test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Cryptic OFFICIAL Feedback Thread: Hunter Ranger

Comments

• voltomeyvoltomey Member Posts: 1,052 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    dheffernan play to 60 and see how Stag/Oak/Fox work at 39 you really have no idea how a 60 ranger will function in a party you haven't even hit some of the best powers. (Fox in particular, I was skeptical about it until I started using it).

Consider this;
    Before the fight give every party member 2k temp hp and make the first on attack miss everyone and during the fight debuff the elite interrupt the elite and give everyone CA while doing good (just behind CW) DPS as well as restoring those temps and giving the 100% dodge.

No you are not going to replace the DC, but replace the 2nd CW, no problems.

You put it in better words then i could man i mite make a new thread this one its getting cluttered again with unrelated topics. Any way Also note when you give temp points if you have con guardian in your group that's a automatic 15% dmg boost for him if he has wrathful warriors feat as well as a cleric deepstone blessing 10% more healing. Aspect of pack will also trigger Vicious advantage on instigator GWF and Berserk vitality AND Underhanded tactics on TR Also. No one even bothers to see how much synergy this class can string together is quite sad.
    xmousepadx wrote: »
    No just no

Think outside the box and stop trolling
    Gang Busters PvP Guild Recruiting When Mod 6 goes live Pm Me for more Info If you have any Paladin question Message Me and i will get back to you ASAP
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • obsidiancran3obsidiancran3 Member Posts: 1,823 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    No just no

Ok so my experience is having played all the t2s including CN, Dwarf King's & Epic DV with CW and all but those 3 with GWF/DC and Karru/SP/ToS with GF plus most T1s with a TR (I messed her up but will move to t2 soon when I can respec her on Friday).

A good HR easily replaces the 2nd CW (and in SP easily fills "generic DPS" if you cannot bump enough with a CW and a DC).
    Obsidian Moonlight - Paladin
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
    A whole lot of other Obsidian toons as well.
  • xmousepadxxmousepadx Member Posts: 381 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    Ok so my experience is having played all the t2s including CN, Dwarf King's & Epic DV with CW and all but those 3 with GWF/DC and Karru/SP/ToS with GF plus most T1s with a TR (I messed her up but will move to t2 soon when I can respec her on Friday).

A good HR easily replaces the 2nd CW (and in SP easily fills "generic DPS" if you cannot bump enough with a CW and a DC).

Play with a good/godly cw and ull never replace him/her!
    Pretty sure u only played with medicore ones since u even mention t1 dungeons.
    edited November 2013
    voltomey wrote: »
    You put it in better words then i could man i mite make a new thread this one its getting cluttered again with unrelated topics. Any way Also note when you give temp points if you have con guardian in your group that's a automatic 15% dmg boost for him if he has wrathful warriors feat as well as a cleric deepstone blessing 10% more healing. Aspect of pack will also trigger Vicious advantage on instigator GWF and Berserk vitality AND Underhanded tactics on TR Also. No one even bothers to see how much synergy this class can string together is quite sad.

Think outside the box and stop trolling

And no im not trolling just nothing more to say! I feel sry for u that u never played with a godly cw!
    If u only played with entangle, icy terrain cw's not my fault they are bad and yes HR could replace them but every class could do that.
    Also saying fox's cunning can save ppl from ****ing up ye have fun timing it when u know they will fail.
    I have a better advice for u, play with ppl that arent bad.
    edited November 2013
    And no im not trolling just nothing more to say! I feel sry for u that u never played with a godly cw!
    If u only played with entangle, icy terrain cw's not my fault they are bad and yes HR could replace them but every class could do that.
    Also saying fox's cunning can save ppl from ****ing up ye have fun timing it when u know they will fail.
    I have a better advice for u, play with ppl that arent bad.

LMFAO I am a CW Main Havic Storm GF secondary Havic Stone i feel sorry for you for being so narrow minded and thinking all PvE content in this game has to be done with a specific set up. Any way i run in guild groups to many bad pugs but i will say vent and coordination are some of the best advantages in a MMO can make any class seem godly. Give me videos of your godly CW carrying a extremely bad CN pug then get back to me.

