Install Arc
Options

Cryptic OFFICIAL Feedback Thread: Hunter Ranger

Comments

• Options
    takei3takei3 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Type: Bug
    Power: Split shot - If you shoot when the bar is charged before the "..." you can move and shoot again without any delay.
  • Options
    umaekoumaeko Member Posts: 845 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Type: Feedback
    Category: Gameplay (animations)

The Hunter Ranger's idle standing animation seems to have the character look down at the floor. It feels really off to me to have an 'archer' character stare at the ground so. This was experienced playing a female wood elf hunter ranger.
    A desirable fix to that could be to simply tilt the chin a few degrees up so that the character might look straight ahead.

Type: Feedback
    Category: Gear (animations)

The positioning of the Hunter Ranger's bow weapon is very jarring to the eye, as it really juts out to the right side of the character. To me it's an unpleasant immersion breaker that's constantly there.
    Desirably, the bow ought to have a more centered position in the character's back to mitigate this. I'd also ask that the bow's stowed position be vertically adjusted in order to be at an equal distance both the character's head and posterior (as is, the bow is very close to the head, but floats conspicuously farther from the lower back).
  • Options
    fondlezfondlez Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Bug: Gameplay: Dodge
    Hunter Ranger cannot dodge without first moving.
  • Options
    synozeersynozeer Member Posts: 185 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Bug: Hindering Shot
    Skill says cooldown is 2.9 seconds, but each charge has a 15 second cooldown.
    Guild: Chocolate Stand | Main: Hzarn (GF)/Danteel (HR) | Watch PvP Videos
  • Options
    markfalconemarkfalcone Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 4
    edited October 2013
    So far I can see one thing I absolutely hate: The way the bow hangs on his back. I understand that will likely not change and it is based on the same mechanics used for shields on Guardian Fighters. Just letting you know, I think it looks extraordinarily dorky hanging there on a pivot on the back instead of up and over the shoulder or at the very least over a quiver to make it look like it is hanging on SOMETHING.

As for being overpowered early on, perhaps. It has the most powerful early AOE I've seen in the game right off the bat. On the other hand, it also has a shorter dodge and the first encounter you get is a dodge and not anything that does damage or increases damage, so to me this should balance things out.

Also not entirely happy with not having a melee to start out with. Was hoping for it. Was hoping to see me being my good ol' character (though changed from a Blade Singer to a Hunter Ranger and even have a storyline that goes along nicely as to why) on the front line with my wife's character shooting from behind, but that's not looking likely. Though that makes me ask: Why the blades early on if no melee until much later? Why not more armor or something?

Moving on, the Founder's Pack is glitched: I cannot open Greycloak's Legacy package due to the error "You already have all of the items in this package". I presume this is due to the same problem as the lack of icons for the weapons: You haven't gotten around to it yet. Bummer, but somewhat expected on the schedule you've made for yourselves. May coffee often last and pizza never run out.

That's all I have so far...
  • Options
    rabbinicusrabbinicus Member Posts: 1,822 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Greycloak's is a known issue that should be resolved.
    The right to command is earned through duty, the privilege of rank is service.

• Options
    rhoricrhoric Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Feedback: The bow seems to be fine where it is. Even tho others don't like it there. Weapons merchant has no weapons for the hunter at lvl 20. Armour Merchant has items for the hunter at 20. Had I not found a blue bow for 20 as a drop, I would be screwed.
  • Options
    baddobb1baddobb1 Member Posts: 123 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    BUG: Guardian packs do not give rare bow like all other classes get with their weapon from guardian packs.

Might be an idea to get this one in, or there will be quite a few annoyed people if this slips through.
  • Options
    ausdoerrtausdoerrt Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Congratulations! You've succeeded at making another unique class that flows well, has versatile build options, and flows well. Cheers!

