What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Hunter Ranger Feedback - Discussions

Comments

• Options
    victrollavictrolla Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Also HR suffers from the same problem as a Perma TR. Too many people with no clue how the class works or how to counter them.

Well, teach us then because I want to learn. I have a notebook filled with tips I've read on various sites. I have read various Builds. I have read forum posts. I have 4 HRs going now trying out different specs. I die in Dungeons. If the only way I can survive is by buying something, then please tell me. I hate to let a group down during a Dungeon ... because you can't get back in for the big Boss unless everyone else dies and you re-group.
  • Options
    myrnymmyrnym Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 80
    edited July 2014
    dam182 wrote: »
    Anything other than master of combat is a improvement. Though combat tree is still lackluster. I think that with lower melee cooldowns we would be fine. It's just complicated because actual feat is T1, Archer hybrids would benefit too much of it...

And taking in account the "god HR skills are so OP" videos, split the sky have been there forever, never was a problem, but now everything seems to be one. I read another post where someone said that dodge is OP, ranged attacks are OP, jumping is OP. I think the feedback should be more constructive, and anyone can post, not just HRs, 'cause other classes will interact with us at every moment.

IMO, one way to improve the PVE rangers is to increase the efficiency of our buff powers, everyone loves buffs, hitting harder, living longer... it have to be considered.

Or giving us quality debuffs.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    victrolla wrote: »
    Well, teach us then because I want to learn. I have a notebook filled with tips I've read on various sites. I have read various Builds. I have read forum posts. I have 4 HRs going now trying out different specs. I die in Dungeons. If the only way I can survive is by buying something, then please tell me. I hate to let a group down during a Dungeon ... because you can't get back in for the big Boss unless everyone else dies and you re-group.

Not dying in dungeons = handling threat better and dodging red circles.
  • Options
    rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    zhaofuo wrote: »
    4x Weapon damage is almost 4k at best - HR WPN damage range is between 700 to 900 i think and multiply that by 4? with every reflect? and no ICD are you kidding me?

combat tree....the dagger has no more than 500. And does it seems too much to you? we have gwfs having huge boost, archery having 25% flat boost to all damages. whats wrong with that ?
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited July 2014
    Folks, if your comments are more discussionary in measure than straight feedback,
    please use these discussion threads provided instead. Thanks!

We included each of these discussion threads as a link in the [ List ] sticky.
  • Options
    jabsolumjabsolum Member Posts: 109 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Feedback: HR, Changes to Constricting Arrow and alternative CC options
    Constricting Arrow: This power is now an Area of Effect Strong Grasping Roots apply instead of a series of stuns.

Whilst this is a very creative change I believe this power will only be viable for the Trapper path. Constricting Arrow as it works on live is the only tactical and preemptive CC a fellow HR has against other HR's or the Control Wizard.

If you PVP against an HR as another HR or a CW you will more than likely see this encounter get unleashed first. This encounter more often than not determines the outcome of this type of encounter. Whilst it will not save you from being controlled, it will save you from the spike damage that follows. Changing this skill will synergize beautifully with the Trapper path but in turn leave the encounter less than useful for the Combat and Archer HR.

I have been thinking about how to implement this better and have really had a reality shock about how hard it is to do this fairly and smartly.

My suggestions would be as follows,

1. Leave Constricting Arrow working as it does on live as of now and add your new changes to Binding Arrow instead.
    2. Change this skill to an attack that restricts an enemy from attacking. 5 seconds in PVE and Half VS Players
    3. Leave everything as it is but increase the daze from Disruptive Shot

I believe that any of these changes will still give all HR paths a viable and tactical form of CC outside of being pure Trapper.

This skill is already causing so much controversy given that the current PVP set has not been WAI since its implementation. The heal on deflect is unquantifiable and leads to a lot of confusion. Please consider changing this to a fixed healing bonus, for example 10%, 20%, 30%, incoming healing bonus or any other type of healing others more creative than I can imagine.

Thank you and please consider my feedback.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Hunter Ranger: Aspect of the Lone Wolf: *REWORK* Gain 2% bonus deflect chance for each enemy within 15' of you. Maximum bonus 10%. Ranking this class feature up increases the radius of the effect by 5'.

and you destroyed the whole thing again. thanks. 15' half a shift....2% deflect....why not rename it "Aspect of the Social Wolf"?
    at least do cruel recovery stacks.
  • Options
    hamletswordshamletswords Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,320 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2014
    EDIT: Additional Change! Aspect of the Lone Wolf has been problematic for a while now because it grants a lot of Damage resistance in the situation where it will always be optimal in PVP and PVE, while providing very little downside in situations where it might be more valuable. It was also letting Hunter Rangers reach the same damage resistance values as heavily geared Fighters, and this was just too strong.

