test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Hunter Ranger Feedback - Discussions

Comments

• midnightfang93midnightfang93 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet, but the feat in the archer path that "decreases ranged encounter cooldowns by 10/20/30/40/50%" didn't actually cut it down by 50% at lvl 5. I spammed thorn ward without it and the cooldown was about 23 seconds. With the level 5 cooldown it was about 16 seconds cooldown. Just wanted to point that out. that the skills weren't really getting the 50% cooldown.

Yes, they were. If you want to cut the cooldown of something in half, you need 100% reduction. It works like speed.

Formula: Initial / (1 + X) where X = % decrease in decimal form.

Example #1: 23 / (1 + .5) = 15.3333333333 = 16 as far as the visual timer is concerned.

Example #2: 23 / (1 + 1, or 100% cooldown reduction) = 11.5 = 12 as far as the visual counter is concerned.
  • bucklittlebucklittle Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    The HR will have the highest single target DPS with the current changes. It puts them in a good place in PVE. They still won't be ideal for clearing trash, but for boss fights they will be putting out the most damage.

For PVP survivability is being trading for damage. Redoing constricting arrow and the 4-set will make CWs much more difficult and along with the GWF nerfs will put CW, TR, and HR as the new top PVP classes. All in all they are good changes for PVP and PVE except for the GWF.
  • realramaladnirealramaladni Member Posts: 51
    edited June 2014
    5% HP x 10 stacks = 50% HP over 15 secs?

Well...
    Hot Pants

#1 Enemy Team PvP Devoted Cleric

Best rapper 2014
    Alpha female
  • ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    5% HP x 10 stacks = 50% HP over 15 secs?

Well...

Does seem a bit OP still considering a cleric companion only heals 20% over 10 seconds. Then again, you gotta rush and agro, and survive the mob first.
    edited June 2014
    ghoulz66 wrote: »
    Does seem a bit OP still considering a cleric companion only heals 20% over 10 seconds. Then again, you gotta rush and agro, and survive the mob first.

I wonder how it'd fare in PvE, it'd give some value to the deflect stat. However in PvP, I wonder if it'd heavily benefit from things such as plaguefire or bilethorn damage deflects help stacking up. It'd be counter intuitive for a HR to outheal your damage, which is one of the current problems of the class as of date.

It might be very different with Healing Depression coming into play, but an internal cooldown could help it from being broken, while still serving its purpose.
    Hot Pants

Best rapper 2014
    Alpha female
  • isuuck2isuuck2 Member Posts: 491 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2014
    Seems like the devs are thinking to much about pve and they dont understand how overpowered it will be in pvp. Ferocious reaction now only heals me for 5k of my 45k hp in pvp and has a 3min cool down. with heal depression it will heal them for 25% of their max hit points and they will also have a **** ton of life steal. I am still extremely nervouse about this but will test it more in pvp.
  • thedemienthedemien Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    So technically with HR health around 25k we will get at max 12250 healed over 15 sec. and this gives around 2500 per tick every 3 sec. This is for 10 hits deflected. Normal HR with not top gear has around 35% of deflect chance with 50% severety. So we will have to stack it to max at the 10 hit to get some reasonable recovery. Correct me if my math is wrong.

Assuming that avarage GWF will take like a 50%-75% HRs health with 'traditional' atack series that they have now. So healing will start at around 50% of health taken. Still need testing.

Better then unlimited stack and looks reasonable.

Feedback
    with royal guardian armor - eg on off the tops for deflection rate - 'Fluid Hunter' is a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. would not invest in that 1% 5 feets. you can get same with stacking refinements.
  • marnivalmarnival Member Posts: 1,432 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    So technically with HR health around 25k we will get at max 12250 healed over 15 sec. and this gives around 2500 per tick every 3 sec. This is for 10 hits deflected. Normal HR with not top gear has around 35% of deflect chance with 50% severety. So we will have to stack it to max at the 10 hit to get some reasonable recovery. Correct me if my math is wrong.

Half of that in pvp so lets not get carried away just yet mkay.

After this my guess is that avarage deflect will me much closer to 30% and getting 10 stacks means you will have to deflect 10 hits = about 30-40 hits for it to get to max stack.

