I'm on a mission to gain 10 billion

Comments

• Ephemerai - Sanctuary
    Ephemerai - Sanctuary Posts: 335 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    ^ Probably because there's a massive number of shops for people to look through and yours gets lost in the clutter in Arch, but at 1k it's relatively empty and easier to remember which shop is which =P

There are also strategic areas where you can sell certain items easily. But yeah. I has lots to learn too >__<
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary
    WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary Posts: 1,686 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    b:embarrass Don't give him more ideas....

Lol care to share some advice which market would be a good place to start off for the... um poorer population ._.
    If it's not a secret XD
    It depends how poor you are.

If you're really broke, like less than 1 million or so, then probably things like DQ31, or 1 Thousand Year Lees Wine, or Element Essence would work best. The trick to these kinds of items is that you buy them cheap, then set up at the place they are needed. If there's no competition, people will gladly spend double the price if it saves them a trip back to town. You can double your money, but unfortunately volumes are low so you can only expect a profit of about 200-400k per day.

Once you have around 2 million or so to invest, it's time to move on to things like Mirages or Perfect Stones. You basically set up in a high traffic area offering to buy for a lower price and sell for a higher price. It takes awhile to figure out what prices will work best, and you'll also start facing more competition, but it's worth it. Once you figure this kind of trading out you can start expecting a million per day profit, possibly more.

Another option is to set up to buy Tokens for cheap, then make items out of them (Socket Stone, Teles, Oracles, Shards, etc...) and sell them. This generally generates a million or so per day, with the possibility for more depending on the markets.

After awhile, though, you'll end up with more money to invest than you can put to use. That's when it's time to move into cash-shop sale items. The margins are much slimmer, the competition fiercer, but you can move larger quantities and thus generate more profit. However, if you invest poorly (which I've done many times) you can expect to lose quite a bit, so be cautious at first.

Hope this helps! I'm certain this isn't the only way to invest successfully, but it's just my experience.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PWI Merchanting Guides: warrenwolfy.wordpress.com
  • Revoltech - Lost City
    Revoltech - Lost City Posts: 73 Arc User
    edited April 2010

If you're really broke, like less than 1 million or so, then probably things like DQ31, or 1 Thousand Year Lees Wine, or Element Essence would work best. The trick to these kinds of items is that you buy them cheap, then set up at the place they are needed. If there's no competition, people will gladly spend double the price if it saves them a trip back to town. You can double your money, but unfortunately volumes are low so you can only expect a profit of about 200-400k per day.

Once you have around 2 million or so to invest, it's time to move on to things like Mirages or Perfect Stones. You basically set up in a high traffic area offering to buy for a lower price and sell for a higher price. It takes awhile to figure out what prices will work best, and you'll also start facing more competition, but it's worth it. Once you figure this kind of trading out you can start expecting a million per day profit, possibly more.

Another option is to set up to buy Tokens for cheap, then make items out of them (Socket Stone, Teles, Oracles, Shards, etc...) and sell them. This generally generates a million or so per day, with the possibility for more depending on the markets.

After awhile, though, you'll end up with more money to invest than you can put to use. That's when it's time to move into cash-shop sale items. The margins are much slimmer, the competition fiercer, but you can move larger quantities and thus generate more profit. However, if you invest poorly (which I've done many times) you can expect to lose quite a bit, so be cautious at first.

Hope this helps! I'm certain this isn't the only way to invest successfully, but it's just my experience.

I love you for this b:dirty.
  • VlLKASS - Sanctuary
    VlLKASS - Sanctuary Posts: 1,396 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Thing is, I had about 5.7m worth of stuff in my catshop last night. Underpriced IMO hoping they would sell. lmao, come back 9 hours later... only sold 1 mirage celestone. I made 14k lmao. Funny thing is, I set up in south arch, or close to west dis and hardly get any sells, but if i set up in 1k stream (sold some mats there)... I can sell out in just a few hours. It's like someone sets a shop up beside mine, points to it saying "Don't buy from Hop" . lmao, i should probably just stick to soloing TTs and selling the mats.

Yeah location is very important & can impact sales a lot.

