test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Official Feedback Thread: Hunter Ranger Changes

Comments

• caexarcaexar Member Posts: 355 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    umcjdking wrote: »
    You have something to mitigate damage, and quite possibly the most important aspect of PVP.

It's called superior range.

Apparently this must be combined with some of the best defense in the game, ridiculous self sustaining abilities and gear, the best mobility, and high damage output in order to be considered adequate. Go figure...
    Threat level 60 Guardian Fighter
    Gloom level 60 Control Wizard
    Dusk level 60 Trickster Rogue
    Dawn level 60 Devoted Cleric
    Eclipse level 60 Hunter Ranger
    Wrath level 60 Great Weapon Fighter
    Jinx level 60 Scourge Warlock
  • gentlemancrushgentlemancrush Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 445 Cryptic Developer
    edited July 2014
    Following internal testing we are making another adjustment to Aspect of the Lone Wolf. While it was too good before when granting base Damage Resistance, it isn't good enough in the current incarnation. Therefore we are making the following change as well to give it a little more "baseline" survivability that synergizes with things Rangers can do. This will also be coupled with some minor feat changes to make more choices feel good lower in some of the trees.

Hunter Ranger: Aspect of the Lone Wolf: Now also grants 5% deflect chance per rank at all times in addition to 2% per nearby foe.
    Fluid Hunter: Now grants .5/1/1.5/2/2.5 Deflect Chance (instead of 1/2/3/4/5% Deflect Rating).

These changes should hit this week barring anything going wrong.

Thank you all for your continued feedback!

Chris "Gentleman Crush" Meyer
  • nwnghostnwnghost Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I hope there is a cap to how many bonus % can be gained from nearby foes.
  • gentlemancrushgentlemancrush Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 445 Cryptic Developer
    edited July 2014
    nwnghost wrote: »
    I hope there is a cap to how many bonus % can be gained from nearby foes.

There is. It is 10% :)
  • caexarcaexar Member Posts: 355 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Any plans on possibly changing aspect of the serpent to be more user friendly crush?
    Threat level 60 Guardian Fighter
    Gloom level 60 Control Wizard
    Dusk level 60 Trickster Rogue
    Dawn level 60 Devoted Cleric
    Eclipse level 60 Hunter Ranger
    Wrath level 60 Great Weapon Fighter
    Jinx level 60 Scourge Warlock
  • futuunfutuun Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Hunter Ranger: Aspect of the Lone Wolf: Now also grants 5% deflect chance per rank at all times in addition to 2% per nearby foe.
    It means thats rank 3 gives us +15% deflect chance and +2% per nearby foe (up to 10%)?
    If yes it sounds good :)
    Fluid Hunter: Now grants .5/1/1.5/2/2.5 Deflect Chance (instead of 1/2/3/4/5% Deflect Rating).
    Nice.. maybe not that nice like 2/4/6/8/10% Deflect Chance on live server but still a lot better then Deflect Rating.
    I need to try this :)
    0LQASjV.png
  • stah01stah01 Member Posts: 540 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Id like to see the run speed bonus return instead of the life steal. Especially being combat it was a great way to help with survivability. Also I am not really seeing the connection between lifesteal and combat. Which also means you would probably need to slot dark enchantments since very little of our gear has lifesteal. Im a bit confused on the direction atm.
    GShBCGl.jpg
  • osterdracheosterdrache Member Posts: 480 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Good changes, Gentle!

And I wonder, what is ayroux even doing here? He even doesnt play an HR, does he?
    He is giving feedback based upon his individual and artificial opinion, trying hard to nerf HR into the ground. While he tries hard to maintain the gwf status… oh wait, whats his main class?? yeah… But I am very sure Gentle will realize this as well and see through this deception.
  • mehguy138mehguy138 Member Posts: 1,803 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Could you redesign life steal combat feats? IMO, rangers don't need even more healing, wild medicine will be pretty enough. I think we could use sorta utility combat feats like run speed, shorter cooldowns or more ap gain.
    M6 almost drains your soul given how boring it is. (c) joocycuzzzzzz
  • stah01stah01 Member Posts: 540 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    mehguy138 wrote: »
    Could you redesign life steal combat feats? IMO, rangers don't need even more healing, wild medicine will be pretty enough. I think we could use sorta utility combat feats like run speed, shorter cooldowns or more ap gain.