I've only spent about half an hour with the Hunter, but the class feels a bit unbalanced/OP. The left-click at-will seems very strong (though not OP, but about same as CW magic missile), while right-click AoE at-will is a killer. I'd see adding a longer cooldown to it, or at least limiting the # of targets it can hit (seems unlimited atm).

Bow placement looks awkward (it is hanging in the air half a foot behind the character. The "bow drawn" walking animation looks weird as well (perhaps too slow and also too unwieldy when not walking in a straight line). Dodge animation is too basic as well - the effects are fine, but the character model itself barely moves from the "idle weapon drawn" stance.
  • Options
    gankdalf#8991 gankdalf Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 930 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Will the Ranger have a new profession? Or using an old one?

I dont have lvl 20 Leatherworking or weaponsmith. But the ones who do have them already will make alot of AD the first day. Thats not fair in my eyes. So i hope its gonna be a new profession so everybody has to start on lvl 0.

▁ ▂ ▄ ▅ ▆ ▇ █ Gankdalf The Icehole █ ▇ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▂ ▁

• Options
    khimera906khimera906 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 898 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    ejziponken wrote: »
    Will the Ranger have a new profession? Or using an old one?

I dont have lvl 20 Leatherworking or weaponsmith. But the ones who do have them already will make alot of AD the first day. Thats not fair in my eyes. So i hope its gonna be a new profession so everybody has to start on lvl 0.
    No, there won't be a new profession. The Ranger will use Leatherworking, like Rogues, to craft armor. Also, the Ranger weapons will be crafted with Weaponsmithing like the Fighter and Rogue weapons.
    I don't see anything unfair in this because the people that got their Professions to level 20 had to invest time and AD or real money in those Professions. Also, their profit won't be as great as you think.
    I hate dancing with Lady Luck. She always steps on my toes.
  • Options
    destinyknightdestinyknight Member Posts: 962 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Weapon Merchants:
    Regular weapon merchants such as the merchant in the Seven Sun's do not sell Hunter Bows or blades.
  • Options
    imaginarealityimaginareality Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Just some early impressions:

Feedback: Powers: Split Shot Totally OP in early levels, feels like God Mode, with high damage at range & auto-tracking of moving targets. Feels more like an encounter than an At-Will. Needs a cooldown imo. Also seems weird that it hits multiple targets at different ranges simultaneously.

Feedback: Gameplay Agree with comments about the weird angle that the bow sticks out at. Doesn't look right. Also I don't like that side-on jump / dodge animation. My Ranger looks as though she's constantly about to trip over her own feet.

(edit - this only applies to Range mode. Melee mode looks fine.)

I love the concept, and it's fun to play so far, but the issues mentioned above make it feels somehow unreal, artificial. It's hard to explain this, but playing the Ranger feels like playing a different game to any of the other classes.

Feedback: Feats First impression of the Heroic list is that it just looks like the TR list with some name changes and some things switched around... Paragon lists are interesting though, am definitely looking forward to trying some of those out.
  • Options
    lifesimageslifesimages Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Bug: Hindering Shot
    Skill says cooldown is 2.9 seconds, but each charge has a 15 second cooldown.

I've never seen this before. From 3 charges, I can cast once every ~3 seconds. I believe it's about a 15 sec CD for each charge to come back though. Works as intended IMO.

Re: Split Shot:
    Also seems weird that it hits multiple targets at different ranges simultaneously.

Eh. It's just a conal AoE (pretty sure it's 5 capped though). It's like any other AoE at-will.
  • Options
    umaekoumaeko Member Posts: 845 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Feedback: Powers: Split Shot I do concur with the impression that Split Shot seems powerful at early level.

