Install Arc
Options

Voltomey's Scourge Warlock Review

Comments

• Options
    gomok72gomok72 Member Posts: 616 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    mconosrep wrote: »
    So basically the consensus is that the SW will be clearly surpassed by the CW, the other arcane caster class, in both PvE and PvP? Sorry for perhaps seeming naive, but how is this acceptable to anyone planning to try to main a SW?

I will still take my new Warlock to cap, of course, but unless things change significantly I see absolutely no reason to bother gearing it up.

The problem is as people that have tested Warlock in PvP keeps stating, they are very easy to shut down in PvP against the seasoned classes in game. The instant cast abilities as Fury do hit hard and you can kite people with your soul puppet (Very funny to do), but if you get noticed usually 8-10 your going to die.

Dread theft which is one of your bread and butter skills in PvP can get interupted just by people putting roots and slows on you which makes it a worthless solo skill in my book. Survivabilty even as Temptation is lower than that of Control wizards just because again, their CC and damage output rotations are down to a science now by people that PvP.

While I would not say that Warlocks are a borked class in the PvP department, it's still a work in progress in improving by the developers.

On a note, I was not optimized and was still trying to figure out builds on preview and I still managed to rock some people with this class in PvP, but as I said, I used a good majority of hard hitting insta cast abilities along with Dread theft and GPF (which helped me a lot).

in my opinion, the worse class that made me wanna just take my hands off the keyboard and mouse when I engaged was Control wizards. Like Volt said, don't listen to naysayers and figure things out when this goes live.
    I may not be considered by most the BEST PVP Warlock on the server but, I am the most HATED amongst them.

-Kymos
  • Options
    voltomeyvoltomey Member Posts: 1,052 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2014
    gomok72 wrote: »
    The problem is as people that have tested Warlock in PvP keeps stating, they are very easy to shut down in PvP against the seasoned classes in game. The instant cast abilities as Fury do hit hard and you can kite people with your soul puppet (Very funny to do), but if you get noticed usually 8-10 your going to die.

Dread theft which is one of your bread and butter skills in PvP can get interupted just by people putting roots and slows on you which makes it a worthless solo skill in my book. Survivabilty even as Temptation is lower than that of Control wizards just because again, their CC and damage output rotations are down to a science now by people that PvP.

While I would not say that Warlocks are a borked class in the PvP department, it's still a work in progress in improving by the developers.

On a note, I was not optimized and was still trying to figure out builds on preview and I still managed to rock some people with this class in PvP, but as I said, I used a good majority of hard hitting insta cast abilities along with Dread theft and GPF (which helped me a lot).

in my opinion, the worse class that made me wanna just take my hands off the keyboard and mouse when I engaged was Control wizards. Like Volt said, don't listen to naysayers and figure things out when this goes live.

I used killing flames and warlocks for pvp in the damnation line funny thing about that soul puppet is when its left unattended the dmg it can do can wreck a player i only wish it snared on hit but the dot it applies is good enough but its AI Needs work.
    Gang Busters PvP Guild Recruiting When Mod 6 goes live Pm Me for more Info If you have any Paladin question Message Me and i will get back to you ASAP
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    asmodeus451asmodeus451 Member Posts: 257 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    a question: as far as leveling is concerned, which TYPE of companion would you recommend? A Defender or a Healer?
    Tenebris lux mea est
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    I made the mistack of taking the tardo wizard pet take healer or defender
    Gang Busters PvP Guild Recruiting When Mod 6 goes live Pm Me for more Info If you have any Paladin question Message Me and i will get back to you ASAP
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ucanthandleucanthandle Member Posts: 211 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Which build do you guys think will be the best for PvP?
  • Options
    silence1xsilence1x Member Posts: 1,503 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I took the defender (can't think of the name right now) - worked out well so far.
    I aim to misbehave
  • Options
    ripyourlipsoffripyourlipsoff Member Posts: 1,552 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I could just make a SW on preview, but It would be nice to see what each stat effects? I see your stat rolls and all but

