test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Sentinel GWF Build - PvE Focus (PvP viable) - Leeroy Jenkins!

Comments

• Options
    itisreal27itisreal27 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    What enchants do you use with that setup leeroy?
  • Options
    kolatmasterkolatmaster Member Posts: 3,111 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    dkcandy wrote: »
    My Regen / Deflect tank has 36k HP with 11%+ Regen. So 700 equals 35+ more health tick.

Otherwise the 2% AP is a really nice gain.
    Yep, in that build Regen is **** nice and quite a bit more per tick. Probably going with the 2% AP, however a week or two away from grinding that way out anyways... lol
    copticone wrote: »
    What enchantment are you referring to?
    The one with butterflies of course!

(Bronzewood) ;)
    itisreal27 wrote: »
    What enchants do you use with that setup leeroy?
    I'll be breaking that down, hopefully, in my coming update in the next few days!
    va8Ru.gif
  • Options
    itisreal27itisreal27 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Still waiting for that update :D
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    itisreal27 wrote: »
    Still waiting for that update :D
    En Route! lol
    va8Ru.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Ok, I have made the updated changes to the first post with the build of feats/powers/enchantments/etc. :cool:

Here I will explain what was updated...

One that everyone saw coming was Powerful Challenge coming in for Grim Promise, and a new addition really makes Powerful Challenge shine. Pretty self-explanatory as to why the 15% more damage to Marked Target's matters now comparatively to having a buff to Crescendo, just keep reading and you'll see!

A change that may be a bit surprising is I also dropped Deep Gash as my power currently sits around 3600, and I changed it to Disciple of War. This change allowed me to increase my Crit Strike total from 2300 to 2850 by taking out the Dark Enchants on my Ioun Stone of Allure and switching them to Azure ones in my Offensive Slots. It has made a good difference, and thus far I believe the increased Crit % is better then small amount of bleed damage I was doing with Deep Gash,

Here is a more subtle one... As Action Point generation has dropped across the board. Eg. for us Roar was completely gutted, and honestly it well nigh worthless (IMO) without the AP generation it completely fell out of my rotation. For a while I was using Flourish, as more DPS seemed at least a viable option, but then I came back to Daring Shout and began to test it again. It doesn't give as much AP, but it still gives some and it also replenishes the Determination meter well. This obviously allows Unstoppable to be used more, which is a very good thing!

Now commenting on a change that I believe has allowed the build to really begin to come into it's own is the swapping out of Perfect Lighting, for the new Perfect Bronzewood Enchantment. Things that this does:

PerfectBronzewood_zps655d5ef8.png

1. My ArmPen is currently at 11.8%, and I have 23 Con base, thus equaling 24.8% which is above all adds/bosses in PvE. The additional 16% that I ignore of target's armor get's converted into damage. Thus my DPS doesn't fall off that much from Perfect Lighting.

2. The Marks, mentioned, from my Encounter Powers last for 10 seconds, a mob cannot be affected by this more then once in 20 seconds, and the Mark does NOT go away if you get hit by the mob that is marked. Thus Powerful Challenge's 15% damage increase is effective for that time period, which puts the DPS of this enchantment, when used appropriately, above Perfect Lighting.

3. The Marks helps hold threat better then Perfect Lighting, which is what the build (I personally felt) was lacking. Now, GFs are still better then this build at holding threat, that is a given. Sometimes, in my testing, a solidly geared CW who is on full DPS (not Controlling mobs) mode will also pull aggro/threat away from my toon. However, given the chance to initiate, I can hold and even peal off aggro fairly well.

Thus these changes, despite Unstoppable/Deflection debuffs that came through, make this build better then it was prior to the Sharandar expansion!

So feel free to comment/critique/etc, mi amigos... And I hope you enjoyed the read.