However, I've noticed the following:
    • A lot of the Hunter Ranger's initial Ranged Encounter Powers are much more utility-oriented. Maurauder's Escape is purely mobility, Hindering Shot's slowdown is barely perceptible and the damage is very 'meh', Rain of Arrows is very impractical to use on moving melee targets (as most will move towards the solo ranger, swiftly moving out of the AoE).
    • With the above in consideration, Split Shot is the sole relatively potent power the Ranger gets until he gets access to melee encounter powers.
    • Rapid Shot, by contrast, is the awkward red-haired stepchild. It doesn't feel all that rapid, and doesn't feel all that damaging. You could call it 'basic arrow attack' and the meaning would still carry through. I use it to finish off weakened single targets (and rarely use it as an opener, as a very narrow Split Shot will do a much better job).
    • At higher level, such as the Tower District, Split Shot's reliability appears to diminish and that's around when weapon switching becomes available for rangers, and Rapid Shot comes more into it's own as the at-will to use to wittle down more powerful foes such as Ogres. My impression is that the problem fixes itself.

In light of the above, I'd recommend strongly against diminishing the potency of Split Shot without a hard look at how the Ranger is going to survive and feel viscerally fun to play otherwise. I get the gut-reaction, but I see Control Wizards being able to topple entire mob groups with a single chill strike in early levels too.
  • Options
    dreamhuntressxdreamhuntressx Member Posts: 453 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Althought it can be seen as rather a powerful at-will, making it interruptible as soon as u get hit makes it kinda useless once u already are in combat. Yes, it can be an entry attack, but maybe it could depletes the casting time bar til the point it interrupts once the bar goes empty due to multiple hits?
    Leanan Sidhe (not "The Dresde Files" fairy!) - NW Legit Channel Moderator
  • Options
    enzododenzodod Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 38
    edited November 2013
    Bug: Weapon: display graphics
    +2 warden's blade of youth (blue) has the graphics of 2 shields. Kind of funny to see the HR slashing with 2 shields. :)

The tool tip is not clear on what kind of skill this is at rank 1. Is it a stun skill? Or a DOT? Or just a normal physical damage skill? It says "Fire an arrow at you opponent, causing vines to constrict around them every few seconds". What does the vines do? Rank 2 and 3 add stun, that part is clearly stated.
  • Options
    orodalforodalf Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    umaeko wrote: »
    Feedback: Powers: Split Shot However, I've noticed the following:
    • Hindering Shot's slowdown is barely perceptible and the damage is very 'meh'.

If you think Hindering Shot's a slowdown, you're using it wrong. Grasping Roots is a tether-- read about it in its description. Hindering Shot applies weak Grasping Roots, which have a longer tether before they start snapping enemies back. Its melee form has string Grasping Roots, which pretty much prevents enemies from moving at all.

And:
    Rain of Arrows is very impractical to use on moving melee targets (as most will move towards the solo ranger, swiftly moving out of the AoE).

That's what Grasping Roots is for. :P And Rain of Arrows is awesome on immobile casters (i.e. Hexer types).
  • Options
    burstdragon323burstdragon323 Member Posts: 818 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Bug: Marauder's Escape
    If you use Marauder's Escape while holding down an at-will attack button, the HR will only dodge backwards about 40% of it's normal distance.

When you move after attacking a target, you still face your target for a second, and move very slowly, as if you are walking. This leads to having to use the short dash {SHIFT} to move, or you will get attacked.
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited November 2013
    The skill takes too long to cast and is too small of an AoE.
    The casting time needs to be near instaneous because as it stands now if I try to be the mobile fighter I should be I cancel the spell (after the entire animation mind you). Otherwise I end up face tanking more damage than the power deals more often than not.

Furthermore the small AoE effect makes the power less than useful as mobs move out of it immediately just due to the nature of it being a ranged spell on a ranged character. It is just clunky as is.

The concept of the skill is great but in practice it doesn't hold up in low level combat, I can't wait to take it off my bar and I seriously doubt it will be viable in the end game.
  • Options
    matii1509matii1509 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Bug: Power: Thorn Ward
    In description it says attack enemies but it attack only 1 enemy.
  • Options
    ausdoerrtausdoerrt Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    The concept of the skill is great but in practice it doesn't hold up in low level combat, I can't wait to take it off my bar and I seriously doubt it will be viable in the end game.
    I'd suggest lower damage but much bigger AoE (similar to rain of arrows in GW2); or same AoE but much more powerful effect (similar to cleric Daunting Light).

