test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Sentinel GWF Build - PvE Focus (PvP viable) - Leeroy Jenkins!

Comments

• Options
    ortzhyortzhy Member Posts: 1,103 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    Would u pls share a screenshot with the damage taken after 2nd boss in MC? I want to compare the numbers cause for my gwf sentinel i was sitting at 700k dmg taken while the rest of the grp was aroung 500-600k range each so we were kinda splitting the dmg tanken while with my GF i was 1.4 mil while party was around 200k each. ty
  • Options
    kolatmasterkolatmaster Member Posts: 3,111 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    ortzhy wrote: »
    Would u pls share a screenshot with the damage taken after 2nd boss in MC? I want to compare the numbers cause for my gwf sentinel i was sitting at 700k dmg taken while the rest of the grp was aroung 500-600k range each so we were kinda splitting the dmg tanken while with my GF i was 1.4 mil while party was around 200k each. ty
    If I do another run on MC, I can do that if you'd like... Not sure when that will be as I alredy have my Fomorian Greatsword/Off-Hand, but it should happen in the coming week or so. :)

Just a note, the GWF does not hold threat like a GF, never said it did. I would love if it was a lot close though, that's for sure! lol
    va8Ru.gif
  • Options
    dragosani84dragosani84 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 84
    edited September 2013
    Hi, I'm really wanting to play a GWF just for pvp purposes. Is there anything you would change about your spec if you were just doing pvp? I don't really do dungeons, I have a CW for my main and just want this guy for pvp. Also what would be the best race? I'm thinking of going human. I've just never played a GWF and I'm having a very hard time finding any kind of updated guides for one. Any help, ideas ore suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. Oh yeah, one last thing do we get a respec for free at any time in case I screw it up? I'm gonna be low on funds for a while and don't wanna play around with a spec if I won't be able to respec without buying any zen. Thank you.
  • Options
    pandapaulpandapaul Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 424 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    Leeroy which boss in MC did your new offhand drop?? I suspect it's the last boss.. I have been farming that dam dungeon for weeks and haven't seen any offhand
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Hi, I'm really wanting to play a GWF just for pvp purposes. Is there anything you would change about your spec if you were just doing pvp?
    Spec wise, maybe Unstoppable Recovery instead of Disciple of War?
    I don't really do dungeons, I have a CW for my main and just want this guy for pvp. Also what would be the best race? I'm thinking of going human.
    For PvP, I'd rock Human/Halfling... But then again I am a Dwarf. lol
    I've just never played a GWF and I'm having a very hard time finding any kind of updated guides for one. Any help, ideas ore suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. Oh yeah, one last thing do we get a respec for free at any time in case I screw it up?
    We did, not sure if you'd still have it though bud, honestly no definite answer there. Sorry!
    I'm gonna be low on funds for a while and don't wanna play around with a spec if I won't be able to respec without buying any zen. Thank you.
    Yea, just be careful, rock on, and good luck! :)
    pandapaul wrote: »
    Leeroy which boss in MC did your new offhand drop?? I suspect it's the last boss.. I have been farming that dam dungeon for weeks and haven't seen any offhand
    Yea... It was the Dragon. I ran that **** thing like 35-40 times and it finally dropped. Some GWFs I know got it on their 2nd/3rd... Lucky! lol
    va8Ru.gif
  • Options
    pandapaulpandapaul Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 424 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    Spec wise, maybe Unstoppable Recovery instead of Disciple of War?

For PvP, I'd rock Human/Halfling... But then again I am a Dwarf. lol

We did, not sure if you'd still have it though bud, honestly no definite answer there. Sorry!

