test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[Feedback] Black Ice Equipment Drop Rate

Comments

• ripyourlipsoffripyourlipsoff Member Posts: 1,552 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Well, statistics are always fair. Il you have a 1/1000 drop rate and then 10 000 people join in, you'll have 100 happy people and 9 900 unhappy ones. But it's fair. And frustrating.

I've been playing IWD since it came out and didn't get any main hand or gloves. Heck, I didn't event get a yeti pet.
    Using the armor pieces I crafted instead of my trusty High Vizir set, even on overcharge, didn't get any visible benefit.
    So well, I did what I did in Sharandar about the top class armour : just shrug and ignore it.

This being said, it's really frustrating and a very unpleasant experience, to hope for something each and every time and be denied it each and every time. It brings down the level of pleasure one gets from the game, and that's something that's not good for the game.
    It also sets some kind of precedent, since people are getting used to never having what they want, so a lot of people kind of expect now it will be the same with the 4th expansion, and don't even bother to be excited about it.

As for me, since I have more money available than time, I'd love to be able to buy the remaining elements of the set in one way or the other, of be able to buy the top gear (fomorian weapons and all).
    Some will argue that this will give an edge to rich people. Well, people who pay for things are those who maintain this game and pay for the bills, so that wouldn't be unfair, but this isn't true : a rich guy in top gear armour will never beat someone who has spent hours honing his skills. So everybody would be happy.

That maybe so, but if I had a race, and said every race the top 5 places would have a 1/1000 chance for a million bucks and the first 5 cars were Lamborghini's, and the other five were Chevy Chevette's whats the chances on those Chevettes placing in the top 5? The Lamborghini drivers would have to crash or run off the track!

I have done 100's of Epic heroics and gotten "Great Success" maybe 15 times!
    Shieldbash 60 GF ~ Iron Vanguard 19.0k
    Overpowered 60 CW ~ Thaumaturge 14.5k
    ==========================================

~ GF Buffs were great we are much better, please fix the bugs now... Thank you!
  • bolt#9204 bolt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 79 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    See here is part of the problem. I have had "Great Success" flash up several times sometimes I get a purple item other times I get a blue a potion and some ice. I think it is a lack of explanation as to exactly how things work which causes the confusion and disappointment for a lot of players around the expectation of the effort and drop rate required to obtain driven armour in epic encounters in IWD and DV.

As I said I am not against effort driven rather than currency driven items but I would like the drop rate to be such that the average player who does not sit on his/her <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> all playing Neverwinter has a chance of seeing some success before they retire from work in the real world .... at which time they may well sit on their arses and play NWN all day but I cant wait that long :)
    edited July 2014
    Please for all that is good in the GAMING WORLD!!! Give us another way to get this main Hand for the love of god and sweet baby jesus....

I cannot stand IWD any longer and yet i am stuck their all day every day farming heroics and I fear i will die an old aged man before I get one and look back on my life and think WTF was i thinking....

Make it drop every where, at least we can solo minor heroics trying to get it rather then wast time waiting for others and dying over and over an over again! I want to do other fun stuff! This isn't fun! I feel like i am working...

• damnataanimusdamnataanimus Member Posts: 446 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    jrfbrunet wrote: »
    Would it be safe to assume that...
    when mod 4 and its accompanying new armor/weapon sets gets released, the drop rate for BI mainhand/gauntlets will be tweaked to a reasonable number in the RNG?

IF anything knowing cryptic they will reduce it more xD
    May the RNG Gods smile on you today!
    Adorable Temptress - 23.4k Temptation SW
    Mara Angelbane - 22k Thaum CW, Vaya Con Dios 15.2k Dragon CW.
    Mara Shadowskiss - 21.5k Destroyer GWF, Mara - 17.2k Sentinel GWF
    Mara Duskwalker - 15.4k Healing DC
    Mara Hawkeye -14.6k HR
    Mara Spiritforge - 16.9k Tanky GF
    Bad Religion - 14.7k Pew Pew DC
    Mara Shadowstouch,Maara - TR's
  • pointsmanpointsman Member Posts: 2,327 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    My CW unlocked IWD relatively recently, about 3 weeks ago, and I obtained both the Black Ice mainhand (in Dwarven Valley) and the Black Ice gloves (in Icewind Pass). Now maybe I was just really lucky, I don't know. But anyway, here is what I did, so that it might be of some help to some of you.