Never forget the fact that: REAL MEN KICK <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> WITH BUTTERFLIES!!! ;)
    va8Ru.gif
  • Options
    cribstaxxxcribstaxxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,300 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    That's pretty awesome, I have heard that daring shout not only applies its own mark but also applies the bronzewood mark. I have heard rumors that they stack and give 30% damage increase from the feat but that sounds a little far fetched, have you experimented with that by chance?
    Guild Master of <Enemy Team>
    We are definitely dominating, and we are always about to win.
  • Options
    hulurtinhulurtin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    on a side note and a bit OT....did anyone else notice normal bronzewood enchant not marking enemies or is it just mine not working properly? :/
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    cribstaxxx wrote: »
    That's pretty awesome, I have heard that daring shout not only applies its own mark but also applies the bronzewood mark. I have heard rumors that they stack and give 30% damage increase from the feat but that sounds a little far fetched, have you experimented with that by chance?
    Hey there bud!

I have heard those rumors also, but I am unsure if it is true honestly. I haven't PARs'd it out or anything, so I honestly do not know. Though if it does I would say it is unintended and will probably be fixed. Also I am nowhere near a DPS spec, so the extra bit isn't unappreciated! lol
    hulurtin wrote: »
    on a side note and a bit OT....did anyone else notice normal bronzewood enchant not marking enemies or is it just mine not working properly? :/
    Haven't heard, or seen, of that happening bud, sorry!
    va8Ru.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Small note to my 9/1 update: When using Daring Shout, I use that in the run up to the boss. Then, usually on bosses, I switch to Flourish for the added DPS on the big bad guys themselves as most other people (CWs/GFs) are holding the adds in check.

Just wanted you to know the slight change! :)
    va8Ru.gif
  • Options
    copticonecopticone Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013

2. The Marks, mentioned, from my Encounter Powers last for 10 seconds, a mob cannot be affected by this more then once in 20 seconds, and the Mark does NOT go away if you get hit by the mob that is marked. Thus Powerful Challenge's 15% damage increase is effective for that time period, which puts the DPS of this enchantment, when used appropriately, above Perfect Lighting.

3. The Marks helps hold threat better then Perfect Lighting, which is what the build (I personally felt) was lacking. Now, GFs are still better then this build at holding threat, that is a given. Sometimes, in my testing, a solidly geared CW who is on full DPS (not Controlling mobs) mode will also pull aggro/threat away from my toon. However, given the chance to initiate, I can hold and even peal off aggro fairly well.

Thus these changes, despite Unstoppable/Deflection debuffs that came through, make this build better then it was prior to the Sharandar expansion!

I have been running Destroyer with Powerful Challenge, I will never remove those 5/5 points. I use Daring Shouts often and even that alone makes it worth it as the marks dont fall off as quickly as people think, especially when mobs are being CCd. Also the marks give others a dps boost as well.

That said, are you absolutely sure that Powerful Challenge works with Bronzewood? because I read several posts by others that say that Bronzewood's "MarK" is different from a normal Mark and thus doesn't get the 15% boost from Powerful Challenge. Have you dont tests with and without it to see if it did in fact give you that extra 15%? Thanks.
    Check out my personal Nerf Proof T2 Thaumaturge Build.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    copticone wrote: »
    That said, are you absolutely sure that Powerful Challenge works with Bronzewood? because I read several posts by others that say that Bronzewood's "MarK" is different from a normal Mark and thus doesn't get the 15% boost from Powerful Challenge. Have you dont tests with and without it to see if it did in fact give you that extra 15%? Thanks.
    I have not PARs'd it out, but I have noticed between having it on and off, that there is a damage increase from my Perfect Lightning Enchantment.

