test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Cryptic OFFICIAL Feedback Thread: Hunter Ranger

Comments

• dreamhuntressxdreamhuntressx Member Posts: 453 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    holsac wrote: »
    Hunter Rangers already have 80 range (I know of no other power that goes past the 80 range) on their range attacks.

CW's Thaumaturge feat tree, third row, Far Spell: "Increase the range of your Magic Missile and Chill Strike powers by 2/4/6/8/10ft". Just if u missed this one, but yes it doesnt apply to all powers, but to the ones most used.
    Leanan Sidhe (not "The Dresde Files" fairy!) - NW Legit Channel Moderator
  • ipwnu1ipwnu1 Member Posts: 89
    edited November 2013
    This might not belong in the thread but will there be weapons available for Hunter Ranger from the Dark Forest Equipment Arsenal boxes? I opened 12 and didn't receive any so I'm assuming they are not in the game atm
  • ipwnu1ipwnu1 Member Posts: 89
    edited November 2013
    The range on Shift is a bit too low, sometimes it doesn't get you out of the way of basic melee abilities sometimes requiring to shift twice in a row to avoid 1 melee attack and perhaps this was a bug but I believe I received damage while being "inside" the shifting action
  • rabbinicusrabbinicus Member Posts: 1,822 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    ipwnu1 wrote: »
    This might not belong in the thread but will there be weapons available for Hunter Ranger from the Dark Forest Equipment Arsenal boxes? I opened 12 and didn't receive any so I'm assuming they are not in the game atm

I would imagine not, as Greycloak's weapons also haven't spawned for HR's yet.
    The right to command is earned through duty, the privilege of rank is service.

edited November 2013
    ipwnu1 wrote: »
    The range on Shift is a bit too low, sometimes it doesn't get you out of the way of basic melee abilities sometimes requiring to shift twice in a row to avoid 1 melee attack and perhaps this was a bug but I believe I received damage while being "inside" the shifting action

Exactly, it need some perfect timing to really dodge anything, although it's more a mobility utility power than a dodge power, but i do agreed with u, maybe it should have somewhat a slight increase of the time u'll be immune to attacks during the dodging action, maybe 0.5 sec rather than 0.1 sec... Idk.
  • viledeeds77#8676 viledeeds77 Member Posts: 393 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Here is my feedback for the Hunter Ranger, note I have only played it to level 8 but will resume playing it later on today.

After speaking to Lt. Linkletter and going into the wild to fight it pops a tooltip that you press TAB to swap between Ranged and Melee but Rangers, like other classes, don't get their TAB ability until level 10, that can be misleading.

When viewing paths in the level up menu it shows the tooltip for Electric shot on both it and Clear the Ground and Split the Sky also shows its tooltip for Throw Caution. There is also no art to the left of the power and class feature descriptions.

The art for ranger weapons from level 1 to level 6 is missing from the boxes representing these items in your inventory or in the quest windows.

So far like I said I have played to level 8 but I have yet to find any ranger specific weapons, armor, ect. from chests or drops. I'm not sure if they are in game yet or haven't been turned on to drop off monsters and from chests.....

I will play it more and report back later.

Overall I am happy with the Ranger, it is very fun to play and different than any of the other classes. There are a few animation quirks that seem to be a timing or speed of the animations for a couple powers but all in all I'm having fun with the class.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • xandria68xandria68 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 42
    edited November 2013

I love the new class. I have not seen any bugs so far but I've only leveled up to level 10. I don't know if I want to get much higher than that on the preview server because I do not want to get burnt out before it is officially released. ;) I'm looking forward to this expansion. Thanks for the great work so far.
    @Xandria68

Characters: Raevyn Martok, Xiomara Silverstar, & Xandria Ma'Litoff

@Xandria268
    Characters: Avigayle Silveroak, & Jinx Brimstone

I am Xan. Xan I am.
  • rhoricrhoric Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    faleth77 wrote: »
    So far like I said I have played to level 8 but I have yet to find any ranger specific weapons, armor, ect. from chests or drops. I'm not sure if they are in game yet or haven't been turned on to drop off monsters and from chests.....

I have a lvl 29 ranger. Weapons and armour do drop from mobs. I have even gotten blues from drops. I can't remember if I got anything from regular chests.
  • werealchemistwerealchemist Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Feedback- Shift
    it is exceedingly hard to dodge attacks using this. i don't mind dodging twice to get out of a red AoE circle but i generally get hit before i can get the second dodge off.
    solutions:

A) speed up the animation.
    B) increase the immunity time

EDIT: i found that you can just hold shift and the direction to continually shift until the stamina runs out but still get hit. (not sure if working as intended)
    21.jpg
    edited November 2013
    Bug(?): Grasping Root vs. Mimics (Idk what to write >.<)
    Mimics aren't immune to the Grasping Root effect. Is this intended? If so, it kills half the fun of fighting these adorable, yet not fully understood beings. :/

