What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Changes to Foundry profanity filter?

Comments

• Options
    karranorkarranor Member Posts: 191 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    This is serious weak sauce right here. Please fix this ASAP. It makes no sense at all.
    Main(s): Kyruel Foecrusher OP, Meriki The Mad CW, Mortalis TR, Gorebringer GWF, Karranor HR
    Loads of videos: Neverwinter Video Guides!
    Find Neverwinter Game Guides on DDM's Realm!

The Fyxt RPG combines digital convenience with the fun of a tabletop RPG. Play the Fyxt RPG now for free!

Play Smarter, Not Harder! ~ Karranor
  • Options
    koboldbard2koboldbard2 Banned Users Posts: 334 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    taevannya wrote: »
    It is also quite possibly the most common male name in the the English language.
    Which is why it's the slang name for a prostitute's customer.
  • Options
    lolsorhandlolsorhand Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 981 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013

Still find it funny :D

It's seriously just one of those... Well, I'm too baffled by this to even facepalm. (The Profanity changes.)
    I like turtles.

Brethren of the Five, Campaign. - Story focused
    The Dwarven Tale - Hack 'N Slash
  • Options
    melindenmelinden Member Posts: 619 Arc User
    edited August 2013

Same reason why the Medieval nickname for my son's name (Richard) is most closely associated with a) an unpleasant person b) male anatomy.

In all this I can only imagine the ridiculous things we are going to end up writing if this stays in place. "Why won't someone think of the small immature humans!"
    Find me in game with @DoctorBadger
    (Un)Academic Field Work Foundry Campaign: NWS-DAPZB2CTZ
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    melinden wrote: »
    Same reason why the Medieval nickname for my son's name (Richard) is most closely associated with a) an unpleasant person b) male anatomy.

In all this I can only imagine the ridiculous things we are going to end up writing if this stays in place. "Why won't someone think of the small immature humans!"
    Please Sir Joh... I mean brave Sir Knight, travel to the jung... I mean the hot and humid place with lots of trees, and save my chil... I mean offspring. My mast... err I mean the person I work for without pay, kid... umm, took him.
  • Options
    antonkyleantonkyle Member Posts: 776 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    melinden wrote: »

This was all part of the rhyming slang rather than the profanity in the 12th and 13th centuries. Other rhyming nicknames include Polly from Molly, Bob from Rob, Bill from Will and Hodge from Roger. None of which are offensive words. Another one for Richard is Hick but that is all but unheard of these days. Good old cockneys.
  • Options
    aaldaemonaaldaemon Member Posts: 94
    edited August 2013
    Bumping this to top. A response would be greatly appreciated.
    Assassination Contract NW-DOD6JMS5H - story + combat. Trading reviews.
    I'm improving my quest on an almost daily basis - so if you come back to it after a week or so, it won't be quite the same!
  • Options
    neverwinter1776neverwinter1776 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    child.jpg

Just sayin
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    child.jpg

Just sayin
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    child.jpg

Just sayin
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    lolsorhandlolsorhand Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 981 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013

Just sayin

Dubble posting much? Just sayin - My post just like yours, isn't productive at all.
    I like turtles.

• Options
    crok2crok2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I seem to recall some countries don't allow violence against children in video games. And since we can reskin an encounter and call it a child, I am guessing legal had a problem with this. Just a guess. Maybe some of the other words have issues in other languages,
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    crok2 wrote: »
    I seem to recall some countries don't allow violence against children in video games. And since we can reskin an encounter and call it a child, I am guessing legal had a problem with this. Just a guess. Maybe some of the other words have issues in other languages,

Doesn't really matter, it's like a bad joke.
    I like turtles.

• Options
    taevannyataevannya Member Posts: 70 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    crok2 wrote: »

Even if that's the case, that is something that should be determined by review if it is appropriate or not. Just banning the word 'child' isn't going to change someone from that wants put in something horrific like that and just describe it avoiding the word 'child' all together. They could say 'young girl' or 'young boy' instead. It changes nothing in that regard other than restricting writers in their use of vocabulary. Certain words that are always used in a profane manner? Sure. We all know what those are. Words used in everyday conversation by four year olds? That's a bit excessive.
    NW-DS9N7XBWI : Tel'met Beth'en Segreduin
    NW-DRSTZIHXU : The Silver Hand (needs reviews, RP map)
  • Options
    moonchipzmoonchipz Member Posts: 96
    edited August 2013
    lol @ that screen shot
  • Options
    bluedarkybluedarky Member Posts: 1,232 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Ok, I'm keeping a list of the new profane words on TavernUGC here, I'll keep that list updated as we find more, also can we restrict posting on the issue to one thread (preferably this one) as they'll all be merged when a mod gets around to it and people keep cross posting which is against forum rules.
  • Options
    narayansinghnarayansingh Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 243 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    Well, their day is almost over and nothing new.

Looks like we are still the red-headed step-child. (Oops, did I use a bad word?)

Narayan
    Sweet Water and Light Laughter Till Next We Meet.
    Narayan
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Well, their day is almost over and nothing new.

Looks like we are still the red-headed step-child. (Oops, did I use a bad word?)

Narayan

It's a Friday, they're gearing up for a massive release less than a few months after launch, there's a chance that they may not have had time to respond or even look at the thread.

