test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

A Question Thread.

grom5674grom5674 Member Posts: 100 Bounty Hunter
edited January 2014 in The Moonstone Mask (PC)
As I keep finding myself with questions, I'm just gonna make a thread to post into.

Question I have at this time has to do with my new Cleric. She all of a sudden has this funky semi-circle with 3 +'s next to it to the left of the char on screen. It just showed up when she hit 10th level. Thinking back, my old fighter had something a bit like it as well, but without the +'s. I'm looked everywhere I can think of to look, but can find no info on what this is.

Can anyone give me some clue as to what this semi-circle is for?

A second question is about using the "shift" key. Using it is supposed to jump my Cleric and Wizard a few feet to a new area. However, it doesn't seem to work. Instead I seem to have to double tap the "W" key, or one of the other direction keys in order to make the jump, not even using the "Shift" key. Is this a broken function? Does it need to be reported, or am I just doing it wrong?

Thanks for any help you all can give me on these questions. I'm sure I'll have more as time goes on.
Post edited by grom5674 on

Comments

• Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Ok the first thing is your divinity meter. Divinity is a way to turbo charge your encounter powers. By switching into divinity mode your encounter powers often get additional damage or effects. Check the power descriptions for exact details. The meter simply shows you how much divine power you have left.

As for as the second option it might simply be an key setting that needs to be adjusted. Shift alone shouldnt do anything. Shift+direction or a double tapped direction should do pretty much the same thing. Every class other then GF has them as a means to get out of the red death. They are your basic dodge moves.
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited July 2013
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    Ok the first thing is your divinity meter. Divinity is a way to turbo charge your encounter powers. By switching into divinity mode your encounter powers often get additional damage or effects. Check the power descriptions for exact details. The meter simply shows you how much divine power you have left.

As for as the second option it might simply be an key setting that needs to be adjusted. Shift alone shouldnt do anything. Shift+direction or a double tapped direction should do pretty much the same thing. Every class other then GF has them as a means to get out of the red death. They are your basic dodge moves.
    . . . . . Indeed! Thanks for the thorough answers! To expand on the second one, you can change this option in the game Options under Controls. There should be a setting that pertains to how shift-dodge/block is used.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Thanks for the answers. A few follow ups though. I used my "TAB" in a fight the other day, This I thought kicked in the "Divinity Mode" however, using both Tab and Mouse 1 or 2... my gal just stood there and kinda twichted instead of doing any fighting. I had to run and just go back to normal fighting mode. What's up with that??

Second follow up: Only your answers tell anyone that the direction key needs to be used with the shift to dodge. That could be made clearer somewhere. And it seems to be a hit or miss move. I'll double tap a direction, and not dodge at all, or I'll dodge just fine. No reason I can see for the part-time workings. I did notice that a few times I'm told I need stamina for it to work. How do I know when I'm low on that? I haven't noticed a meter for stamina.

A new question:

I'm new to this kind of MMO game, having only played NWN's type of MMO, so maybe getting kicked out of the game so often is normal, I don't know. But yesterday I was disconnected from the server 4 times in just a few hours. That in and of it's self I can deal with, but every time, at the login screen instead of my e-mail address, there is a string of weird numbers and letters. Shouldn't this default back to my login? I have that box checked? And why at the login for both the game and these forums, does it say I can use my login name or my e-mail address, does it only work if I use the e-mail? My login names a lot shorter and easier to keep retyping.

Again, thanks for all the replies.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    I was doing the "Sewer Crawl" in the tower district when I noticed that a "Dungeon Delve" was taking place. I thought that was cool, as I hadn't been in a dungeon while one was active before. I was looking forward to getting the extra chest at the end. So, I made it to the end... Killed the big bad and got my reward chest.... But there was no extra chest. There was still a few minuets left in the Delve, so I hung around in the sewers thinking I had to be in there to get the chest when time ran out. But there was no chest after the delve ended. Was this just a dungeon that wasn't part of the delve?? Or is there something else I needed to do??? I'm finding a heck of a lot of stuff that either you had to learn about in the Beta runs, or you're just left out in the cold.

Is there never gonna be some sort of manual for this game? I've gone to the Wiki, but it's kinda thin on this kinda info.

Oh, and while I'm asking questions... Why doesn't spellcheck work here?? It wants me to download a program every time I use it. What's up with that?
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    grom5674 wrote: »
    Thanks for the answers. A few follow ups though. I used my "TAB" in a fight the other day, This I thought kicked in the "Divinity Mode" however, using both Tab and Mouse 1 or 2... my gal just stood there and kinda twichted instead of doing any fighting. I had to run and just go back to normal fighting mode. What's up with that??

