test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Voltomey's Scourge Warlock Review

Comments

• charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    the vorpal gave you too much damage(its bug anyway) and now fix it.
    go in preview and test your vorpal ;)
    No rumors!
    I'm happy for everything hit you can do to be non critical with too much damage.
    Did the testing, vorpal has no change from live to preview. It being best or not for a SW not withstanding, there has been no nerf to vorpal.
  • mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    voltomey wrote: »
    yes lightning still tops out

So you feel that Lightning is better than a Lifedrinker or does this vary with oaths? Personally I hope Lifedrinker is the best as it just feels so thematically suitable for a Warlock.
  • voltomeyvoltomey Member Posts: 1,052 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2014
    In my opinion in certain builds lightning will top out DPS in PvE only PvP is a def story
    Gang Busters PvP Guild Recruiting When Mod 6 goes live Pm Me for more Info If you have any Paladin question Message Me and i will get back to you ASAP
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2014
    In my opinion in certain builds lightning will top out DPS in PvE only PvP is a def story

Thanks voltomey. But is Lightning noticeably better than Lifedrinker or just marginally?

Because I would like to go with Lifedrinker as it seems to fit the Warlock class so well, but am hesitant to do so if there is a going to be a significant difference in DPS.
  • atreiyatreiy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 7
    edited August 2014
    Hello Voltomey; i'm going for a Damnation build:
    -Do u think lightning is the best here?
    -For companions: the brain and the dogs for advantage in fights.Lightfoot thief for dmg;a ioun stone and i dont know for the last one.(any idea?^^)
    -Artifacts: Beholder,thayan and kessel ?
    -Wich armor set would be the best? (do u think t2 sets 4/4 bonus is better than overloard slots on new stuf and black ice for my damnation build?)
    -finally :The race is hard to choose ; some advice for the damnation ?
    Thanks for your time; have a nice day guys!
    edited August 2014
    The thing is Lifedrinker i only find it good on fury builds cause its interacts with the capstone very well for any other build i would use lightning for the arcing and combine it with tyrannical threat lightning for fury is also good because your fury feats will turn any dmg you do into partial necrotic dmg.
    Gang Busters PvP Guild Recruiting When Mod 6 goes live Pm Me for more Info If you have any Paladin question Message Me and i will get back to you ASAP
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2014
    The thing is Lifedrinker i only find it good on fury builds cause its interacts with the capstone very well for any other build i would use lightning for the arcing and combine it with tyrannical threat lightning for fury is also good because your fury feats will turn any dmg you do into partial necrotic dmg.

Thanks for the detailed explanation Voltomey :)

So it appears that Lifedrinker is only really good for Fury, whereas Lightning is good for Fury and better for the two other paths. I would have really liked to make a Lifedrinker Warlock, but will probably play it safe and just use Lightning instead.
    edited August 2014
    mconosrep wrote: »
    Thanks for the detailed explanation Voltomey :)

So it appears that Lifedrinker is only really good for Fury, whereas Lightning is good for Fury and better for the two other paths. I would have really liked to make a Lifedrinker Warlock, but will probably play it safe and just use Lightning instead.

You can use life drinker but it works better for fury warlocks cause of the capstone If you want use lightning PF or vorple for the other paths just my opinion though so dont take it to heart
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    You can use life drinker but it works better for fury warlocks cause of the capstone If you want use lightning PF or vorple for the other paths just my opinion though so dont take it to heart

I thought I had seen reports that necrotic damage from weapon enchants no longer proc the fury capstone.
  • anzrielanzriel Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Yeah, I think so. It's only necrotic damage from the warlock itself. Although with the number of feats that bring necrotic damage, I'm not sure they'd be optimal anyway.
  • gomok72gomok72 Member Posts: 616 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Update on these enchants and this is a updated as of 8/9/2014.
    For best in slot dps for SW as Fury currently for pvp is GPF and Vorpal enchant (hands down).
    For best in slot maximized dps PvE it's lightning and GPF and this, again is Fury.

For damnation Warlocks for pvp again, I am finding that Vorpal and greater plague fire give me quicker kills.
    For pve Vorpal and GPF gave me a better overall consistent damage than any of the other enchants.