Yea, just be careful, rock on, and good luck! :)

Yea... It was the Dragon. I ran that **** thing like 35-40 times and it finally dropped. Some GWFs I know got it on their 2nd/3rd... Lucky! lol

I'm so screwed! I ran 3/3 about 20 times and haven't gotten it.. Now no one runs 3/3.. Pretty ending any chance of getting the new offhand for GWF
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    I'm so screwed! I ran 3/3 about 20 times and haven't gotten it.. Now no one runs 3/3.. Pretty ending any chance of getting the new offhand for GWF
    It is really hard now to find someone to run it 3/3 now... Yea. :(
    va8Ru.gif
  • Options
    chocobofarmerchocobofarmer Member Posts: 512 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Leeroy, how do you think bronzewood compares to GPF and PF?
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Leeroy, how do you think bronzewood compares to GPF and PF?
    GPF is bugged currently, so GBronze is flat out better and overall I think it's better also.
    va8Ru.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Feytouched seems to be insanely strong, it is put on 5 targets and effect accumulates on u. I find it to be the most potent enchant out there atm, 12% dmg extra reduction on top of your max defense...
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    ortzhy wrote: »
    Feytouched seems to be insanely strong, it is put on 5 targets and effect accumulates on u. I find it to be the most potent enchant out there atm, 12% dmg extra reduction on top of your max defense...
    Definitely something to consider and test, thanks for the insight! :)
    va8Ru.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Update: 9/17

Ok mi amigos, I bring you some knowledge that may be met with much ridicule, but after a week of testing I am happy to face it with a smile on my face and experience to back my opinion...

I am here to sing the praises of the, oft laughed at, Encounter Power: Punishing Charge ;)

So let me begin with the obvious, I am always tinkering with my build and seeking to improve it constantly within the parameters that are given to us by the Developers. Like many GWFs within the past few weeks I have also faced the Action point nerf to our beloved Encounter Power: Roar, along with general AP reduction across the board for all classes. Thus I began for looking for ways to generate AP like the days of old... I took the Elven Boon for 2% Action Point Generation and even started rocking my full Vigilant Warlord armor set for the insane Recovery that it provides me (over 3800 w/Ioun Stone buffs) and other experiments (those updates come in a later post). Even with this I was still bemoaning the loss of the glory field days of our past when we could fill our Daily Meter on a regular basis... Thus I began a grand experiment.

Punishing Charge generates AP for each target hit (5x Limit), with 3 Charges at Rank 3. That's what I read, and I was all like... Hmmmm, why the H-E double toothpicks not?!? I got nothing better to do, outside of grinding my Dailies in Sharandar. So eff it let's do this baby!

I had never, ever, used this Encounter Power before, not even for fun. So I began charing my way through Powries, Cyclops, and Fomorians on my first day, just for the L to the O to the L. I made many errors in angles, commonly missing baddies completely. As the day wore on though, I began to more consistently hit the max of 5 baddies.. Low and behold the AP generation wasn't merely decent, it was actually good! At the point of the game I am, in my Vigilant Warlord set, running around with 27.3% Action Point gain and Punishing Charge definitely takes advantage of that. So for those of you looking for a replacement for Roar, you have it right here!

In fact, I enjoy it a great deal more the Roar, and I don't even gain Determination from it's use like a Destroyer spec would with their capstone. Why do I like it more? It makes a mobile class even more so a headache of position for an opponent (baddie). Punishing Charge is a 30ft Burst with a 4ft wide area of effect, per the tool tip. You may as well consider it a teleport, for all intents and purposes, as it goes through baddies. Yes, even bosses like the Dracolich or Valindra. You slide right through them dealing some damage. So when that baddie throws a cone at you and you want to be on the outside of it, you can bamf away from it to the baddies backside and continue to punish him/her. Very rarely if the timing is off, an AoE can hit you at the beginning of the Punishing Charge animation but that is more about you knowing the animation/timing of the baddies... So pay attention homies!