Back on topic FC dose not require precision timing all you need is a careful understanding of boss attacks and rotations and field awareness There are so many ways you can shed the CD of this skill for consistent use its not even funny. Royal Guard High Int Its feat in nature Tree Recovery Agile Hunter Stormstep/Disrupting combo plz. A little advice Stop trolling its getting quite pathetic
    Gang Busters PvP Guild Recruiting When Mod 6 goes live Pm Me for more Info If you have any Paladin question Message Me and i will get back to you ASAP
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2013
    Play with a good/godly cw and ull never replace him/her!
    Pretty sure u only played with medicore ones since u even mention t1 dungeons.

Maybe you should read the post you are replying to so you understand it.

I don't have much to say really, but the community culture of "moar CW" is actually not conducive to a better game experience for all players. Thank whoever you like that my guild isn't so blind and instead takes teams that will beat the dungeon not just CWs and DCs first. Maybe that's why I've done t2 with every class but TR and HR and understand the dungeon needs from a full range of perspectives and as such remain confident that a HR can replace the second CW.
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
    edited November 2013
    Maybe you should read the post you are replying to so you understand it.

I don't have much to say really, but the community culture of "moar CW" is actually not conducive to a better game experience for all players. Thank whoever you like that my guild isn't so blind and instead takes teams that will beat the dungeon not just CWs and DCs first. Maybe that's why I've done t2 with every class but TR and HR and understand the dungeon needs from a full range of perspectives and as such remain confident that a HR can replace the second CW.

Well if u dont care about min/max that would work yes, but a HR will never be as good as a cw.
    And ''beating'' a dunegon isnt rly an achievement!
    U can beat a dungeon with 1 dc and 4HR's!
    edited November 2013
    LMFAO I am a CW Main Havic Storm GF secondary Havic Stone i feel sorry for you for being so narrow minded and thinking all PvE content in this game has to be done with a specific set up. Any way i run in guild groups to many bad pugs but i will say vent and coordination are some of the best advantages in a MMO can make any class seem godly. Give me videos of your godly CW carrying a extremely bad CN pug then get back to me.

Back on topic FC dose not require precision timing all you need is a careful understanding of boss attacks and rotations and field awareness There are so many ways you can shed the CD of this skill for consistent use its not even funny. Royal Guard High Int Its feat in nature Tree Recovery Agile Hunter Stormstep/Disrupting combo plz. A little advice Stop trolling its getting quite pathetic

U can play a dunegon with me and u'll see!
    Anyway first why would u play with bad pugs?
    Second show me any other class that can carry a group full of bad ppl!

And again i'm not trolling, it's not my fault that ur trying to make a medicore class look over average!
    And maybe u are one of those entangle icy terrian cw's that still believe renegade is the way to go.
    I dont wanna flame anyone but the fact that u try to convince ppl that a HR brings VERY good stuff to a group is just laughable.
    And yes u can do the **** dungeons with every setup u want to do but if u bring a HR over a CW it's not min/maxed!
    At this point of the game it's not about IF u can beat a dungeon but how fast u can do it!
    If u still care about IF u can beat a dungeon ur either new to the game or month behind.

And even pugs will agree with me, i bet that no one is going to look for a ranger for any dungeon, same as it is for gwf and gf!

Anyway let's get back to topic!
    edited November 2013
    U can play a dunegon with me and u'll see!
    Anyway first why would u play with bad pugs?
    Second show me any other class that can carry a group full of bad ppl!

<image removed>

I was assuming you could carry a pug with out vent or TS because your obviously godly again Vent TS good communication and jelling among teammates you can get any thing done. OK mode there's nothing more to see here. The difference between us is like night and day you want world records for fastest dungeon run i just want it done so i can go off to something more important/productive yeah were done here lmfao mode plz delete all the unnecessary bull**** in this thread for the last few pages this made my day.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2013
    I was assuming you could carry a pug with out vent or TS because your obviously godly again Vent TS good communication and jelling among teammates you can get any thing done. OK mode there's nothing more to see here. The difference between us is like night and day you want world records for fastest dungeon run i just want it done so i can go off to something more important/productive yeah were done here lmfao mode plz delete all the unnecessary bull**** in this thread for the last few pages this made my day.[/QUOTE]