Int ~
    Con ~
    Str ~
    Dex ~
    Cha ~
    Wis ~

What does each effect?
    Shieldbash 60 GF ~ Iron Vanguard 19.0k
    Overpowered 60 CW ~ Thaumaturge 14.5k
    ==========================================

~ GF Buffs were great we are much better, please fix the bugs now... Thank you!
  • Options
    bajornorbertbajornorbert Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 272 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I could just make a SW on preview, but It would be nice to see what each stat effects? I see your stat rolls and all but

Int ~
    Con ~
    Str ~
    Dex ~
    Cha ~
    Wis ~

What does each effect?

Strength
    1% Stamina Regeneration (or Guard Meter)
    1% DoT Damage Resist

Constitution
    1% Damage Bonus
    2% Maximum Hit Points

Dexterity
    1% AoE Damage Resist
    0.5% Deflection Chance

Intelligence
    1% Resistance Ignored
    1% Recharge Speed Increase

Wisdom
    1% Control Bonus
    1% Control Resist

Charisma
    1% Critical Chance
    1% Companion Stat Bonus
    1% Combat Advantage Damage
  • Options
    ripyourlipsoffripyourlipsoff Member Posts: 1,552 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Strength
    1% Stamina Regeneration (or Guard Meter)
    1% DoT Damage Resist

Constitution
    1% Damage Bonus
    2% Maximum Hit Points

Dexterity
    1% AoE Damage Resist
    0.5% Deflection Chance

Intelligence
    1% Resistance Ignored
    1% Recharge Speed Increase

Wisdom
    1% Control Bonus
    1% Control Resist

Charisma
    1% Critical Chance
    1% Companion Stat Bonus
    1% Combat Advantage Damage

Thank you very much

EDIT: so Con, Int, and Charisma are the go to stats then...
    Shieldbash 60 GF ~ Iron Vanguard 19.0k
    Overpowered 60 CW ~ Thaumaturge 14.5k
    ==========================================

~ GF Buffs were great we are much better, please fix the bugs now... Thank you!
  • Options
    blachertblachert Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Volt can you write down what skills are necessary to play Fury SW?
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    All the SW skills are good some prefer the insta cast some like to whittle down a target i like Killing flames along with Murder flames trait.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    stonewall72stonewall72 Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Has there been any recommended changes to the preferred weapon enchant? I saw the previous posts on this in this thread but was curious if anything has changed in this regard in the last few patches. I typically use a PF on my CW for PVE to assist the party. I have a standard PlagueFire, Vorpal and LifeDrinker freed up from my other toons to use on my SW. I am thinking about the Fury path or the Temptation path for more party assists. Is there any advantage to the LifeDrinker weapon enchant at this time? Seems it would have synergies with this class..? Thanks for any clarification on this and all the work you did on the guide...very helpful!
  • Options
    rabbinicusrabbinicus Member Posts: 1,822 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Has there been any recommended changes to the preferred weapon enchant? I saw the previous posts on this in this thread but was curious if anything has changed in this regard in the last few patches. I typically use a PF on my CW for PVE to assist the party. I have a standard PlagueFire, Vorpal and LifeDrinker freed up from my other toons to use on my SW. I am thinking about the Fury path or the Temptation path for more party assists. Is there any advantage to the LifeDrinker weapon enchant at this time? Seems it would have synergies with this class..? Thanks for any clarification on this and all the work you did on the guide...very helpful!

As of this latest release, looks like PF and Lightning are still the way to go. Lifedrinker sure is cool thematically... :)
    The right to command is earned through duty, the privilege of rank is service.

