What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[Feedback] Black Ice Equipment Drop Rate

Comments

• loboguildloboguild Member Posts: 2,371 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    pointsman wrote: »
    Not true.

Personally I haven't gotten squat from the Epic Encounters. Mainly because (I think) that they are swarmed with people and my individual contribution is therefore so diluted.

I have only gotten the gloves and mainhand from Major Encounters.

Again: You CAN get to the 180 bracket and a chance for a purple with Major Encounters, but you need to finish Top2 (maybe 3), which is all but guaranteed unless you are actually soloing the encounter or with a partner. The danger to fall into the 75 BI bracket is just not worth the time investment.

Your are late -> 75 BI
    Your start the encounter alone, place gets crowded rather fast -> 75 BI

You only take part in the third phase of Beholder -> 180 BI
    You only take part in the last phase of Remo -> 180 BI
    You miss all but the boss from Raiders -> 180 BI

These are only basic examples why, given that you want to farm for BI gear, it only makes sense to do the Major encounters if you can rule out some unfavorable factors.
  • loboguildloboguild Member Posts: 2,371 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    pointsman wrote: »
    That is why you show up first and you pick the encounters that have defined tasks (i.e., free prospectors) and then PERFORM THE TASKS. If you go to one of the out-of-the-way Major HE's, so that it takes a while for everyone sitting at the campfire to get there, and you clear a lot of the first wave yourself enough so that you can free maybe 3 or 4 of the prospectors, you have already made a big contribution to the success of the encounter. Then even if a lot more people show up towards the end, you stand a good chance of finishing at the top because of your very large early contributions.

Yes, but you need these circumstances. I get my 180 BI any time I am able to solo the first wave. Sure. But that's not a given. I have my HEs that I know have a decent chance that only 2-3 more will show up eventually and, if it would come to that, I could also solo in time.

You might have gotten your gear from Major ones, but it's not about the type of HEs, only about how to get into that bracket. People go for Epic HEs because it's much easier to earn a chance for purple stuff.
  • pointsmanpointsman Member Posts: 2,327 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    loboguild wrote: »
    Again: You CAN get to the 180 bracket and a chance for a purple with Major Encounters, but you need to finish Top2 (maybe 3), which is all but guaranteed unless you are actually soloing the encounter or with a partner. The danger to fall into the 75 BI bracket is just not worth the time investment.

Your are late -> 75 BI
    Your start the encounter alone, place gets crowded rather fast -> 75 BI

You only take part in the third phase of Beholder -> 180 BI
    You only take part in the last phase of Remo -> 180 BI
    You miss all but the boss from Raiders -> 180 BI

These are only basic examples why, given that you want to farm for BI gear, it only makes sense to do the Major encounters if you can rule out some unfavorable factors.

180 BI in Epic HE is not the top tier. I believe the top tier in an Epic HE is about 225 BI.

I don't know man, do what you want, I'm only telling you what has worked for me.
  • l3g10nna1rel3g10nna1re Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 372 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    So total for today 4 hours work 22 runs done which brings my Total 342 runs

1: Beholder
    2: Remo
    3: Raiders
    4: Prospectors

And still the devs are silent are we going to get a review and fix for this Fcuked up system ? or just letting players do or dont do it until you get your fingers out and help us ? RNG is not working correctly not sure how much more OBVIOUS we have to make this to the devs im almost at the point I want to raise complaint on how useless the Devs/Producers are here We have reported the issue so many times an yet nothing gets done ? how in anyway is this acceptable
  • solveig312solveig312 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    What is wrong with TR BI MH I have done like dozen on BEHOs and nothing and my friends who plays other calsses got it on 1st or 5th run? How many times do i have to kill him? Is there any tactic to 100% drop success?
  • vader6139vader6139 Member Posts: 79 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    You haven't read much in these forums I'm guessing.