Hunter Ranger: Aspect of the Lone Wolf: *REWORK* Gain 2% bonus deflect chance for each enemy within 15' of you. Maximum bonus 10%. Ranking this class feature up increases the radius of the effect by 5'.

Wow. So basically Archery isn't going to have enough DPS for PVE to be wanted for groups and you can forget about node-contesting as an HR in PVP.

Zero reason to play an HR in Mod4.

This process is some kind of cruel tease or something. By the time you guys are finished, GWF and CW will be buffed as hell and HR will still NEVER be wanted for a group and will be worthless in PVP, the one place we've done well.
    We want combat to feel like a high risk damage dealer who is exposed to danger but deals strong burst, which is often facilitated by strong use of the capstone feat Blade Hurricane.

That's fine but we don't even have any burst DPS and you took away constricting arrow so we have no CC to speak of.

Where's the strong burst? Aimed shot is barely usable in PVP and if you spec combat it won't even be buffed by feats.

I'll test the buffs mentioned here but they'd have to be REALLY strong to overcome our lack of CC, lack of any CC-escape mechanism, and lack of any high damage burst encounter if we're to be a high-risk, high-burst damage dealer.
    My Harem: Dawn HR, Erin CW, Piper TR, Zoe GWF
  • Options
    ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    New lone wolf makes no sense(shouldn't you be rewarded for being alone?), and sounds completely useless for pvp, unless you got the crazy everyone plus a DC are contesting on the middle node situation but even then it's still only 10% so why nerf a combat feat and force you to use a terrible class feature?
  • Options
    ychiakiychiaki Member Posts: 123 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Everyone is complaining along the forums because of our healing, you fix the profound set, nerf wild medicine (both are good changes) but also nerf aspect of the wolf? How is an archery HR supposed to survive now?
    DC Divine Oracle Faithful
    HR Stormwarden Trapper / Stormwarden Combat
    GWF Swordmaster Destroyer
    CW Master of Flame Thaumaturge / Spellstorm Oppressor
    TR Master Infiltrator Executioner
    SW Soulbinder Fury
  • Options
    shamgar4shamgar4 Member Posts: 121 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Lone wolf needed the nerf guys. Not saying you shouldnt have some way to survive, but it gave you more tankiness than either fighter class (minus a gwf while unstoppable). Is it too much of a nerf? Maybe. But they are seeing the feedback of nigh unkillable rangers, and trying to tweak it back into the "fun for all" area.

HR's need to be huge damage, medium survivablity. Improve AOE damage for group love.
  • Options
    stah01stah01 Member Posts: 540 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    GC, I think you guys are listening to the QQ'ing too much sometimes. AotW is fine where it was and helps archery tremendously. Its too big a rework and doesnt necessarily need to be reworked.

I feel like you guys are focusing on too many parts now. Lets just work on the 3 feat tree's, let us test combat improvements and go from there.

The combat improvements sound good and appreciate it.

Once the feats are complete, I think stormwarden should be looked at again. You see no SW in pvp nowadays and would love to see them come back so there is more variety to the class in pve and pvp. This might also be the time to see if AotW needs to be touched.
    GShBCGl.jpg
  • Options
    gentlemancrushgentlemancrush Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 445 Cryptic Developer
    edited July 2014
    stah01 wrote: »
    GC, I think you guys are listening to the QQ'ing too much sometimes. AotW is fine where it was and helps archery tremendously. Its too big a rework and doesnt necessarily need to be reworked.

I feel like you guys are focusing on too many parts now. Lets just work on the 3 feat tree's, let us test combat improvements and go from there.

The combat improvements sound good and appreciate it.

Once the feats are complete, I think stormwarden should be looked at again. You see no SW in pvp nowadays and would love to see them come back so there is more variety to the class in pve and pvp. This might also be the time to see if AotW needs to be touched.