First I focused on the major encounters (3-5 person ones) rather than the epic encounters. They spawn every 20 minutes or so, two at a time. When they would spawn, I would dash immediately to the one that was farthest away from the main entrance. This is so I could arrive before everyone else and try to get a head start on killing some mobs. If I showed up first and there was no one else around, I would try to get as far into the first phase of the encounter as I could without dying. I also took care to complete the tasks associated with the encounter (free prospectors, open cages, whatever) and not just kill mobs. If someone else died I would try to revive them if possible. Also once I started the encounter, I didn't leave the encounter area until it was over, the idea being that I did not want my time spent in the encounter to be "reset" by leaving and returning.

I also farmed the encounters during non-peak hours, so that, with fewer people around, my individual contribution (however that is calculated) would be weighted more heavily.

Anyway, I understand your frustration. Hope this helps.
  • thestaggythestaggy Member Posts: 1,102 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2014
    I've said this in the other threads about the bracers and mainhands; make the Epic HEs drop seals or a resource, call it 'Black Ice Shards'. After gaining a certain amount of seals you can buy the mainhand or bracers. Or, you use your Black Ice Shards to craft the basic Black Ice bracers and mainhand via the Black Ice profession.

Putting it in the store with the other stuff defeats the point of the HEs, so I do not see them doing that as then few people would do the HEs.
    PSA: You don't need to grind Spinward Rise for your Elemental artifact main hand if you have some AD lying around. You can craft it via the Tyranny of Dragon's campaign screen.
  • silence1xsilence1x Member Posts: 1,503 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    aulduron wrote: »
    My DC can't even do the campaign solo, so he gets nothing at all. Now that I have the bracers, I see how useless they are. All BI gear is good for is getting into KR and after the drop rate nerf on BI enchants, there is no reason to do KR or HEs.

Agreed - KR was the only reason to even care in my opinion and now that's gone as well. I haven't even done a KR run since the drop rate nerf but I can see its effects in the rest of IWD.
    I aim to misbehave
  • silverkeltsilverkelt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,235 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    silence1x wrote: »
    Agreed - KR was the only reason to even care in my opinion and now that's gone as well. I haven't even done a KR run since the drop rate nerf but I can see its effects in the rest of IWD.

This isnt 100% true, for some classes, sets of BI gear is a nice stat distribution for PVP purposes, I prefer it on my CW over my profound, but for like other classes, I prefer my deflect bonus on my GWF on the profound gear.

I havent run a KR since nerf either.. cryptic cant seem to figure out how to make things NOT junk to fight against bots. Bots running something, lets ruin it for the player-base.. that seems to be the MO around here lately.

FOR a person who farmed almost 90% of all his refine points by farming his own, I really am pissed about this. I was just about to get my cleric to the 3rd purple artifact, my CW working on second and my HR/GWF were like 1-2 rank lines away from their first purple. NOW, its a much slower process.. I cant imagine starting with greens like I will on my SW.

Again , I HAVE no qualms with them removing the 99 stacks on the AH, I do have a problem with them saying, I cannot grind my own. If I had purchased those on the AH, I wouldve been there already, but Ive always farmed my own enchants.
  • ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I have a guildmate who insists the best way to get your drop is to die as much as possible in the HE events ;)

The frustration at not getting my MH has hit such a high level, I'm about to try his approach.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
    edited July 2014
    ironzerg79 wrote: »
    I have a guildmate who insists the best way to get your drop is to die as much as possible in the HE events ;)

The frustration at not getting my MH has hit such a high level, I'm about to try his approach.

I may just try that!