I mentioned this above. And in total agreement. Id like to know about why it has lifesteal and Id like to see the speed feat come back.
    GShBCGl.jpg
  • gabrieldourdengabrieldourden Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Any change to the Trapper feat tree expected?
    Le-Shan: HR level 80 (main)
    Born of Black Wind: SW Level 80
  • lirithiellirithiel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Thank you GC for listening! This feature will increase HR survivability across the board and not just for Combat in its previous incarnation. And peeps remember it has a 10% cap meaning up to 5 enemies to benefit - ayroux your 10 v 1 argument is invalid.
    Our pain is self chosen.

The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
  • ychiakiychiaki Member Posts: 123 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Class feature + feat + healing
    On live: 20-0%dmg resistance + 10% deflection = 25-5% dmg resistance + healing from pvp set (buffed with nature's blessing).
    On preview: 17-27% deflection = 8.5-13.5% dmg resistance + bigger chance to proc healing from pvp set and wild's medicine

It's a nerf in 1vs1 (needed) and a moderate buff against a group.
    DC Divine Oracle Faithful
    HR Stormwarden Trapper / Stormwarden Combat
    GWF Swordmaster Destroyer
    CW Master of Flame Thaumaturge / Spellstorm Oppressor
    TR Master Infiltrator Executioner
    SW Soulbinder Fury
  • thedemienthedemien Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Feed back on current changes on preview.

Combat is still weak. Wild meds stack up to 10 lasts like 2 sec - tested in dread ring - had to take like all area to agro on me to get enought atacks to cap WM to 10 at least once. Caused me 80% of health. Hr with all defensive specs - pathfinder, regen, deflect change in combat stance ~ 27% damage resistance ~29%. All boon into healing/defect/shields. So all the buss around - wd too much is nothing.

Also - Huge bug - dodge is broken now in live and still on preview.
    GWF can easily bring me back even if Im out of targeted zone. I really see cases when I walked/ dodge out of red zone even before it was even shown and still pulled back. nothing can escape gwf....any its encounters.. Only one close is gw shield bash or what they do. So point is - leaving HR with not cc breakers and borken dodge - feels like its gonna be a trash combat.

I hope there will be more changes that Cush wrote earlier. But still - now i don't notice work from Flurry at all with all hope Crush put into it. Need more damage -LS will not work without damage - dead hr deals no damage - no cc breakers, no dodge, nothing to escape.

About using Boars - in pvp I may be one of few who use it a lot - it was the only skill that could stop gwf in run and get him out ot rotation. If you have cc immune on GWF - trash skill. damage is decent but useless effect.

Constructing arrow - now useless as CC - even now in live in full profound and over 20% of tenancy - it does not work all the time. Having it 1 sec- is hilarious useless thing. Even now strong roots from Binding Arrow don't really stop anybody with tenancy gear. I have seen changes on preview -looks like strong roots now at least groung pve enemies. But 1-2 sec is useless. Unless you are trapper.

Good side - better health regen.
    Real problem now - combat now has no useful encounters. Having nerfed Wolf raises questions about usage of pathfinder action in rotation. Weak damage - borring play. All excitement -will i be able to regenerate enough health before new CC hits me to survive another round.

Trapper
    general - its is a great!. I like it. only in pve. and only alone. He is weak for group dungeons. Too much you need to switch stances to get some nice damage. means - going back and forward in atacks. Does not really work that way in group mostly.
    Constructing arrow is great. One notice - it says on enemies close- it means really close- like shoulder to shoulder - radius is too small for even groups of pve in shandatar or IWD.

Hindering shot - useless as it is now. Strike is kinda all right. Better then nothing because of Thorned Roots.

I could not really see any noticeable use of Biting Snares. 10 sec is too much. damage is still small to risk engaging into melee.

Good side - universal true HR.
    Bad side- so-so damage, nice CC, all low level class powers are useless since they either not have synergy with new path. Weak survivability - nerfed wolf, not 10% deflect in combat stance leads to most of the fight goes in distance.