With life steal it can become a problem in pvp but if you look what range can do in dam compared to meele am not conviced that going full meele is the way to go. Building for survival with range might prove to be more valid even in pvp as the dam output on single target seem to say the least good.
  • rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    marnival wrote: »
    Half of that in pvp so lets not get carried away just yet mkay.

After this my guess is that avarage deflect will me much closer to 30% and getting 10 stacks means you will have to deflect 10 hits = about 30-40 hits for it to get to max stack.

With life steal it can become a problem in pvp but if you look what range can do in dam compared to meele am not conviced that going full meele is the way to go. Building for survival with range might prove to be more valid even in pvp as the dam output on single target seem to say the least good.

did they patched already?
  • midnightfang93midnightfang93 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    rayrdan wrote: »
    did they patched already?

Either this week or next week they are doing the class updates that gentlemancrush posted about.
  • mircalla83mircalla83 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 36
    edited June 2014
    The whole 'Normal HR with not top Gear will have 35% Deflect Chance' is talking out of someones' rear end.
    Lets say typical PvP HR, Domination, so no extra Gear slots for items with Defensive slots.
    The HR carries 2 Regen rings, thats 2 Def Slots, lets say a slotted set of pants/shirt, another Def slot, plus Armor and most likely the Belt, too. That makes it 5 Def Slots.
    Now, lets think 'Normal with not top', this means Rank 5 Enchants, 5 Slots at 120 Deflect, means 600 Deflect Rating. If we go with R7, which are somewhat cheap, that makes it 5x 185 Deflect, so 925 Deflect. Add the Deflect boon from Shara, another 250, 1175.
    Now, lets go with the 'totally Normal, not Top' Profound Combatant Armor. With the above mentioned Deflect Budget, we sit at 2733 Deflect Rating. Oops, we just blew all our Def Slot 'Budget' on Deflect. Now, lets see what this gives us, in percent, shall we?

https://www.desmos.com/calculator/3dqpvhuavj Is my source, ask every numbercruncher and elitist in the game, they can verify the validity of this page.

The closest I could get, 2730, gives me 18.68% Deflect Chance. Now, lets add other Deflect sources. The usual PvP chara that builds for Deflect will be Halfling, for the Control Resist and Deflect racial, 3%. Lucky Skirmisher, 3%. Dexterity at 20 when creating the character (maximum for Halfling, highest ability score before racial one can 'roll' is 18, makes it 20 for Halfling), Dex maxed out during leveling, makes it 26, so 8% Deflect chance (0.5% per Dex over 10, so 16x 0.5).
    Added up, this makes it 18.68% +14% = 32.68%.
    Now, lets redo the same for a HR that blows the same Defense Slot Budget (which also give DR via Azure Enchants, or HP via Radiants) on R10 Enchants. Thats 5x 300, so 1500 Deflect Rating, adding the bonus from Profound Combatant and the Shara Boon. 3308 Deflect Rating, according to the Graph I linked earlier - 3310 Deflect Rating gives 20.59% Deflect Chance.
    So with the fixed bonus effects that give a flat percentage, we are at 34.59%.
    The 'Fluid Hunter' feat does NOT give Deflect CHANCE, but Deflect RATING. Transferred to that Graph and corrected for Diminishing Returns, you get a whopping 0.4-0.6% Bonus. For 5 Feat points. Unlike the Deflect Feats on GWF and GF that still give a flat CHANCE Bonus.
    Also, in my statements backed by MATH, those 2 HRs would have HORRIBLE Damage Reductions (no Azure Enchants) and would struggle to get up to around 30k HP. Now, look at your average 'Deflect HR' on live, Combat Spec, but remove the 'Elusive Hunter' Feat (the one that currently gives 10% Deflection Chance while in Melee stance, since HRs LOSE that feat, and get a horrible replacement). That's closer to the truth.
  • rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    full rank 9, full profound, combat specced (10% more deflect in melee), halfing, with sharandar deflect boon, and 3% deflect feat here.
    with radiants in defense slots i dont reach 30% deflect in melee (live server).
    so all the "you guys deflect too much" is not right.
  • hamletswordshamletswords Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,320 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2014
    isuuck2 wrote: »
    Seems like the devs are thinking to much about pve and they dont understand how overpowered it will be in pvp. Ferocious reaction now only heals me for 5k of my 45k hp in pvp and has a 3min cool down. with heal depression it will heal them for 25% of their max hit points and they will also have a **** ton of life steal. I am still extremely nervouse about this but will test it more in pvp.