AotW nerf actually comes from extensive playtesting. The new theory on it is the more alone you feel in combat (i.e. surrounded) the more visciously you fight. And straight up providing 20% flat damage resistance when 1v1 (in pve or pvp) put most rangers in fighter defensive territory. Given that I would rather tune this way back and see how hard the trees get hit and then tune them accordingly. It was proving to be a big crutch in all veins of play (my natural 1~BiS playthrough I almost never took it off my bar because it was so good, this is a huge warning flag). Getting their survivability in the right place is just too difficult with the way AotW was, so changing it now (and buffing or nerfing the new incarnation accordingly) will let us tune it correctly rather than delaying it even further.
  • Options
    nwnghostnwnghost Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I would disagree with the change to Aspect of the Lone Wolf.

In PvE, it is hardly ever used by Rangers who are in the thick of it (and usually, theres enough enemies around to make it give exactly 0%)

By making it grant a bonus the more enemies there are, combat rangers will always pick that feature for a bonus 10% deflect chance (5% effective DR at base severity), in addition to all the procs that happen OnDeflect

I feel a better solution would have been to increase the radius to 40' if you are worried about it being too powerful in PvP, or make hostile players reducethe bonus by 10% instead of 5%
  • Options
    hamletswordshamletswords Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,320 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2014
    shamgar4 wrote: »
    HR's need to be huge damage, medium survivablity. Improve AOE damage for group love.

I'm actually totally fine if we end up huge damage, medium survivability. I'll need to test these recent buffs but i'm not seeing the "huge damage" part, and you can forget about ANY kind of survivabilty in PVP except for combat HR.

An Archery HR will be way squishier than a CW without even farking constricting arrow to at least stall an opponent!

I do like you're idea of increasing our AOE damage in PVE. The only AOE ability we have is rain of arrows and it's hard to land for any length of time.

Turn thorn ward into a true AOE maybe, or something along those lines. That would really help our damage in PVE and might give us a spot in groups, finally, for the first time ever.
  • Options
    mehguy138mehguy138 Member Posts: 1,803 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    2%? Two percent, are you kidding me??? So now fighting some 1vs1 I would get a 2% more deflection? Overkill. This. Is. A pure. Overkill. Nerf Aspect of the Lone Wolf to give 15% DR decreasing by 3% for every enemy within 15/20/25 feet.

There is a HUGE difference between players who don't and do use the aspect. When I strike a HR as a CW, I can clearly see if he uses that or not, because HRs without the aspect are getting EXPLODED, I hit such HR for ridiculous numbers (20k+ Icy Rays) and think "what a moron, how did he expect to survive without the aspect". This passive is strong and I myself demanded a nerf almost a half a year ago, but this was caused by combination of high damage and high survivability. Split Shot and Fox Shift got nerfed.

HR is not a striker, he's a fighter, look at his damage. He has no survivability mechanics beside having high DR as long as his dodges don't dodge anything.
    M6 almost drains your soul given how boring it is. (c) joocycuzzzzzz
  • Options
    lirithiellirithiel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    edited July 2014

GC just change the name while you're at it please. Makes no sense now and the ability has been pigeon-holed into Combat because no self-respecting Archer will touch that feature with a 60ft barge pole now. Archers have ZERO survivability now, good job!
    Our pain is self chosen.

The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    mehguy138 wrote: »
    2%? Two percent, are you kidding me??? So now fighting some 1vs1 I would get a 2% more deflection? Overkill. This. Is. A pure. Overkill. Nerf Aspect of the Lone Wolf to give 15% DR decreasing by 3% for every enemy within 15/20/25 feet.

There is a HUGE difference between players who don't and do use the aspect. When I strike a HR as a CW, I can clearly see if he uses that or not, because HRs without the aspect are getting EXPLODED, I hit such HR for ridiculous numbers (20k+ Icy Rays) and think "what a moron, how did he expect to survive without the aspect". This passive is strong and I myself demanded a nerf almost a half a year ago, but this was caused by combination of high damage and high survivability. Split Shot and Fox Shift got nerfed.

HR is not a striker, he's a fighter, look at his damage. He has no survivability mechanics beside having high DR as long as his dodges don't dodge anything.

Yeah it's really insane the difference I notice if I queue for PVP after doing dailies and forget to toggle back on Aspect of the Lone Wolf.

