test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Changes to Foundry profanity filter?

Comments

• Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited August 2013
    Moderator Notice:
    . . . . .
    Insulting and unproductive replies removed. Folks, I'm just as upset, if not more, about this as many of you. Regardless, there is never a need to fling insults. Besides, it's the weekend and most of you very well know that during most Weekends the only Staff on the Forums are the Volunteer Staff. So please, Read the Rules and adhere to them. Do not reply to this Moderator Notice, as doing so is not allowed either. Thanks!
  • Options
    eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I bet they're not checking item names...

Actually, I've also got a dialog that contains "Summoning your minions" so I'm questioning just that one.
  • Options
    runebanerunebane Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    eldarth wrote: »
    Actually, I've also got a dialog that contains "Summoning your minions" so I'm questioning just that one.

I don't think minion(s) is on the list either. I thought at first it might be like master (master is blocked, but not masters). But a simple check by toggling the filter shows neither minion or minions is blocked in regular chat. I bet it was something else in the dialogue that got it put on the list by mistake.
    Halgarth's Legacy - NWS-DSTGFZHFR
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited August 2013
    . . . . Yeah, "minion" and "minions" are not censored. I have many NPCs with "minion" in their names or group titles as well as dialog with both singular and plural versions, and they are not censored. Far too many other things are though.

. . . . They should just remove the foundry filter and let the game's censor take care of it, censoring things for people who have it checked. Forcing censoring of words in foundry creation is not helping. Let players report missions for obscene language or turn on their censor filter.
  • Options
    saerraelsaerrael Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    zebular wrote: »
    . . . . They should just remove the foundry filter and let the game's censor take care of it, censoring things for people who have it checked. Forcing censoring of words in foundry creation is not helping. Let players report missions for obscene language or turn on their censor filter.

^--- This. I never really understood why the Foundry has a filter, anyhow.

Aside this, it is not the words, but how one uses said (or any kind of) words. A filter will not aid in the long run, only inhibit and therefore reduce overall Foundry quality.
    I'm quite positive nine out of ten Authors here would have no problem at all to write a story that would get reported by the first person to dare enter using exceptional innocent wording. Able, but not doing so, not only to prevent getting flagged, reported, stripped of Foundry privileges and/ or banned, but simple due to not wishing to write such a story in the first place.
    And then I am not even starting on the fact that Authors actually honour and respect Cryptic. Most of us can be trusted. That one or two bad apples show us to be a bad batch and thus must be forcefully pushed into one or another direction is not a very positive point of view.
    It hints that the honour and respect is not mutual, and I do not think I am the only one with this feeling.

/ramble
  • Options
    pris23pris23 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 204 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    . . . . Yeah, "minion" and "minions" are not censored. I have many NPCs with "minion" in their names or group titles as well as dialog with both singular and plural versions, and they are not censored. Far too many other things are though.

I think you are right. The players can always report something that is actually profane using these common words and phrases. The game has a filter and it is up to the player whether or not they choose to use it. They should let it go at that. I could almost understand if it was filtering actual phrases, but the words by themselves simply are not profane in any way. It makes no sense to me at all.

In either case I am unable to update or even finish creating the next part of my campaign due to this. I have already spent 3 weeks just building my maps. I will not spend that much time trying to re-work my dialog over some overly excessive filter. :( I do hope that this is fixed soon so that I can continue to publish.
    The Secret to Paradise: NWS-DCV313OOC FOUNDRY DAILY
    Part 1 - Paradise Lost? NW-DDMMIKYTB
    Part 2 - Into the Mist NW-DIJXRI4NT
    Part 3 - Wind of The North NW-DFB9K8KWH

Leave feedback for The Secret to Paradise
  • Options
    bluedarkybluedarky Member Posts: 1,232 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Umm, the issue has also been reported as affecting the ingame chats profanity filter...

On the other hand, I have also discovered that minion and minions are not considered profanity so I have removed them from the list.
  • Options
    lolsorhandlolsorhand Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 981 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    bluedarky wrote: »
    Umm, the issue has also been reported as affecting the ingame chats profanity filter...