Divine mode also switches out your At-will powers, replacing your previous powers. It can be annoying as the powers it puts in place are fairly lackluster and are both maintains. Meaning you cant just click. You need to target and click and hold. Left mouse is punishing light, a damaging maintained beam. Right mouse is Soothing light it works the same way as punishing light but will heal allies with a maintained beam.

Its generally more efficient to tab into divine, drop your encounter power, then quickly tab back out. So you can rebuild your divinity with a barrage of at-wills. Then it is to try to stay in divinity mode and try to use its at-wills.

Second follow up: Only your answers tell anyone that the direction key needs to be used with the shift to dodge. That could be made clearer somewhere. And it seems to be a hit or miss move. I'll double tap a direction, and not dodge at all, or I'll dodge just fine. No reason I can see for the part-time workings. I did notice that a few times I'm told I need stamina for it to work. How do I know when I'm low on that? I haven't noticed a meter for stamina.

Above your daily meter. The big yellow dice looking thing. Youll see a green band over the top of it. This is your stamina. Generally speaking you only have enough stamina for two quick dodges. Before you need to let it refill. With Wizards being able to do three.
    A new question:

I'm new to this kind of MMO game, having only played NWN's type of MMO, so maybe getting kicked out of the game so often is normal, I don't know. But yesterday I was disconnected from the server 4 times in just a few hours. That in and of it's self I can deal with, but every time, at the login screen instead of my e-mail address, there is a string of weird numbers and letters. Shouldn't this default back to my login? I have that box checked? And why at the login for both the game and these forums, does it say I can use my login name or my e-mail address, does it only work if I use the e-mail? My login names a lot shorter and easier to keep retyping.

Again, thanks for all the replies.

Im not sure about all that. On any on-line game disconnects can happen. But not all of them are the fault of the game. The internet being what it is, problems can be anywhere. Without more detail on the issue it would be hard to say what the issue is exactly. And thats for someone with better tech experience then myself.

As far as the whole log-on thing. Also cant help. I expect it has something to do with how Cryptic interfaces with PWEs account system. My own account predates the whole email thing so ive not really had any experience with it.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    I was doing the "Sewer Crawl" in the tower district when I noticed that a "Dungeon Delve" was taking place. I thought that was cool, as I hadn't been in a dungeon while one was active before. I was looking forward to getting the extra chest at the end. So, I made it to the end... Killed the big bad and got my reward chest.... But there was no extra chest. There was still a few minuets left in the Delve, so I hung around in the sewers thinking I had to be in there to get the chest when time ran out. But there was no chest after the delve ended. Was this just a dungeon that wasn't part of the delve?? Or is there something else I needed to do??? I'm finding a heck of a lot of stuff that either you had to learn about in the Beta runs, or you're just left out in the cold.

Is there never gonna be some sort of manual for this game? I've gone to the Wiki, but it's kinda thin on this kinda info.

Oh, and while I'm asking questions... Why doesn't spellcheck work here?? It wants me to download a program every time I use it. What's up with that?

Dungeon delves ONLY apply to the 5 man dungeons. Each area has a special group dungeon as the cap stone mission for the area. Tower district, for example, has the Cloak Tower. Helms hold has the lair of the mad dragon. Doing the solo instanced quest line dungeons wont give you any bonus for a delve event.

Each time you level up. Be sure to look at the landing page. (L key, it also pops up each time you log on) it will tell you what dungeon, skirmish and quest line you should be striving for, for your level. Anytime you see a new dungeon or skirmish show up its worth joining the queue and giving it a try.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Sockmunkey, I have to say, you've been a wealth of info. Thanks for all the answers!

The disconnects, as I said, I can deal with. I'm just surprised at how many a session I'm getting. As to the login thing, not a major deal... just think it shouldn't tell me I can login with my user name, if it's not gonna let me do that.

I understood so little about what you said about the Divine Mode. But I guess with time and trial and error, I'll learn. Is there anyway to put something else in that "Tab" spot? I know I was able to do that with my Wizard.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Ok, New Question Time!

Can you move the AD from one char. to another via E-mail? I'm thinking about dropping my Cleric and giving a Rogue a shot, but she has a good amount of AD that I'd like not to lose if I don't have to.

