test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Polygon's Exclusive Preview of Module 2, Hunter Ranger, and more!

Comments

• Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    maybe not a total different encounter, maybe a different at will, but probably the same encounter but a different set of bonuses/attacks depending on the weapon. kinda like a devoted cleric shifting his skills to divine mode

It seems that the ranged and melee encounters WILL have separate cooldowns:
    Each of their At-Will and Encounter powers have two implementations, based on which weapon the Hunter has equipped — moreover, those twin powers are on different cooldowns.

I also hope that, beyond the obvious graphical indicator of which weapon is drawn, that the class ability icon changes to indicate which mode you're in. Any guesses as to what sort of dodge ability they'll have? Maybe some sort of slide or something?
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    omgwthroflmaoomgwthroflmao Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    bioshrike wrote: »
    It seems that the ranged and melee encounters WILL have separate cooldowns:

i just hope they implement this in a way that will still be balanced with other classes.
    bioshrike wrote: »
    I also hope that, beyond the obvious graphical indicator of which weapon is drawn, that the class ability icon changes to indicate which mode you're in. Any guesses as to what sort of dodge ability they'll have? Maybe some sort of slide or something?

a dive instead of a roll, maybe? lol
  • Options
    rhoricrhoric Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I hope that the pvp crowd don't complain about the ranger and get it nerfed like they did to the other classes. PvPers ruined my pve play with the classes.
  • Options
    omgwthroflmaoomgwthroflmao Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    watching the stream! it's fading dash!
  • Options
    obsiddiaobsiddia Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,025 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Sounds great. ...Can we please re-choose our Paragon Paths, like we can re-do our stats?

Did I mention Please?
    Did you really think anyone could steal the power of the god of thieves?
  • Options
    ordensmarschallordensmarschall Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,060 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    A third Fighter sub-class that seems rather close in ability to how they have implemented the thief. Cryptic is certainly going to have do something to differentiate the classes. Especially if they ever decide to create an Assassin. Give the Thief more thieving abilities, the Ranger more nature based abilities, and give the Assassin the damage abilities currently enjoyed by the hybrid Thief that they have currently implemented. I am curious about the new Shadowmantle area, are they thinking of introducing a Shadovar sub-plot?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    colonelwingcolonelwing Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    No reason for me to complain about the GWF, anymore.

I love you for this, cryptic team. (can't wait)

• Options
    dardovedardove Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    obsiddia wrote: »
    Sounds great. ...Can we please re-choose our Paragon Paths, like we can re-do our stats?

Did I mention Please?

When you do a respec you can rechoose your paragon path. I wouldn't be surprised if we get respec tokens with module 2.
    I am curious about the new Shadowmantle area, are they thinking of introducing a Shadovar sub-plot?

I don't think Shadowmantle is the name of the area. But rather it refers to Valindra.
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    dardove wrote: »
    When you do a respec you can rechoose your paragon path. I wouldn't be surprised if we get respec tokens with module 2.

Id like to hope so, but I have my doubts on this. Cryptic has always had a history of giving respecs when they change existing powers. But not when they add new ones. At least in CO, we never got free tokens when new power sets, or new powers in existing power sets where added.
  • Options
    colonelwingcolonelwing Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    Id like to hope so, but I have my doubts on this. Cryptic has always had a history of giving respecs when they change existing powers. But not when they add new ones. At least in CO, we never got free tokens when new power sets, or new powers in existing power sets where added.

We got free respecs when AT's, for example the Blade AT had a skill added. (inexorable tides in this case)

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Are we getting an Inventory Tab for Mounts??????
  • Options
    dardovedardove Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    So were able to get a tiny bit of info about the companion bonuses during the stream. When he was hovering over the skeleton in the Halloween event vendor, it showed +165 to lifesteal and power while the companion is active.
  • Options
    mithrosnomoremithrosnomore Member Posts: 693 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Yay Ranger!

Don't know what the class will feel like when I actually start playing it, but definitely one of my top 2 classes that I was looking forward to.

Now the wait begins for Paladins*.

*And Warlords. And another Cleric build. And maybe Bards. Possibly Warlocks and Sorcerers...
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Yay Ranger!

Don't know what the class will feel like when I actually start playing it, but definitely one of my top 2 classes that I was looking forward to.

Now the wait begins for Paladins*.

*And Warlords. And another Cleric build. And maybe Bards. Possibly Warlocks and Sorcerers...