Or a creative approach - have a feat in the archery line that doubles/triples the AoE.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Absolutely loving playing this class, thanks!

The weapon switch mechanic is great and supports a wonderful style or more active gameplay than other classes. The versatility is extremely enjoyable.

• Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited November 2013
    ausdoerrt wrote: »
    I'd suggest lower damage but much bigger AoE (similar to rain of arrows in GW2); or same AoE but much more powerful effect (similar to cleric Daunting Light).

Or a creative approach - have a feat in the archery line that doubles/triples the AoE.

Part of my problem is that I am trying to use it like DL. I cast it and dodge...oops cancelled. OK slow down and let the entire animation go and things are beating on me for a good second or so and as soon as I have enough of that and dodge they follow me and leave the effect.
    If it was more like DL (instaneous cast, delayed effect, high burst damage) I would like it a lot.

However I can see this power being much more effective if you have a person actively tanking the add which is the grey area. Is it just bad in solo but outstanding in groups?

I wouldn't advise using feats to increase the AoE, though. It's given too early with too much of a bad first impression to run its course that way. The basic power functions need to be tweaked before that option should be explored.

rabbinicus wrote: »
    Absolutely loving playing this class, thanks!

The weapon switch mechanic is great and supports a wonderful style or more active gameplay than other classes. The versatility is extremely enjoyable.

I agree! I finally started getting the hang of it last night and was quite enjoying the 'bait and switch' style. If the AI could get frustrated it would have been fuming at my crazy in and out combat. Also I started spamming shift like crazy just to re-position more so than dodge and found that extremely effective.
  • Options
    dreamhuntressxdreamhuntressx Member Posts: 453 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    What about the effect 'refresh' in the same position if used more than once in the same target, instead of creating a new 'rooting' position?
    Leanan Sidhe (not "The Dresde Files" fairy!) - NW Legit Channel Moderator
  • Options
    matii1509matii1509 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Bug: Gear: Weapon Merchant
    Weapon Merchant in Protector Enclave don't has items for Ranger.
  • Options
    holsacholsac Member Posts: 104 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Hunter Rangers already have 80 range (I know of no other power that goes past the 80 range) on their range attacks. With this slotted and 3 points in it, the Hunter Ranger will have a range of 93 if I'm reading the power right. This can upset game balance, both in PvE and PvP.
    Couple suggestions to change this to -
    1) Adds a small amount to Armor Pen.
    2) Gives a bonus to damage with Combat Advantage
    3) Increases the distance the Hunter Ranger can dodge.
    4) Increase the effect of the Grasping Roots
  • Options
    holsacholsac Member Posts: 104 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Bug: Power: Split Shot
    Can not change target's or cancel (stop) the shot once you start aiming.
    Not sure if this is a bug or a 'feature'.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    I agree! I finally started getting the hang of it last night and was quite enjoying the 'bait and switch' style. If the AI could get frustrated it would have been fuming at my crazy in and out combat. Also I started spamming shift like crazy just to re-position more so than dodge and found that extremely effective.

I love the fact that it requires a lot more active gameplay to be the most effective. The fact that the shift move is much smaller than other classes means you have to be more conscious of positions, even moreso than with a TR.

• Options
    katbozejziemikatbozejziemi Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 856 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    The description says "Gain 25% bonus mitigation", except nowhere does the game ever explain what this mitigation actually is, even though this isn't the only feat that uses this word.

The timing for the dodge effect on Shift is a bit off, you need to dodge WAY before the attack/spell hits, but this isn't just limited to the ranger and it's more of a problem with the way game handles attacks in general
This discussion has been closed.