Life drinker was garbage!

I'm playing a Drow Warlock with a gear score of about 14.5k (tried getting in profound set before live, but not gonna happen).

Overall, I still think they got some buffing and tweaking with this class (my main is a a CW and in comparison this class feels weaker to me in pvp). Will have to wait and see how they do in a group setting, since my pvp duels are mostly with top tiered folks who beat the **** out of you when you fight them.
    I may not be considered by most the BEST PVP Warlock on the server but, I am the most HATED amongst them.

-Kymos
    edited August 2014
    gomok72 wrote: »
    Update on these enchants and this is a update.
    For best in slot dps for SW as Fury currently for pvp is GPF and Vorpal enchant (hands down).
    For best in slot maximized dps PvE it's lightning and GPF and this, again is Fury.

For damnation Warlocks for pvp again, I am finding that Vorpal and greater plague fire give me quicker kills.
    For pve Vorpal and GPF gave me a better overall consistent damage than any of the other enchants.

Life drinker was garbage!

I'm playing a Drow Warlock with a gear score of about 14.5k (tried getting in profound set before live, but not gonna happen).

Overall, I still think they got some buffing and tweaking with this class (my main is a a CW and in comparison this class feels weaker to me in pvp). Will have to wait and see how they do in a group setting, since my pvp duels are mostly with top tiered folks who beat the **** out of you when you fight them.

Note: Perfect Lightning dose 20% weapon damage and has the highest burst percentage of all weapon enchantment. Unlike vorple it dose not require you stack a loads of crit to make it work effectively.I would still use it for DPS over vorple in PvP just to hit stealth targets
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jazzfongjazzfong Member Posts: 1,079 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Note: Perfect Lightning dose 20% weapon damage and has the highest burst percentage of all weapon enchantment. Unlike vorple it dose not require you stack a loads of crit to make it work effectively.I would still use it for DPS over vorple in PvP just to hit stealth targets

I am disagreeing with using any weapon enchant without second or third weapon damage for pvp warlock. The secondary effect of Hellish Rebuke can deal a good sum of damage with dual/tri weapon damage enchant like bilethorn, plaguefire and flaming as the bugged HB will not deal primary weapon damage to the target. I prefer GPF as the the BIS enchant as the other high burst WD enchant like lightning will only deal 0 primary weapon damage to our target thus wasting too much damaging potential in this way.

Lifedrinker can be considered if u are mad for blood, but i think GPF works better in every aspect in pvp.
  • azyrnazyrn Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    With the starting stat change they slipped in, will your picks for race change? Looks like we now get CHA as the main stat with CON and INT as the secondary.
    edited August 2014
    azyrn wrote: »
    With the starting stat change they slipped in, will your picks for race change? Looks like we now get CHA as the main stat with CON and INT as the secondary.

I am very far from being an expert on this, but I can't see how this affects the top two choices of Race for PvE being Tiefling and Human.
    edited August 2014
    I am very far from being an expert on this, but I can't see how this affects the top two choices of Race for PvE being Tiefling and Human.

It only reinforces more clearly to pick human dragonborn or Tiefling sense basically with this change they got a dps boost
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2014

Well, messing on the stat generator you end up with a 12 or 13 INT unless you drop on of the other stats lower. INT was the recharge speed and armor pen stat. Unless I am mistaken, there is not much that gives us recovery, so having it the main stat to start it out high helped curve some of that for me at least. Now, with a 12 or 13, I have seen a 16 with the other stats around the same, we will need even more recovery to have that same recharge rate.