On the other hand, I have also discovered that minion and minions are not considered profanity so I have removed them from the list.

You can add "Whispers.." that is considered profanity.
    I like turtles.

Brethren of the Five, Campaign. - Story focused
    The Dwarven Tale - Hack 'N Slash
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    lolsorhand wrote: »
    You can add "Whispers.." that is considered profanity.

Not tagged in my Following the Whispers campaign, though.
  • Options
    runebanerunebane Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013

That would certainly help. I don't understand why the foundry needs a separate filter that only stops what everyone else can block anyway. At this rate though they are censoring themselves. Just today I noticed the low level mail notice that tells you about the blacklake rogue quest had a bit of censored stuff in it too.
    Halgarth's Legacy - NWS-DSTGFZHFR
  • Options
    lolsorhandlolsorhand Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 981 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    saerrael wrote: »
    Not tagged in my Following the Whispers campaign, though.

But tagged in my "The Bloodied Letter" :p
    I like turtles.

• Options
    edited August 2013
    lolsorhand wrote: »
    But tagged in my "The Bloodied Letter" :p

How odd o.O
    I wonder why, maybe the ellipsis?
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    saerrael wrote: »
    How odd o.O
    I wonder why, maybe the ellipsis?

Dunno, I don't really care though haha, Just found it funny.
    I like turtles.

• Options
    antonkyleantonkyle Member Posts: 776 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    This fixed yet? Can I add John now?
  • Options
    moonchipzmoonchipz Member Posts: 96
    edited August 2013
    antonkyle wrote: »
    This fixed yet? Can I add John now?

Nope...........................
  • Options
    ghestapwghestapw Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    So, my foundry mission that I've put a LOT of time into (easily 60+ hours) is now all worthless? Because the entire mission is to find a missing child, help a father find his daughter before the Nashers do. But now I can't change, edit, tweak, or improve my foundry because the word "Child" is a profane word?

To quote Inigo Montoya, "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/profane

I've worked very hard on my foundry mission and I've spent a LOT of money on this game. I've understood the fact that I couldn't use words like 'titmouse' and had to change them to field mouse instead. But to suggest that my foundry is unacceptable because I use the word CHILD in it? How insane is that? Am I to be forced to scrap sixty hours or more (actually in all likelihood a LOT more) because you've decided to change the filters suddenly?

Child is not a profane word.
    I am not using it in any sense other than the completely harmless description of a lost girl who needs to be found.
    This is ridiculous and needs to be fixed ASAP.
    Rhev@ghestapw - Co-GL <iTyrant> - ityrantguild.com - Beholder server
    Try out my first foundry mission - The Missing Youth - NW-DGX79EG65
  • Options
    bazagbazag Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Most of these new words that have been marked profane are probably not because the word itself is considered profane but because it uses letters that out of context might be considered profane.

eg, Diarrhea is considered profane because of the three letters Dee Eye Ay, which I can only assume is used the block the abbreviation of phrases such as "Die in a Fire". Not saying this is good, just explaining what is likely happening. In game anyway
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited August 2013
    [/COLOR]. . . . They should just remove the foundry filter and let the game's censor take care of it, censoring things for people who have it checked. Forcing censoring of words in foundry creation is not helping. Let players report missions for obscene language or turn on their censor filter.

I agree full-heartedly.
    Certain words absolutely should be censored. Most of the big four letter words should remain filtered indefinitely but dam* and *** for example should not be censored except by the in game filter. I mean the developers have used dam* in their own content! Why can't the players?!
  • Options
    koboldbard2koboldbard2 Banned Users Posts: 334 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    I agree full-heartedly.
    Certain words absolutely should be censored. Most of the big four letter words should remain filtered indefinitely but dam* and *** for example should not be censored except by the in game filter. I mean the developers have used dam* in their own content! Why can't the players?!
    I remember when they said Foundry would be able to make content identical to official content.
  • Options
    keithejrkeithejr Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    ok, I just found this thread today after deciding to look why my quest had had no plays in 3 or 4 weeks. I have 34 tasks on my quest from the profanity filter. My quest is called "Master Wa". I literally have to rename my quest and the main characters name and every reference.