This is an issue for everyone and every class, not just TR. Drop rates are seriously bugged/nerfed. Not sure if it was planned by Cryptic or not but it is a serous issue.
  • nallifnallif Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Got the main hand on my TR a couple of weeks ago after lots of trying. Showed up at Beholder first, broke the ice, attacked the Beholder as much as possible. I did very little damage to the adds when the Beholder was unattackable.

Only advice I can give is keep trying and show up early.
  • solveig312solveig312 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Ok so it just seems that only way to get it is farm farm farm farm... But is it rly worth? i mean is the set dmg chance high and fallen/fomorian weaps aren't better?
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    If you already have the Fallen or Fomorian set, probably don't bother, or only try to get BI stuff when it's convenient for you.

I think actual hardcore farming is overrated. I doubt people who've spent hours and days hopping instance to instance arriving late at hundreds of these encounters have a better success rate than people like me who just do a couple when it's convenient because they were running their quests anyway (BI MH on one TR and gloves on another).

I think it does help to learn to recognize a map with a good possibility of popping an epic encounter soon though. As soon as you zone in, open your map and look at what's going on and how long those timers are running. Are any of them in locations that can also spawn epics? Are locations that can spawn epics currently free? How long are your quests going to take and do you feel like doing other encounters to kill time and get some turnover going? It can help you make an informed decision as to whether you should try your luck at zoning out and back in a few times or not. And sometimes you might finish your quests and go turn in without seeing an encounter you wanted, and if you can just be ok with that, you'll be a happier gamer.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • jrfbrunetjrfbrunet Member Posts: 388 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    vader6139 wrote: »
    You haven't read much in these forums I'm guessing.

This is an issue for everyone and every class, not just TR. Drop rates are seriously bugged/nerfed. Not sure if it was planned by Cryptic or not but it is a serous issue.

It was established last week on these forums that there is a bug with the chest drops/RNG and that they will be working on a fix after mod4 is released. Any farming between now and then is insanity.
    Where'd my blinky-blinky path go?
  • labmonster21labmonster21 Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    jrfbrunet wrote: »
    It was established last week on these forums that there is a bug with the chest drops/RNG and that they will be working on a fix after mod4 is released. Any farming between now and then is insanity.

Could you be so kind to post a link to the forum discussion on rng/ bugged drops. Thanks.
  • doriangreighdoriangreigh Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 707 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I have a posted a few times on this topic ... let me say again I have a CW and just last night I just got another MH for him doing a major encounter in DV, it was the dwarven invasion closest to the entrance near the entrance to the PVP zone. I was shocked really, I was just running around doing encounters to really just farm for Black Ice and their Enchantments as I had been getting a lot of enchantment drops from Heroic mobs (made my first R9 using them recently).

I can get "great success" rather easily from just about any heroics just but using shard, ST, IT and CS on tab and OF daily. I run around in my High Vizier set and black ice accessories (purified set for the extra healing). I don't get great success all the time but often ... I can't do that on any of my other characters because frankly when CW's come in and other classes use their stuns prones etc my GF just can't get hit enough to qualify for the 180 ice reward drops ... obviously a GF can't even remotely do the damage that an AoE CW can or even what a GWF can so I find my GF only able to get the drops from the beholder and remorhaz because those are the only ones I can take enough damage on to get where I need to be.

Despite their improvements over how you get into the reward tier ... I personally think GF's are left swinging in the wind unless you are running around with a small group that is actually helping you word towards getting your gear, which thus far it seems to be everyone for themselves be it in a group or not.

I will also say I have a GWF and find it easier to get high end rewards on my CW than even my GWF, my GWF just can last longer doing things solo than my other toons.