Now a bit more tech here: You get 3 charges at 8 second cooldown each. As soon as you use 1 Charge it begins counting down, whether you use the 2nd/3rd charges or not. You can bamf forward, turn, bamf back to the exact same spot, and then bamf anywhere else within range (that's 3 charges used) and only have had 2 seconds come off the cool down, leaving 6 seconds left for the 1st charge to be available again. Now that is pretty **** fast, and about the same animation timeframe as Daring Shout. While Daring Shout builds Determination and Marks targets, this power allows you to hit 5 baddies with each charge, so within 2 seconds you can hit 15 baddies. Generating, at my low level of power (4300) in my Sentinel spec an average of about 1000 damage per hit. So that's 15k damage for 2 seconds worth of work... Not too shabby! While also filling up your AP meter much faster then we are currently used too. This allows you to spam Slam a great deal more, still my chosen Daily Power of use.

How fast you say? Well let me tell you! :cool:

Three times in the past week, I have started a Slam and had enough AP within the timeframe of the current Slam (10 seconds) to start another Slam. This happens by leading with Punishing Charge, 2 seconds of use, then Restoring Strike, then IBS, then a few normal attacks and 1 last Punishing through remaining baddies and abraca-effing-dabra! lam is back for another round of sweet AoE loving! ;)

This has occurred in Temple of the Spider, Pirate King, and Malabog's Castle. I have witnesses for each instance within/outside my Guild. Now this is not going to happen every run, but with practice it can become a possibility, and an effing fine one at that! I have also started a Master of the Hunt skirmish with a full Daily, popped Slam and by the end I had completed the run I had popped off 16 other Slams. I was keyed in and trying to maximize the Daily just to see how many I could do, but if you're a GWF who has run the Skirmish in the last few weeks do me a favor mentally calculate/remember how many Dailies you got off in that instance with your current rotation... Was it even double digits? If not, and even if it was 10 or 11, do yourself the favor and start practicing with Punishing Charge!

What is also awesome about Punishing Charge is that it is challenging to use correctly, requires practice and attention to detail. Thus battles become less of the same old grind. Now you are constantly looking for angles to optimize Punishing Charge, either solely to get your Daily up, or waiting for the baddies big bad red circle/cone so you can bamf around/through it, and/or set up perfect flanking attacks for you and your BFFs!

As a Sentinel spec I am loving Punishing Charge, and I think a Destroyer spec will love it even more!

So be a cool kid and try the new hotness for GWFs of all shapes and sizes... PUNISHING CHARGE BAY-BAY!!! :D
    va8Ru.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    As per leeroys advice I also decided to give this a try...
    I started yesterday... So haven't really had a whole lot of practice yet. But here is what I have observed.
    Firstly the AP is very good. Im a destroyer but same as leeroy i feel running a dungeon that slam is really still the best option.. More so the fact that all the other dailies have serious flaws with them..

Firstly.. This encounter does require practice and skill.. It's not like other encounters where u can just slot is and start observing the outcome easily..this will take time to master...

Now it does provide more mobility for the class. No question.. But what I found was that you can't just spam this skill.. You will end up in red zones if u use it in a similar method to your other encounters.. The MC I ran yesterday I died twice due to the not timing the use of this skill correctly..

It is pretty much the only decent way to gain AP as a GWF now.. And slam for me is extremely important.. Not just for the damage/utility of it. But for the power bonus the slam feat provides... Seeing that I'm dps spec.. I need slam up as much as possible to be effective.. And yes this encounter does provide that.. I would say mastering this encounter will probably lead to a 200-250% increase in the amount of dailies u can charge going through trash in an epic

However I do unslot it for boss fights as focusing on a single target it isn't that great.. Or really 3 or less targets it isn't that great

It does add a similar utility to the class as what a CW or tr has with its dodge.. Except not having its immunity...

I will be testing this encounter for the time being as well.. I respec slightly already to be more daily orientated..

But yes if u want to use dailies as a GWF.. This is looking like it might be a must

Thanks for the heads up leeroy
  • Options
    tarmalentarmalen Member Posts: 1,020 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    We already pointed out Punishing Charge.