I do not know if it applies 15% + 15% because they are 'different' Marks, but based on my personal review I am convinced it (at bare minimum) gives you the additional 15% for having the opponent Marked. Hope that helps! :cool:
    va8Ru.gif
  • Options
    kaylos29kaylos29 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I tested it on the dummies and it did not give me the 15% damage increase from powerful challenge with just bronzewood. Even with powerful challenge feated, I only gained 8% damage using regular bronzewood without an actual mark on the dummy. I was so excited and was really disappointed when it did not work. Bronzewood is still good though.

edit: fixed typo
    Mindflayer - Exodus
    Daria - Dwarf Sentinel GWF (mistaken for Halfling a lot)
    Karia (aka "The Pug") - Human Combat HR
    Kayd - Human Conqueror GF - Retired
  • Options
    hulurtinhulurtin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    kaylos29 wrote: »
    I tested it on the dummies and it did not give me the 15% damage increase from powerful challenge with just bronzewood. Even with powerful challenge feated, I only gained 8% damage using regular bronzewood with an actual mark on the dummy. I was so excited and was really disappointed when it did not work. Bronzewood is still good though.

question.....were u getting the marks using other encounters than daring shout? Because i have a regular bronzewood too and i can't seem to get marks, so i'd like to know if it's a regular bronzewood prob or mine...:D thanx in advance!
    ...@Kolat: sorry again mate on derailing a bit your thread....:D
  • Options
    kaylos29kaylos29 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    hulurtin wrote: »
    question.....were u getting the marks using other encounters than daring shout? Because i have a regular bronzewood too and i can't seem to get marks, so i'd like to know if it's a regular bronzewood prob or mine...:D thanx in advance!
    ...@Kolat: sorry again mate on derailing a bit your thread....:D

Sorry, typo'd. No marks on dummy, just a normal bronzewood debuff. The 8% damage boost did not apply on the triggering encounter. After that, it was an exact 8% damage boost for 10 seconds. The debuff rests at 20 seconds, but can be applied immediately to a 2nd or 3rd target without waiting for the reset. If Powerful Challenge had worked, I would have expected to see a 23% damage boost.
    Mindflayer - Exodus
    Daria - Dwarf Sentinel GWF (mistaken for Halfling a lot)
    Karia (aka "The Pug") - Human Combat HR
    Kayd - Human Conqueror GF - Retired
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    kaylos29 wrote: »
    Sorry, typo'd. No marks on dummy, just a normal bronzewood debuff. The 8% damage boost did not apply on the triggering encounter. After that, it was an exact 8% damage boost for 10 seconds. The debuff rests at 20 seconds, but can be applied immediately to a 2nd or 3rd target without waiting for the reset. If Powerful Challenge had worked, I would have expected to see a 23% damage boost.
    I'll try it out myself, but that's a tad disappointing... Still noticed an uptick in DPS, maybe just from the overdoing damage/armor resistance itself in relation to Perfect Lighting. Then again the Dummies have no resistance themselves (that I know of).
    va8Ru.gif
  • Options
    dkcandydkcandy Member Posts: 1,555 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    I'll try it out myself, but that's a tad disappointing... Still noticed an uptick in DPS, maybe just from the overdoing damage/armor resistance itself in relation to Perfect Lighting. Then again the Dummies have no resistance themselves (that I know of).

When you want to test go to the test server because you get free respecs. Remove the ability that gives 15% damage on marked target and unsocket your enchant.

Hit the target dummy with combat log open.

You should see: #### damage
    if you see #### (####) it means you have some kind of bonus or mitigation and need to figure out where it's coming from. You want your base to be a base without bonuses from other feats/etc...

Once you get your base of #### damage. Add the feat for 15% bonus damage on marked targets and attack dummy.

mark the dummy and attack again.

You should now see #### (####) the #### should be higher by while (####) should be lower. This is because (####) is damage before mitigation or bonuses and #### is the actual damage received.

Now right down the % gained and respec removing the 15% damage bonus from marked targets.

Equip your weapon with bronzewood and attack target. Write down % gained again.

Now respec and add the 15% feat and see if your gain bronzewood is greater with the feat and do the 2 of them stack. If you don't get a bonus from just bronzewood, mark the target and then attack and see if you get a stacking bonus. If not then bronzewood and the marking feat do not stack.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    dkcandy wrote: »
    When you want to test go to the test server because you get free respecs.