• beastmasterragebeastmasterrage Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Same, I've done encounters in the pass and still no blackice gloves...it's frustrating..put it in the **** shop for petes sake ---___---
  • iambecks1iambecks1 Member Posts: 4,044 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    The annoying thing is they have repeated the same mistake , the gloves and boots for the module 4 Draconic set drop from HE's too -.-
    YourSecretsAreOurSecrets.gif
  • hexanna22hexanna22 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 204 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2014
    Just an update.
    Yesterday I finally saw a Remorhaz on my GWF--and got my gloves. 30 mins later I got my main hand from Hammerstone Invasion. Also did a Beholder a few minutes after and got a pair of Hammerstone Boots--not that they are worth anything.

My GWF is new and doesn't have any of the uber companions....I didn't die, I wasn't there right at the beginning, but pretty close. I did raise people in each.

I did a prospectors and corrupted wolf pack right before the Rem HE popped up...we were a moderate sized group running to all of them.

AND last but not least, when I logged on I decided to use the zen I had sitting in the store on a Runeforged kit to upgrade my pick axe, I doubt that is what influenced the drops, but you never know.
  • stripiestfilly0stripiestfilly0 Member Posts: 70 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    bioshrike wrote: »
    Why can't they just add a predictable, reliable way of earning gear? Why must everything be gated behind some RNG whose results and formulas are kept hidden from us? What is needed is this: For every HE you take part in, you get a token. You can then buy any item (BoP) from a store in Caer-Konig using these tokens. No item should exceed 30-50 tokens. Heck, I'd even go so far as to say that the number of these tokens that you get should be related to either your ranking in the HE or the "size" of the HE itself, (maybe 1 token for small ones, 2 for medium, 3 for larger ones).
    I like this idea
    Sorcerer.jpg
  • mamistawmamistaw Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Some positive feedback on what I feel overall is a very negative introduction.

I have played the game since late beta 45+ played days on my main and IWD left me terribly frustrated. I play in patches sometimes very long ones sometimes short ones but I've completed all 3 campaigns within at most a week (usually a day or two) of the earliest time frame available. I PVP'd a great deal early on way before the boon releases still have 500+ GG coins I can't really be bothered spending as well as glory having already bought full kits for a friend (back when it was still BoE).

I've honestly given up with IWD and will now be awaiting module 4. Whoever's idea it was to make the current system for gloves and main needs to be taken somewhere and dealt with. It is an absolutely ridiculous mechanic and I refuse to continue to participate. For me it was actually an upgrade to the equipment and I actually liked the idea of boosting via black ice. You have the mechanics for recording the number of HE's completed you could have at least made an offering with that even if it was a token when you got 180 Black Ice (which I have got on enough occasions to now no longer bother) and make them purchasable with 10-50 or even 100 of them for the equipment required but to have them on an immensely frustrating RNG is mind boggling.

Please in anything in the future do NOT do this again or at the very least make it a nice side benefit to get it earlier than expected. You already do this with events dropping BoE versions of the grindable companions etc please make it this way in the future this mechanic please. Even if I can see it's going to take me a few weeks of grinding away it has a reachable goal rather than map bouncing trying to find and get to the HE's to (possibly/maybe/but I suspect not) get the drop.

Thanks
    edited July 2014
    You're going to love module 4 then , in module 4 the gloves and boots for the Draconic set drop from HE's XD
  • gomok72gomok72 Member Posts: 616 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    your not the only one that feels this way, I enjoy this game a lot, but I have been feeling a bit frustrated about some of these grindy dynamics as well. Not sure if I'm going to continue putting forth a lot of time or money if they don't change things in he future.
    I may not be considered by most the BEST PVP Warlock on the server but, I am the most HATED amongst them.