I'll have to make a note for future reference that any originally proposed buffs to a class will eventually be heavy-handed nerfs, and vise-versa.
  • Options
    futuunfutuun Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Aspect of the Lone Wolf... it will be useless now.
    You want replace our 20% DR to 2% deflect chance (in 1vs1 situations)?
    Who would want that s*it? :cool:
    Let's recap all mod 4 changes:
    • Aspect of the Lone Wolf useless
    • Constricting Arrow useless
    • Grasping Roots useless
    • PvP set bonus useless
    • all good feats from combat tree are gone.. this new looks like bad joke...
    good job devs -_-"
    0LQASjV.png
  • Options
    stah01stah01 Member Posts: 540 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    AotW nerf actually comes from extensive playtesting. The new theory on it is the more alone you feel in combat (i.e. surrounded) the more visciously you fight. And straight up providing 20% flat damage resistance when 1v1 (in pve or pvp) put most rangers in fighter defensive territory. Given that I would rather tune this way back and see how hard the trees get hit and then tune them accordingly. It was proving to be a big crutch in all veins of play (my natural 1~BiS playthrough I almost never took it off my bar because it was so good, this is a huge warning flag). Getting their survivability in the right place is just too difficult with the way AotW was, so changing it now (and buffing or nerfing the new incarnation accordingly) will let us tune it correctly rather than delaying it even further.

I understand what he is saying and to his defense this is not what will be in mod4 and wants us to test it. I still dont agree and think the hit is too drastic but we need to test.

OT - Dude... you called us tree's. I almost didnt catch that. lol. If we are tree's go back to calling it Nature and not Trapper. Nature is better =P
    GShBCGl.jpg
  • Options
    gentlemancrushgentlemancrush Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 445 Cryptic Developer
    edited July 2014
    stah01 wrote: »
    I understand what he is saying and to his defense this is not what will be in mod4 and wants us to test it. I still dont agree and think the hit is too drastic but we need to test.

OT - Dude... you called us tree's. I almost didnt catch that. lol. If we are tree's go back to calling it Nature and not Trapper. Nature is better =P

I meant feat trees :P not "trees" as in "foresters". Since each of them will respond differently to the change. I could absolutely see this becoming 4% deflect chance per nearby foe with a max of 20% bonus deflect chance. Maybe even higher. But if it was the ONLY thing allowing archers to survive that is a problem that needs to be solved a little more broadly than having a single class feature be the only way to not faceplant.
  • Options
    mehguy138mehguy138 Member Posts: 1,803 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I could absolutely see this becoming 4% deflect chance per nearby foe with a max of 20% bonus deflect chance. Maybe even higher. But if it was the ONLY thing allowing archers to survive that is a problem that needs to be solved a little more broadly than having a single class feature be the only way to not faceplant.

Immortal. Better make it 10% deflection plus 1% for every enemy around up to 15% since you removed deflection altogether from the combat tree.
    M6 almost drains your soul given how boring it is. (c) joocycuzzzzzz
  • Options
    syn100syn100 Member Posts: 137 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2014
    futuun wrote: »
    Aspect of the Lone Wolf... it will be useless now.
    You want replace our 20% DR to 2% deflect chance (in 1vs1 situations)?
    Who would want that s*it? :cool:
    Let's recap all mod 4 changes:
    • Aspect of the Lone Wolf useless
    • Constricting Arrow useless
    • Grasping Roots useless
    • PvP set bonus useless
    • all good feats from combat tree are gone.. this new looks like bad joke...
    good job devs -_-"

Add at the list of useless Binding Arrow... in mod 3 the "rubberband" of Bind Arrow agaist melee for archery spec was better of Costrict Arrow... now is 1 sec root (single target... theorical root in line enemies) as Costrict Arrow.
    HR Syncro - The Equalizer - PvP stats: 10000/4800 (kills/deaths)
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    I meant feat trees :P not "trees" as in "foresters". Since each of them will respond differently to the change. I could absolutely see this becoming 4% deflect chance per nearby foe with a max of 20% bonus deflect chance. Maybe even higher. But if it was the ONLY thing allowing archers to survive that is a problem that needs to be solved a little more broadly than having a single class feature be the only way to not faceplant.

You're right, it is a problem that needs to be solved more broadly.

There should be more survivability baked into Powers & Heroic Feats or we should do more DPS.