I don't farm much with my DC but I seem to do things pretty easy just sitting back and using heal powers (AS, FMF and Bastion of Health). The only damage I do as a DC is from sacred flame when i'm building divine power lol.
  • jrfbrunetjrfbrunet Member Posts: 388 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Could you be so kind to post a link to the forum discussion on rng/ bugged drops. Thanks.

currently on dev tracker: http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/devtracker.php?page=5
    don't remember the name of the original thread, but it was about the dungeon chest bug

akromatik
    Community Manager

Hey guys,

Had a pow-wow with some of the parties looking into this. They are aware of this issue and are working on it. Things are a bit hectic with M4's launch getting closer and closer, but I'll keep on them about this. Unfortunately, I have no concrete ETA on a fix at this time.
    Where'd my blinky-blinky path go?
  • dyesleedyeslee Member Posts: 307 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I have also decided to stop farming for my main hand on my HR. I instead focused on creating the Fallen Dragon MH (the Longbow) which was much easier to farm / purchase the parts needed for it.. not to mention the overall damage and stat's are better then the IWD bow / blades set except for the added tenacity.. I don't PVP so I wasnt worried about that..

It only took me approximately 2-3 weeks to steadily level up my Weaponsmithing doing the mass gathering / curing every 7-8 hours when time permitted. less painful and definately cost alot less then taking constant deaths from Epic Encounters that failed to drop/reward my bow there..
    During the time of leveling up my weaponsmithing, I did consistent VT 1/2 -2/2's to gather the materials needed and AH'd greed dropped epic items for the AD to purchase as well.. it cost me a total of 200-250Kish AD to make my bow..

It's just an alternate idea for many of you who have been frustrated of not receiving your MH from IWD... some of our guildmates have decided to do the same thing as welll finding it less painful and less aggravating then dealing with the IWD Epic Enc. Bug...

Since Mod 4 DoT is just around the corner, I am not sure of what will become available at that time, but I am looking forward to it and hope we wont be dealing with the same drop rate issues with any new Mod 4 gear, items, content that we have had to suffer with Mod 3. Good luck to you all
    5790248SLdyC.png
  • bajancloakbajancloak Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Grind, grind, grind.

It took me forever to get the gloves/bracers. I read the forums. I Zerged, started first when I could. Started to see the great success more and more often along with epic profession gear. The day I got to level 3 black ice shaping I started the mother lode did a ton of damage (I am a GWF) and low and behold the bracers dropped.

Now my damm main hand took even longer. I gave up trying to get to the beholder first as it was about two weeks before I managed to be on the map when that popped and even then I lagged out at my first chance on it.

But I faithfully followed the system for the other HE. (Zerg, start first etc) I even met a player who said he got his Main Hand on Icewind dale pass so I tried the Zerging their as wll.

Then over the last weekend I was nearby when the undead attack popped in the DW at the bottom of the map. Now each time I have started this in the past I usually am alone and get killed in the end as no one ever came to assist me in time.

This time around I managed to kill the first group of 5 then was half way though the second group of 5 before help started to trickle in. By the end of it I did a ton damage, got the great success and the main weapon finally dropped.

Overall I would say it took me about 4 to 6 weeks of grinding. I felt like giving up many times but I stuck with it. I have a CW friend who got this main weapon very early but hasn't gotten the gloves yet.

Everyone is different. The RNG gods smile on some and kick others. Its very frustrating to read how easy and fast others get theirs and on their first try when others have to grind and grind but that's life I guess.

Don't give up. Keep trying. Zerg, get their early and do as much damage/healing as you can.
  • dragoness10dragoness10 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 780 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I do not grind nor farm.

I do the heroic encounters casually, and some days I miss out on Icewind as I am busy helping guildies instead run other dailies, and dungeons.

I got my 4th pair of gloves last week.

It could be some people trying to grind/farm are hitting the encounters too fast one right after the other, and instead of chasing them avidly it's better to just go mucking about. There's been no part for me doing top damage, or dying the least, or most potions chugged. Maybe there's a part of the script that only fires off the chance to get them, and needs to reset for you between the encounters? Maybe it's better to not swarm the heroic encounters with 30 people, but go in smaller groups of 7-12?

