test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Sentinel GWF Build - PvE Focus (PvP viable) - Leeroy Jenkins!

Comments

• Options
    emazeemaze Member Posts: 3
    edited November 2013
    question with sentinel build ... i followed ur guide and armor set and all for pve ,,but it seems that i loose agro really quick when it comes to boss fights and advise ?with skills or what i should change ? using vigilant armour set for recovery like ur guide .
  • Options
    kolatmasterkolatmaster Member Posts: 3,111 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    emaze wrote: »
    question with sentinel build ... i followed ur guide and armor set and all for pve ,,but it seems that i loose agro really quick when it comes to boss fights and advise ?with skills or what i should change ? using vigilant armour set for recovery like ur guide .
    Well the aggro thing can only be managed if your team lets you attack first, and even then it's not easy (with Feat selection). The next Module will help us with the Iron Vanguard as we get an At-Will that marks, and enhanced Threat management. Still not on the level of a GF, but better then now...

Basically my advice is you'll have to wait until it gets better, as there is not much we can do.
    va8Ru.gif
  • Options
    emazeemaze Member Posts: 3
    edited November 2013
    any wep enchant currently u suggest that might help hold boss agro ?...lot of ppl suggested vorpal ..but still not sure
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    emaze wrote: »
    any wep enchant currently u suggest that might help hold boss agro ?...lot of ppl suggested vorpal ..but still not sure
    Currently I am enjoying Perfect Bronzewood, though I'd say a Perfect Feywild (the one that drains 12% of your opponents damage, and transfers it to you) isn't a bad idea either... :)
    va8Ru.gif
  • Options
    starsk7starsk7 Member Posts: 36
    edited November 2013
    Curious to hear what you think about the new paragon path. How would you build one? Im finding I dont know where to put my points into cause i just want so much!!
  • Options
    steamroler12steamroler12 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    PVE = Avatar Of War 4 set. nuff said.
  • Options
    tybrus8tybrus8 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 114 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    Came back a few weeks ago to my GWF and i went right for this build. Can not imagine playing anything else! Thanks for putting in the the time Leeroy.

I was always a believer in if your dead you cant do DPS anyway. So as a recovering Destroyer i love that running into a group of mobs and maybe needing one restoring strike (sometimes none) i always leave with full HPs. Guild mates love this spec also and were asking WTH i been doing !!

Only thing i seem to still not let go of is the not so fast in my rotation instead of punishing charge. I just feel like in combat it feels like i am hitting more mobs for more dmg. I'm sure i am wrong and PC just needs to grow on me as i feellike i am missing the bad guys...

Anyway thanks again Leeroy!! Now just saving up for 7's then 8's 9's and 10's!! haha be well good dwarf!!!
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    starsk7 wrote: »
    Curious to hear what you think about the new paragon path. How would you build one? Im finding I dont know where to put my points into cause i just want so much!!
    Yea, I want all of it also... But for Sentinel build, LEEROY will 100% be going Iron Vanguard Paragon Path for sure. No question about it. :)

PVE = Avatar Of War 4 set. nuff said.
    It is really good, but I don't see it necessary for the Sentinel spec. Rather have the set bonus from Vigilant Warrior or Titan's stat distribution and HPs.

tybrus8 wrote: »
    Came back a few weeks ago to my GWF and i went right for this build. Can not imagine playing anything else! Thanks for putting in the the time Leeroy.
    Happy to be of service!
    I was always a believer in if your dead you cant do DPS anyway. So as a recovering Destroyer i love that running into a group of mobs and maybe needing one restoring strike (sometimes none) i always leave with full HPs. Guild mates love this spec also and were asking WTH i been doing !!
    lol... Destro is still really good IMO. Just that there is something to be said for never dying. Ever. ;)
    Only thing i seem to still not let go of is the not so fast in my rotation instead of punishing charge. I just feel like in combat it feels like i am hitting more mobs for more dmg. I'm sure i am wrong and PC just needs to grow on me as i feellike i am missing the bad guys...
    Well we won't need to worry about Punishing as much once the new Module, as Iron Vanguard is stupid good for us and we'll be rocking Threatening Rush, Frontline Surge, Trample the Fallen, etc. I've been testing a bit on the Test Shard and waiting for it to go live!
    Anyway thanks again Leeroy!! Now just saving up for 7's then 8's 9's and 10's!! haha be well good dwarf!!!
    Dwarves for the win! *high five* :D
    va8Ru.gif
  • Options
    vampirecavyvampirecavy Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I LOVE seeing another Sentinel player out there - I run a human one, myself (versatile defense plus extra feat points), but dwarves are absolutely viable as one. The Iron Vanguard path looks... freakin' amazing for sentinel, honestly. Frontline Surge, Trample the Fallen, Enduring Warrior... hell, you can literally punch people in the face with Threatening Rush (unless the change the animation), and that alone is just awesome. It's worth noting, btw, that they're swapping the locations of Unstoppable Recovery and Student of the Sword - or at least they were switched when I was last on the preview shard. I find them both to be quite helpful so I use them both, but to those who don't...