I don't like selling up in arch. It's too laggy, tons of other cats, too unnoticable. I only set up in arch if I'm watching movies or smth & can copy-paste Ads in trade or common channel every few minutes or so.

I know the place I'm at isn't as crowded & not so much traffic, but at the same time not so much competition + an easy spot to remember & I'm in everyones face b:chuckle

Furthermore, the time when you set up shop is important. Most ppl play when it's my night ._. So I always gota stock a shizload on items, since if inventory is sold out I can't replace & catshop is just stnading useless (if I got enough spare $ that is)

Ty WarrenWolfy for sharing. b:cute

To add, what could help is keep track at wc (but you'll need to already have some put away $ stored to do this) if you see somebody wcs for selling an item, pm them with a so-so price b:chuckle Some might laught at you or call you an idiot or crazy b:chuckle But as I said to one of the "satistfied" customers today "You never know when ppl will get desperate". If you don't get the deal you won't loose nothing. However, wat often happens is after laughting me out I see the same ppl wcing/shouting/etc again after a while about selling the same item :3 & if they are in a hurry for some money, you're in luck.

Though I think I get half the deals just for being annoying & ppl pay me to leave them alone.

Oh & best advice... STOP BUYING ALL THAT OVERPRICED FASHION & SPARKLY THINGS Q.Q
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Evga - Sanctuary
    Evga - Sanctuary Posts: 779 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Oh & best advice... STOP BUYING ALL THAT OVERPRICED FASHION & SPARKLY THINGS Q.Q

BEST ADVICE EVER, i got people who keep saying they are broke and i ask how many fashion pieces they have.... and the numbers are scary....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • VlLKASS - Sanctuary
    edited April 2010
    BEST ADVICE EVER, i got people who keep saying they are broke and i ask how many fashion pieces they have.... and the numbers are scary....

<_< U're loaded u're not one to talk. I've seen at least 3 simultenious catshops with your name on'em. b:embarrass

b:chuckle Plz share with us your wisdom Evga b:cute
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ZoanoAce - Lost City
    ZoanoAce - Lost City Posts: 469 Arc User
    edited April 2010

Thank you Sensei (no pun lol), your words of wisdom have enlightened me to a viable path to making coin again.b:thanksb:thanksb:thanksb:thanks
    ●Barb - The "natural" leader. Cool and collected, slow to anger, and typically jovial. Swift to act when friends' lives are in danger, and prepared to lay down his life if the situation calls for it.

End of lvling, starting of the unimaginableb:laughb:victoryb:coolb:cool
  • iamthegodofwar
    iamthegodofwar Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    <_< U're loaded u're not one to talk. I've seen at least 3 simultenious catshops with your name on'em.

Plz share with us your wisdom Evga

Heh, no kidding. All set up at W. Arch tele too. b:chuckle Either he/she has multiple comps or is multi-clienting. b:shocked
  • AlbireoTwo - Lost City
    AlbireoTwo - Lost City Posts: 2,056 Arc User
    edited April 2010

Also undercut everyone else so that you get all the sales. b:avoid
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thank you Forsakenx for the picture. b:thanks
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Also, cash shop sales can be maddening because of the constantly changing price of gold. You can convert a bunch of coin to gold, buy the cash shop items, and put them on your shop at a ~10% mark-up. Then the next day gold drops in price and suddenly you have competitors selling the same thing you are at a price below what you paid.

You need to have enough cash to tide you over the downturns like this. On average, you will still make that 10%. Just that sometimes you will make 20%, sometimes you will lose 10%.
    Yes. It's important to understand that in most cases, you maximize your overall profit by decreasing your profit per item. The additional profit from the increase in the amount of items you sell will almost always out outweigh the reduced profit per item.