You and realramaladni are aware that HR currently has a heal in the form of the set-bonus right?
    My Harem: Dawn HR, Erin CW, Piper TR, Zoe GWF
  • cookiecrisp15cookiecrisp15 Banned Users Posts: 532 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2014
    thedemien wrote: »

Assuming that avarage GWF will take like a 50%-75% HRs health with 'traditional' atack series that they have now. So healing will start at around 50% of health taken. Still need testing.

Better then unlimited stack and looks reasonable.

Feedback
    with royal guardian armor - eg on off the tops for deflection rate - 'Fluid Hunter' is a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. would not invest in that 1% 5 feets. you can get same with stacking refinements.

1st of all GWF ill have to hit you w,o hes CCs
  • zomdzomd Member Posts: 166 Arc User
    edited June 2014

Tested it soloing Icewind Dale. Pretty solid for PvE. Very good control with Strong Roots. You can go full control with Marauder's/Hindering/Constrictive moving back and forth from Melee to Ranged and Controlling a nice group of mobs, and you can replace Marauders with Rain of Arrows for more damage. With this tree, Rangers can finally bring more to the table than damage or mitigation, broadening the scope of the class.

Nice. I wanted to try this, but I'm getting the crash on loading a character on the preview server. Anyway, this is actually my loadout on my HR (w/ ranged feats) on Live right now for solo play so I'm excited to see it buffed and to see how it works in dungeons. When I party/skirmish I still switch out to RoA and Split the Sky most of the time.

I'm defintely torn about which feat tree I'll spec in now, Archery vs. Trapper, which I think is a good sign at least.
  • thedemienthedemien Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    mircalla83 wrote: »
    The whole 'Normal HR with not top Gear will have 35% Deflect Chance' is talking out of someones' rear end.
    true. I was capping at to the most I have see on any hr.
    My current pvp hr has 2k defelection in profound gear plus 25 dex. as far as I remember i have around 25%-28% deflect. Unfortunately can not look at gateaway total deflect percent.
    The 'Fluid Hunter' feat does NOT give Deflect CHANCE, but Deflect RATING
    I agree that this feet is a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> technically. What is would like to count is assuming that you maxed def change with all R10, Profound, halfling ets - it will be <35% top.
    And still we can see
    rayrdan wrote:
    with radiants in defense slots i dont reach 30% deflect in melee (live server).

What i would like to calc is avarage pvp damage you will have to take - lets assume you don't attack at all - and lost of health you will get 50% cap. It is very vague of course but it would be nice to understand how alive this feet will be in pvp. We will still be taking it for sure - dead hr deals no damage - but it would be nice to understand how much we actually lose from nerfing profound and "kinda" fixing "heal on deflect" mechanic.

Im my view after testing this feet on preview for hr 45,56 lvl (got saved copies) - it is very handy for low levels for sure and for overall balancing of hr leveling.
  • ganjahero91ganjahero91 Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Tone it down because? I have been using stormwarden archery on the test server and I finally can be competitive with cw's and gwf's dps-wise. What is your reasoning for wanting a damage nerf on a class, rather a paragon tree that is basically for dps?
    Dark Chocolate HR
  • ganjahero91ganjahero91 Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    ayroux wrote: »
    Just a Few comments on this.

"Unflinching Aim: 6/12/18/24/30% more Ranged Damage."
    - A T3 feat that offers a 30% damage boost? Seems a bit too much, I mean the T5 gives 30% only on ONE target. This seems like it should be toned down to about 15%...

"Stillness of the Forest: Your Ranged damage is increased the farther you get from your target. Max 2/4/6/8/10%. Additionally, while no foes are within 25 feet of you, you have 5/10/15/20/25% increased chance to crit.
    This one also scares me, potentially 10% more damage PLUS 25% crit? Combined with all the critical severity - not even including Vorpal encahnts, this one T4 feat alone can approach over 40% damage boost pretty easily... Seems a little over the top to me. Maybe nerf this down to 15% more crit at maximum down from 25%...

Tone it down because? I have been using stormwarden archery on the test server and I finally can be competitive with cw's and gwf's dps-wise. What is your reasoning for wanting a damage nerf on a class, rather a paragon tree that is basically for dps?
    Dark Chocolate HR
    edited June 2014
    You and realramaladni are aware that HR currently has a heal in the form of the set-bonus right?