An email to me that my quest had been flagged for profane words, either in game or to my registered email would have been nice. I'm really quite annoyed
  • Options
    rokoilrokoil Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    The profane sensor needs re-calibrated. Indeed. I cannot find out which words exactly are holding me up on a few spots. I have rewritten the initial quest starting dialogue several times and its still profane. Other spots as well. I had to break out the thesaurus and try a few tweaks, its still profane.

Im with the OP. Ive spent a lot of time and more than a few dollars on this game and this kind of censorship is nonsense. Been playing DnD since the 80's and typically the main goal is kill someone for something bad they did or are gonna do, and take their stuff with some other adventure and puzzles in between.
  • Options
    eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    rokoil wrote: »
    The profane sensor needs re-calibrated. Indeed. I cannot find out which words exactly are holding me up on a few spots. I have rewritten the initial quest starting dialogue several times and its still profane. Other spots as well. I had to break out the thesaurus and try a few tweaks, its still profane.

Easy to skip over in a thread with 200+ replies, but if you hover your mouse over the yellow exclamation sign it *should* show you the word(s) it has flagged. (Apparently it does not always work though, so YMMV).
  • Options
    zerkovaplayerzerkovaplayer Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Copy and paste into chat while in Foundry. It's @#$% out the "objectionable" words. Which are, at the moment, a truly ludicrous number.
    Foundry Quest: Breaking the Chain NW-DELOGH4IH
    (Daily eligible! Could use more reviews. Largely complete.)
  • Options
    ghestapwghestapw Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    eldarth wrote: »
    Easy to skip over in a thread with 200+ replies, but if you hover your mouse over the yellow exclamation sign it *should* show you the word(s) it has flagged. (Apparently it does not always work though, so YMMV).

Yes, very sorry.

I've actually been reading
    http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?446231-Changes-to-Foundry-profanity-filter

Where I should have posted.

But it was first thing in the morning, I hadn't had my coffee yet, and I hadn't been to these forums in a few days. I just realized that child was filtered, raged, came here, posted. I did realize later that there was already a topic about it, mea culpa.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    First of all, let me apologize for making my own thread and not just posting here originally.

Secondly, I've read every post on this thread as I started this response and everyone seems to be missing one major point. Has anyone noticed that this nerf came right at the same time that they put zen and keys on sale AND said "GET EM QUICK!!!!"

I'm not flat out saying that they did this as a distraction, but I've seen this tactic used before in buisness as a justification. "Oh, a small percentage are complaining about something that started last friday? But look at our numbers, our sales are up 700% since friday, so we must be doing something right! Ignore the whiners."

Again, I'm not saying that this was done intentionally, but if you're worried about lawyers / stock holders.... this is what they will care about. The dollars earned, not the number of complaints on a forum.

Finally, 2 responses to other people's posts I've read:
    I remember when they said Foundry would be able to make content identical to official content.

Yeah, I remember that too. Remember in beta when they said that there was a 'trial' version of the foundry running? With the implication that the rest of the features (like bosses, nodes, and chests) would be implemented when the game went live?

bluedarky wrote: »
    The devs are doing their best but they have their own constraints (These are called shareholders, lawyers, trademark owners and managers) which will never fully mesh with the players wants and opinions, and the community mods can only pass on peoples wants and opinions, it'll never be up to them what actually gets fixed or what has priority.

You say that, but the only thing it takes to stand up to the legal bullies is a spine and a sense of purpose. IE Lavabit closing it's doors rather than letting the USGovt bully them into spying on their users.
  • Options
    zahinderzahinder Member Posts: 897 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I'm unclear why lawyers need something beyond the basic default profanity filter and 'stuff can be reported as offensive and acted on.' That seems pretty CYA to me.