-Kymos
  • iceshard2faceiceshard2face Member Posts: 289 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2014
    iambecks1 wrote: »
    You're going to love module 4 then , in module 4 the gloves and boots for the Draconic set drop from HE's XD

ugh not again i knew it was headed that way same headache as IWD im getting tired of this take away from the game and moving more into a job. if i wanted to play the lottery id go buy a ticket not spend hours/months trying to get a piece of equipment that if it ever drops probably wont be for the class im playing
  • zshikarazshikara Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 796 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Most good MMOs I've played use RNG to prolong how long people play. I have nothing against RNG at all, however from the sounds of it you're more complaining about a low drop rate, which I can get behind that complaint if that's what it is, but if you want RNG to be gone completely then that just isn't happening I don't think.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Tired of running dungeons with exploiters and cheaters? Join the legit channel by visiting http://goo.gl/1zfnTS to apply!
    Performing ritual pony sacrifices to Tiamat to earn favor with the RNG Gods since 2014.
    edited July 2014
    ironzerg79 wrote: »

Update: ok last night I tried this and walked around the mobs letting them kill me over and over like a complete mongo. I looked like the biggest dunce GF ever lmao! I got 75 BI and some <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> nothing more...

• silverkeltsilverkelt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,235 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    at this point, why even bother 2 weeks away and these weapons will be useless. Armour might still have some value though, as new armour isnt really a pvp set at all.
  • hamletswordshamletswords Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,320 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2014
    Just wait until mod4 then you're superbuffed GF will kick *** and get it in not time.

Of course by then it won't be that great with the new stuff coming out...
    My Harem: Dawn HR, Erin CW, Piper TR, Zoe GWF
    edited July 2014
    silverkelt wrote: »
    at this point, why even bother 2 weeks away and these weapons will be useless. Armour might still have some value though, as new armour isnt really a pvp set at all.

The only way to get the new Artifact weapons is through the campaign so it will probably be at least 3 to 4 weeks after module 4 gets released before we can get hold of them ,unless they add them to lockboxes or add some way to speed up the campaign to lockboxes.
  • mamistawmamistaw Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    zshikara wrote: »
    Most good MMOs I've played use RNG to prolong how long people play. I have nothing against RNG at all, however from the sounds of it you're more complaining about a low drop rate, which I can get behind that complaint if that's what it is, but if you want RNG to be gone completely then that just isn't happening I don't think.

Thanks for everyone's reasonable replies. I have no problem with some form of RNG to prolong items but it got past the point of tedious and that's when I quite reasonably found something better to do with my time. I like a form of grind at least one where there is a reasonable end in sight.

GAME:"You want that 5th boon well just login for 5 weeks and do something things each day (and ideally each week) and you can have it"
    ME:"ok sounds like a grind but let's do it I can probably level some companions and chat to the guild while I'm at it! I take it it's not exactly the same thing each day?"
    GAME:"Nope it's on a bit of cycle and you can chop and change it a bit and one of the zones has the dungeon you want to pick rather than forcing you to each one."
    ME:"Meh it'll probably get me after a while but I as I can see there is a tangible reward I'll do it."

GAME:"You want some high end gloves - well they are high end they aren't supposed to be easy to get! They go with those epic boots you had to farm quite a bit of black ice for and level up the profession."
    ME:"Uh-huh oh yeah gimme gimme. Ok some epic fights I bet get some guildies along and we can work out some strategies and do some farming for a while!"
    GAME:"Oh no sunshine it doesn't work that way!"
    ME:"Well you did say Epic!"
    GAME:"Nope we want you to spawn between two maps (or sit in one for an hour or so) looking for Heroic Encounters you are going to have to run like mad to get to the beholder at the bottom of the map else other people will get the EPIC rewards not you!"
    ME:"Ok so I do all that and run around and finally get the EPIC rewards I'll be there right?"
    GAME:"No way! That just gives you a smidgen percentage chance. You have to keep going and going and going. Oh but you do get 180 raw black ice each time you don't quite make it!"
    ME:"Ok any chance that I could have a bit of backup maybe after doing 100 Epic Heroic Encounters I'd be pretty much guaranteed it by way of token drops or increasing the percentage against my character after each fail?"
    GAME:"LOL"
    GAME:"Actually we do give you something!!"
    ME:"Oh great!"
    GAME:"Yeah it's an achievement - woo woo!!"
    ME:"%!&*%^%" -wanders off to find something that feels less like pulling teeth.

It just feels like the time spent vs the reward just isn't worth the bother and to be honest I'm not going to. I have plenty of things in RL and *hush* other games that I could do without the complete and utter tediousness of it all. If it does stay the same way in module 4 then I'll have a blast levelling up my warlock and retire I'm not wasting my time on mind-numbing thoughtless mechanics.