That said, the market in PW is extremely inefficient. If someone sets up a shop next to yours undercutting your prices, a lot of times you can recover simply by moving your shop a little further away. Same with AH. Many, many times my price for an item is not the best, but because it's on an earlier page than the lower priced items, lazy people will buy mine.
  • VlLKASS - Sanctuary
    edited April 2010

I find price wars extremely fun b:chuckle When you start undercutting each other over & over lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Della_Brown - Heavens Tear
    Della_Brown - Heavens Tear Posts: 98 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Same with AH. Many, many times my price for an item is not the best, but because it's on an earlier page than the lower priced items, lazy people will buy mine.
    I've generally had it the other way around: I deliberately price mine, first bid and buy offer, lower than any other, and when I have several of the same thing, find, let's say, half, sold. b:question
    Oh, the other half is no longer on the first page, so people are paying 5, 10, maybe 20+% or more, instead of buying my cheaper item. b:cry

It's working out over time, though--just in low hundreds of thousands of coin, rather than the unfathomable billions. I only started getting serious during the 2x drops (there's a lot less risk when a failure just means 30-45 minutes of grinding to recover from--not all of us have the talent for speculation), and am making about as much just buying and selling now as I do grinding and cat shopping my own drops.

For me, it was the mid and high level armors looking ugly, that got me motivated. b:surrender

10B is high, and there is a limited amount of coin and gold, but you guys thinking it's just impossible need to go back to primary school and pay attention in econ. After awhile, a plateau can be reached, where you don't need to make money for specific immediate wants and needs, and can get things others want to pay money for (or, if the gold buy/sell spread is high, good old fashion currency speculation), at which point the limits of coin and gold on the server, and a desire for items right now, will matter more than how fast anyone can grind/quest and sell anything. Starting with 400k+ coin/gold, it's going to be more of a PITA for us relative n00blets to get started, but there's nothing impossible about it.
    "adults on HT is an ancient myth used to scare away the kids from stealing their parents credit cards D:" - Santacruz
  • _Rosaly_ - Lost City
    _Rosaly_ - Lost City Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    As a non cash-shopper. Who's with me?!?!
    So how close to your goal are you now?

This thread has become an inspiration to me. I'm sick and tired of being broke all the time. Hell, I'm so broke usually, I've actually gotten stuck in the cube because
    1. I had no coins on me
    2. I had already used my town teleport skill
    3. There were no mobs to kill myself on
    4. PvP was not enabled in that room
    5. I had no coins on me!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Ephemerai - Sanctuary
    Ephemerai - Sanctuary Posts: 335 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    ^ This thread also inspired me to try to start making some coin, haha.

It's going slow so far, guess I haven't found the best market atm, but I've got patience n_n
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Barbarian - Dreamweaver
    Barbarian - Dreamweaver Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited April 2010

This thread has become an inspiration to me. I'm sick and tired of being broke all the time. Hell, I'm so broke usually, I've actually gotten stuck in the cube because
    1. I had no coins on me

At the moment:
    About 9k 1 star orbs.
    207 mil coins
    1005 Tiger Packs
    1521 Coral Packs
    412 Boutique Gold

Too lazy to compute how much that is but hoping to break 3 Billion by the end of Tiger Pack sale.
    Will update after Pack sale's over.
    EQ Goal:
    G15 Nirvana Weapon ACHIEVED!
    Refines +12 ACHIEVED!
    Reroll for Adv. zerk.
    G12 Amber
    G12 Garnet
    Full Nirvana Lunar Armor set
    Armor Pieces (0/6)
    Uncanny needed for G15 (0/1500)
    Tome Scroll (0/1)
    Vit Stones needed assuming 3 sockets per Armor Pieces (0/18)
  • Bellatriix - Archosaur
    Bellatriix - Archosaur Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited April 2010

1. I had no coins on me

Oh god I know how that goes. =_= My friends hated me because I kept bugging them to keep myself from going insane for an hour.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I got a ss of acu and bella spawning.."
  • Kupuntu - Sanctuary
    Kupuntu - Sanctuary Posts: 3,008 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    At the moment:
    About 9k 1 star orbs.
    207 mil coins
    1005 Tiger Packs
    1521 Coral Packs
    412 Boutique Gold

Too lazy to compute how much that is but hoping to break 3 Billion by the end of Tiger Pack sale.

