Wizard Guide for Newcomers.

Comments

• Eriosu - Heavens Tear
    Eriosu - Heavens Tear Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Okay, read the guide but something SERIOUSLY stumps me...

Why oh why does everyone say to not put anything in Vitality? Surely having a tiny HP total is going to make you the biggest bullseye in the whole of PWI?

Granted there are equips which give HP bonuses, but if you literally put nothing into VIT then how are you supposed to combat opponents with 3000+ HP when you're sitting in triple digits?

Is there some seriously powerful resistance spell we get which renders us nearly untouchable? Is the whole point never to come close enough to get attacked in the first instance? Sounds a bit too 'glass cannon' for my liking.

This really confuses me :/

Wizard and Archers are alike. You kill before you are killed. Very simple to understand.
  • Ursa - Dreamweaver
    Ursa - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,634 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Okay, read the guide but something SERIOUSLY stumps me...

Why oh why does everyone say to not put anything in Vitality? Surely having a tiny HP total is going to make you the biggest bullseye in the whole of PWI?

Granted there are equips which give HP bonuses, but if you literally put nothing into VIT then how are you supposed to combat opponents with 3000+ HP when you're sitting in triple digits?

Is there some seriously powerful resistance spell we get which renders us nearly untouchable? Is the whole point never to come close enough to get attacked in the first instance? Sounds a bit too 'glass cannon' for my liking.

This really confuses me :/
    wizards and archers rely on killing before getting hit principle. We don't have any survival skills at all.
    So basically our best defense is our offense.
    Unlike archers, wizards are very weak a low lvls. You have to live with that for a while. You want survival, roll a BM/Barb/Veno/Cleric. Those are classes that are built to survive.
    For a wizard HP comes late in game, usually after 90 when u go with refines to +5 and have ornaments with both HP and Pdef. At that point the whole game changes.
    As someone once told me, at 90 spend every last coin u have. At 99 go broke.

~I listen to hardcore FIGHT songs when I visit the forum, just to get into the proper mood~

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Cryxtal - Sanctuary
    Cryxtal - Sanctuary Posts: 168 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    lol u dun really even need 1 vit added. I havent done so at all. I can win bm/ barb/archer/cleric(Sometimes)/Veno (Have a chance if u are LA to tank phoenix's few hits and able to carry out a hard hitting BT/Other wiz 50% i guess or if he sux, 100%.

Vit is negligible. Go for pure damage like what Ursa said. Ur whole point is to nuke fast.
    Love Is Complicated.
    「愛は複雑だ.」
    Amor es muy complicado.
    《爱是复杂的》

Do not argue with an idiot, he will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience. b:bye
  • bastzine
    bastzine Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Thank you for this. I'm level 12 and don't have any Chi yet. I hope to get it soon. I'm working on the quests, hope it helps. :)
  • evildamn
    evildamn Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    hello, new to the game :)
    i rolled my wizard just yesterday and i put everything on magic :O
    so its wise to put a few on strength, right? im only interested in pve atm
  • Kannone - Heavens Tear
    Kannone - Heavens Tear Posts: 907 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    evildamn wrote: »
    hello, new to the game :)
    i rolled my wizard just yesterday and i put everything on magic :O
    so its wise to put a few on strength, right? im only interested in pve atm

At lv 90 you'll need a maximum of 52 strength. If you're all about PvE then 9:1 magic:strength ratio is what you'd probably want to aim for.

err also, this guide is terrible. Don't mind too much of what dtone or whoever it was that wrote this guide says(same with Streaker's guide for newbies). Check out Seraphim's wiz guide, much much better & written by someone who played past level 55.

