Install Arc
Options

Changes to Foundry profanity filter?

Comments

• Options
    hybridx04hybridx04 Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    O_o I made a post and the forum ate it.
    One more step in the direction of never working in the Foundry again.

NWO's turning into a children's insane asylum. Even the toys are padded.
  • Options
    izatarizatar Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,161 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    All of my quests fail to publish now. One simply for naming an NPC "John".

I am not going to panic. I am sure this is just a silly oversight. Right?:confused:
  • Options
    koboldbard2koboldbard2 Banned Users Posts: 334 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    I have an NPC named John. It is now (after the patch) listed as profane. Are you kidding me?
    I know it is a somewhat common word for bathroom, but is there some other meaning I am not aware of?
    It's also the slang name for a prostitute's customer.
  • Options
    taevannyataevannya Member Posts: 70 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    It's also the slang name for a prostitute's customer.

It is also quite possibly the most common male name in the the English language.
    NW-DS9N7XBWI : Tel'met Beth'en Segreduin
    NW-DRSTZIHXU : The Silver Hand (needs reviews, RP map)
  • Options
    lolsorhandlolsorhand Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 981 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    Fix this now, Cryptic. :(
    I like turtles.

Brethren of the Five, Campaign. - Story focused
    The Dwarven Tale - Hack 'N Slash
  • Options
    xpurpleinsanityxxpurpleinsanityx Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    This is utterly ridiculous. That is all. :P
    yGX5UJU.jpg
    Threads: Part 1: Rising of the Dragons (NW-DNGIC6AJC) | Part 2: Abyssal Pursuit (NW-DESQ9HQAZ)
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Hmm. With these changes, what's next? 'Milk' or 'stick'? They could have innuendo attached to them! *gasp*
    Have we restricted the name Peter yet?

-Mandatory- profanity filter is instantly a -1 to me since I believe that yes, they're crude, but just words. The filter itself is not the problem, but the concepts behind putting a mandatory one there in the first place. The game has mass murder. Why ban words?

Said filter with such ridiculous restrictions is another -5. Again mainly in concept. It's got a.... "WE RULE WITH AN IRON FIST AND AFRAID OF LAWSUITS! BAN EVERYTHING! WE WILL CREATE A STALE MENTAL UTOPIA!" type of feel. The controlling feel is such a pain.

Said filter with problems that goes to such ridiculous extremes while attempting to allow me to create something....

Fail. Realize your world. Allowing UGC in such bounds doesn't fly well when we're outside of grade school.

*end 2nd rant of day* o_o
  • Options
    lolsorhandlolsorhand Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 981 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    Master John the Child.
    I like turtles.

Brethren of the Five, Campaign. - Story focused
    The Dwarven Tale - Hack 'N Slash
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    lolsorhand wrote: »
    Master John the Child.

Finish the sentence! It's "Master John the Child meets with Peter every afternoon to stir his milk with a stick."

Edit: ^ Pre-emptive planning. :D
    yGX5UJU.jpg
    Threads: Part 1: Rising of the Dragons (NW-DNGIC6AJC) | Part 2: Abyssal Pursuit (NW-DESQ9HQAZ)
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    I would have said, "Master John the Jungle Child locked me in the pens. Help."
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    hybridx04 wrote: »
    I would have said, "Master John the Jungle Child locked me in the pens. Help."

"Tell Peter to beat him over the head with a stick and if that doesn't work, throw milk on him!"
    yGX5UJU.jpg
  • Options
    rabbitfeverrabbitfever Member Posts: 31
    edited August 2013
    You can't use the words "Help me" in the response line as well, i.e. "So how does this map help me in finding the treasure?"
    Proud Member of "Scribes' Enclave" Foundry Guild
    The War of Powers campaign.

Part 1: "The Wizard's Tower" NW-DOQO84CYR
    Part 2: "The Lost Ghost " NW-DTXOTHE6I
    Part 3: "The Vicar of Cyric" NW-DML9CT5A5
    Part 4: "The Road to Ghazoth-Dar" NW-DTKMIEEDQ
    Part 5: "The Amulet of Living Flame" NW-DASCPGPZM
    Part 6: "Shadowskull Castle" NW-DAYFJEW2T
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Fail. I forgot to say that Master John the Jungle Child was one-eyed. =o

Hope the point came through, PWE and Cryptic. d(^_^ )
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Master John the One Eyed Jungle Child locked me in the pens.

Did I offend anyone?

I ranted in the other thread, just leaving this here.
  • Options
    rabbitfeverrabbitfever Member Posts: 31
    edited August 2013
    I'm guessing all these banned words and saying must because someone made a child "you know what" quest or an overly zealous politically correct parent/foundry user complain non-stop to cryptic about possible profane use of words.

I have one word to make your foundry life better. Thesaurus. It can be your best friend :D
    Proud Member of "Scribes' Enclave" Foundry Guild
    The War of Powers campaign.