Others may feel differently but from those I have spoken to it really isn't. I'd like the change for the Black Ice gear but can completely understand why you wouldn't change it but honestly as just mentioned if they use the same gaming mechanisms again you won't see me farming for them.

All it does is remind of "Robin Williams Golf" sketch - iirc some rude words in there for any youngsters.

Thanks again.
  • myowmyowmyowmyow Member Posts: 1,923 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Someone add "RNG" to the Acronyms link on the NW Wiki website - I have no idea what that means. :)
    SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! (repeat indefinitely)

myles08807 said, "Back in my day, we didn't have any of this fancy Mulhorand gear while we were leveling . . . we walked uphill both ways while dying once every five seconds while leveling, and we liked it fine!" . . . Now, get off my lawn, you kids!"
    pointsman said, "I don't rue the game. In fact I don't feel any regret for the game at all."
    looomis said, "I don't like people changing to alts and then bragging about their mains like schizophrenic role players."
    edited July 2014
    Random Number Generator or - RNG is a term used to refer to the phenomenon of randomosity - the unpredictable outcome of a situation featuring a significantly randomised element. It's the system used to decide what random loot you get from DD chests etc.
  • anharmonanharmon Member Posts: 175
    edited July 2014
    Or alternatively Random Number Goddess. Who hates 80% of the playerbase.
  • imaginaerum1imaginaerum1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 378 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    You seem to be under a misapprehension that a number of people are under, due to misinformation being spread over and over on the zone chat in IWD.

You do NOT need to do Remorhaz/Raiders for the gloves. You do NOT need to do the Beholder for the main hand.

The gloves can drop from ANY major or epic HE in the Pass. The main hand can drop from ANY major or epic in the dwarven area.
    In addition (and this may be a bug) the main hand also drops from at least one major HE in the Pass.

So far I have found three main hands and one gloves, and not one of them was from an epic HE.

So, instead of bouncing around from zone to zone trying to rush to the Epic where everyone else is doing the same thing, just plug away at the majors, and grab any epic that happens to pop up in the zone you are in. Eventually you will get both the main hand and the gloves.
  • biibiisaibiibiisai Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 133 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I've done over 150 majors and epics, have about 80% great successes. Among these, only like 5 gave me epic loot, the rest are all potions, and green junk, not even enchantments. Sometimes, I get 75 black ice with nothing else for getting great success. Please, developers, please do something to this endless grind... You have seen enough people complaining in the forum and offering a number of suggestions that are all very similar to what has already been implemented in other parts of this game. Please let us have a means to get the BI gear so we can enjoy other content in the game and not just get more and more frustrated grinding the things we are not interested in.
    edited July 2014
    You seem to be under a misapprehension *snip*.

Not at all your assumption not mine. I have only 300+ encounters (of all types) done and nothing that I would be happy to show for it. I got the Eye of Lathandar after eventually unlocking the adamantine guantlets and doing the runs with them. I suspect if I didn't get it within the course of the that campaign I'd probably still enjoy running one a day trying to get it. That would be something that wouldn't seem like a grind this however feels like a massive waste of time and energy.

It isn't like a Kessels retreat where you can just keep running it and running it and hopefully getting the drops you want (I really wanted the corrupt rings just keep getting purified ones) but even that I feel why bother I've given up with the other bits of black ice gear I want due to poor ill-thought gameplay mechanics.

The problem is the waste of time. There are what two larger encounters every 30 minutes that if people pile in last 5-10 minutes if not they can stay there for 20 minutes till they expire. So in the meantime if you can't get people to go for the unpopular encounters you then have to wait or bounce to another zone. If you've completed the campaign as I have why bother with the dailies and the weekly takes you out of the zone anyway so pointless. As I said it was badly conceived and terribly implemented I have much better things to do with MY time.

If it does (as people have suggested) appears in exactly the same format in module 4 I for one will, as stated, have fun leveling up a warlock and giving the new equipment a miss.