I hope my word will give some good feedback. Basic problems - bugged dodge and nefred 'fixed' armor. No CC breakers to survive. Weak deflect and weak damage for combat with useless encounters. Weak and no cc breakers for Trapper.
  • rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Following internal testing we are making another adjustment to Aspect of the Lone Wolf. While it was too good before when granting base Damage Resistance, it isn't good enough in the current incarnation. Therefore we are making the following change as well to give it a little more "baseline" survivability that synergizes with things Rangers can do. This will also be coupled with some minor feat changes to make more choices feel good lower in some of the trees.

These changes should hit this week barring anything going wrong.

reached 40% deflect. tankiness more than fine. damage distribution is now 40% blade hurrican 40% piercing damage 10% carefull 10% encounters melee. To have this number it needed to abuse melee a certain set up of melee encounters and at will tho. otherwise damage still to low.

edit to be clear rain of sword procs flurry even with its tics for massive damage. dunno if its intended but it s the only way to actually do damages. In general the conditions to procs flurry are very few.
  • gennarovagennarova Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited July 2014

I think you destroyed the buff of Hunter ranger.
    Healing and buffing skills will be useless in Mod 4.
    For me it's better delete Melee talent and replace it with Nature ( a new talent Nature that buff healing and damage buff of hunter ranger)
    Or replace Trapper with Nature.
    In all cases, buff skills of hr have to be buffed ( or deleted ).
    Thanks and sorry for bad english.
  • osterdracheosterdrache Member Posts: 480 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Feedback Combat path
    Grasping Roots: without extra feated, three of our encounter powers become useless. The root is not even noticeable. While the cooldown of these powers is tremendous. Maybe nerf the extra feat duration in the trapper tree and buff the general duration a little?

Overall the new dmg buff on melee is nice but not that great. Melee HR feels like a DoT machine without any good burst, but thats ok. At least we have the piercing dmg. That dmg is essential for the melee path to do some dps.

Bug Boars Charge: I am not sure, and its on live as on preview: The animation after the charge is kinda clumsy and feels bugged. Like a one-second self root. Could the activation be smoother or faster?
  • jabsolumjabsolum Member Posts: 109 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Without Constricting Arrow working as it does on live, AotLW changed and no Incoming healing feat, this path is not viable in PVP. As soon as the Archer is controlled he is dead without any chance of escaping/surviving with the changes to control (CA)/defence (AotLW)/healing (Natures Blessing).

Please give the HR class a way to escape CC. My pick would be Marauders Escape because it is a utility skill already. Having this on our skill bar also means we have one less slot for a damage encounter (which seems resonable). Also it takes us out of range so we cant really break cc then go nuts on our target.

My understanding was that the 3 paths are supposed to be unique and allow us to play the HR how we want, but the truth is we will be forced to spec pure Melee or at least 3 tiers into Melee for PVP viability.

Also, for referance I have been playing an Archer Spec in PVP on live without the use of Constricting Arrow for the last couple of weeks to test what it is like with no CC and it is not viable at all.
    edited July 2014
    This path is fun to play but you are holding back way too much. If you want the trapper to be a controller then do it already! The roots mechanic is not an amazing form of control compared to other forms of control and can be implemented better. This class on preview is outshined by both the Archer and Melee in terms of survival and damage and his control is not on par or even close to other controllers. Two things I would suggest that could make this path better.

1. Give the Trapper a "Your At Wills have a 2/4/6/8/10% or higher chance to apply a weak grasping root your targets" type feat.

2. Let a trappers AOE skills eg. Thorn Ward, Split the Sky, Rain of Arrows etc. Apply weak grasping roots
    edited July 2014
    This path is getting better, I hope to see more changes based on feedback already given in prior posts by others.
  • marnivalmarnival Member Posts: 1,432 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Done some further testing on preview today.

1-1 Meele path is almost better then live but as soon as we face several opponents we die faster(not a bad thing imho)
    Trapper path is just not anything but a solo path nm what I feat/gear up with I still die fast in pve and cant reach any good dps in pve.
    Archery path need some serious aggro management (gf seem to do the job now) to be able to go full dps in pve but once that work the dam is very nice indeed but as said before its a death sentence to even try pvp with it.