Here's what I've figured out: Enduring Warrior for solo play or with a GF because that's even -more- unkillableness, and Trample the Fallen, with the paragon feat that makes it generate more threat, for when you have to actually draw threat away from people. Usual at-wills would be Sure/Wicked strike (as much fun as punching people is, those two ultimately end up being more reliable). The encounters I was considering were Surge, Shout, and Roar, but after reading your analysis of Charge, I may have to rethink this, and Restoring Strike and Leap are still absolutely usable (if I can get off my I NEED MOAR DETERMINATION kick lol). Gonna mess around more on preview and see if I can find something works perfectly for me.

We did some heroic feat stuff differently (in particular, being a human let me max out Steely instead of going 2/5 on it), but I do understand what you did, until you reach the paragon feats. Here's what I DO get out of them:

Student of the Sword: 5/5 - Overall useful feat for the party, certainly quite handy
    Powerful Challenge: 5/5 - Not my personal choice, but hilariously powerful alongside a GF; I took plate agility instead but this is certainly good
    Grudge Style: 5/5 - No comment needed, this is good
    Master at Arms: 5/5 - This is the REASON people go down Sentinel path, it needs no explaining
    Sentinel's Aegis: 1/1 - Might as well if you've gotten this far, it outright increases effectiveness of defense stat, nevermind the restoring strike buff

... so basically, I understand what you took and why in Sentinel itself, but then we have some differences that are not small. Mainly, your lack of Unstoppable Recovery confuses me (though as I stated, preview shard had it in Sent path, so this may become a non-issue). For a true "never-die" GWF, isn't this feat almost mandatory? Thanks to this feat, I've been able to do some rather stupid things in terms of survivability. I sort of understand what you were going for with the desire for Disciple of War (and if you want that, you kind of need great weapon focus), but that removes from the never-die aspect of this setup. I went with instigator's Unstoppable Recovery instead, and also grabbed Defiance from Sent, for bonuses to Slam.

I suppose it's possible we merely had different intents - you wanted never-die with decent dps, I wanted never-die with the option to be a second (or even replacement) GF. Is this correct, or is there another reason you opted for Disciple over Unstoppable Recovery?
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    The below is a slew of solid info. :)

Though the Module 2 changes, I haven't fully updated as they could change... But I agree the Iron Vanguard will 100% be the way I am going for LEEROY JENKINS(!!!) post Mod 2. :D
    I LOVE seeing another Sentinel player out there - I run a human one, myself (versatile defense plus extra feat points), but dwarves are absolutely viable as one. The Iron Vanguard path looks... freakin' amazing for sentinel, honestly. Frontline Surge, Trample the Fallen, Enduring Warrior... hell, you can literally punch people in the face with Threatening Rush (unless the change the animation), and that alone is just awesome. It's worth noting, btw, that they're swapping the locations of Unstoppable Recovery and Student of the Sword - or at least they were switched when I was last on the preview shard. I find them both to be quite helpful so I use them both, but to those who don't...

Here's what I've figured out: Enduring Warrior for solo play or with a GF because that's even -more- unkillableness, and Trample the Fallen, with the paragon feat that makes it generate more threat, for when you have to actually draw threat away from people. Usual at-wills would be Sure/Wicked strike (as much fun as punching people is, those two ultimately end up being more reliable). The encounters I was considering were Surge, Shout, and Roar, but after reading your analysis of Charge, I may have to rethink this, and Restoring Strike and Leap are still absolutely usable (if I can get off my I NEED MOAR DETERMINATION kick lol). Gonna mess around more on preview and see if I can find something works perfectly for me.