Also pointed out that Deep Gash is bugged with punishing charge and will proc 0 bleed damage.

Welcome to current!
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    However I do unslot it for boss fights as focusing on a single target it isn't that great.. Or really 3 or less targets it isn't that great
    100% Agree mi amigo!
    Thanks for the heads up leeroy
    You're welcome bud, happy to see this crazy idea is legit... It was more on a whim, but I have been quite pleasantly surprised and have grown to really like it. :)

tarmalen wrote: »
    We already pointed out Punishing Charge.
    Kudos to you! :cool:
    Also pointed out that Deep Gash is bugged with punishing charge and will proc 0 bleed damage.
    Deep Gash is not in my build, however solid information to know for those who do run it.
    Welcome to current!
    Welcome to my thread! ;)
    va8Ru.gif
  • Options
    aadenlaaadenla Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Greetings esteemed GWF Sir Leeroy Jenkins!

Started out as Meeggtoast Destroyer DPS. Saddened by the feeling of "something is not right." Turned to your post and have been enjoying your build immensely. I am still getting used to it and will need a new respec to add punishing charge to the mix. All I need is enough AD to get the Perfect Bronzewood and I will be well on my way!

Just wanted to say thanks for a tremendous post and all of your guidance. Well done sir....very well done indeed!

-Orsik out

Orsik Blackaxe / Mindflayer / Dungeon Crawlers Inc.

Leeroy Jenkins Sentinel GWF build
    1234395_645605872131059_205682543_n.jpg
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Hey Leeroy.. i can help u improve even more. Daring shout and Punishing charge have great synergy. Daring Shout helps u get determination ,like loads of it, pop unstoppable before using punishing charge 25% extra AP gain. Was using roar as well for a full AP bar before nerf maybe now u can use IBS?. This pretty much will make u take rly low dmg through a instance but now here is the catch while beeing so mobile u wont rly be able to build threat for this u needed slam even nerfed as it is. I doubt that u;ll be able to tank much while using punishing charge(it generates rly low amount of threat, was good to use only as preparation for slam) since the only way now is with the use of battle fury and WMS spam.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    aadenla wrote: »
    Greetings esteemed GWF Sir Leeroy Jenkins!
    Greetings to you fine sir!
    Started out as Meeggtoast Destroyer DPS. Saddened by the feeling of "something is not right." Turned to your post and have been enjoying your build immensely. I am still getting used to it and will need a new respec to add punishing charge to the mix. All I need is enough AD to get the Perfect Bronzewood and I will be well on my way!
    It honestly is a playstyle difference, and I feel both paths are viable yet completely different! Which adds diversity to GWFs overall. I'm greatly pleased to hear you are enjoy it, and any feedback/constructive criticism/ideas/etc is always welcomed!

The Perfect Bronzewood is fairly cheap compared to others so good luck!

QUOTE=aadenla;6077031]Just wanted to say thanks for a tremendous post and all of your guidance. Well done sir....very well done indeed!

-Orsik out[/QUOTE]
    You're quite welcome, and thanks for the support my friend! :)

QUOTE=ortzhy;6078451]Hey Leeroy.. i can help u improve even more. Daring shout and Punishing charge have great synergy. Daring Shout helps u get determination ,like loads of it, pop unstoppable before using punishing charge 25% extra AP gain. Was using roar as well for a full AP bar before nerf maybe now u can use IBS?. This pretty much will make u take rly low dmg through a instance but now here is the catch while beeing so mobile u wont rly be able to build threat for this u needed slam even nerfed as it is. I doubt that u;ll be able to tank much while using punishing charge(it generates rly low amount of threat, was good to use only as preparation for slam) since the only way now is with the use of battle fury and WMS spam.[/QUOTE]
    Daring Shout is still in my rotation for some fights/dungeons. However Punishing Charge I find to be much more useful overall honestly. Using both does synergize well together, but I don't have room for IBS then as Restoring Strike stays in my rotation constantly based on the Sentinel Capstone...