Yes we see the things different that's all about it!
    That has nothing to do with flame or trolling.
    And since i know u dont care about min/max, which is ur personal preference and i'm fine with that, i would agree with u that a HR can replace a second cw to beat a dungeon, since that's the thing u care about.
    If u clear the dungeon with a min/maxed setup u could do those important things even faster :P
    Anyway have a nice day!
    edited November 2013
    Yes we see the things different that's all about it!
    That has nothing to do with flame or trolling.
    And since i know u dont care about min/max, which is ur personal preference and i'm fine with that, i would agree with u that a HR can replace a second cw to beat a dungeon, since that's the thing u care about.
    If u clear the dungeon with a min/maxed setup u could do those important things even faster :P
    Anyway have a nice day!
    I could also just skip group and get to my personal agenda even faster then that not like i need gear right
    Seriously though Lets move along
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    mod note: let's stay on topic please. this is a feedback thread for the hunter ranger. remember to focus on the post, not the poster. respect each other and each other's opinions. repeatedly attacking everyone's opposing opinions is called power posting and is not allowed. accusing each other of flaming/trolling is considered trolling. just because someone disagrees with you, that's not necessarily trolling. sometimes it's all in the delivery. continued violations of the forum rules of conduct in this thread may be forwarded to the community managers for severe action.

and besides... this goes live in five days. if you have no more feedback to provide the developers, please move on to other threads. thanks.

do not respond to this moderation notice. instead, send a PM to the community moderators and/or the community managers to discuss it.
    edited November 2013
    melodywhr wrote: »
    and besides... this goes live in five days. if you have no more feedback to provide the developers, please move on to other threads. thanks.

Truth is at this point with no ability to respec and no sign the long addressed issues are being resolved (Seismic bug, Lone Wolf not working in the main) and no responses in a long time by a dev to the thread I don't see much to talk about.

Those of us arguing pointlessly know the problems, the only thing we have left is arguing quality of class because at this point it very much looks like what we have is what we'll be getting in 5 days.

Yet I'm still slogging away at my Dwarf HR to see how it works so I can give the community feedback in 5 days.
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
  • dheffernandheffernan Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 216 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    dheffernan play to 60 and see how Stag/Oak/Fox work at 39 you really have no idea how a 60 ranger will function in a party you haven't even hit some of the best powers.

Those powers don't look very impressive based on their descriptions and a HR concentrating on them isn't going to be dealing much in the way of damage since his Encounter slots will be filled with buffs. 2K temp HP? That's what, two hits from yard trash in an elite dungeon?
    @Venture-1 @Venture from City of Heroes if you remember that far back. Yes, *that* Venture. Yes, I probably trashed your MA arc. For me it was Tuesday.
  • mio1968mio1968 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 46
    edited December 2013
    1 If you going for the most optimal archer you're gonna want to do melee dmg to shorten the recharge of your ranged skills The 2 combat feats Agile Hunter and seeker will only speed up your archery build and provide you more dodges. Note its worth the time to MS in and blow off a fox shift as it hits multiple times i find in a archery build fox shift/Cunning and ME/MS will be your two bread and butter skills they can both hit hard and have major utility that cant be beat. Also 3 of the archery feats effect melee also so chances of your melee skills critting is high.

I am not so sure. Mind you, we are talking under ideal circumstances, so being at max range with mobs held by a tank. While your ranged encounters are recharging, the options are split shot with a 20% range boost and crits lowering your cds further, or venture in, fox shift etc, and jump out again. My melee spec fox shift with a perfect vorpal crits for 5k on average. For a ranged spec, it'll be around 4k. I believe just staying at range with split shot is probably more dps.
    edited December 2013
    dheffernan wrote: »
    Those powers don't look very impressive based on their descriptions and a HR concentrating on them isn't going to be dealing much in the way of damage since his Encounter slots will be filled with buffs. 2K temp HP? That's what, two hits from yard trash in an elite dungeon?

Yup that's what I thought when I read the powers. Then I leveled, got them and changed my mind.
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
  • j0shi82j0shi82 Member Posts: 622 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Yeah, lack of respec really hurts right now. I actually stopped leveling my HR although I wanted to bring him to 60 during XP weekend, but figured it wasn't worth the effort. You can't try builds so what's the point?
  • angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I see some fascinating insight and opinion up to now; vis-a-vis: Ranged versus Melee versus Hybrid specs and all that.

I also have seen a couple comments that a ranged or melee spec is "not playing as intended" (playing a hybrid spec is playing as "intended") - to which my general thought and reply is: that's BS. Speccing for ranged -or- melee superiority is also "playing as intended" the way I see it or the Devs would have limited this ability (speccing to favor one stance over the other).