We did some heroic feat stuff differently (in particular, being a human let me max out Steely instead of going 2/5 on it), but I do understand what you did, until you reach the paragon feats. Here's what I DO get out of them:

Student of the Sword: 5/5 - Overall useful feat for the party, certainly quite handy
    Powerful Challenge: 5/5 - Not my personal choice, but hilariously powerful alongside a GF; I took plate agility instead but this is certainly good
    Grudge Style: 5/5 - No comment needed, this is good
    Master at Arms: 5/5 - This is the REASON people go down Sentinel path, it needs no explaining
    Sentinel's Aegis: 1/1 - Might as well if you've gotten this far, it outright increases effectiveness of defense stat, nevermind the restoring strike buff

... so basically, I understand what you took and why in Sentinel itself, but then we have some differences that are not small. Mainly, your lack of Unstoppable Recovery confuses me (though as I stated, preview shard had it in Sent path, so this may become a non-issue). For a true "never-die" GWF, isn't this feat almost mandatory? Thanks to this feat, I've been able to do some rather stupid things in terms of survivability. I sort of understand what you were going for with the desire for Disciple of War (and if you want that, you kind of need great weapon focus), but that removes from the never-die aspect of this setup. I went with instigator's Unstoppable Recovery instead, and also grabbed Defiance from Sent, for bonuses to Slam.

I suppose it's possible we merely had different intents - you wanted never-die with decent dps, I wanted never-die with the option to be a second (or even replacement) GF. Is this correct, or is there another reason you opted for Disciple over Unstoppable Recovery?
    va8Ru.gif
  • Options
    barakis3ebarakis3e Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I'd love some input from you more experienced GWF's. I've convinced our pen & paper group to try out NWN. 2 of the guys have never played an online game before (our GWF and CW), 2 of us play NWN (CW & DC), and last guy has played WoW casually (GF).
    I've never played a fighter class in NWN, but I'm thinking a Sent build for GWF would be better for my friend unaccustomed to online gaming.

Would you all agree?

If so, should he follow this guide as written or no? These upcoming changes in Module 2 certainly confuse the situation, and I don't want him to get overwhelmed by the details and give up on NWN. Any specific suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

p.s. This will be a PVE only group.
  • Options
    endocinendocin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 204 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    I'm back. Got bored wit constant Shandahar stuff. Whats a good SOLO PVE spec with the changes?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    graygeminigraygemini Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Hi, I am new to NW. I have a 27 gwf and found out about your build. I wanted to follow the sentinel path too. But my starting stats were 20/13/15/9/11/11. Will i still be able to tank end game with the upcoming module? What do you think?
  • Options
    nonameidknonameidk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    graygemini wrote: »
    Hi, I am new to NW. I have a 27 gwf and found out about your build. I wanted to follow the sentinel path too. But my starting stats were 20/13/15/9/11/11. Will i still be able to tank end game with the upcoming module? What do you think?

Yes, you will still be able to tank, just get some lifesteal when you're 60
    When in doubt, just hold on. A new day will rise :)
  • Options
    tarmalentarmalen Member Posts: 1,020 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    Solo PVE spec?

Instigator all the way!
  • Options
    koalazebra1koalazebra1 Member Posts: 1,173 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    tarmalen wrote: »
    Solo PVE spec?

Instigator all the way!

how will the instigator capstone benefit you in solo playing?
  • Options
    ortzhyortzhy Member Posts: 1,103 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    how will the instigator capstone benefit you in solo playing?

is a buff for avalanche/frontline surge+ IBS and also a huge pvp buff.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Q'n'A time!

barakis3e wrote: »
    I'd love some input from you more experienced GWF's. I've convinced our pen & paper group to try out NWN. 2 of the guys have never played an online game before (our GWF and CW), 2 of us play NWN (CW & DC), and last guy has played WoW casually (GF).
    I've never played a fighter class in NWN, but I'm thinking a Sent build for GWF would be better for my friend unaccustomed to online gaming.

Would you all agree?

If so, should he follow this guide as written or no? These upcoming changes in Module 2 certainly confuse the situation, and I don't want him to get overwhelmed by the details and give up on NWN. Any specific suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

p.s. This will be a PVE only group.
    I'd say Sentinel is a very forgiving spec, as it's obviously a bit harder to die on it... Though positioning can be very important for Add aggro-control, though after Mod 2 Sentinels should all be Iron Vanguard Paragon Path which should help threat management a bunch.

Short answer is: Yes. :)

endocin wrote: »
    I'm back. Got bored wit constant Shandahar stuff. Whats a good SOLO PVE spec with the changes?
    Welcome back!!! :cool:

And solo-PvE spec, give me after Mod2 this thurs, but I'll try and throw something up earlier also...

graygemini wrote: »
    Greetings! ;)

20/13/15? Str/Con/Dex, yes?

I'd put 6 points into Str/Con, and let everything else increase by 2 to have final: 26/19/17/11/13/13

Higher Con would be better, but it's not necessary and you can definitely rock face as is!
    va8Ru.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    So a bit of an update on Module 2:

Been testing different variations of Sentinel on the test shard, and currently I am leaning towards a more DPS oriented spec. Mind you this is more PvE oriented and would only PvP for lulz. (Hence I am not using Unstoppable Recovery!)