They do drop.

I'm not sure if these theories can be proven, or if the coding includes them.
    " I tried to figure out the enigma that was you, and then I realized mastering Wild Magic was easier." - Old Wizard in Waterdeep

"Why is it dragons only use ketchup? I'd like a little wasabi please. Us silvers like a variety of condiments."

"Don't call them foolish mortals. One, they don't learn from it. Two, It just ticks them off." - An Ancient Red Dragon
  • l3g10nna1rel3g10nna1re Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 372 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    jrfbrunet wrote: »
    currently on dev tracker: http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/devtracker.php?page=5
    don't remember the name of the original thread, but it was about the dungeon chest bug

akromatik
    Community Manager

Hey guys,

Had a pow-wow with some of the parties looking into this. They are aware of this issue and are working on it. Things are a bit hectic with M4's launch getting closer and closer, but I'll keep on them about this. Unfortunately, I have no concrete ETA on a fix at this time.

Well I Offically give up until this is sorted Worked my Butt off to get these items from IWD before Module 4 and I have failed :(

No MAin weapon / No gloves
    48 Days or IWD on my GF
    578 runs In total

- Beholder 400
    - Remo - 71
    - Prospectors 54
    - Raiders = 53

RNG is not working as it should and yet the devs/producers are silent They have ignored so many calls for help in favour of Module 4

Are we going to get this fixed in Module 4 or are the devs content with Turning NW into Hell ?

As for the "Theories"

Tried only Doing 1 HE only for 3 days
    Tried leaving 4 hours between The Same HE
    Tried Making sure i keep away from Small ones and not running through them
    Tried Doing Medium's * haven't Included them Yetis/Wolfs/Motherload etc
    Tried not dying once, Tried dying many times, Tried tanking it for the Full Encounter
    * I always get 180 BI indicating i did Well and the useless green blue items
    * two times i got Purples was for a CW Robe and a GWF Sword not.
    The RNG is just to low to be of any use.
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited August 2014
    Every week the Community Team compiles feedback...

And the drop rate of black ice gear is something we have brought up quite a few times. As always it comes down to finding the time to look into the situation. You can see my rant on page one...I hate this hoopla as much as you...but there are only so many developers and so many hours in a day so it does take time to address every concern.
  • charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Every week the Community Team compiles feedback...

And the drop rate of black ice gear is something we have brought up quite a few times. As always it comes down to finding the time to look into the situation. You can see my rant on page one...I hate this hoopla as much as you...but there are only so many developers and so many hours in a day so it does take time to address every concern.

Well the pressure for mod4 should be off right now, which in other games I've played means that there is a few weeks where they seem to concentrate on bug fixes and adjustments before going full out on the next mod. Hopefully that can happen here.
  • thestaggythestaggy Member Posts: 1,102 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2014
    I've come to the conclusion that GFs and DCs are getting knobbed in IWD.

My GWF once again got a reward from IWD and he has only been doing Major HEs for two weeks. Not a Black Ice piece this time, but a HRs Hammerstone Hood that netted me 53k after tax. So, in two weeks he has received Black Ice gloves and 53k AD worth of loot. My GF? Two months in IWD and NOTHING. He has 4/6 Purified pieces, all charged and enchanted, just waiting for the bloody gloves or mainhand to drop. I haven't even received a purple asset since the first week of Mod 3! Just useless potions. There is still bias towards damage output as far as I am concerned.