And on that note; another message to the forum mods: please replace these two awful "guides" with Seraphim's guide. Thanks :)
  • leviathann
    leviathann Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    The stats should be sorta obvious and the guide aren't that good, sorry but I'm being honest. Thanks for the efforts though.
  • MagicHamsta - Lost City
    MagicHamsta - Lost City Posts: 10,466 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    "At later levels, when you master the use of macros,"

err...PvP wizards never use macros. b:embarrass
    it casts slower then if you send commands yourself lol. actually me don't even use macros PvE either lol.
    no one who pvps against decent people uses macros lol. (except archer/venos/clerics against lowbie wizards)
    xD
    darthpanda16: Firefox crashed on me. Aryannamage: I don't think I am a GM that would be new.
    Hawk:Do this. closing thread
    frankieraye: I'll see if we can replace the woman with a stick figure and the tiger fangs with marshmallows.//Issues like these need to get escalated quickly to minimize the damage.
    Kantorek: Yeah.. you should try it. It's awesome.
    Sihndra: Nope- not currently possible under any circumstances. Sorry.
    LokisDottir: I mean...not haunting the forums, nope nope..
    Konariraiden: You don't know what you are up against. You will lose.
    Waiting for...Hamster Packs!
    58% chance to get tokens
    41% chance to get an all class pet hamster....but they has already been freed by the magic hamster.
    1% chance to get ban hamstered with the message "Hamsters United!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Disappear - Lost City
    Disappear - Lost City Posts: 327 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    "At later levels, when you master the use of macros,"

err...PvP wizards never use macros. b:embarrass
    it casts slower then if you send commands yourself lol. actually me don't even use macros PvE either lol.
    no one who pvps against decent people uses macros lol. (except archer/venos/clerics against lowbie wizards)
    xD

I always macro my pitfall and crown of flames.

(actually on a serious note...thats a good idea when doing bosses)
  • _Oaken_ - Heavens Tear
    _Oaken_ - Heavens Tear Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    an amazing guide, thank you.
  • Kannone - Heavens Tear
    edited November 2009
    an amazing guide, thank you.

omg seriously? b:shockedb:shutup
    edited November 2009
    I always macro my pitfall and crown of flames.

(actually on a serious note...thats a good idea when doing bosses)

only on bosses. lols me do that for TT bosses only. (X_X)'
    xD
    you can't really rely on macros during pvp/RB/zhen.
    (also manually doing it while questing makes it go faster & save more mana *because you can kill faster & meditate in the saved time.*)
    xD
    b:sweat
    darthpanda16: Firefox crashed on me. Aryannamage: I don't think I am a GM that would be new.
    frankieraye: I'll see if we can replace the woman with a stick figure and the tiger fangs with marshmallows.//Issues like these need to get escalated quickly to minimize the damage.
    58% chance to get tokens
    41% chance to get an all class pet hamster....but they has already been freed by the magic hamster.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Nerithos - Sanctuary
    Nerithos - Sanctuary Posts: 370 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    I use macros for EVERYTHING

...>_>

But seriously, there's very little lag when macros come into play. The only thing they do is to make spell chains automatic so you don't have to press too many buttons.
  • MondKatze - Dreamweaver
    MondKatze - Dreamweaver Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Which armor should you use when you go after the hybrid build?
    *wonders how Tideborn will fly*
    b:chuckle

This is my little forum-veno :P
  • MondKatze - Dreamweaver
    MondKatze - Dreamweaver Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    I think you should be using arcane gear with a mix of +physical defense and +health adds and a mix of garnets and citrines when you shard.

Here is a quick guide for choosing gear: Examine your minimum magic attack, your self buffed physical defense and your health, and when you have to choose between two options that would otherwise seem equal you should improve whichever of them was the smallest.

Okay, thank you ^_^
    *wonders how Tideborn will fly*
    b:chuckle

This is my little forum-veno :P
  • kr0k3r
    kr0k3r Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    very good post i have to say, but i think u should put there some pk guide for wizz too =]

