PW about this game is very simple. There are too many nerfs in the game.

Everything is nerfed and in many cases its dramatic. Don't get me wrong, a free to play game needs some nerfs to generate some cash shop sales so the game can survive and make a profit. And I don't think anyone has a problem with that.

These nerfs are precisely calculated to barely keep the game "playable" for those who can't afford cash shop items. The fact that gold is a saleable item in-game indicates that they've given consideration to this situation and made a way for these players to get some cash shop items. And this establishes a balance of some measure for the in-game economy.

This game is extremely well designed and plays out technically speaking, better than any game I've tested before. Graphically speaking, its awesome...I can't tell you how many times I said "Wow!" when I first started reviewing and playing the game. It was not cheap to design, it is not cheap to continue developing and it isn't cheap to host and support.

I think we all understand that and have no problem with supporting the game. But I also think that PWI needs to take into consideration the times we live in. Many people are struggling to get and keep a job and the global economy is kind of in the crapper right now. And that's a lot of stress on us in real life.

A nice game like this one can help a lot with stress relief, but when its so expensive to overcome the nerfs they've implemented to generate revenue, it adds more to the stress than it relieves.

The thing they have left up to us to deal with is how we allow these nerfs to effect our gameplay and personal interactions with each other and that my friends, is up to us.

My feelings are pretty simple about the cash shop thing. If you have a herc or nix or fancy mount or whatever, that's great and thank you for helping to support the game. But if you feel the need to lord it over me as if you're a better gamer because you spent some money, please accept this invitation to PM me in game...I will be only to glad to tell you where to go and exactly what to do with yourself when you get there.

There are a lot of good, helpful people in the game, hook up and have some fun...the nerfs won't matter among friends.
  • FoxRunning - Heavens Tear
    FoxRunning - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    are you working the swamp with your lunar? please tell me what you use there...that place is a nightmare for me. i saw a friend using hers against one of the death knights, and it did fine. maybe i can pull my old Tycho out and have some good times with him again after all!
    i use a lunar lupine. mainly because im an attk veno. right now he has lvl4 flesh ream and lvl 5 howl. soon to have tough or blessing. what this means is, he does -36% mag resistance to my enemies mob or player, and bleeds them. the trade off is, sure i cant tank some bosses with him, but i can assist other venos with hercs with bosses, and in pvp/pve i can kill much faster because im an arcane veno, and the lvl 5 howl lets me hit hella hard. so in any pvp, where any smart player kills the veno not the pet, ima eat you alive before the veno with the herc does. and now since genies have healing, the nix has been offset as well. simply put, id rather kill faster than be able to tank bosses. if you really think a hercless veno is useless, well ill see you in TW, or better yet, if you see me duel me. lol. lets not QQ over some idiots opinion. ill put my hercless veno up against any one.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    (and hugs to Flauschkatze for the sig!)
    "Thanks for writing me-- it's always great to hear from a vet.

-FrankieRaye"
    Playing here since '08b:heart
  • Isala - Sanctuary
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Even for a a pure mag level 81 veno with a regular magmite (no Herc skills), I would have to see the video to believe they can solo Gargantakong. I know some claim to have. Their veracity is in question. It's not about your being LA, that is just an excuse. (I am LA too).

No, you could not, in theory or practice. Not at your level and using LA.

Yeah, put two clerics on the job, trying to keep you alive (doubtful), versus a Herc veno soloing Gargantakong and leaving 5 squad slots free for people who need the kill... Looks like your experiment is more about e-peen waving than the herc venos have been doing.

Oh, and Bramble Hood cannot be cast in fox form, so I'm curious about your strategy when Kong hits you with the amplify-damage. Party wipe in the making, sympathies for your clerics.

On a separate note: My first ever flame post on the forums, so something in Isala's post definitely has value enough to drive me past my usual lackadaisical attitude to forums. Apologies, Isala, if my post is too harsh.