Yes I do, I think I'd be *aware* of that, and so? Are they to have two self-heals then? One on set bonus, one on daily and even more on feats. They'll easily heal themselves easier than any DC.
    Hot Pants

Best rapper 2014
    Alpha female
  • isuuck2isuuck2 Member Posts: 491 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2014
    You might compete with a control wizard but you have far more sustainability than control wizards. GWF dps is overpowered. Now with the cw nuff ofc you can keep up with them but in pvp how will this fare? you forget that pvp is where the most balance issues are. Getting out dps in a dungeon pales in comparison to one shooting someone in pvp.
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Yes I do, I think I'd be *aware* of that, and so? Are they to have two self-heals then? One on set bonus, one on daily and even more on feats. They'll easily heal themselves easier than any DC.

No, what you're missing is that the set bonus is getting several strikes with the nerf hammer.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • hamletswordshamletswords Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,320 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2014

No, the set bonus is getting nerfed with an internal cooldown and chance to proc. Depending on how it plays out it might not be worth using. In any case it's not going to be a significant 2nd heal.
    edited June 2014

Yeah people see things like 25% crit and they're like OMFG. But that's just how bad off HR is- we need big feats like that to actually be competitive in PVE.
  • ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I don't think the HR should have nearly as much punch as the GWF. They've got a choice in attacking safely from a distance when needed.
  • mutantdemocracymutantdemocracy Member Posts: 497 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    ghoulz66 wrote: »
    I don't think the HR should have nearly as much punch as the GWF. They've got a choice in attacking safely from a distance when needed.

I don't think the GWF should have as much punch as the HR. They've got tools that allow them to facetank all CC, good chunks of damage, and have a decent few meter AOE CC.

Combat HRs are like TRs without the protection of stealth and long rolls. Their damages both seem to come up pretty short against GWF, though.
  • mircalla83mircalla83 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 36
    edited June 2014
    tang56 wrote: »
    I respecced on PTR for a archery HR. Me and another archery HR duoed remohaz, which seems a little excessively powerful. Neither of us wore a full BI or PvE gear(I only have profound combatant and no IWD boons).

With a hybrid archery/combat spec me and a TR duoed the corrupted wolves encounter fairly easily(we pulled everything at once).

For PvE HR feels very good. You can get excellent damage at the expense of close in survivability with archery and great survivability with competitive AOE damage with a hybrid or combat spec. However for PvP it feels totally overpowered to a laughable degree. I'm pretty tired right now so I don't currently have any suggestions on how to fix this.

T1

• Ghostwalker: extremely nice addition for a class that relies mostly of moving to stay alive in bother PvP and PvE.
    • Keen Eye: I don't really think HR needs more AP gain honestly. My HR already gains AP faster than my CW on live and I only have 600 recovery.

T2
    • Broadhead Arrows: A nice buff, I don't see any real issues with it now that prime critical has been removed.

T3
    • Unflinching Aim: The top end additional damage seems excessive (and feels excessive). I suggest changing it to 5/10/15/20/25% more damage on ranged attacks after a critical hit for 3 seconds.
    • Bottomless Quiver: I like this one, it helps make archery spec feel very fluid and natural to play. Still on the fence as to if it's too much of a CD reduction or not.

T4
    • Rising focus: Did not test. but allowing this feat to stack three times does appear excessive. Suggest halving the effectiveness of the feat or only allowing two stacks.
    • Stillness of the Forest: Basically a rework of the old snipers aim feat. I haven't got an issue with it.

T5
    • Predator: This is way to powerful in PvP. In PvP this should be reduced to 10%. Feels ok in PvE, although 20 seconds is rather a long time, prehaps rework to 6-10 seconds, which should be easy enough to keep up anyway.

T1

• Bloodletting: I have no real issue with this by itself, but adding this with Battle Crazed stacks is absurd. One or the other should be reworked.
    • Serpent Weave: Feels very nice, allows for combat spec to feel just as smooth as the archery spec(with Bottomless Quiver).

T2
    • Fluid Hunter: Worthless, nobody wants 5% deflect rating. Make it 5% deflect severity or 5% deflect chance and it'd be a worthwhile feat.