Though given that GWFs get to do DPS, Survivability AND CC, I don't know why HRs can't, too. 'cause right now it looks like it's "Pick 1, except 2/3 options are instantly outclassed" for Mod 4.
  • Options
    dheffernandheffernan Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 216 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    For the record, I never used Aspect of the Wolf on my HR, an Archery major. As far I knew it didn't even work. I never really felt my survival per se was at issue. By which I mean my (e.g.) CW had an easier time with most encounters but that was because he killed things faster.

To be honest I haven't even tried majoring in Combat in either of its incarnations. My HR currently does have the Advanced Stalking feat (and whatever I had to take to get there, which is so insignificant I can't remember what it was) but that's it. HR melee abilities seem to me to be too anemic, except for Fox Shift, and I don't think that's something that can be fixed with feats. One might similarly argue ranged abilities are equally anemic when compared to CWs or SWs. This has to be the case since the class can switch-hit. It was designed to fight at melee and range and that means any play approach that concentrates on one or the other is Doing It Wrong. I've tried out the new Archery tree on PTS against mod4 enemies and was reasonably satisfied with its performance, though one of my usual tactics (Fox Shift followed quickly by Hindering Strikes) doesn't work nearly as well because of the Grasping Roots change. That's a corner case though; Grasping Roots as it stands is a dubious mechanic at best. And despite the fact that I am now the proud owner of a set of Profound Archer's armor (because I just gave up on Black Ice), I really don't give a frog's fat rump about what happens in PvP. No MMO has ever produced a working, balanced PvP system and Neverwinter will not be the first.

Frankly the whole HR feat system just doesn't make sense to me. Instead of Range, Melee and Stupid Ranger Tricks (Nature/Trapper) the trees should be Damage, Survival and Hybrid, possibly with Control replacing Survival. But that ship has sailed.
    @Venture-1 @Venture from City of Heroes if you remember that far back. Yes, *that* Venture. Yes, I probably trashed your MA arc. For me it was Tuesday.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    But if it was the ONLY thing allowing archers to survive that is a problem that needs to be solved a little more broadly than having a single class feature be the only way to not faceplant.

I really am against the change to Aspect of the Lone Wolf; however I can see that you are willing to work with us so please consider this.

The Archer Path is designed to deal maximum damage from range; at range she/he should have the advantage. She/he should be harder to hit with spells and ranged attacks because of their advantageous position. Feats and encounters that support this logic are, e.g. Aspect of the Falcon/Stillness of the Forest/Hawk Shot.

On the flip side, the Archer should be on the back burner when rushed and although they can wield a blade, they are not masters of close combat like the Melee HR.

With this is mind if you were to change the feat (again I'm not for it) what about this?

AotLW gives a large amount of bonus Deflect (20 - 25%) if no enemies are within max bow range (80' - 85').
    As this gap is closed or more PC/NPC come closer they are much easier to hit and the bonus Deflect drops significantly to the point that if they surrounded there will be no bonus.

With regards to the other trees this will help with the lack of any CC break, allowing them to be safer while retreating from close combat.

Now I do not play a Melee HR however if this would not go down with that crowd because in turn they too lose out with this change above, why not give us a feat in each tree that lets it behave differently. I'm sure there are at least 2 feats in each tree that could be removed for this.

Please consider this idea and try not to bottle neck us into another version of the current Melee Pathfinder in PVP.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    AotLW gives a large amount of bonus Deflect (20 - 25%) if no enemies are within max bow range (80' - 85')
    what do you have to deflect at 80' 85'? makes no sense
  • Options
    mircalla83mircalla83 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 36
    edited July 2014
    AotLW doesn't give Deflection, it gives Damage Resistance. And for everyone who gets into Melee Range, this bonus is axed by 5%.
    So the 'It gives Deflect' Drivel can be disregarded.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    rayrdan wrote: »
    what do you have to deflect at 80' 85'? makes no sense

Well, most CW spells are 80' range and with Far Spell feated 90'.

Whilst I can appreciate that you may not know this, please don't assume that I don't know what I'm talking about.

Is that all you took from my post? No wonder why we are where we are.
  • Options
    dheffernandheffernan Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 216 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    AotLW doesn't give Deflection, it gives Damage Resistance. And for everyone who gets into Melee Range, this bonus is axed by 5%.

The upcoming new version gives Deflect instead. Might want to keep up with the times.
    @Venture-1 @Venture from City of Heroes if you remember that far back. Yes, *that* Venture. Yes, I probably trashed your MA arc. For me it was Tuesday.