Iron Vanguard Paragon Path

Feats:

3/3: Disciple of Strength/Toughness
    3/3: Endless Assault/Armor Specialization
    3/3: Constitution Focus & 2/5: Steely Defense
    3/3: Devastating Critical

Instigator Tree:

5/5: Student of the Sword

Destroyer Tree:

5/5: Deep Gash

Sentinel:

5/5: Scale Agility
    5/5: Battle Trample
    5/5: Powerful Challenge
    5/5: Master at Arms
    1/1: Sentinel's Aegis

Rotation:

Passive/Class Features:

Weapon Master
    Trample the Fallen

Bravery (Slotted more for when soloing/keeping a boss in check, or making CN runs!)

At-Wills:

Threatening Rush
    Wicked Strike

Encounters:

Battle Fury
    (Loving this, particularly with the new party buff!)
    Punishing Charge (Useful for Kiting adds in FH/Karru/etc, and AP generation!)
    Restoring Strike (Duh!)
    Frontline Surge (Triggers Trample the Fallen...)
    Not So Fast (Triggers Trample the Fallen...)
    Indomitable Battle Strike (Cause I like killing things.)

Dailies:

Indomitable Strength
    Slam

So that's where I'm headed. Still use full Vigilant Warlord for running through Dungeons, and the full Titan when tanking large about of adds or a boss. The extra damage from Deep Gash uber bleed, and the Trample the Fallen (particularly when CWs spam their powers) plus using judicious use of Threating Rush followed by an Encounter power to trigger Powerful Challenge... LEEROY JENKINS now does respectable DPS. Nothing like a Destro/Intsitgator spec, but he kills things quite a bit faster then before and that helps the team a lot.

Also I've been testing out a Perfect Feytouched Enchantment on his weapon and I have been enjoying immensely, more so then Bronzewood thus far. It increases my DPS and helps the party take less damage over all also. Particularly on bosses... So check it out!

Note: The above is subject to change when we go live, but I've been enjoying it thus far... Thoughts?
    va8Ru.gif
  • Options
    grimahgrimah Member Posts: 1,658 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    going to go back to sentinel myself. Looks nice but i will probably use it more to troll in pvp than do PvE (because i have a GF tank which i also love).

But i think i will take grudge style, though its not going to be much at all, i think without it you wont be able to keep agro on boss targets since they are immune to cc. But battle trample is very nice.... ohh the choices.
    Creator of the featured survival horror foundry: "The Silence of Haydenwick" Video Review
    and also the featured satirical comedic adventure "A Call for Heroes".
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    grimah wrote: »
    going to go back to sentinel myself. Looks nice but i will probably use it more to troll in pvp than do PvE (because i have a GF tank which i also love).

But i think i will take grudge style, though its not going to be much at all, i think without it you wont be able to keep agro on boss targets since they are immune to cc. But battle trample is very nice.... ohh the choices.
    That is also an option for sure. Maybe take that over Powerful Challenge?

Though if you are using Sure Strike with Grudge style you'll have no AoE At-Will (Wicked Strike/Reaping), unless you were not using Threatening Rush...

Against Bosses I was planning on using Threatening Rush repeatedly, and having Trample the Fallen slotted out for Bravery.
    va8Ru.gif
  • Options
    zuthuulzuthuul Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Hey koalat,

I love my GWF and have put so much time and effort into him. I started off as a destroyer and switched to a sentinel after the initial nerf. I decided I wanted to go back to destroyer just to do some more damage comparison, but I miss the ridiculous survivability of a sentinel, so, thank you for your in depth guide and build. I'm probably going to go back to sentinel and use your build, but I'm not sure if I should wait for shadowmantle and try out your iron vanguard update. The only thing that I see that I'll miss is WMS for the damage and debuff. What are your thoughts on that trade-off for threatening rush?

Dragon Server

Ragnos Fireborn - 18.7k GWF Half-Elf
    Eva Darkblood - 13.8k TR Elf
    Venger Force of Evil - 13.7k CW Tiefling
    Azaghal Belegost - 16.5k GF Dwarf
    Drak'ar - 13.3k HR Drow
    Roghthar Darkspawn - 11.5k SW Human
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    zuthuul wrote: »
    Hey koalat,

I love my GWF and have put so much time and effort into him. I started off as a destroyer and switched to a sentinel after the initial nerf. I decided I wanted to go back to destroyer just to do some more damage comparison, but I miss the ridiculous survivability of a sentinel, so, thank you for your in depth guide and build. I'm probably going to go back to sentinel and use your build, but I'm not sure if I should wait for shadowmantle and try out your iron vanguard update. The only thing that I see that I'll miss is WMS for the damage and debuff. What are your thoughts on that trade-off for threatening rush?
    No problem bud, happy to be of service!