Perhaps I am just over thinking the entire area of stats as I do not crunch numbers very well, but I do see myself rethinking starting rolls and itemization.
    edited August 2014
    It only reinforces more clearly to pick human dragonborn or Tiefling sense basically with this change they got a dps boost

I am not sure Volt, I am seeing some really weird rolls on the preview server. I wish I could get a screen shot to work on the stats I have right now, with a 10 in a secondary stat...

testing a screen shot insert
    Stat_roll.png
  • iambecks1iambecks1 Member Posts: 4,044 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    oops wrong thread/
    YourSecretsAreOurSecrets.gif
    edited August 2014
    azyrn wrote: »
    I am not sure Volt, I am seeing some really weird rolls on the preview server. I wish I could get a screen shot to work on the stats I have right now, with a 10 in a secondary stat...

testing a screen shot insert
    Stat_roll.png

I am sorry but what the dose this screen shot prove tell me plz if any thing its a bug tiefling human dragonborn and now half elves are the best possible race choices for this class cuase three out of the 4 races add +2 Con and Chas and Humans can get the three extra feat points.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2014
    I am sorry but what the dose this screen shot prove tell me plz if any thing its a bug tiefling human dragonborn and now half elves are the best possible race choices for this class cuase three out of the 4 races add +2 Con and Chas and Humans can get the three extra feat points.

I guess I am just not sure that your original stat post is still there, as in I was having issues getting say the 18, 13, 13 roll etc. Perhaps I am just not looking at it correctly, but I was having issues getting what I thought was a good stat roll on the Tiefling.

I am going to go with the it is bugged approach and just wait for live to see how it works out. Thank you for your time on this guide as well as your Hunter guide. I have enjoyed them both.
    edited August 2014
    the stas rolls have changes go with a race that has a +2 in con cha and roll till you hit 18 con and 18 cha 12 int that way to have 24 24 14 for you lvl 60 thats 25 25 15 with campfire
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kolatmasterkolatmaster Member Posts: 3,111 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    What are the feat changes?
    va8Ru.gif
    edited August 2014
    they fixed dev crit
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kolatmasterkolatmaster Member Posts: 3,111 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    they fixed dev crit
    Well that's a good thing! :)
    va8Ru.gif
  • ripyourlipsoffripyourlipsoff Member Posts: 1,552 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I am excited to roll a Warlock, however it appears they will not be very good in PvP? I don't think I want to level up only to find out im GWF/ CW / HR bait!

Whats the consensus on SW pvp?
    Shieldbash 60 GF ~ Iron Vanguard 19.0k
    Overpowered 60 CW ~ Thaumaturge 14.5k
    ==========================================

~ GF Buffs were great we are much better, please fix the bugs now... Thank you!
    edited August 2014
    I am excited to roll a Warlock, however it appears they will not be very good in PvP? I don't think I want to level up only to find out im GWF/ CW / HR bait!

Whats the consensus on SW pvp?

To not listen to what every naysayer and their grandma tells you about how SW works in pvp cause they said the same thing about HR. For the amount of sheer dmg the class can pump out they will be a high target priority and for people who don't priorities them they will get ripped apart by the dps this class can output. You just have to come to the conclusion your gonna be a high priority target in pvp.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • twilightwatchmantwilightwatchman Member Posts: 2,007 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    To not listen to what every naysayer and their grandma tells you about how SW works in pvp cause they said the same thing about HR. For the amount of sheer dmg the class can pump out they will be a high target priority and for people who don't priorities them they will get ripped apart by the dps this class can output. You just have to come to the conclusion your gonna be a high priority target in pvp.
    The issue has never been about DPS but about survivability. An SW is easy to shut down and very squishy. CWs are going to be pumping out significant single-target DPS (even if they fix Storm Spell) and have greater survivability.
    Jenna Sunsoul - Justice Tankadin
    Aelar Hawkwind - Archer
    Karrin Feywinter - Mistress of Flame
    Errin Duskwalker - Executioner
    Darquess - Soulbinder
  • rabbinicusrabbinicus Member Posts: 1,822 Arc User
    edited August 2014

Pretty rough playing a temptation build in PvP so far. Does Fury do better?
    The right to command is earned through duty, the privilege of rank is service.

edited August 2014
    The issue has never been about DPS but about survivability. An SW is easy to shut down and very squishy. CWs are going to be pumping out significant single-target DPS (even if they fix Storm Spell) and have greater survivability.

So basically the consensus is that the SW will be clearly surpassed by the CW, the other arcane caster class, in both PvE and PvP? Sorry for perhaps seeming naive, but how is this acceptable to anyone planning to try to main a SW?

I will still take my new Warlock to cap, of course, but unless things change significantly I see absolutely no reason to bother gearing it up.