EDIT: Actually, any critter with the Unstoppable buff isn't immune to Grasping Root.
  • imaginarealityimaginareality Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I really like the Grasping Roots mechanic, it's a great feature. However there is no mention anywhere of duration. Does Strong / Weak affect this, or the Area of effect (length of the tether), or whether it's possible to break free from it..?
  • katbozejziemikatbozejziemi Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 856 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Dodging is pretty silly right now
    Iimsb3D.gif
    Notice the move itself almost ends before the enemy attack actually starts. If you do it any bit later you will get hit.
  • enzododenzodod Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 38
    edited November 2013
    Iimsb3D.gif
    Notice the move itself almost ends before the enemy attack actually starts. If you do it any bit later you will get hit.

+1 That clip is as mesmerizing to me as the cute kittens on youtube. lol...

But I guess to play this class well, lots of practice is needed, and that might be the intention behind it. It is not suppose to be an easy class to play...
  • rhoricrhoric Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Dodging works fine for me. Lvl 30, have never gone below half health and have never died yet.
  • werealchemistwerealchemist Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Iimsb3D.gif

Aah this explains a lot the timing does seem to be wayy off after seeing this I have been able to successfully dodge much more often.
    But this needs to be fixed IMO
    21.jpg
  • orangefireeorangefiree Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,148 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    The skill takes too long to cast and is too small of an AoE.
    The casting time needs to be near instaneous because as it stands now if I try to be the mobile fighter I should be I cancel the spell (after the entire animation mind you). Otherwise I end up face tanking more damage than the power deals more often than not.

Furthermore the small AoE effect makes the power less than useful as mobs move out of it immediately just due to the nature of it being a ranged spell on a ranged character. It is just clunky as is.

The concept of the skill is great but in practice it doesn't hold up in low level combat, I can't wait to take it off my bar and I seriously doubt it will be viable in the end game.

I usually use that and change to melee, it ends up doing a lot of damage if I am melee attacking them inside rain of arrows.
    Neverwinter players are stubborn things....until you strip them down to bone. (Cursed players, my flowers, MINE!) Oh how I plotted their demise.
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited November 2013
    I do that as well but the cast animation is still just too long and easily interrupted and if yo try to enter melee range too quickly they'll leave the minuscule effect.
  • obsidiancran3obsidiancran3 Member Posts: 1,823 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Feedback;
    Very pleased with this class to date, lots of nice finesse in playing it.

The main thing seems to be getting tactics worked out for the class (getting there); for example go to melee Maruder's Rush in, hit Hindering, then tab then Maruders back out and run through a ranged attack cycle while the target(s) are held by the grasping roots.
    With Rain of Arrows drop it right in front of you then go melee and fight the mobs in the rain, you can combine this with Thorn Ward as well.

The range increasing class feature seems irrelevant as does Forest Meditation.
    Grasping Roots is poorly explained but testing it carefully reveals how it works.
    The use of the word "mitigation" is unhelpful (in all cases not just HR); what is being mitigated is never explained so it is unclear what things that use mitigation do.
    Obsidian Moonlight - Paladin
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
    A whole lot of other Obsidian toons as well.
  • warzogwarzog Member Posts: 128 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    In general I love the Hunter Ranger, but it could use some improvements:
    1). The melee skills feel like a Trickster Rogue, but gimped beyond belief.
    2). The ranged skills seem a bit gimped when compared to the ones used by the npc snipers and archers.
    3). Forest Ghost seems ridiculous-hide, but hit everything you encounter one time? Unless it lasts a long time, and you are completely invisible to them, isn't that going to draw a ton of agro? Especially for a glass cannon?
    4). Rapid Shot-how about INCREASING the speed of it? It's only faster than Split Shot because you have to hold Split Shot to get it to do ANY damage.
    5). How about reversing Split Shot and Aimed Shot in the list-I.E. start with Rapid Shot and Aimed Shot, with Split Shot earned later? (or make Aimed Shot an Encounter, like the TR's Lashing Blade?)
    6). The grasping root skills don't seem to actually do anything, or if they do, it doesn't last long enough to warrant using them.
    7). The Seismic Shot, while useful, imho should be swapped with the Disruptive Shot daily. Waiting until level 40 is a long time to go without a disrupting skill. (The CW & TR's FIRST Encounters are disrupting skills, at level 3!)
    8). For that matter, Disruptive Shot should be an encounter, and both Thorn Ward & Rain of Arrows should be dailies.
    9). Rain of Arrows is very difficult to use during the heat of battle. If it were a Daily, it would simply attack your target without your having to target the ground. (The effect would be the same, but faster.)

All of my comments are towards the Ranged side of the Hunter Ranger.
    IMHO, if the melee side were more important than the ranged side, I'ld stick with a TR, instead.
    (We already have enough melee dependent types in the game.)