Plus lots of good stuff...
    If anyone has the time/inclination to try this, please feel free to report back! :)

I will be busy the next few days/weekend, but would love to know if someone tests this out.
    va8Ru.gif
  • Options
    phenixfyrephenixfyre Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Which enchants do you use in your equip? I thought dark will get a higher armpen but i can see why power or def could be useful too
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    phenixfyre wrote: »
    Which enchants do you use in your equip? I thought dark will get a higher armpen but i can see why power or def could be useful too
    On my mainhand/offhand I use Azure.

On my Utility I use Darks for movement.

On my Defense slots I use Dark for Lifesteal.

For my Shirt/Neck offensive slots I use Recovery currently.

Hope that helps! :)
    va8Ru.gif
  • Options
    grimahgrimah Member Posts: 1,658 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I have to be honest here kolat, I don't mean to be disrespectful but when I was playing my CW with you in MC it was very hairy (2nd boss was especially a nightmare), and had to fend for myself throughout the dungeon (solo style play).

Now that I've tried it myself on my GWF i've decided to put him into hibernation. I use a more damage focused build than kolat, and threat now is more of a headache than ever before, especially with our low AP generation now and damage nerf. Survivability is fine, but a GWF sentinel cannot control the field at all in MC, however GWF sentinel is still viable in some of the T2 dungeons though.

I'm just hoping they bring out a threat-centric paragon path when they eventually come out since it's very doubful the sentinel tree will get reworked, or GWFs for that matter (tank wise)

good luck to you kolat.
    Creator of the featured survival horror foundry: "The Silence of Haydenwick" Video Review
    and also the featured satirical comedic adventure "A Call for Heroes".
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    grimah wrote: »
    I have to be honest here kolat, I don't mean to be disrespectful but when I was playing my CW with you in MC it was very hairy (2nd boss was especially a nightmare), and had to fend for myself throughout the dungeon (solo style play).
    No worries at all, everyone has a right to disagree.

In most MC runs I have been on the 1st and 2nd boss, either with a TR or a by myself. Both ways have been fine... Don't honestly remember the team comp, but I have yet to fail in finishing a MC run outside of the very first one. On the adds, I keep an eye out for the Witherers and peal off to kill them ASAP. I enjoy the build, and believe I am valued asset with preventing wipes via rezing and/or staying alive. Particularly on Malabog himself, I generally end up running in a circle if people wipe allowing them to come back... It's all in a playstyle, which if you don't like there is no skin off my back.
    Now that I've tried it myself on my GWF i've decided to put him into hibernation. I use a more damage focused build than kolat, and threat now is more of a headache than ever before, especially with our low AP generation now and damage nerf. Survivability is fine, but a GWF sentinel cannot control the field at all in MC, however GWF sentinel is still viable in some of the T2 dungeons though.
    GWF Sentinel is viable in ALL dungeons, as are most builds. Is it optimum for efficiency and getting the dungeon done the fastest? No, and I never made that claim. The AP generation could/should be a bit better, and make surviving all that more important.
    I'm just hoping they bring out a threat-centric paragon path when they eventually come out since it's very doubful the sentinel tree will get reworked, or GWFs for that matter (tank wise)
    More threat would be welcomed, I'd love to see a path like that.
    good luck to you kolat.
    None needed, but thanks anyways! :cool:
    va8Ru.gif
  • Options
    chudovishyechudovishye Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Even in the face of truth Kolat doesn't have a clue. Destroyer and Instigator are much, much better in dungeons. You're good for PvP, that's it. Why do you think a Sent like Steamroller respeced for PvE not so long ago? He was probably the best, or one of two best, Sents on the entire server.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Let's break this one down folks! :cool:
    Even in the face of truth Kolat doesn't have a clue.
    It begins with the novice attempt at a ad hominem attack... How cute!