Nice job. I hope you get the things you want with your money and show the true power of merchanting b:laugh
    100% F2P player. Started PW: March 2007, Quit PW: March 2011.
    pwcalc.com/e7016929e7b204ae "Pure axe" 8k HP multipath BM, last one of my kind.
  • Chillum - Dreamweaver
    Chillum - Dreamweaver Posts: 887 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    At the moment:
    About 9k 1 star orbs.
    207 mil coins
    1005 Tiger Packs
    1521 Coral Packs
    412 Boutique Gold

Making some rough assumptions:

[HTML]
    Item Number Price Sum
    1 * D Orbs 9,000 80,000 720,000,000
    Cash 207,000,000
    Tiger Packs 1,005 425,000 427,125,000
    Coral Packs 1,521 425,000 646,425,000
    Boutique Gold 412 400,000 164,800,000

[/HTML]

Any road, even if by these assumptions you are short of 3 billion, good job on getting where you are.

b:victory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • AlbireoTwo - Lost City
    edited April 2010
    At the moment:
    About 9k 1 star orbs.
    207 mil coins
    1005 Tiger Packs
    1521 Coral Packs
    412 Boutique Gold

I'de say approximately 2.2 bil if you use cheap pricing. Probably a lot more if you use actual pricing.

Chillum beat me to it. I used different pricings though. Difference in servers probably. Or me making bad price guesses.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Esnemyl - Dreamweaver
    Esnemyl - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,079 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    O.o Chill jsut got my brain screwed. too much mathz!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]<3 by Silvy
    Reborn ditzy archer with a serious oreo addiction =3

'...cuz my IQ is just above what is required to function as a human' - tsumaru2
  • Chillum - Dreamweaver
    edited April 2010
    I'de say approximately 2.2 bil if you use cheap pricing. Probably a lot more if you use actual pricing.

Chillum beat me to it. I used different pricings though. Difference in servers probably. Or me making bad price guesses.

I was being conservative with the pricing so if Barbarian is patient which I get the impression he / she is, then they'll be able to realise more per item.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Chillum - Dreamweaver
    edited April 2010
    O.o Chill jsut got my brain screwed. too much mathz!

I'm sorry. b:cry
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • AlbireoTwo - Lost City
    edited April 2010
    I was being conservative with the pricing so if Barbarian is patient which I get the impression he / she is, then they'll be able to realise more per item.
    Ah, I see. I thought you were using actual pricing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• VlLKASS - Sanctuary
    edited April 2010
    Another advice... becareful converting stuff wiht tokens... I accidently pressd the wrong item & now lost a shizload of money with Best Lucks ._. Well ****... b:cry
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • peacefulsilence
    peacefulsilence Posts: 117 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Can probably buy the stuff you need to make a warsoul weapon with 10 Billion.
  • Barbarian - Dreamweaver
    Barbarian - Dreamweaver Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    ATM:
    3092 Tiger Packs
    977 Coral Packs
    8k 1* orbs? *Stored those on another character*
    2.9 gold b:laugh
    EQ Goal:
    G15 Nirvana Weapon ACHIEVED!
    Refines +12 ACHIEVED!
    Reroll for Adv. zerk.
    G12 Amber
    G12 Garnet
    Full Nirvana Lunar Armor set
    Armor Pieces (0/6)
    Uncanny needed for G15 (0/1500)
    Tome Scroll (0/1)
    Vit Stones needed assuming 3 sockets per Armor Pieces (0/18)
  • Sgt - Raging Tide
    Sgt - Raging Tide Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    ATM:
    3092 Tiger Packs
    977 Coral Packs

That's more than 5,000 USD...
  • SilverCleric - Lost City
    SilverCleric - Lost City Posts: 1,969 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    ATM:
    3092 Tiger Packs
    977 Coral Packs
    That's more than 5,000 USD...

That's my question how much $$$ have you spent on this stuff Barb? b:puzzled
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

✰The Nostradamus of PWI ✰

★ A not so Retired Veteran of PWI ★

✰ ~SilverCleric~ ✰
  • A_Noob - Dreamweaver
    A_Noob - Dreamweaver Posts: 72 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    I wouldn't hold those orbs for much longer lol.

d orb sales probably coming today.
  • Traz - Dreamweaver
    Traz - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    That's my question how much $$$ have you spent on this stuff Barb? b:puzzled

didn't you hear?
    As a non cash-shopper. Who's with me?!?!

Free of course $5k starting with no USD at all :D..... LOL b:bye
    BladedZero - Sanctuary
    "Also I don't think actually playing through the game helps your skill either."

-And we wonder why this game has gone to hell b:cute
This discussion has been closed.