Oh, something I've been wondering... Is there a Wizard Hat out there that looks like a Wizard het? Ya know, wide brim, pointy top, all that. That skull cap thing was way freaky, and I tossed it as soon as I had a chance.

One last question for today... How do I get a Champion up over 15th level? I'm thinking, I'll be leaving any of them I take well in the dust by the time my Wizard makes 30th or so level. Does it take "real money" to get the higher level ones?

Thanks for any answers guys. More questions next time!
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited August 2013
    Can you move the AD from one char. to another via E-mail? I'm thinking about dropping my Cleric and giving a Rogue a shot, but she has a good amount of AD that I'd like not to lose if I don't have to.

Please refer to the EFAQ: See "After I claim the Astral Diamonds, can I transfer them?"
  • Options
    masterawolmasterawol Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Sockmunkey, I have to say, you've been a wealth of info. Thanks for all the answers!

The disconnects, as I said, I can deal with. I'm just surprised at how many a session I'm getting. As to the login thing, not a major deal... just think it shouldn't tell me I can login with my user name, if it's not gonna let me do that.

I understood so little about what you said about the Divine Mode. But I guess with time and trial and error, I'll learn. Is there anyway to put something else in that "Tab" spot? I know I was able to do that with my Wizard.

Are your Server Timeouts/Disconnection happening when you are loading a new zone or instance map? If so just wait it through as you are actually downloading some updates for the map. If this is really the problem in the launcher options you can pre-download all these map changes but its a large download so do it when you have the time to wait for it.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Ok, New Question Time!

Zeb's answer pretty much coverd it.

Oh, something I've been wondering... Is there a Wizard Hat out there that looks like a Wizard het? Ya know, wide brim, pointy top, all that. That skull cap thing was way freaky, and I tossed it as soon as I had a chance.

Yes, Its not cheap however. Hat is available in the Wondrous Bazaar for 1.5 mil AD. Hat of the arcane wanderer

One last question for today... How do I get a Champion up over 15th level? I'm thinking, I'll be leaving any of them I take well in the dust by the time my Wizard makes 30th or so level. Does it take "real money" to get the higher level ones?

Pets don't have levels, but ranks. Ranks don't quite equal levels. For example pets can equip items regardless of level. However, a good rule of thumb is 1 rank equals 2 levels. So a rank 15 pet should still do fine in level 30 zones. Beyond that it can get punished a bit.

The highest rank of the pet is determined by its quality. White pets are capped at 15, green at 20, blue at 25, and you need purple to get to 30. Currently there is no way to improve a pets quality. That will change after the 22nd when the new expansion launches. Part of the update will include training manuals you can use on pets to improve their quality. With enough AD you can raise a basic white pet to a purple one.

Thanks for any answers guys. More questions next time!

Responses in green
  • Options
    battlebeard2battlebeard2 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Ok.. My question...

I have found the 5 man dungeon in the Tower zone... And i have found the 5 man dungeon in Blackdagger Ruins. Is there a list of where the others are located? Like where is the one in the Graveyard or Helms Hold?? I want to go back and run each one solo (or gfo as far as I can).
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Masterawol: My disconnects happen at all kinds of times. During fights (ouch!!) while checking my inventory; wandering along a road; when leveling up; and so forth. Oddly enough, I have not had a disconnect when loading a new zone or map.

I understand the disconnects could be on me. My main deal with them is having that odd string of numbers and letters as my user ID in place of my normal user ID. Also having to use my e-mail address to log in, not my user ID as it says I can. It just seems like there are a good handful of things that don't quite follow along with what the very limited info says should be able to be done.

Sockmunkey: Again, thanks for the info! I'll go check that hat out. And I'll give a look see at the new stuff on the 22nd.

Zeb: Thanks! I'll have to see if I can figure that swap stuff out.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Oh, and just in case someone who works on this Forum checks out posts: The button to go to the top of the page doesn't work. Just an FYI.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    So I was thinking about adding another character slot or two. Thought it might be fun having more classes to work with then just 2. However when I log in and click on the "Buy character slot" button I'm told that I'm not allowed to buy more slots! What's up with that??? I thought it was just a matter of me buy the slots?? Do I have to pass a test of some sort?? Or have been around for the Beta testing?? Or do I have to buy one of the many packs first before I can add more slots???
  • Options
    dardovedardove Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    So I was thinking about adding another character slot or two. Thought it might be fun having more classes to work with then just 2. However when I log in and click on the "Buy character slot" button I'm told that I'm not allowed to buy more slots! What's up with that??? I thought it was just a matter of me buy the slots?? Do I have to pass a test of some sort?? Or have been around for the Beta testing?? Or do I have to buy one of the many packs first before I can add more slots???