It also is pretty apparent to me that a large part of the recent discussion (yesterday and today) seem to come from highly-biased perspectives and the debate appears centered on whether group-play (party) will or will not want an HR based on how they're spec'd and what their contribution to the party will will be.

I don't think there is any wrong way to spec an HR. Rather, there is a right way to spec an HR based on your end-goal of play style. For me: that will be solo play and hence the "ranged spec" is what I'll be considering the most. Does this make me wrong? Considering I don't care about party-play?

What I'm trying to say is this: The debate is providing massively-useful information to me in terms of what the HR is like when spec'd a certain way. I just wish there wasn't so much "UR Rong Dimwit!" type banter mixed-in.

So I am asking the thread: please continue giving your feedback. But rather than all the "this is the best way" type comments, how about saying the same thing, but phrase it as "this is one way to do it" and "here is how that compares to this other way to do it" and "the reason why parties might (or might not) consider this a good thing". None of these is "wrong" I think. Everyone has different play style and end-goals. What's right for you may not be for me and vice-versa.

Just saying.
    ~shrugs~

OH - P.S.: Did the devs quietly fix some of the interrupts and not mention it in release notes? If they did, I missed it, but many of my encounter powers that would (infuriatingly) be interrupted and go on cool down without firing seems to not do that anymore. I mean to say: it is still interrupted (Rain of Arrows for example) - but at least it does't go into cool down, so I can still fire it off after the interruption is completed. Maybe it's my imagination, but I'm pretty darned sure this is what is happening now.
  • dheffernandheffernan Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 216 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I don't think there is any wrong way to spec an HR. Rather, there is a right way to spec an HR based on your end-goal of play style. For me: that will be solo play and hence the "ranged spec" is what I'll be considering the most. Does this make me wrong?

Yes, because if you are working solo you are going to end up in melee most of the time whether you like it or not.
    @Venture-1 @Venture from City of Heroes if you remember that far back. Yes, *that* Venture. Yes, I probably trashed your MA arc. For me it was Tuesday.
    edited December 2013
    dheffernan wrote: »
    Yes, because if you are working solo you are going to end up in melee most of the time whether you like it or not.

I do end up in melee a lot of the time. But I find the split-shot with three charges manages to wipe-out most minion-level trash before they get too close, so I'm able to stay in ranged stance a lot. That, and the marauder's escape keeps me out mobs relatively well. I find I am switching to Melee perhaps about 15 to 20% of my combat time. So, with this (my own) play style, the ranged-spec suits very well.

And that is where this thread has proven valuable to me because I am not a min-maxer, but more casual type of player. It's all helpful information. However, I also can see and understand the desire to go with a melee-spec and hybrid spec.

:)
  • caexarcaexar Member Posts: 355 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    none of my posts were meant to be inflammatory at all. I was just addressing the overall notion that the class is somehow broken or needs fixing based upon my own experience with it which is quite the opposite. I have come to find that the class seems a bit overpowered in some aspects.

that said hear some more feedback hindering shot should have each individual charge taken off of the cool down before you're able to shoot it again. it should be spammable an able to target multiple creatures in the same manner that impact shot can. This will make it so that ranged spec Rangers have an easier time controlling larger groups.
    Threat level 60 Guardian Fighter
    Gloom level 60 Control Wizard
    Dusk level 60 Trickster Rogue
    Dawn level 60 Devoted Cleric
    Eclipse level 60 Hunter Ranger
    Wrath level 60 Great Weapon Fighter
    Jinx level 60 Scourge Warlock
    edited December 2013
    caexar wrote: »
    none of my posts were meant to be inflammatory at all. I was just addressing the overall notion that the class is somehow broken or needs fixing based upon my own experience with it which is quite the opposite. I have come to find that the class seems a bit overpowered in some aspects.

that said hear some more feedback hindering shot should have each individual charge taken off of the cool down before you're able to shoot it again. it should be spammable an able to target multiple creatures in the same manner that impact shot can. This will make it so that ranged spec Rangers have an easier time controlling larger groups.

I like Hindering Shot, but my (admittedly: perceived) experience with it is that it's effect seems to be delayed... that is to say: I use it at a very long range and I can see the slow-down of the big guy (think Spellplague Tower and the berserkers here). However, if at medium range: there is no effect, no slow-down at all. I'm not referring to those encounters that red-spot you and "leap" at you, but rather those that just run at you. I also understand this is low-level area and that things can change like crazy at higher levels (I never go past level twenty on Preview - too much grinding for nought the way I see it) :)

I don't know if this encounter power is working as intended or not.