Oh, your post isn't too harsh. What I meant about the Bramble Hood is that Blue Bubble gives close to the same defensive properties as Bramble Hood, and that I could probably use that to tank him. As for Bramble Hood not being casted in Fox Form. I know this. Kong actually has a distance attack, so my usual method for doing it won't work, but all that is really needed for most Melee Bosses is to kite for a bit, switch out of Fox, drop the Hood, and pop back into Fox and go back to work. I've tested this out myself alone and unaided, and have soloed bosses without a tanking pet.

And, really, I don't have an E-Peen. I'm just trying to figure out a way to be useful for those times when Herc or Barb isn't available. And as for my comment being LA, I'm actually a modified LA build. I've sacrificed Magic for Vitality, making my healing even weaker than yours, I'd assume.

However, my build does allow me to survive a lot more than your average Veno. I've put a lot of effort into my gear, as well, something not many Venos have to bother with. I need precise stats on my stuff, and I strive to obtain that, so I can do what I do better. I think at this point, I've pretty much refined everything I own as well, to give me a lot more HP on top of the Vit/Phys Res boosts I desire. Even my weapons are refined. And the one I've got now comes with +HP and Eva. I don't neglect my gear. It's what keeps me alive when my skill fails me.

As for my comment to Lit, in her post she asked the question if I could solo Kong with Golem, and then made the comment that she could, easily. That's why I made the comparison of level/build.
    edited May 2009
    Options
    However, my build does allow me to survive a lot more than your average Veno. I've put a lot of effort into my gear, as well, something not many Venos have to bother with. I need precise stats on my stuff, and I strive to obtain that, so I can do what I do better. I think at this point, I've pretty much refined everything I own as well, to give me a lot more HP on top of the Vit/Phys Res boosts I desire. Even my weapons are refined. And the one I've got now comes with +HP and Eva. I don't neglect my gear. It's what keeps me alive when my skill fails me.

lol ur logic is such fail. If yo refine all your items/put so much effort into them then why not save for an op battle pet? You don't even have to get a herc 1st...get a nix. ;o

Right now I'm leveling to 90 for TT90 heavy set. Heavy veno + nix = wtfpwn. I recently finished the 1st step which was farming the nix.

So basically we are aiming for the same thing except I'm being smart about it. b:laugh
  • Isala - Sanctuary
    edited May 2009
    Options
    lol ur logic is such fail. If yo refine all your items/put so much effort into them then why not save for an op battle pet? You don't even have to get a herc 1st...get a nix. ;o

Right now I'm leveling to 90 for TT90 heavy set. Heavy veno + nix = wtfpwn. I recently finished the 1st step which was farming the nix.

So basically we are aiming for the same thing except I'm being smart about it. b:laugh

Just keep telling yourself that, Lit. If that's what you want to believe, by all means, don't let me disillusion you. I'm playing my way, you're playing your way. We'll both see when we get there who was better, agreed?
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Just keep telling yourself that, Lit. If that's what you want to believe, by all means, don't let me disillusion you. I'm playing my way, you're playing your way. We'll both see when we get there who was better, agreed?

lol pve players seem to have this idea that their "skills" will carry them. But it's not really about skill alone. It's about skill + gear.

If you are skilled and a another skilled player outgears you...then you fail. That's how it is on pvp servers. Playing pve and being able to toggle pvp on/off has warped your brain if you think you can do without something like a nix. b:bye
  • Deepwater - Sanctuary
    Deepwater - Sanctuary Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Hmm its not really a thing to QQ over. I don't have a herc <yet> and I've done fine all these levels without a magmite. Sure sometimes it's inconvenient that I can't tank bosses, but you can always find ways to get around that. b:chuckle

Venos without nixes on the otherhand, are pretty much useless in pvp. b:cry

I agree with you. I dont have a magmite, i dont see myself getting a herc anytime soon. i use a Guardian Wolf and i do just fine with it. And i dont have a nix but i dont do pvp.
This discussion has been closed.