What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Changes to Foundry profanity filter?

Comments

• Options
    izatarizatar Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,161 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    "John" is one of the Christian apostles! And it is one of the most common Christian names in the world! Oh, but you can say Lau Tzu or Buddha or Muhammad. Is this not unfair and racist?
  • Options
    narayansinghnarayansingh Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 243 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    eldarth wrote: »
    Perhaps
    Everyone
    Now
    Is aware how
    Stupid this filter has become.

Assume we're not
    Somehow all twelve-year old
    Sycophants.

Ha! Suck on that Thought Police! 1984! Orwell Lives!

Attica! Attica!

And why haven't we heard from Cryptic on this? Too embarrassed?

AT-TI-CA!!! AT-TI-CA!!! ;)

Narayan
    Sweet Water and Light Laughter Till Next We Meet.
    Narayan
  • Options
    glantorxglantorx Member Posts: 189 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Please cryptic engage the third brain cell and fix this.....
  • Options
    xpurpleinsanityxxpurpleinsanityx Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    John is another term for the customer of a prostitute.

Keeping in mind that they -still- have courtesans XD

THAT is EPIC fail.
    yGX5UJU.jpg
    Threads: Part 1: Rising of the Dragons (NW-DNGIC6AJC) | Part 2: Abyssal Pursuit (NW-DESQ9HQAZ)
  • Options
    hybridx04hybridx04 Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    @moonchipz - Yeah, just seen times recently that it was used seriously and sincerely... *facepalms*

@eldarth - Amusing post. If the banhammer somehow gets you for that... well, I'm leaving before it hits me XD
  • Options
    saerraelsaerrael Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I had really hoped to see any Cryptic response by now, either here or in the other threads. *frowns*
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Keeping in mind that they -still- have courtesans XD

THAT is EPIC fail.

And only female ones at that. Which could be considered to be discrimination.
  • Options
    xpurpleinsanityxxpurpleinsanityx Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    saerrael wrote: »
    And only female ones at that. Which could be considered to be discrimination.

Very true. I'm personally extremely offended.
    yGX5UJU.jpg
    Threads: Part 1: Rising of the Dragons (NW-DNGIC6AJC) | Part 2: Abyssal Pursuit (NW-DESQ9HQAZ)
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Very true. I'm personally extremely offended.

They should add male ones to balance it out (somewhat, there is still 3rd gender, of course). Though I doubt that would happen. If anything does happen, it would be the removal of the female ones.

/offtopic

Sorry for the derailment, people.
  • Options
    raphaeldisantoraphaeldisanto Member Posts: 402 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Hey, community mod guys.. Can we get a response on this?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    taevannyataevannya Member Posts: 70 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Bumpity, Bump.

I expressed this opinion in another thread on this topic, but I'd like to keep this going at the top of the list and so I'll mention it again here:

I think it's incredibly unfair to punish one person's language with 'profane' filters that affect their everyday vocabulary usage and are not profane words at all in their language because it is in someone else's. If there is going to be this much effort put into researching all the ways teens and twenty-somethings come up with ways in every language this game is played in to skirt around profane filters, then I think Foundry should have something in place that allows us to choose the language our Foundries are written in and have profane filters for THAT specific language. Not one for ALL languages. That's just... silly.

I don't mind there being some restrictions in place to curb abusiveness out the gate, but I think players need to be responsible for going through the Foundry content and determining if something is written in an abusive manner. Many great points were brought up earlier too.

I think giving the author the choice to set their Foundry as containing content for mature players could set it up that if parental controls are selected to make Foundries marked that way unavailable to accounts with that setting. I agree with one other user though: I mean, we are out fighting werewolves, undead, devils, gangs, weird brain dogs... and that's if you're one of the good guys. I see TONS of Foundries that basically have you doing LESS than noble deeds and as long as you're not working with anyone named John along with a few other choice words, it's a totally acceptable way of life.