• Options
    snowundine1snowundine1 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    So is this the best way to distribute your feats (as Tiefling, so no +3 heroics from human)?:

Heroic Feats
    T1
    3/5: Energised Curse: Gain 30% more AP when attacking a cursed targets
    3/3: Weapon Mastery: Increase your crit chance by 3%
    3/3: Toughness: increase your max hp by 9%
    T2
    0/5: Shadow Fold: Shadow Slip Consumes 10% less stamina
    3/3: Empowered Rituals: Encounters deal 6% more dmg
    0/3: Battlewise: You create 6% less threat
    T3
    0/5: Determined Casting:Encounter Cooldowns Reduced by 10%
    0/3: Desperate restoration: When Under 30% Health Heals are 15% more effective on you
    3/3: Soul reaping: Your lifesteal stats is increased By 4.5 per your charcter lvl
    T4
    2/5: Blood Pact Of Cania:Increase the amount of bonus dmg Constitution gives by 5 %
    3/3: Devestating critical:Increase Critical Severity By 15%
    0/3: Scornful Curse:Increases the damage directly dealt by curse effects by 30%.

(Or is it better to max Energized Curse isntead of Toughness?)

Path:

5/5 Relentless Curse

Fury Path Feats
    T1
    5/5: Daughters Promises: when a target is killed you deal 100% of your weapon damg as necrotic damage to a target near the recently slain.
    5/5: Critical Promises: After a critical hit your nect attack will Deal 10% of your weapon dmg as necrotic dmg
    T2
    0/5: Offering To The Prisoner: When a cursed target is killed you damage is incresed by 5% for 15 seconds
    0/5: Gatekeepers Empowerment: Gates of hell now deals %5 more damag and generates 2% more AP for each target killed
    T3
    5/5: Killing Curse: When attacking a cursed target you deal a additinal 5% of your weapon dmg
    5/5: Executiners Gift: At-wills and encounter Powers deal up to an additinal 15% necrotic dmg as the targets health diminishes.
    T4
    0/5: Brutal Curse: you warlocks Curse Increases your dmg aginst affected targets by an additinal 10%
    5/5: Murderous Flames: Killing Flames deals 30% of its dmg to foes within 20 feet of the primary target.This damage is split equally among the affected targets.If there are no other targets the primary target takes all the dmg
    T5
    1/1: Creeping Death:When targets affected by your warlocks curse take necrotic dmg from you they are affected with creeping death. Creeping death deals 100% of the necrotic dmg over 8 seconds creeping death stacks.

Don't really see the other ones being that great
  • Options
    bajornorbertbajornorbert Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 272 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    For Heroics feats i would put only 1 point in Energised curse, 0 points in Soul reaping and 5 points in Determined casting.

Soul reaping will give you 270 life steal, which isn't worth 3 points, you can easily get enough Ls from armor/weapon sets and boons.

Energised curse is not worth it, since you only get extra AP for hitting cursed target, which in reality will mean that instead of let's say 6 encounters, you will need 5.5 to reach max AP, which is still 6, since you can't cast half an encounter :D. Only put 1 point on it since you need to put 1 point somewhere to unlock T3 and it's better than the alternatives. These kind of feats only worth taking for at-will spamming classes.

Determined casting while not the best feat, it's better than the alternatives, since faster cooldowns = more healing, more AP, more dmg, faster clear times.

That's my 2c.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Any way i am done for now this this guide and will be posting it in the new class form
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    For Heroics feats i would put only 1 point in Energised curse, 0 points in Soul reaping and 5 points in Determined casting.

Soul reaping will give you 270 life steal, which isn't worth 3 points, you can easily get enough Ls from armor/weapon sets and boons.

Energised curse is not worth it, since you only get extra AP for hitting cursed target, which in reality will mean that instead of let's say 6 encounters, you will need 5.5 to reach max AP, which is still 6, since you can't cast half an encounter :D. Only put 1 point on it since you need to put 1 point somewhere to unlock T3 and it's better than the alternatives. These kind of feats only worth taking for at-will spamming classes.

Determined casting while not the best feat, it's better than the alternatives, since faster cooldowns = more healing, more AP, more dmg, faster clear times.