Crush i hope you will read all these feedbacks and make some more changes for Trapper and Archery. I would switch to Trapper in a hearbeat if it just added something but its dead in the waters right now :-(...
  • isuuck2isuuck2 Member Posts: 491 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2014
    Stop deleting feedback
    FEEDBACK
    Hunter ranger using oak skin with their profound set and wild medicine leaves no class able to kill them except control wizard with assailant force.

please pay attention to pvp with a hunter ranger, if assailant force gets nerfed only hunter rangers wil be able to stalemate a hunter ranger. in 1v1. Please play attention to pvp balance.
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited July 2014
    isuuck2 wrote: »
    Stop deleting feedback

If your post does not follow the guidelines on the first page it does not belong in this thread.

Posts which do not follow those guidelines are not deleted but rather moved out of this thread. Discussions, debates and major game change suggestions are more then welcome but not in the official feedback threads.
    edited July 2014
    Yup. Archers and Trappers in PvE suffer the fact that we lost access to Nature´s Blessing and its 20% healing bonus and survivability is not that high.
    The impact on Trappers is higher as they are supposed to stay in melee roughly 50% of the time if they want to use Aspect of the Serpent to full extent (and that´s basically the only bonus to damage they have on top of thorned roots which is very low).
    In live Correcting Aim+Cruel Recover help Pathfinders´survivability if you can drop several powers that hit often on your enemies (like Rain of Arrows) but as Correcting Aim is gone, the crit rate has suffered and Cruel Recover is less effective for Trappers.
    edited July 2014
    Some more detailed feedback and suggestions about Trappers and PvE (without CC-breaks, self-healing or disabling CC they will anyway be weak in PvP 1:1)

Background: my understanding is that the Trapper is meant to be constantly switching between melee and range, controlling enemies via roots.
    Looking at our control powers in PvE there are basically only two strong root ones: Constrictive Arrow and Hindering Strike. Binding Arrow is a third one but it outdamages constrictive by 10% or less and can typically root only 1 enemy (2 if you´re lucky).
    Looking at DPS there are basically Four powers that deal reasonable DPS: Fox Shift, Aimed Shot, Rain of Arrows and Thorn Ward. Stormwarden can add Split the Sky and Pathfinder`s Careful Aim as these two powers are fire and forget (almost).
    As you can see there´s no overlap.
    I see most Trappers run with either Constricting/Hindering/Rain or Fox Shift/Hindering/Rain. Hindering seems better than Constricting as it lets you roots mobs ganging you and move away to avoid being taken down. Marauder´s could help in achieving the constant moved in and out of the fray, but it will compete against either Fox Shift or Rain of Arrows and I honestly don´t see anyone taking it over those, not to lose too much dps.

Fleet stance: I see where this is going. Root melee enemies and move out of melee range is the main idea. But honestly 10% max is underwhelming. It can barely be seen in a PvE fight. This feat should help in burning less root time when moving out of melee to get more time to shoot enemies with ranged stuff. 5 ranks should guarantee the chance to fire-off an extra power (in PvE) before roots expire (I´m talking of the 7 seconds roots). My suggestion would be to raise the cap to 30% for PvE (possibly reduced in PvP).

Readied stance: here I´m a bit lost. A trapper will most likely have this benefit up most of the time, but AP generation for a ranger is not a big issue normally. We often rotate 6 encounters so AP generation is usually quite fast and a 5% gain is not really perceivable. By the way in PvE we only have one daily worth using (Seismic Shot). Forest meditation is almost useless as mobs will kill us anyway if we stay in one place, Forest Ghost needs you to stand still in one place until the countdown starts and all enemies who are targeting us with area attacks will execute them on our location anyway even if we are disappearing. Disruptive is essentially a PvP power and the two top ones are a little bit underwhelming. Suggestion: give an option to tanky Trappers and let this feat give extra deflect or DR versus strong-rooted enemies say 5 to 25%. In PvP strong roots will be very short-lived (3.5 seconds reduced further by control bonuses and tenacity) so the bonus will apply only for very short time. The cap to Wild Medicine and the IC of the PvP should be more than enough to not get a deflect bonus exploited.