I believe Mister/Miss chudovishye is attempting to state I am unaware of the realities of GWF, and their different strengths/weaknesses/etc. I will simply state I disagree with His/Her esteemed opinion on what He/She perceives as my 'ignorance' to the 'truth as He/She sees it".

That's ok, really, I'm cool with it!
    Destroyer and Instigator are much, much better in dungeons.
    Much better at total DPS then Sentinel spec, correct?

If so, well dang me straight to H-E double toothpicks... Here I thought Sentinel's were the Bee's Knees at out damaging everything! *facepalm* Where did I go wrong? Woe is me! Thank you, sincerely, for the enlightenment!

Sarcasm aside, I am obviously well aware the Sentinel spec's don't lead in damage, and never have I stated my spec is designed to do that. If Mister/Miss chudovishye would have taken the time to read my posts in this thread, which obviously is not the case. I built this spec to be the best Tank/Off-Tank a GWF could be, because I enjoy the class theme/fluff and that's the style I enjoy playing the most. That may not fly in His/Her mind as something someone should/could/would do in an MMO, playing something they enjoy to the best of their ability because they find it fun. What a novel idea folks, isn't it?

Though that is how I ride, and I'm enjoying it immensely thus far! :D
    You're good for PvP...
    Thank you kind Sir/Madame!
    ...that's it.
    I respectfully, really respectfully, disagree!
    Why do you think a Sent like Steamroller respeced for PvE not so long ago?
    I do not know this kind sir/madame known as Steamroller personally, so I do not know! Though maybe he/she wasn't having fun with the build and wanted to try something else? That might just be the case! lol

I, however, am still enjoying myself so I will continue to rock well.
    He was probably the best, or one of two best, Sents on the entire server.
    Jolly good!

thank-you-cat-meme-generator-thanks-that-s-all-17a878.jpg
    va8Ru.gif
  • Options
    cribstaxxxcribstaxxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,300 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    Even in the face of truth Kolat doesn't have a clue. Destroyer and Instigator are much, much better in dungeons. You're good for PvP, that's it. Why do you think a Sent like Steamroller respeced for PvE not so long ago? He was probably the best, or one of two best, Sents on the entire server.

What do Destroyer and Instigator bring the party? Absolutely worthless trash mob damage, congratulations! So you can kill trash faster than CW and TR, can you mass CC? Can you burn boss quickly? Can you debuff any more than a Sentinel? Point is trash mob damage is not a reason to fill a party slot with a GWF, but if that GWF can hold agro, take a lot of damage, and still dish out good damage then they are useful in dungeons.

Even if destroyer/instigator had double their current AOE damage I would still run team comps without them as they bring nothing to the table that other classes don't do better.

A very good sent (and all around nice guy) like Kolat can tank any dungeon like a champ. I have run many dungeons with him as only tank and have been completely successful every time. IMO Sent is the ONLY viable build for PvE, and darn good at PvP too.
    Guild Master of <Enemy Team>
    We are definitely dominating, and we are always about to win.
  • Options
    pandapaulpandapaul Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 424 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    I'm a destroyer GWF.. I have respec maybe 20 times over the last few months tinkering with different builds...
    I always end up going back to destroyer.. Why? Cause to me I felt there was a serious lack of threat in the other paths.. This is just my opinion and maybe my playing style contributes to that.. But that's just how it felt..even as a high dps destroyer build I still feel like it needs more threat.. A properly played destroyer can generally do enough tanking... Given this game doesn't need much of it.. For a decent party...
    Now leeroy I don't know if our times would ever match up but I would be interested at some stage running a dungeon.. Maybe. CN with you. Just to get a feel on how different GWFs role in epics that are played in different ways. I use to run alot of CN with me and 3 CW and a DC and was quite easy..
    Maybe can try 2 GWF 2 CW and DC pt.. Should be ok..would just be fun to observe the differences
  • Options
    pandapaulpandapaul Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 424 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    Might also be interesting to see how marks stack with 2 ppl running perfect bronzewood as well.. Something I haven't tried
  • Options
    ortzhyortzhy Member Posts: 1,103 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    I have to agree to kolat, gwf is, rather was the perfect tank. Ability to sustain all that dmg and put debuffs on targets rly appealed to me and made me feel useful. Unfortunately trash dmg doesnt count and that is the truth, u'll improve your time for what 5-10 min? Most dont do 10 dungeons per day so imo trash dmg doesnt count and single target dmg on bosses is like nonexistent, only way u;ll kill a boss as a GWF is to make him die of too much laughing, and your party is long time sleeping on their keyboards.
    I am curious tho on how can u still tank? ofc i am still the last one too die like before only that now the reason is that no mob takes any kind of interest on me:)) So how are u still building threat?
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Quick note: Currently testing out Punishing Charge in the Daring Shout position... I'll give feed back in a few days about it! :)