As for waiting for Shadowmantle, I definitely would because Iron Vanguard (thus far in my testing) has been much better for Threat Generation. Which is something we sorely needed. It's not perfect, or on par with a GF, but it is much better and definitely a step in the right direction.

Hope that helps! :)
    va8Ru.gif
  • Options
    grimahgrimah Member Posts: 1,658 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    threatening rush spamming will not be effective, your better off using wicked strike. But yea for bosses I would most likely use only sure strike + threatening rush.

I think powerful challenge bonus is too high to ignore with its easy application. so its either being able to take some agro on trash and not on boss or the other way around.
    Creator of the featured survival horror foundry: "The Silence of Haydenwick" Video Review
    and also the featured satirical comedic adventure "A Call for Heroes".
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    threatening rush spamming will not be effective, your better off using wicked strike. But yea for bosses I would most likely use only sure strike + threatening rush.
    I was saying Threatening Rush over and over, back to back... :p

I was more like: Threatening Rush + Encounter for additional +15% damage

Basically alternating Threatening Rush whenever an Encounter power up to make sure I get the additional 15% Damage. ;)
    I think powerful challenge bonus is too high to ignore with its easy application. so its either being able to take some agro on trash and not on boss or the other way around.
    Yea... Will need to look at how Valindra's dungeon works out too. Yay for more testing! :D
    va8Ru.gif
  • Options
    zuthuulzuthuul Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I gotta say, going back to this build through your DPS spec of Iron Vanguard is so much fun. I haven't tried PvP yet, but that's what my TR, CW and second GWF are for. I love the threat control and the burst damage triggered by marks and powerful challenge. I'm actually critting (on average) 12-15k per encounter. The CC and multiple mob control is much better now than it originally was with pre-mod2 sentinel. My gear is r7+ enchants on 2/2 AoW and 2/2 Vigilant set with CN weapons and a Greater Terror Enchantment. I'm planning on switching to feytouched or bronzewood, but it'll take some time to farm that. I survive so well that I have yet to be able to test out the new SF on my armor, but I'm looking into a briartwine or negation armor enchant. I just thought you'd like to hear some (positive) feedback on your build and the new GWF paragon.

Dragon Server

Ragnos Fireborn - 18.7k GWF Half-Elf
    Eva Darkblood - 13.8k TR Elf
    Venger Force of Evil - 13.7k CW Tiefling
    Azaghal Belegost - 16.5k GF Dwarf
    Drak'ar - 13.3k HR Drow
    Roghthar Darkspawn - 11.5k SW Human
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    zuthuul wrote: »
    I gotta say, going back to this build through your DPS spec of Iron Vanguard is so much fun. I haven't tried PvP yet, but that's what my TR, CW and second GWF are for. I love the threat control and the burst damage triggered by marks and powerful challenge. I'm actually critting (on average) 12-15k per encounter. The CC and multiple mob control is much better now than it originally was with pre-mod2 sentinel. My gear is r7+ enchants on 2/2 AoW and 2/2 Vigilant set with CN weapons and a Greater Terror Enchantment. I'm planning on switching to feytouched or bronzewood, but it'll take some time to farm that. I survive so well that I have yet to be able to test out the new SF on my armor, but I'm looking into a briartwine or negation armor enchant. I just thought you'd like to hear some (positive) feedback on your build and the new GWF paragon.
    Glad your enjoying the build mi amigo! Always good to hear that people find the work worthwhile, and I'm always looking to tweak the build... So any insight/opinions are welcome! :D
    va8Ru.gif
  • Options
    caelarancaelaran Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    New here and liking the concept of this build, is it the same for module 2? Also, what is the Iron Vanguard build folks are referencing above? I hate the search "feature" of these forums....
  • Options
    sharpfangjr#5006 sharpfangjr Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Is your Iron Vanguard update effective in pvp? I like to mix things up a bit while questing just to break up the monotony. My gwf is half-orc.
  • Options
    kryzisukryzisu Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Hello Leeroy/Kolatmaster,

First , thank you sooo much for your builds/comments and help it's really nice. It helped me a lot, and i enjoy reading you : )

I just have a little question:

I wanted to know if the talent Student of the Sword is really more interesting than disciple of war(destroyer tree), espacially in pvp if you have a bit of recovery (vigilant war lord set)