Warlock should be next, and they made mention of maybe working on druids after that.
  • Options
    baeyornbaeyorn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 146 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    in my best over 50 yrs old voice..

NICE!!

On the hunter/ranger.

From the days of old school pen and paper D and D circa 1978.. ranger was never a pure archer class..

they were melee/ranged combined..

It appears from the implementation and build thus far, they have made a solid effort in the build of the ranger class.

I have 13 character slots. yeah too much zen. 7 are open.

U bet your backside at least 3 or 4 of thosewill be filled with rangers.. human, Halfling and elf of some sort..

:cool:
  • Options
    furion192furion192 Member Posts: 187 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    A new class will be release, but hopefully they will be handy in PvE. Since the class can swap between melee and range I wonder what will be their role in PvE since we already have a TR. I read in an article that this class would probably be the hardest one to use so far, but if skilled enough you'll gain advantage. To be honest all classes are very easy to use whether skilled or not, the advantage isn't that enough to win against casual players with higher gears. I would love to see the game rely more on skills not gears.

Is this class the hard mode of trickster rogue with the same role in PvE? I just want to remind Cryptic that this class must be useful in PvE. Or maybe they must add more dungeons that suits a certain class. CW & DC is a must on every dungeons so they don't have that much problem finding a party than GWF, which is unfair for the GWF and hopefully the Hunter Ranger class wouldn't turn out like that too.

Once this class has been released, I'd absolutely try this class and play again for I wasn't satisfied with my TR. Considering it is a "Trickster"Rogue, I was expecting it to be a challenging class to use, for I always want to use the hardest class in an MMORPG cos most of them are the most mobile or strongest when mastered. Again I just want Cryptic to know that they must make sure that this class would be useful in PvE for I don't want to roll one and stop playing after lvl 60.

English isn't my native language, so pardon my grammar errors. :)
    SIGNATURE
  • Options
    valwrynvalwryn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,620 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    First, we would have to see what the range of his bow is. If it's the same as the CW, he can hide up in the rafters and pick off the lowly minions. Then jump into the pile for some quick slice and dicing. Movement seems to be the big part of this class, might be able to run circles around everything and make some quick shots until the potent attacks are ready. For now, it's only guess work. That first skirmish in Black Lake will be all Rangers. We'll see then. :cool:
  • Options
    hellratedhellrated Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    About new paragon paths.. characters who are already lvl 60 still have a chance to chose the new paragon paths?.. It would be good if we were given a choice (only one time) to reset paragon path feats (reset 31 points of feats) and given an option to reset 31 power points.
    In-game Characters:
    Raba Leo - 16k GWF | Raba Dharma - 15.5k CW | Raba Chanda - 15k TR | Raba Karma - 14k HR
    PURE F2P, so far..
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    hellrated wrote: »
    About new paragon paths.. characters who are already lvl 60 still have a chance to chose the new paragon paths?.. It would be good if we were given a choice (only one time) to reset paragon path feats (reset 31 points of feats) and given an option to reset 31 power points.

Using a respec token will allow you to choose your paragon path again. We could very well get a free respec token with module 2 like we did with module 1 and the launch day patch.
  • Options
    misssmooziemisssmoozie Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 204 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    The ranger can't really take the TR's role, as long as you don't run with a tank. This is since a good TR can tank (whether you define dodging/deflecting/becoming damage immune/controlling the boss's attacks as tanking, or if the TR needs to take damage for tanking is inrelevant) the bosses, and make the adds just ignore them via stealth, or solorun long parts of the dungeons to let the rest of the party TP there.

But, if we start running with a tank, and we don't want to skip long parts of the dungeon, a HR can probably replace the TR as solotarget DPS. Most likely we will see DC, 2 CW, TR, HR parties for a while, and then decide on which DPS we eventually replace. But, I'm guessing the HR will have good possibilities to shine in PvP, as it can duel more or less any class well, it's not susceptible to kiting in any major extent as far as I've seen, and can kite, as well as just switch to melee if kiting fails.
    Wizard.jpg
  • Options
    jarlsburgjarlsburg Member Posts: 222 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    Let's just hope the Ranger's dodge/dash doesn't make them immune otherwise they will be impossible to kill in PVP. For PVE the exact opposite would be great. LOL.
  • Options
    misssmooziemisssmoozie Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 204 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    jarlsburg wrote: »
    Let's just hope the Ranger's dodge/dash doesn't make them immune otherwise they will be impossible to kill in PVP. For PVE the exact opposite would be great. LOL.
    They'll probably get a short immunity, the shorter range will make it much harder to time tho. Hehe, I seriously think HR's will be OP as hell in PvP until people learn how to handle them.
    Wizard.jpg
  • Options
    knightfalzknightfalz Member Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Before we pigeon hole the Hunter Ranger into a contrived narrow role, we should perhaps at least wait until we know the full range of capabilities the class will have in the game.
  • Options
    melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    knightfalz wrote: »
    Before we pigeon hole the Hunter Ranger into a contrived narrow role, we should perhaps at least wait until we know the full range of capabilities the class will have in the game.