Part 1: "The Wizard's Tower" NW-DOQO84CYR
    Part 2: "The Lost Ghost " NW-DTXOTHE6I
    Part 3: "The Vicar of Cyric" NW-DML9CT5A5
    Part 4: "The Road to Ghazoth-Dar" NW-DTKMIEEDQ
    Part 5: "The Amulet of Living Flame" NW-DASCPGPZM
    Part 6: "Shadowskull Castle" NW-DAYFJEW2T
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    @rabbitfever - You missed the point. Banning common words is the issue, along with the principles of it and breaking people's quests that have done nothing wrong. Also, the concept of banning due to a few braindead complaints and spitting all over the UGC player base because of them... *facepalms*

Also, I can think of several different sets of words that mean the same thing, but in context fit horribly in some cases.
  • Options
    agentjasporagentjaspor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Has to be some kind of wacky mistake. "Me in" is a pretty common two word phrase.
  • Options
    moonchipzmoonchipz Member Posts: 96
    edited August 2013
    Someone made a foundry with the following plot:

"A child had a lot of pens, so one day he got a pen pal which turned out to be none other than the one eye master slaver named John who abducted him during the night and took him into the jungle to be sold into slavery."

Its because of people like that, we can't have nice things.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    @agentjaspor - Think of the German people. o_o That would mean 'mein' is banned.

I would like to think it's a mistake but the filter as it was before the patch.... makes me think otherwise.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    @moonchipz - I hate that excuse.
    'It's because of people like that, we can't have nice things.'

It's slapping the wrists of everyone for the misdeeds of a few.
    And those people will exploit and twist things until we can do nothing but left-click on a white orb without getting banned... that may be an gross exaggeration, but think of the principle. To some, it's a game to twist and break rules. Keep that in mind.

P(x_x ) I say.
  • Options
    rogu3ishrogu3ish Member Posts: 84
    edited August 2013
    Yeah....this just isn't going to work. The quest I'm currently revising has a pregnant woman in it as one of the main characters..she uses the word 'child' on several occasions, as does her husband.

I hope they resolve this soon, like before next week. I was hoping to publish some significant updates tonight.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Felling the Forgemaster: NW-DOHCJ5VE3 (Elligible for Foundry Daily)
    Fleshrend's Big Adventure: NW-DBWJJYFDK
    (Elligible for Foundry Daily)
  • Options
    eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    You can add "Master" to the list -- I just got burned on that one talking about a Master Illusionist. D'oh!
    To think of all the trade professions who are Masters of their craft being shunned and exiled. Sad I tell ya.

...and I bug reported it in foundry and in forums -- and you all should too.

Double think ungood police!
  • Options
    jedite2012jedite2012 Member Posts: 177 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Why the hell would John be banned

because it is another word for Toilet?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Perhaps
    Everyone
    Now
    Is aware how
    Stupid this filter has become.

Assume we're not
    Somehow all twelve-year old
    Sycophants.

Ha! Suck on that Thought Police! 1984! Orwell Lives!

Attica! Attica!
  • Options
    fr0gurtfr0gurt Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Are "red" and "black" still allowed?

(One of my most soul-crushing jobs was running documents through a political correctness filter and resolving the warning log.

The issue here is that the Foundry is using an overly-strict language filter. If it used the forum's language filter, I think things would be fine. Previously, it appeared to be using a stricter filter likely intended for gamer tags and the like. That's why it flagged things like "hero in" and "55" -- the latter apparently being a reference to <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> Germany's SS units.

And now, I think an uber-politically correct filter got plugged in if this is all true. "Master" would be disallowed because "master/slave" and "master bedroom" are topping the lists for most politically-incorrect terms.

And yes, this is very Orwellian. Newspeak to be precise. Removing heretical thoughts by removing the words to express them.

Anyway, I hope we can cut through the Communist tape and get back in the African-American.)
  • Options
    dragoncrest0dragoncrest0 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 120 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    This has got to be a mistake. It is just far too stupid for this to be in place seriously..
  • Options
    adylhereadylhere Member Posts: 46
    edited August 2013
    I have turned off the names of the players and their companions because I can’t stand the weird and insulting lore breaking names some use. So some would say that Cryptic doesn’t care about such things. But here we have this over-zealous filter. Go figure :/

Is there anything official from Cryptic about this?
  • Options
    glantorxglantorx Member Posts: 189 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I know this has been mentioned - but we have no feedback yet.

These are flagged by the profanity filter in the foundry editor?

Master at Arms = Military Title.
    John = proper name as in John Smith.

This is getting out of hand - soon it will be impossible to string any sort of coherent sentence together and telling decent stories will be a thing of the past.

If this is intended then can we have an animation were the NPC puts hand over mouth and a bubble appears (^%&%$%&).

Please reply with it's correct or an error.
  • Options
    nehemiah217nehemiah217 Member Posts: 181 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    jedite2012 wrote: »
    Why the hell would John be banned

because it is another word for Toilet?

John is another term for the customer of a prostitute.
  • Options
    moonchipzmoonchipz Member Posts: 96
    edited August 2013
    @hybridx04 - I was mostly being sarcastic about that excuse.