Surely worth testing around though! :)
    va8Ru.gif
  • Options
    tarmalentarmalen Member Posts: 1,020 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    Leeroy.

We need to run some dungeons in the next few days so I can get some numbers between the specs.

P.S. Where is Will?
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Leeroy.

We need to run some dungeons in the next few days so I can get some numbers between the specs.
    I will be free next week, as this weekend is a good friends wedding, then a day in Atlantic City, then a Brewery Event at Yards in Philly. Pretty full, and awesome, times ahead! lol

But we can definitely get something going sure... :)
    P.S. Where is Will?
    Will, who is Will? lol
    va8Ru.gif
  • Options
    aadenlaaadenla Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Good day Sir Leeroy.

I have picked up a greater bronzewood (perfect to come later) and let me just say that I have noticed this is working wonderfully!!!

Both in PVE and PVP I have enjoyed the perks compared to my old setup. Just today I banged on 2 TRs and a GF before going down myself.

I have not added the briartwine to the mix yet...tomorrow it will be fused after my respec for the punishing charge.

Question for ya...I do want to see about getting an update on your enchants...you said:
    On my mainhand/offhand I use Azure.

On my Utility I use Darks for movement.

On my Defense slots I use Dark for Lifesteal.

For my Shirt/Neck offensive slots I use Recovery currently.

Hope that helps! :)

Have you changed any of this at all?

Can you give us a current update on that and your Ioune Stone? (I believe you ran Azure in the off slots)

Thanks again for helping our community with this very helpful data.

You have not steered me wrong thus far.:D

- Orsik Blackaxe (One very happy Sentinel)

625438_646745198683793_39435358_n.jpg
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    You answered all of my questions a while back and I wanted to stop by and say thank you. It's been a while since I was on and just now saw your replies to my questions. Thank you so much. Playing my GWF now : )
  • Options
    drdendodrdendo Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Would you recommend running 4/4 titan set in PvP?
    Heseth Shadowblade @ Beholder
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Hi, I just wanted to point out that you have Daring Shout on there twice. Is there supposed to be a different power on one of those? Here's what you have:
    Sure Strike: 3/3 *
    Not So Fast: 3/3
    Mighty Leap: 3/3
    Restoring Strike: 3/3 *
    Slam: 3/3 *
    Takedown: 3/3
    Bravery: 3/3 *
    Weapon Master Strike: 3/3 *
    Roar: 3/3
    Weapon Master: 3/3 *
    Daring Shout: 3/3
    Flourish: 3/3
    Daring Shout: 3/3
    Indomitable Battle Strike: 3/3 *
    Spinning: 3/3 *
    Punishing Charge: 3/3 * The New Hawtness!!!

And I assume Spinning is Spinning Strike? I'm not trying to nitpick but I can't see all of my abilities on my tree cause I'm low lv. The Paragon Powers just say Paragon Powers so I want to make sure I have everything right. Thanks again for helping me earlier : )
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    I'll be responding the last few posts later today or in the next day or so, just wanted everyone to know! :)
    va8Ru.gif
  • Options
    casket2casket2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Just out of curiosity, and this may have been answered in a different thread, has anyone done the math on combat advantage damage and how much Ubiquitous shield could potentially reduce your incoming damage? I enjoy the thread/Build, but I'm looking to focus on tanking for pve (though I intend to pvp as well), and was curious if Ubiquitous Shield is a feat worth the points or not.

I was also wondering if one is planning to tank whether or not they should pick up feats like Intimidation and Defiance? At first glance, it would seem to be a no brainer to grab feats that up your threat generation, but that doesn't mean the math works out that way.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    First set of responses!

Good day Sir Leeroy.