Come on, Cryptic, let's get a better system in place. And stop punishing one language for the profanity of another.
    NW-DS9N7XBWI : Tel'met Beth'en Segreduin
    NW-DRSTZIHXU : The Silver Hand (needs reviews, RP map)
  • Options
    klixanklixan Member Posts: 447 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    Oh this explains a lot. I have a girl named Pen in one of my missions, and one of my objectives was to 'Find Pen's Missing Father'. But I got an error telling me I had used profanity. But for the life of me I couldn't figure out what word it didn't like.

So I thank you for letting me know that 'pens' is a naughty word (yeah, your guess is as good as mine). You should add the word 'fool' to the list as well. I had a dialogue where an NPC called another NPC an old fool! But that was apparently too rude for the game too.
  • Options
    runebanerunebane Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I hope they realize that the featured quest they just made a trailer for has the word "master" in it in multiple places. They obviously didn't see anything wrong with it before, when promoting that quest. Why ban it now.

One of my own quests also has "master" in it. So I'm guessing no more publishes on it until they change this? They really need to cut back on this. Its just silly.
    Halgarth's Legacy - NWS-DSTGFZHFR
  • Options
    aaldaemonaaldaemon Member Posts: 94
    edited August 2013
    They didn't fix this yet? I'm not even going to enter the foundry again till they do. My quest is filled with the word master for one, so publishing a new version under these rules will fox it up...
    Assassination Contract NW-DOD6JMS5H - story + combat. Trading reviews.
    I'm improving my quest on an almost daily basis - so if you come back to it after a week or so, it won't be quite the same!
  • Options
    narayansinghnarayansingh Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 243 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    At least let us know if this is WAI or there was a mistake and things will be corrected ASAP.
    Narayan
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    For those of you who aren't aware, if you hover the mouse over the yellow warning triangle that's next to the offending line in the dialogue box, the Foundry will helpfully tell you exactly what set of letters it doesn't like.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    aaldaemonaaldaemon Member Posts: 94
    edited August 2013
    At least let us know if this is WAI or there was a mistake and things will be corrected ASAP.

This. If this is WAI, then... all I can say is... actually I'll just say "no comment" - in a very very bad way. :)
    Assassination Contract NW-DOD6JMS5H - story + combat. Trading reviews.
    I'm improving my quest on an almost daily basis - so if you come back to it after a week or so, it won't be quite the same!
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    aaldaemon wrote: »
    This. If this is WAI, then... all I can say is... actually I'll just say "no comment" - in a very very bad way. :)

I agree whole. I just want an answer. :(
    Narayan
  • Options
    neverwinter1776neverwinter1776 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I haven't checked yet, but logging out last night I saw a 200+ MB patch when I closed the client.. was this fixed, and why hasn't Cryptic answer ANY of these Posts?

NW1776
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Bumpity bump... Looking for a response.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Haven't check yet, but there was a "patch" at like 2AM PST for around 200+MB........ going to check now, and this thread has now been bumped ;-)

NW1776
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    NOPE still there *shakes fist in air!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Haven't check yet, but there was a "patch" at like 2AM PST for around 200+MB........ going to check now, and this thread has now been bumped ;-)

NW1776

I saw that. I just thought it was a pre-patch for Feywild next week.
    Narayan
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    I saw that. I just thought it was a pre-patch for Feywild next week.

Yep, just officially checked. Nothing done with this ridicules "profane" <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>

NW1776
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    moonchipzmoonchipz Member Posts: 96
    edited August 2013
    For those of you who aren't aware, if you hover the mouse over the yellow warning triangle that's next to the offending line in the dialogue box, the Foundry will helpfully tell you exactly what set of letters it doesn't like.

For some people its bugged and doesn't show the offending word.

Bumping again, want a response from Cryptic.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    They still haven't fixed this? >.<
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    *bump* for response
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Probably too busy with Gencon to respond. :(
    Narayan