T3
    • Piercing Blade: This damage should be mitigated(at the very least by tenacity) and deflectable in PvP only.
    • Wilds Medicine: Broken in it's current state. Needs a stack(I suggest tuning it lower in PvP and higher in PvE) limit or a long ICD.

Bug: Wilds Medicine
    With no stack limit or ICD this makes combat HR's immortal unless hit by a archery spec HR(since everyone else hits like a pansy now)

I did not test any higher level combat feats or try the trapper tree.

Stack limit is introduced in the upcoming server build for Wilds Medicine, and they are trying to fix the issue that the ticks of the campfire buff or any other effect proc this, too. With 19% Deflect chance AND the bugged proc chance, you will sit around 8-14 stacks, once they fix the proc bug and limit it to 10, which has been, fun fact, suggested by the HR community, it might turn out better.
  • lirithiellirithiel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Poor Binding Arrow, the new Constricting Arrow has kind of taken it's job and it does it better :(.

I'll also note that the 2 seconds of Strong Grasping Roots feels shorter in duration than what is current live. I'm not sure what the actual duration is on live though, I'm just basing off the ability to get off extra aimed shots. Live is better.

Not sure what to make of these, do we need both? Does Binding Arrow need improving or a change?

Using both, particularly in conjuction with Ancient Roots is frankly hilarious. I'm not going to complain and don't want to get into balance discussions since I mostly puddle around with solo PVE but 5 sec extra duration on Strong Grasping Roots seems a touch excessive to me.

I haven't been on the preview shard and I don't intend to do so - my question is this: Do we now have Hindering Shot, new Constricting Arrow, Binding Arrow, Strong Grasping Roots and Weak Grasping Roots? That seems too much to me. Or is Hindering new Weak GR and Binding new Strong GR?
    Our pain is self chosen.

The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
    edited June 2014
    lirithiel wrote: »
    I haven't been on the preview shard and I don't intend to do so - my question is this: Do we now have Hindering Shot, new Constricting Arrow, Binding Arrow, Strong Grasping Roots and Weak Grasping Roots? That seems too much to me. Or is Hindering new Weak GR and Binding new Strong GR?

When you read up on the current Hindering Shot, you see it applies the 'Weak Grasping Roots' Effect.
    Binding Arrow applies 'Strong Grasping Roots'.
    Constricting Arrow (on Live) is its own effect, on Preview, it is an attack that applies an AoE 'Strong Grasping Roots'
    The melee side of Hindering Shot, called Hindering Strike, applies 'Strong Grasping Roots'.
    So we do not get additional skills, but the effect applied by the Skills is being reworked (except Constricting, which got put in line with the rest of it).
  • lirithiellirithiel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    When you read up on the current Hindering Shot, you see it applies the 'Weak Grasping Roots' Effect.
    Binding Arrow applies 'Strong Grasping Roots'.
    Constricting Arrow (on Live) is its own effect, on Preview, it is an attack that applies an AoE 'Strong Grasping Roots'
    The melee side of Hindering Shot, called Hindering Strike, applies 'Strong Grasping Roots'.
    So we do not get additional skills, but the effect applied by the Skills is being reworked (except Constricting, which got put in line with the rest of it).

Ahh so Binding Arrow will no longer apply the rubberbanding effect - good to know. I dunno, the damage portion of Binding Arrow still does more than Constricting Arrow and now that I'll be playing a pure Archer spec as opposed to Hybrid for dabbling in pvp I might just slot both abilities.
    Our pain is self chosen.

The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
  • caexarcaexar Member Posts: 355 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    lirithiel wrote: »
    Ahh so Binding Arrow will no longer apply the rubberbanding effect - good to know. I dunno, the damage portion of Binding Arrow still does more than Constricting Arrow and now that I'll be playing a pure Archer spec as opposed to Hybrid for dabbling in pvp I might just slot both abilities.

Well its not like you'd be using it anyway, with the changes coming to the HR it will be the return of the split shot spammers. Sad part is they'll think they're good too...
    Threat level 60 Guardian Fighter
    Gloom level 60 Control Wizard
    Dusk level 60 Trickster Rogue
    Dawn level 60 Devoted Cleric
    Eclipse level 60 Hunter Ranger
    Wrath level 60 Great Weapon Fighter
    Jinx level 60 Scourge Warlock