I have picked up a greater bronzewood (perfect to come later) and let me just say that I have noticed this is working wonderfully!!!
    Glad to see you are loving it also bud! *high five* :)
    I have not added the briartwine to the mix yet...tomorrow it will be fused after my respec for the punishing charge.

Question for ya...I do want to see about getting an update on your enchants...you said:
    How did the Briartwine go? I've enjoyed it honestly, though I did put a Greater Negation on my Titan Set, and the Greater Briartwine is on my Vigilant Warlord Set... :)

Enchants, are you looking for Armor/Weapon or my Runestones on my items/Ioun Stone?
    Have you changed any of this at all?

Can you give us a current update on that and your Ioune Stone? (I believe you ran Azure in the off slots)

Thanks again for helping our community with this very helpful data.
    Not sure I've changed them directly outside of increasing Ranks, and I can update the Ioun Stone in the coming days for sure.

And you're welcome bud, glad your having fun with the build... It's not perfect, but I enjoy it as well! :D

You answered all of my questions a while back and I wanted to stop by and say thank you. It's been a while since I was on and just now saw your replies to my questions. Thank you so much. Playing my GWF now : )
    Happy to be of service, and sorry I didn't answer them in a more timely manner... If you have any further ones, just ask! ;)

drdendo wrote: »
    Would you recommend running 4/4 titan set in PvP?
    That's what I have been currently running as my DR goes up to 45% and Deflection is close to 30%... The Valiant Warlord Set is a bit squishery and the Set Bonus (4x) is pretty snazzy honestly. Unfortunately a bit squishier compared to the Titan! Playstyle preference, but I feel I like the Titan better honestly.
    va8Ru.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    More replies answered... lol

Hi, I just wanted to point out that you have Daring Shout on there twice. Is there supposed to be a different power on one of those?
    Corrected, thanks for the look out! :D
    And I assume Spinning is Spinning Strike? I'm not trying to nitpick but I can't see all of my abilities on my tree cause I'm low lv. The Paragon Powers just say Paragon Powers so I want to make sure I have everything right. Thanks again for helping me earlier : )
    Spinning Strike is also corrected!

You do man, many thanks again... :cool:

casket2 wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity, and this may have been answered in a different thread, has anyone done the math on combat advantage damage and how much Ubiquitous shield could potentially reduce your incoming damage? I enjoy the thread/Build, but I'm looking to focus on tanking for pve (though I intend to pvp as well), and was curious if Ubiquitous Shield is a feat worth the points or not.
    I don't remember if anyone has calculater it directly, however I know having CA versus baddies gives you 15% more damage. So if you reduce it againast you, and it's the same, you would be reducing the damage by about 3.75% at 25% reduction. If that's the case, it definitely does not seem worth it...
    casket2 wrote: »
    I was also wondering if one is planning to tank whether or not they should pick up feats like Intimidation and Defiance? At first glance, it would seem to be a no brainer to grab feats that up your threat generation, but that doesn't mean the math works out that way.
    You can, I just feel you sacrifice too much by not getting Great Weapon Focus for 10% for damage from your At-Wills (which you use the most!), and Disciple of War (which let's you not spend many points on Armor Pen at all!), so that's the balance honestly.

If there was a feat that just increased Threat overall I would respec the build a bit, but I (in my testing) didn't find Intimidation/Defiance worth the slots honestly. Just my preference, if you find it differently I'd be happy to debate/learn and such! :)
    va8Ru.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Hey leeroy been busy working wont be on much next couple of days

Observation: battlefury is a heap of <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>
    Talk later on
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Hey leeroy been busy working wont be on much next couple of days

Observation: battlefury is a heap of <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>
    Talk later on
    Yea, I kinda got caught by work myself, but starting in a few days it should lighten a tad bit more often... Should around your time of playing also, which will be awesome. :)

Thanks for the testing on Battle Fury, I was curious about it after our chats. I commented on another thread ya posted on, so no worries.

And sure, we'll raidcall it up ese! :p
    va8Ru.gif