Log into one of your characters and buy the slots in the zen store. The option is broken on the character select screen.
  • Options
    abell39abell39 Member Posts: 1,175 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Ok.. My question...

I have found the 5 man dungeon in the Tower zone... And i have found the 5 man dungeon in Blackdagger Ruins. Is there a list of where the others are located? Like where is the one in the Graveyard or Helms Hold?? I want to go back and run each one solo (or gfo as far as I can).

Not sure if there's a list hiding on the forum, but off the top of my head I know Neverdeath has no dungeon (only zone that doesn't), Helm's Hold's dungeon is in a nook in the woods, Pirates' Skyhold's is pretty much at the back end of the zone, and Icespire Peak's dungeon is also basically at the very end of the zone at the top of the mountain. Don't know about later zones after them.
    Kerensa Loreweaver, level 60 DC | Rilla Turtledove, level 60 CW | Calvin Meriwether, level 60 TR
    Kaylee Krankenwagen, level 60 GF | Tavandruil Wayfinder, level 49 GWF | Aldith Langley, level 51 HR
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Thanks for the info Dardove! I'll check that out.

Here's a question: I set it up to get e-mails when new posts are made to the threads I've subscribed to. As of yet, I've not gotten any e-mails. Is this function broken? Does anyone else get such e-mails? Subscribing to a thread was very twisted and maybe I set it up wrong?

Another question: Where the heck are the three Scrying Stones in the Tower area? I've walked that area inch by inch it feels like, and haven't found a one. I did find one in the Graveyard, then it took me close to a half hour to jump close enough to it to use it. Was it really nessasary to place it in such a hard to reach place? I'm starting to think the three in the Tower area are also in near impossiable to reach spots.

Not cool.
  • Options
    dardovedardove Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Another question: Where the heck are the three Scrying Stones in the Tower area? I've walked that area inch by inch it feels like, and haven't found a one. I did find one in the Graveyard, then it took me close to a half hour to jump close enough to it to use it. Was it really nessasary to place it in such a hard to reach place? I'm starting to think the three in the Tower area are also in near impossiable to reach spots.

Not cool.

This should help.

Personally, I prefer them them in places that are either hard to find or hard to reach. Something to work for. This is why I'm disappointed in the scrying stone for the Feywild zone. Far too easy to find.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Thanks dardove!
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    Its generally more efficient to tab into divine, drop your encounter power, then quickly tab back out. So you can rebuild your divinity with a barrage of at-wills. Then it is to try to stay in divinity mode and try to use its at-wills.

This is the point where I go zomg you can tab out of Divinity! I thought you had to run it down with the altered at-wills. (I don't play my cleric nearly enough.)

Re: scrying
    There's this thread:
    http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?154341-Giant-(spoilerish)-post-of-scrying-orb-locations
    And you can find wiki pages with map coordinates and everything (opening your map will display the coordinates of your location).

The trick to finding scrying stones is really to use your ears. If you are very thorough in covering the map, you can hear their distinctive hum when you get close to them, and then try to figure out where they're hidden, which often does require some clever jumping if they're above you and not just behind something. I haven't explored every area yet, but if the one you mentioned in Neverdeath is the one I'm thinking of, it's the trickiest I've yet to encounter as far as hitting the exact right pixels to get to it goes.

Re: Dungeons
    The patch Thursday is supposed to add map markers for their entrances.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    abell39abell39 Member Posts: 1,175 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I play a DC as my main and was shocked when my new TR couldn't tab out of stealth. The tab abilities can be a little weird like that.
    Kerensa Loreweaver, level 60 DC | Rilla Turtledove, level 60 CW | Calvin Meriwether, level 60 TR
    Kaylee Krankenwagen, level 60 GF | Tavandruil Wayfinder, level 49 GWF | Aldith Langley, level 51 HR
  • Options
    chem2uchem2u Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    May I pose a question? I have two computers on my home network and would like to play this game with my wife. When we logged on and created new characters together we could not find each other. We were on the beach looking at the same area but I guess we were on different servers. Is there a way to link us together so we can play as a team?
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Well, first make sure you both selected the same shard. The shard that the character is on is listed on the character select screen.