gratz for guide! cya in game!
  • ongakuangel
    ongakuangel Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Hey so i have a lvl 53 all water wiz. i just thought id look at forums while i patched up. I find this one really helpful (though its long and i didn't read past page 4). I just have a question: no one mentions anything about specializing in one element. My wiz is all water, save for my un-leveld beginning skills. I learns after dying about 8 times in 4 hours or less how to kite the hard way. My question is, what are the disadvantages to having an all-one-element wiz and 2: How the heck can i kill an archer?! Everything else i can hold my own at least (watch out for plume shot my clerics, ouch!) but i get ***** by archers.
    Thanks a lot, i dont forum much (kinda prefer to play). I gonna fix my built to med (mag 7 vit 2 str 1). i used to be pure but i got sick of losing health so fast. Also, about mage tanks- it's very possible (bring heals!!!!) and lots of fun ^^
  • CeliaZ - Sanctuary
    CeliaZ - Sanctuary Posts: 901 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Hey so i have a lvl 53 all water wiz. i just thought id look at forums while i patched up. I find this one really helpful (though its long and i didn't read past page 4). I just have a question: no one mentions anything about specializing in one element. My wiz is all water, save for my un-leveld beginning skills. I learns after dying about 8 times in 4 hours or less how to kite the hard way. My question is, what are the disadvantages to having an all-one-element wiz and 2: How the heck can i kill an archer?! Everything else i can hold my own at least (watch out for plume shot my clerics, ouch!) but i get ***** by archers.
    Thanks a lot, i dont forum much (kinda prefer to play). I gonna fix my built to med (mag 7 vit 2 str 1). i used to be pure but i got sick of losing health so fast. Also, about mage tanks- it's very possible (bring heals!!!!) and lots of fun ^^

All water? So what, you use..? Gush and Hailstorm???
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • lyphie
    lyphie Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    what kind of armor a pure magic should use?
    IGN: chaosed
    Race: _
    Class: _
    edited December 2009
    All water? So what, you use..? Gush and Hailstorm???

b:shocked
    lyphie wrote: »

um...the only armor type you can wear......arcane.
    b:surrender
    58% chance to get tokens
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Bux_Bragg - Heavens Tear
    Bux_Bragg - Heavens Tear Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    lyphie wrote: »
    b:shutupb:shocked
    OMG WTF BBQ. Dude, what armor do you THINK a pure mag should use? HA needs too much str, and LA too much dex... U work it out brainiac.
    Civic VTec... Mankind's greatest acchievement
  • zelock
    zelock Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    I have a question:

I dont know if i'm on the right track for being wizard

Here is some information:

Vit 45
    Maq 80
    Dex is 5
    strenth is 21

is this wrong ??? or can i save it
  • Kannone - Heavens Tear
    edited December 2009
    zelock wrote: »
    I have a question:

I dont know if i'm on the right track for being wizard

Here is some information:

Vit 45
    Maq 80
    Dex is 5
    strenth is 21

is this wrong ??? or can i save it

You're fine, make sure your base vit doesn't exceed 53 (you'll restat this later & it'll make sense); after that keep going 9mag:1str.
  • zelock
    zelock Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    You're fine, make sure your base vit doesn't exceed 53 (you'll restat this later & it'll make sense); after that keep going 9mag:1str.

So when i reset my skils do i need to fil vit again til 53 ?
  • Break_ - Heavens Tear
    Break_ - Heavens Tear Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Thanks for the guide b:bye
  • Himawary - Sanctuary
    Himawary - Sanctuary Posts: 76 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    I'm lvl 61 and I die often, most of my points go to mag and some to str for armor. Do i need to add more points to vit ? I die very fast b:cry
  • xxibatistaxx
    xxibatistaxx Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    hey but is there a way to get a good amount of life out of a wizard that has put nothing up but magic. im level 32 and have 112 magic and only 920 hp how can i get my hp up but still get enough magic to get new weapons what do you guys suggest

great guide by the way

maybe 8 magic 2 strength and 1 vit every 2 lvls eventually ul get moderate hp but slowly
  • xxibatistaxx
    edited January 2010
    nice guide emberstorm would be great if in taking out a huge heavy hitter in a tw especially the other sides strongest guy
  • xxibatistaxx
    edited January 2010
    Some notes... Phoenix knock back does not work in pvp, cept on veno' pets.

Emberstorm should be called suicide bomb, because thats what it is... with a long casting time and a penalty to your own hp... its horrible.

thats all I got right atm... tired..

in tw u can take out a huge heavy hitter on the other side
  • Lusca - Sanctuary
    Lusca - Sanctuary Posts: 754 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    nice guide emberstorm would be great if in taking out a huge heavy hitter in a tw especially the other sides strongest guy

lol the damage from emberstorm is horrible compared to your ultis
This discussion has been closed.