Oh, I suppose I'll turn the above blue so the Devs spot it as feedback. :)
    edited December 2013
    angrysprite don't worry Weak Grasping Roots never gets any better.

Has anyone gone 5/5 in the feat that gives Hawkeye strong grasping roots (pips x 10%)?
    I'm at 3/5 and using Hawkeye as my opener and I don't think I've seen it proc. (I will go shoot targets as well but figured I'd see if anyone has exp already.)

angrysprite I'm like you 80-100% of the time for encounters I'm in ranged, when I run Serpent I see it sitting there with 5 melee stacks for most encounters simply because I don't need to change and then I'm not sure that it doesn't burn off melee stacks before gaining archery ones. As a result I stick with powers that have melee buffs or solid attack effects in both stances (at least until Fox's), this way I get the 5s buff for stance switching at the start of fights (and for tough fights for rebuffing during them) and maintain higher base DPS through them, that's my experience with Archery and Nature spec so far.

Note for Archery spec I'm looking at 10 points into melee to get the 1s off cooldown for stance jumping, but cannot test until I can respec my 60, while for Nature I'm looking at points in Archery to boost the shooty :).

I'm looking forward to getting a HR discussion area up in the main forums as well :).
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
  • trampsvktrampsvk Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Has anyone gone 5/5 in the feat that gives Hawkeye strong grasping roots (pips x 10%)?
    I'm at 3/5 and using Hawkeye as my opener and I don't think I've seen it proc. (I will go shoot targets as well but figured I'd see if anyone has exp already.)

I tried it before the Hawk shot was "fixed" and then it worked just fine ... but after fixing Hawk shot I don't use this skill anymore ...
  • kaiserschmarrnkaiserschmarrn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 390
    edited December 2013
    Any ideas which race to pick for a min/max build ? I'm currently leaning towards an 18 Wis, 18 Dex Wood Elf.
  • werealchemistwerealchemist Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Any ideas which race to pick for a min/max build ? I'm currently leaning towards an 18 Wis, 18 Dex Wood Elf.

that's what i had planned on
    21.jpg
    edited December 2013
    that's what i had planned on

It depends on what kind of build you want cause atm HR is the only class that can benefit from Attribute outside its normal primary Three stats imho i already tested several builds for the class with Attributes like Intelligence and charisma.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kaiserschmarrnkaiserschmarrn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 390
    edited December 2013
    It depends on what kind of build you want cause atm HR is the only class that can benefit from Attribute outside its normal primary Three stats imho i already tested several builds for the class with Attributes like Intelligence and charisma.

I was wondering about that. I also have a Tiefling DC with 14 in Int and it certainly helps with the recovery.

For an Archery dps/crit build I think the Wood Elf is hard to beat, for a melee Ranger I would probably go halfling or human. Half Elf might also be a good choice if you want a melee crit hybrid and pump con a little maybe.

With the generally long cooldowns on all encounters I think Int would definitely help, I hope I get some time to test this at least a little before thursday, too bad double xp ends in 1-2 hours.

I'm only 35 now and in Helm's Deep, with a level 20 blue bow from the AD vendor in Protector's and murdering devils left and right. On my TR and CW Helm's Deep was the first zone where I had to pay at least a tiny bit of attention compared to the easier "hold button" zones before. The devils and imps are the first mobs which can hurt a bit and this was the first time my other chars felt at least a little mortal instead of godlike. With the Ranger it's an entirely different experience...where other classes felt weaker for the first time, the Ranger actually feels stronger.

Also: Electric Arrow vs Split Shot...is there even a contest here between these 2 at-wills ? Split Shot is so vastly superior in terms of aoe range and damage that Electric Arrows just feels pitiful. The only reason to take this would be the 360
    edited December 2013
    ...continued ...(weird, is there a letter limit per post)...

...360 aoe of Clear the Ground, if you go for a melee build, but Split Strike can make up for that with proper positioning and the higher damage.
  • werealchemistwerealchemist Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    ...continued ...(weird, is there a letter limit per post)...

you cant use the symbol for degree
    21.jpg
This discussion has been closed.