Assuming, they are both of the same shard, then there is the issue of instances. As people go to various public zones, multiple instances of it are created so they don't get created. You are however able to switch between different instances of a zone. On the upper right section of the minimap there is a button to pull up the instance switching window and you can also reach it from the full map window. Furthermore, if you are in a party with someone you can right click on portrait and there is an option to switch to their instance.

It should be noted that there is a 2 minute cooldown on switching between zones so you can't switch as often as you want.

Since you can't party up with other people until after you finish the tutorial, I wouldn't worry about joining the same instance as your wife until then.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    There are two possibilities. One you need to make sure you are both on the same shard/server. Currently the three servers are Mindflayer, Beholder, and Dragon. You'll see what server you are on from the character select screen.

If you are both on the same shard. Then you need to be sure you are in the same instance. When enough people are in the same area, the area splits and copies itself into a separate instance. Protectors Enclave (The main city area) often has a dozen or more separate instances simply due to the population.

Considering you said you are both on the beach, i'm going to assume you are both still in the tutorial. Double check to make sure you are both on the same shard. If you still cant find each other. Look for the little blue icon in the upper right of the mini map. When you click on that, it should allow you to switch instances. Make sure you are both in the same one.

There is a 2 minute lock out on the ability to switch instances, when you log on or after you already switch. Its a bit annoying, but its an anti-farming measure. If the blue icon is greyed out, just give it a minute or two to light up.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    chem2u wrote: »
    May I pose a question? I have two computers on my home network and would like to play this game with my wife. When we logged on and created new characters together we could not find each other. We were on the beach looking at the same area but I guess we were on different servers. Is there a way to link us together so we can play as a team?
    . . . . . First, make sure you're both on the same Shard, the shard name is located underneath and to the right of your character name on the character select screen.

. . . . .The beginning area is instanced and only allows up to 5 players in it at a time. It is a tutorial section. When you get past the bridge boss battle, you'll then be placed into the "real world" in Protector's Enclave. You can then friend your wife's account, or vice-verse through the social menu.

. . . . .Then, you can easily right-click on a friend in your list, and join their instance. You can also change instances of the game maps by opening the main map and clicking "Change Instance" on the bottom right. Each area is instanced, in that it can only hold a set number of players, when that cap is reached, a new instance is formed and then populated.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    3 answers, each a minute a part. I like it.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    dardove wrote: »
    3 answers, each a minute a part. I like it.
    We're Ninjas! We're going to take over Neverwinter!

*does a ninja pose*
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    I shoulda just said, ditto with an up arrow :p
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    This is not a question, but something that has been getting on my nerves of late.

I've now tried most class of char. and have been having a grand time with this game. I've found that as long as you come into NeverWinter understanding that nothing is as advertised and that it's a straight line Hack-N-Slash game, it's down right awesome.

I have a problem with two of the classes though. Granted, I have no fondness for 4th ed. and never paid it much mind, and these classes maybe playing as 4th ed. sets them, what's up with the Cleric and Rogue classes??

My Cleric has no extra power over undead, I'm running through a vast graveyard and there is no "Turn Undead" option?? Wha?? I'm a Cleric! That's my thing!! That and Healing are what make me who I am.

And my Rogue, or Thief, has not pick lock, or steal option?? Hello!! I'm a Thief!! I should be able to have a go at any and all boxes that need kits. My Thief Kit should have at least some chance to open any box. And the chance should get better as I add more skill to the feat. So far I have a lame "stealth" option, that seems to last 3 seconds or so and more times then not, fades out just as I'm passing a mob of bad guys.

Maybe this is all 4th ed. rules, I don't know, but other then a base attack that each class gets they all seem to get jumbled together and there is not much in the way of each class standing out. The appalling lack or any sort of difference in the look of armor, weapons or even hats and boots, just adds to a bland sameness to the whole place. And what's up with the weird armor and robes that only have stuff on one side of your body?? Who's silly idea was that?? My fighter looked like he was gonna fall over at anytime because he had this big honking piece on just his right shoulder...

I don't know... I enjoy the game, having a ball playing, but that maybe mostly because I love a good Hack-N-Slash game. It's a great game to solo, the one time I found myself in a Skrimish I was totally lost... I spent most of the fight trying to figure out what I was supposed to be doing. It seemed everyone else was just running around fighting, there was no attempt at putting a plan in place. It all seemed pointless to me. Just a handful of folks soloing, together, as it were.

Again, I like the game, but... I guess my old Army days are pokeing out... if there nothing to complain about, something must be wrong! I would really like to figure out how to get some extra Char slots and run one of each class some day.