That's my 2c.

Any amount of LS you can get without having to wast a artifact enchant or boon for getting is good Energizing curse while dose not synergies well with fury builds has amazing synergy with damnation Builds cause the curse puppet almost always places a curse on the target for you. Also warlock bargain has incredible synergy with it also if your using a fury build. All in All your heroic set up for SW will depends alot on what kinda of Build your going to run as some feats are good for some builds but suck for others
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Thanks Volt (and everyone else) for contributing this info.

Happy Warlocking to us all!
  • Options
    jazzfongjazzfong Member Posts: 1,079 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    <<< Temptation pvp supporter with GPF and G.Soul, anyone??
  • Options
    rabbinicusrabbinicus Member Posts: 1,822 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    jazzfong wrote: »
    <<< Temptation pvp supporter with GPF and G.Soul, anyone??

That's my plan, although I'll probably be using a regular soulforged as opposed to a greater.
    The right to command is earned through duty, the privilege of rank is service.

• Options
    edited August 2014
    i see they mad it so shadow slipping will not give you a epileptic seizure
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    elusiveonen7elusiveonen7 Member Posts: 190 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    voltomey wrote: »
    i see they mad it so shadow slipping will not give you a epileptic seizure

Sad to see it go really, now warlocks look like they are flying and it's visually boring.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Sad to see it go really, now warlocks look like they are flying and it's visually boring.

visually it looks the same it will not make the screen on your end look like a dubstep lightshow and i am glad
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    refracted0dawnrefracted0dawn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 894 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Warlocks have no stat that give an AP bonus?
  • Options
    tgnetblaisetgnetblaise Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    So whats better for lvling up Fury, Damnation, or Temptation? Also can you main/solo heal a dungeon/raid with Temptation? Also when should someone start start playing as a Fury? they don't have any cc so it seems like there bad at lvling...

Fury
    Damnation
    Temptation
  • Options
    brishenbrishen Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Great stuff, thanks! I didn't see any write-up on damnation though, mainly just Fury. Did I miss it somehow, or are you doing it some other time in the future?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    What does it mean by curse effects with the scornful curse feat? Not an actual buff to curse itself?
  • Options
    dragosani84dragosani84 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 84
    edited August 2014
    Thank you for this guide Voltomey :D Your CW guide has been a must have for me along with so many other players who play the CW class and it's probably the only guide I've reread dozens of times. I appreciate all the work and effort you put into it. Thank you so much :D
  • Options
    lordoadumbratelordoadumbrate Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I am extremely grateful for the guide you have create voltomey as it takes out the guess work (and waste of diamonds/zen on having to completely respec my character if I made a mistake on the live server since I have no clue on how to get on the preview and have been to lazy to look up how to do so).

I do have a question, which is if Energised Curse is worth the feat points? I am asking since I am making a warlock and am wondering whether or not you know if this feat is like the rogue's Action Advantage which worked off a multiplicative basis...If it doesn't stack like the rogue's Action Advantage then I will have to think about taking it.

Also, by any chance voltomey could you make maybe a suggestion for what feats a Teifling should take as well as what final ability score should be to get the most out of each path? I am wanting to make a Fury warlock since my other DPSer is a rogue and well, Cryptic just isn't showing as much love to Rogues nowdays. If I had an idea on what ab scores should be, that would help me out a lot. Again Thanks for the Guide!
  • Options
    lordoadumbratelordoadumbrate Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    An important question just occurred to me, does our curse mechanic work on bosses? Because if it does, then I think that would give credence to using the harrowstorm and Tryannical Threat combo...Simply put, use the daily, throw the curse on the boss and two other mobs that are all grouped together and then harrowstorm...The only problem would be that this probably would agro everything on you but if you kill off the mobs and do a decent amount of damage to a boss, then it would be worth it...Especially if you have a GF with you that could move agro to him/her.