Deft Strikes: fine with this one. It has a synergy with Aspect of the Serpent and fits the class. I would probably up it a little bit as the real impact to DPS will be far lower than 10% but it´s not crucial.

Slasher´s Speed (for Pathfinders): AP generation is not a big issue as I said before and the extra-effect of Pathfinder´s action could be already covered by Fleet Stance. Suggestion: I would give some love to Ambush/Bear Trap with this feat as I almost never see any Pathfinder using them. Personally I would extend the Ambush effect to all party members in an increasing radius. That would be awesome.

Nature´s fury (for Stormwardens): give some love to them here too. Cold Steel Hurricane is never used today and it´s a daily. Suggestion: add a damage bonus to Cold Steel Hurricane and Electric Shot/Clear the Ground when attacking rooted enemies so that we can at-least start some rangers using these powers.

Ancient roots: a fantastic feat. Nothing to say here, it works wonders and is the base of the whole Trapper concept.

Swiftness of the Fox: very very difficult to judge it, but my feeling is that encounter rotation speed is quite similar to my live ranger with 5 ranks of this feat. I would leave it as it is.

Thorned roots: this is a bit underwhelming for a 4th-tier feat. To get here you basically have to forget going hybrid. It´s especially weak with Hindering Strike as our blades don´t have an high base damage. Suggestion: keep it for ranged attacks and increase it for melee ones and inflict full damage to CC-Immune enemies.

Serpent´s Bite: great one. No Trapper will run without Aspect of the Serpent. Suggestion:I would even increase the critical side of this feat to 1 to 5% as it does to damage.

Biting Snares: Trappers are gonna be less helpful in fights with CC-immune monsters where all their roots will not be effective. Suggestion: skip the AP generation part. Keep damage and change Thorned Roots so that they apply a debuff to CC-immune monsters when Master Trapper is active or do something else cool.
  • isuuck2isuuck2 Member Posts: 491 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2014
    FEEDBACK
    What about moving wild medicine to trappers tree? that would give trappers good surviving skills
  • marnivalmarnival Member Posts: 1,432 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    FEEDBACK
    What about moving wild medicine to trappers tree? that would give trappers good surviving skills

As a for anything that makes trappers path stronger its to me a good idea thats the only path that uses both meele and archery and should be the nr one path imho :-).
  • rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    marnival wrote: »
    As a for anything that makes trappers path stronger its to me a good idea thats the only path that uses both meele and archery and should be the nr one path imho :-).

all the hr community will just move where wild medicine is. it's not like we have alternatives.
  • thedemienthedemien Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    rayrdan wrote: »
    all the hr community will just move where wild medicine is. it's not like we have alternatives.

I d say all HRs that what to do any PVP will more to use wild medicine. WM will be alpha and omega for PVP hr after nerfing AofLW and no cc for archers and no damage for trappers.

I like the idea of giving Marauder's escape as CC breaker. Make a lot of sense for me -as it is being use mostly as escape now. No really need to have it CC breaker for melee version but still could nice.

Also apply weak grasping root for Trapper is very nice idea. It was before in Archer tree as Nature's grasp but I never seen anybody use it ever. Instead of any T1 trapper feet - we don't need AP generation for 5%. 10% move faster is nice but more if you are in melee.
    If you move Nature's grasp to T1 trapper - Im pretty sure that most of build will use it. Especially archers since they at least some CC.

Constrictive Arrow nerf is fatal for all except Trappers.
    edited July 2014
    Hey all, we are making a handful more changes to give Archery a little more PVE oomph without affecting PVP and better solidify Trapper as a Hybrid Control/Damage tree who is flexible. That and an icon fix. Yay!

Hunter Ranger: Predator: This effect now grants 40% increased damage but this effect is halved on players.
    Hunter Ranger: Trapper: Thorned Roots down deal 100/200/300/400/500% of your weapon damage over their duration (up from 50/100/150/200/250%).
    Hunter Ranger: Biting Snares: Biting snares now also increases your Control Durations by 30% while active.
    Hunter Ranger: Shift: Your shift power now shows the correct icon in the power window.