I also don't know if Cryptic truly appreciates how important Foundry is to NW. NW is not a novel game, the content and gameplay is extremely limited. The only two draws are 'D&D' and 'Foundry', and 'D&D' isn't even a unique draw (since DDO, you know, exists).

The one truly unique thing about this game is Foundry. It stands out from EVERY SINGLE OTHER MMO out there (except for STO -- but that's also owned by Cryptic, and it appeals to a mostly different player base, being specific scifi).

Maybe I'm highly biased, but there is literally nothing more important than making sure Foundry is on solid foundations and well-supported. Everything else? Other games do the same, often better.
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • Options
    zahinderzahinder Member Posts: 897 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    And as I said earlier, it's easy to be highly offensive or profane without using bad words.

Here's a paragraph describing someone getting into and starting a car without using any typical terms for such:
    'Rodrigo approached the metal and glass vehicle, eyeing its smooth lines. Finally it was his! He inserted the metal, twisted, and the aperture swung open. With one smooth movement he was inside, the luxurious tanned skin beneath him, cradling him in the machine's interior.
    He shut himself inside, and turned the conveyance on. What a wonderful sound... the vehicle rumbled low, ready to move.
    Setting the handle, he started forward slowly, getting a feel for its movement. Then he pressed down, and away he went!'

I didn't need to use steering wheel, gas, drive, door, key, car, auto, automobile, etc.

But if 'talking about cars' was offensive, it'd still be offensive.

(I'm refraining from doing the same regarding actually offensive stuff because, well, it'd be ACTUALLY OFFENSIVE)
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • Options
    antonkyleantonkyle Member Posts: 776 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I still fail to see why John is offensive.

I can understand the child one. Someone could make a quest where the aim is to go into a school and butcher hundreds of children. I don't agree with it but I understand. (would be far better to just remove the quest when and if.)

But John! Even used in the only way it could be offensive, it is still not offensive. Your a john you are... er... ok! (I could still put.. you pay for the attention of a woman, you are a fool.)

As for some of the others... me in, master, hard on,.....come on! FFS, oh I can have that one.

People that want to be offensive will still be able to be offensive. There is nothing that can be done about it other than remove the quests as and when they come.

May as well scrap the foundry and then the game can offer nothing.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    zahinder wrote: »
    I also don't know if Cryptic truly appreciates how important Foundry is to NW. NW is not a novel game, the content and gameplay is extremely limited. The only two draws are 'D&D' and 'Foundry', and 'D&D' isn't even a unique draw (since DDO, you know, exists).

Maybe I'm highly biased, but there is literally nothing more important than making sure Foundry is on solid foundations and well-supported. Everything else? Other games do the same, often better.

I couldn't agree with this more. Is neverwinter a well polished game? No, most people exploit dungeons in some way or another. Is the PvP unique or new? No, there are countless pvp games that are better then neverwinter, including one that came out recently (i forget the name) that is an action pvp game with fantasy classes and it does pvp FAR better. Is it an engrossing storyline? Meh, that's up for debate, but one thing you could do to make it secure in that last place is give the fans the tools to create content!

I can understand the child one. Someone could make a quest where the aim is to go into a school and butcher hundreds of children. I don't agree with it but I understand. (would be far better to just remove the quest when and if.)

There is quite figuratively an almost infinite number of ways to offend someone that is playing this game. It makes zero sense to punish the creative authors for something that hasn't happened, or has happened once. We don't look at a drunk driving accident and say "well, let's take away all the cars in this town!"
  • Options
    narayansinghnarayansingh Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 243 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    <snip>

You can understand how the word "child" is profane? Then please explain it to me. Your example above has nothing to do with child being profane. I would say that the word "child" is more common then any of the other words that have been flagged as profane.

I have to believe that this whole mess is a huge mistake. If it is not??? I hate to think what comes next.

Narayan
    Sweet Water and Light Laughter Till Next We Meet.
    Narayan