Basic concept is that Punishing Charge generates APs much faster then Daring Shout (even with it's Marking ability), and it's 3 Charges allow it to work well thus far. I'll keep it slotted for a few days to a week to see what it's overall utility is like.
    va8Ru.gif
  • Options
    grimahgrimah Member Posts: 1,658 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I don't get it either, in CN for example. Even if i start on the dragon first, before the adds are bugged and other classes come back to go full out pew pew, i can lose agro (using max damage loadout).

Also don't know what cribs, is smoking because adds were running amock when i was playing with kolat. Which makes sense because the total damage was around 30% of what i was doing.

perhaps I have a different playstyle but when i tank i want to make sure most things are not attacking other party members, with the low damage sentinel provides, its impossible to take agro, you need more threat or damage in order to do so and the numbers just do not add up with the current design and state of GWF.
    Creator of the featured survival horror foundry: "The Silence of Haydenwick" Video Review
    and also the featured satirical comedic adventure "A Call for Heroes".
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    pandapaul wrote: »
    Now leeroy I don't know if our times would ever match up but I would be interested at some stage running a dungeon.. Maybe. CN with you. Just to get a feel on how different GWFs role in epics that are played in different ways. I use to run alot of CN with me and 3 CW and a DC and was quite easy..
    Maybe can try 2 GWF 2 CW and DC pt.. Should be ok..would just be fun to observe the differences
    I'm willing it to give it a try for sure, no reason not too... Just gonna need to be a week or so, as this week is uber busy with work/school for me! :)
    ortzhy wrote: »
    I have to agree to kolat, gwf is, rather was the perfect tank.
    I'd say we were better, but still not too shabby IMO.
    ortzhy wrote: »
    I am curious tho on how can u still tank? ofc i am still the last one too die like before only that now the reason is that no mob takes any kind of interest on me:)) So how are u still building threat?
    The Perfect Bronzewood helps honestly, though a good CW with there AoE can snake it from ya... Not perfect but still works fairly well.
    Also don't know what cribs, is smoking because adds were running amock when i was playing with kolat. Which makes sense because the total damage was around 30% of what i was doing.
    I may not have been dialed in on that MC run, honestly don't even remember it as it was one of about 75-80 I ran in the first 2 weeks of Sharandar being open! Though I'd state that one run does not make or break a player/build. If I had known you were going to be analyzing/critiquing everything I did I may have paid more attention! lol

MC isn't exactly the hardest dungeon in the Universe IMO. ;)
    perhaps I have a different playstyle but when i tank i want to make sure most things are not attacking other party members, with the low damage sentinel provides, its impossible to take agro, you need more threat or damage in order to do so and the numbers just do not add up with the current design and state of GWF.
    The threat generation is far from perfect, I readily admit that and would love the Devs to throw a bit more to the GWFs on Threat generation. I'm working with what I have, in the style I want. Which is all that matters to me in the end mi amigo... :cool:
    va8Ru.gif