Let's just keep the thread alive and keep it on the first page, that way when one of them checks it it'll still be on the first page ok.
  • Options
    rogu3ishrogu3ish Member Posts: 84
    edited August 2013
    bluedarky wrote: »
    It's a Friday, they're gearing up for a massive release less than a few months after launch, there's a chance that they may not have had time to respond or even look at the thread.

Let's just keep the thread alive and keep it on the first page, that way when one of them checks it it'll still be on the first page ok.

I still find it incredibly disappointing that we haven't even had an acknowledgement of the change. I can't even call it a problem, really, because we don't know if it was intended.

We have community managers, right? I know there are many other issues with the game, but this would take the relevant developer literally seconds to answer (intended? yes or no), and the CM no more than a few minutes to compose a response.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Felling the Forgemaster: NW-DOHCJ5VE3 (Elligible for Foundry Daily)
    Fleshrend's Big Adventure: NW-DBWJJYFDK
    (Elligible for Foundry Daily)
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    rogu3ish wrote: »
    I still find it incredibly disappointing that we haven't even had an acknowledgement of the change. I can't even call it a problem, really, because we don't know if it was intended.

We have community managers, right? I know there are many other issues with the game, but this would take the relevant developer literally seconds to answer (intended? yes or no), and the CM no more than a few minutes to compose a response.

How people think these things happen - CM reads posts and stands up at his desk yelling, "Hey, is this change to the profanity filter intended?" before sitting down and replying into the thread with the response.

Reality - CM reads thread, shoots off email to who he thinks it's relevant too, followed by one of two things.

1. Email bounces around for 2 too three days until it reaches someone who know's what's going on.
    2. Email is sent to the right person but they ignore it for a few days in favour of the emails from their direct superior demanding changes and reports for the big update.
  • Options
    eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    klixan wrote: »
    Oh this explains a lot. I have a girl named Pen in one of my missions, and one of my objectives was to 'Find Pen's Missing Father'. But I got an error telling me I had used profanity. But for the life of me I couldn't figure out what word it didn't like.

Someone probably already responded and let you know that you can put your mouse over the exclamation icon and it will show you which word(s) it didn't like.

Edit: D'oh - yep Raph beat me to it.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    It could be a problem with one of my quests. I'm not going to be editing this for a while.

[IMG][/img]profane_zps9c8d92db.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    antonkyle wrote: »
    It could be a problem with one of my quests. I'm not going to be editing this for a while.

[IMG][/img]profane_zps9c8d92db.jpg

I'm fairly certain my quests look the same, except less... lol, that's just insane. Yeah, I won't be doing any edits either, and I have far less "profane" words in my quests.

Edit: Yup, all my quests have a massive ammounts of profanity in them. I'm not even moving a finger in the foundry until this is fixed lol
    I like turtles.

• Options
    crok2crok2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    wow, 29? heh... I have one with 21 and thought that was bad :P
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    It would seem "Whispers" are a profane word in my quests :)

This was too good to be left out. xD
    paIkHdVl.jpg

To be more clear, "You see a open book with the cover of a golden lion, it stands out quite well from the other books in the room." <--- Profanity to the extreme.
    I like turtles.

• Options
    edited August 2013
    bluedarky wrote: »
    How people think these things happen - CM reads posts and stands up at his desk yelling, "Hey, is this change to the profanity filter intended?" before sitting down and replying into the thread with the response.

Reality - CM reads thread, shoots off email to who he thinks it's relevant too, followed by one of two things.

1. Email bounces around for 2 too three days until it reaches someone who know's what's going on.
    2. Email is sent to the right person but they ignore it for a few days in favour of the emails from their direct superior demanding changes and reports for the big update.
    Neither of those seems to include the CM posting "hey, we see you're having a problem..."
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Bar three NPC's 'child' It's all John. What gets me is the word John for which is used for the type of man to go and pay for it is actually john. Or even johns. It's not something you hear in the UK, I had to look it up. Strange though as I bet kerb crawlers and punters are fine.

The thing is the quest is a The Beatles parody. If I can't use John, in this case Long John Silver. I may as well bin the quest. If I bin that quest, possibly the only one that's 'me' then I'm through with Neverwinter. I knows that's a bit Mardy but, mah! I'm not happy.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    antonkyle wrote: »
    Bar three NPC's 'child' It's all John. What gets me is the word John for which is used for the type of man to go and pay for it is actually john. Or even johns. It's not something you hear in the UK, I had to look it up. Strange though as I bet kerb crawlers and punters are fine.

The thing is the quest is a The Beatles parody. If I can't use John, in this case Long John Silver. I may as well bin the quest. If I bin that quest, possibly the only one that's 'me' then I'm through with Neverwinter. I knows that's a bit Mardy but, mah! I'm not happy.

Well... Read my post above lol... I mean, I can't even write that without it being profane. Makes much sense? :p
    I like turtles.

• Options
    edited August 2013
    lolsorhand wrote: »
    To be more clear, "You see a open book with the cover of a golden lion, it stands out quite well from the other books in the room." <--- Profanity to the extreme.
    What's the profane word in there?
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    What's the profane word in there?

Ask Cryptic, they marked it as profane :)
    I like turtles.