For the love of god, please let me buy these items from a vendor. I do not have the time to stay in IWD anymore with the new mod arriving. Aimlessly riding to-and-fro in IWD followed by chasing dragons is not an appealing prospect. I should've been done with Mod 3 by now. It is stupid holding me back with a silly RNG.
    PSA: You don't need to grind Spinward Rise for your Elemental artifact main hand if you have some AD lying around. You can craft it via the Tyranny of Dragon's campaign screen.
  • bensansbensans Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I feel I must share my frustration also. Your chances of dropping something "useful" (i.e. piece useful specifically to you) should slowly creep up as you complete encounters. It does not have to be deterministic but it should reward faithful participation over time. Funny story, I had entiretly given up on black ice gloves and IcewindDale in general as I had pretty much completed everything else meaningful there, but just on a whim I did a few more encounters before going to bed and then, twice in a row, gloves!!! My feelings were a strange mixture of wonder and annoyance. Things should not be THAT arbitrary. I do not think I did anything special to get them either. I am not particularly good at this game (get creamed sooooooooo bad in PvP against anything stronger than a hamster, regardless of equipment rating) and do not understand at all how to tune my equipment (too many different stats for me to understand what is a better optimization). I rarely get "Great Successs". I usually am just happy to piggy-back on other people completing the encounters and lending my meak but enthousiastic help :) Hope they tweak the drop rules a bit to reward people who put honest effort and hours into it!
  • roningear450roningear450 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I feel bad, I got bracers on my HR in 2 days, the day that I got them i was on the phone playing with 1 hand when I got my bracers. Casually walked into a prospectors and held right click while talking (aimed shot) and what do you know..bracers.

You Don't know the half of it... I was walking through Ice wind pass doing my dailies when remo came up, I got there with about a min to spare and shot 3-8 aimed shots and presto I got my bracers. I finished my dailies in IW-Pass and jumped over to Dwarven valley and beholder was up, i got there and the boss had less then 1/6 HP (couple aimed shots and presto I had my main hand.
    Max time between getting both main hand and bracers 20 mins!!!

My HR has less then 200 reputation in IWD...
    My DC has had 350 rep since the earlyest possible time and still no bracers or main hand....

I feel your guys pain becuase it's really messed up.
  • krieg69krieg69 Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I will be very careful in the next (and all future) mod before collecting things that have a random luck BS drop like IWD.

"Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me." - Montgomery Scott
  • masizin777masizin777 Member Posts: 181 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    It is a broken drop rate let's leave it at that.
  • thestaggythestaggy Member Posts: 1,102 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2014
    thestaggy wrote: »
    I've come to the conclusion that GFs and DCs are getting knobbed in IWD.

My GWF once again got a reward from IWD and he has only been doing Major HEs for two weeks. Not a Black Ice piece this time, but a HRs Hammerstone Hood that netted me 53k after tax. So, in two weeks he has received Black Ice gloves and 53k AD worth of loot. My GF? Two months in IWD and NOTHING. He has 4/6 Purified pieces, all charged and enchanted, just waiting for the bloody gloves or mainhand to drop. I haven't even received a purple asset since the first week of Mod 3! Just useless potions. There is still bias towards damage output as far as I am concerned.

For the love of god, please let me buy these items from a vendor. I do not have the time to stay in IWD anymore with the new mod arriving. Aimlessly riding to-and-fro in IWD followed by chasing dragons is not an appealing prospect. I should've been done with Mod 3 by now. It is stupid holding me back with a silly RNG.

To further reaffirm my beliefs;

Last night I took my GF and GWF through IWD again. GF does 4 Majors and as usual gets nothing. Full aggro build, tons of damage taken. I was TAB-marking everything to me, Enforced Threat plus Enhanced Mark. My GWF's turn. Ice Troll invasion in Dwarven Valley. Guess what? Black Ice mainhand. . .

So, my GWF has spent a fourth of the time my GF has spent grinding HEs and he has recived the mainhand and the arms while my GF still has nothing.

I will officially conclude that the drops are heavily biased towards DPS and I do not care what Cryptic says about the drops being reworked to take into account damage taken. I will also officially state that I am done with IWD on my GF. GG.
    PSA: You don't need to grind Spinward Rise for your Elemental artifact main hand if you have some AD lying around. You can craft it via the Tyranny of Dragon's campaign screen.