Edit:
    The more I think about it, the Hunter Ranger feels as though you've made a GWF/GF that can aggro without having to run into the fray to do so.
    (Instead of making a Ranger who can defend itself in hand-to-hand, should the occasion arise.)

Edit 2:
    Perhaps I'm looking at it wrong, but I see the Trickster Rogue and the Hunter Ranger as the antithesis of each other:
    That is, the TR uses stealth and melee to damage it's target, with limited ranged abilities.
    The HR uses it's ranged abilities to damage it's target, with limited melee abilities, and uses it's nature abilities (stealth & grasping vines) to evade danger.
    Go for the eyes, Boo! GO FOR THE EYES!!!
    (Where's a Miniature Giant Space Hamster when you need one?)
  • enzododenzodod Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 38
    edited November 2013
    Can anyone explain how the class feature Aspect of the serpent works? Don't really understand the tool tip info.
  • horizonshardhorizonshard Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited November 2013

Just wondering if the ranger has a class specific quest. I have played it up to entering Blackdagger Ruins, and have not encountered a class specific quest. By class specific, I'm referring to quests similar to those that the Trickster Rogue gets from the Cloaked Man. Are there in fact a ranger specific quest chain, or has that been left out?
  • holsacholsac Member Posts: 104 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Power Description: Fire a concussive blast into the ground, causing a shockwave that pulls targets in and damages them
    Description needs to be changed to something along the lines of -
    Fire a concussive blast into the ground, causing a shockwave shooting out from the Ranger Hunter that pulls targets in and damages them.
    edited November 2013
    holsac wrote: »
    Power Description: Fire a concussive blast into the ground, causing a shockwave that pulls targets in and damages them
    Description needs to be changed to something along the lines of -
    Fire a concussive blast into the ground, causing a shockwave shooting out from the Ranger Hunter that pulls targets in and damages them.

My experience with Seismic Shock is that it knocks the target back, not pulls it in. I wonder which is right?
    edited November 2013
    Bug: Power: Boar Charge
    Sometimes, when in combination with Hindering Shot and Constricting Arrow, the prone effect last longer than expected, like 6~7 seconds. Tested in PvE environment. U can figure out what's going to happen in PvP...

EDIT: Proof video, with 10~11 secs prone effect o.O
    http://youtu.be/AztO4Uos9aM
  • obsidiancran3obsidiancran3 Member Posts: 1,823 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Seismic groups them up and then pushes them back.

Grasping definitely works, but the ranged powers (up to level 16) do not work as well with this feature as the melee ones. So because there is no cool down carry over you can drop hindering ar range to slow something (like an orc torturer or ogre, don't use it on fast moving things like Battletested orcs) to get an extra shot into it before it closes. Then when it closes you tab to melee drop hindering again for the strong Grasping then Maruder (or shift 2x) away and start shooting again. Actually learnt this while trying to see if Grasping did anything at all; at one stage I had a beastmaster and his 2 wolves hindered from melee and when I marudered out you could see both the vines vfx and the adds rubber banding as they tried to chase.

On Forest Ghost I don't think it shoots at all, but instead gives a damage buff to attacks you make while using it. Need to check more.
    Obsidian Moonlight - Paladin
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
    A whole lot of other Obsidian toons as well.
    edited November 2013
    The more I play the Hunter Ranger, the more useless it is, to me. I guess I'm just used to the Ranger in DDO, where the Ranger actually has some useful ranged, and melee, skills.
  • matii1509matii1509 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Bug: Feats: Disciple of Dexterity
    Not working, DEX shows same damage bonus.
  • kartaekartae Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Bug:Auction Broker When I did the level 12 quest to go to the Auction Broker, he showed me gear items for a Control Wizard, not a Hunter Ranger.
  • thraexisthraexis Member Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    My feed back

1. i am confused about 1 feat in archer category "split the sky"
    i dont know if this is for split shot or some power that not on the
    list yet.

2. to me i think dodging is little bugged. i am still getting hit
    even know i dodged(shift). but not sure if its due to lag.
  • vinlolvinlol Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    ===Possible Build?===

Since getting 60 on my ranger I found out that encounter damage is terrible, the slots are better off used for utility
    so we should just use At-Will for damage with buffs.

At-wills: Aimed Shot, Split Shot

Encounters: Boar Hide, Binding Arrow, Commanding Shot
    (May consider Hawkshot if Cryptic buffs Hawkeye, right now it's trash)

Dailies: Seismic Shot/Cold Steel Hurricane, Forest Meditation

Passive: Aspect of the Pack, Aspect of the Falcon/Lone Wolf
    (Not sure what to put here, most of the Stormwarden path passives are geared towards melee)

Playstyle is to switch to melee, stack buffs on whoever's taking the most damage, switch back to range and pew pew

Feats will be placed in Nature mostly, because of our buffs - with 5 points spent on Archery (Black Arrow) for ranged pew pew
This discussion has been closed.