^ this ^

speculation is the devil.
  • Options
    ohnishiohnishi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    RANGER! Finally!! \o/
  • Options
    serowforsakenserowforsaken Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I logged in just to add my excitement to the thread: RANGER !!

Been waiting for this class to come out before I play NW, since I only have 2 character slots, might as well make them count!

RANGER !!
    60 Hunter Ranger
    The rest still up-and-coming!
  • Options
    yokihiroyokihiro Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 510 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    Oh my... Hunter in PVP will be even worse than it is now... More hits from someone that can stay out of your range.

And I don't know what to think about CWs having fire spells. I mean, a CW should be a controller type of mage. He should not be the number 1 damage dealer (that imho is wrong at the moment already, he deals way to much damage). Instead of making him a nuking wizard they rather should focus to give him mezz abilities, slow, stun, teleport, mirror images, control weak enemies to fight for them (like the ghost companion) etc. and dealing mental damage, so they could bring once a "real" wizard and a warlock. A CW should be more like an illusionist, a psionic.

For my taste there should be a wizard class that focusses on massive single target range damage (and he should come with fire, lightning, cold spells) and there should be a warlock type of mage that comes with area range damage spells and DoTs (necrotic, poison damage) and then there should be the necromancers that rely on siphoning life, adding life to others, weakening enemies, placing DoTs, use dead bodies as temporary fighters and so on. Like GWF vs. TR. One for single target damage, one for multi-target damage.

The CW is a CONTROL wizard, he should be treated like one.
  • Options
    baddobb1baddobb1 Member Posts: 123 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    It will show the devs are so far out of touch with the players if they don't bother to bring in another WF or the means for foundry creators to make them.

People don't gear up with the best enchants for pve, as its easy and no challenge, people gear up to compete against others in pvp.

Bringing in the ranger class will only keep people amused for a short period.

They see the figures, and they know that those spending tons on this game are those who spend more time in pvp than just the daily required (even though there is no reward/accolade for doing so)

I hope after they claim they listen to player feedback they actually have and will have something!
  • Options
    hellratedhellrated Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    "The Control Wizard, for example, will receive the Master of Flame path, unlocking a suite of new powers built around fiery AoE attacks." ... Pretty sure that the fiery AoE that "Duergar Thrall:Theurge" does is gonna be one of the attacks.

Ps. Druids, warlocks.. Well we already have 3 melee classes, guess its time for some more mage classes :D
    In-game Characters:
    Raba Leo - 16k GWF | Raba Dharma - 15.5k CW | Raba Chanda - 15k TR | Raba Karma - 14k HR
    PURE F2P, so far..
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited October 2013
    baddobb1 wrote: »
    It will show the devs are so far out of touch with the players if they don't bother to bring in another WF or the means for foundry creators to make them.

People don't gear up with the best enchants for pve, as its easy and no challenge, people gear up to compete against others in pvp.
    . . . . Hmm, I do not do anything in the game "to pvp." I play this game to adventure and socialize with friends and like-minded individuals, I do not play MMORPGs to PvP. The most asked for class has been the Ranger, followed by the Druid. Bringing in the most desired class while planning for the next one seems to be pretty in touch with the player-base to me.
    Bringing in the ranger class will only keep people amused for a short period.
    . . . . There's more to the Module than the Ranger. An additional Paragon Path for all the classes. A new high level adventure area. Artifacts. Enchantment overhaul. Active Companion bonuses. And more...
    They see the figures, and they know that those spending tons on this game are those who spend more time in pvp than just the daily required (even though there is no reward/accolade for doing so)
    . . . . The source of this information would be beneficial to give any credence to such a claim of knowledge and insight.