What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

A Question Thread.

Comments

• Options
    grom5674grom5674 Member Posts: 100 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    I finally got some extra char slots and now have one of each class. I'm having a good time trying em all out, and must say.. so far the Great Weapon Fighter is bottom of my list. Why the heck is that sword sooo freaking big???? The sword is taller then my fighter! Did someone forget and think they were coding for WarHammer or something?? And again, every great sword looks just the same... Good Gosh guys!! We have pigs as mounts but can only get one look for our gear????

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm totally confused by the "recommended" status given to new items. I had a Clan Greatsword in hand, found a Greatsword that in my eyes is way better, but the Clan one is "Recommended"

Clan: 31 -38 damage and +25 power
    Greatsword: 38 -46 damage and +50 power

Why is the clan recommended?? Only reason I can see is that it sells for 9 copper while the greatsword sells for 6 copper. So is the recommended status a price thing only??

I don't know... some of the naming of stuff is very odd. I found a +2 Orb (I think it was) that was cool, then found a +3 Orb of the same name that had the same stats as the +2! No difference in stats at all! Why was one a +2 and the other a +3?? Who knows...
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    grom5674 wrote: »
    Why is the clan recommended?? Only reason I can see is that it sells for 9 copper while the greatsword sells for 6 copper. So is the recommended status a price thing only??

Bang on. The game will recommend a green item over a white one and a blue over a green with better stats, simply because it's more valuable. The +/- stat comparisons are much more useful for deciding when to replace your gear.

I think the +1 and +2, etc. in this game tends to be largely representative of the character level that can use it, but haven't looked into it extensively.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Ok, a couple of new questions: I started my first GWF and noticed a few odd-ball things.

First thing: I see a lot of bug posts about something called "Unstoppable" for the GWF. I was looking over my powers and feats lists and didn't see that as a GWF power or feat. Am I missing something??

Second thing: I noticed that my Daily power of "Spinning Strike" takes a while to recharge, meaning I can use it once during most fights. This seems normal for the Daily powers, so that's not my issue... However, I noticed that when fighting Karzof (or what ever his name is) he used his Daily power of "Spinning Strike" three times on me during our battle! How in the world is he getting three uses to my one?? OK, I understand he's a Boss, but 3 to 1?? And my meter was barely starting to refill at the end of the fight. Seems a tad over done to me.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Unstoppable is your tab power at level 10, tied to your Determination meter. You don't get to select it any more than a rogue gets to choose to take Stealth. It's just there. (And should now be fixed too.)

I usually don't question when enemies get to use abilities more often or more powerfully than I do. That way lies madness. You can spec for faster action point gain though, to use daily powers more often.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• Options
    edited September 2013
    So action points refreshes the daily meter faster? I wondered what all those feats adding to action points were all about. I don't understand a good 60% of the feats in this game.

OK, so it's not unstoppable, it's the determination power? That explains why I didn't see it.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Unstoppable is what they call the mode you enter when you hit tab after building your determination. (Well, I've seen a few players call it "when GWF gets big", but I don't think those guys actually play GWFs.)

Action points are what fills that meter in the middle of your powers bar, between the two slots for dailies. So you already knew that it needs to be filled to use your dailies, but now maybe you have a better understanding of how to get it to fill faster.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• Options
    edited September 2013
    Thanks Becky! I'm starting to understand some of the more hidden parts of this game a bit more thanks to you and others answering my many questions.
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Thanks Becky! I'm starting to understand some of the more hidden parts of this game a bit more thanks to you and others answering my many questions.

Once you get to the new Feywild area, beware of these little enemies called "Powries" - if you hear this high pitched sound from them, it means they are charging an ability which drains your action points! Make killing them a priority!
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    bioshrike wrote: »
    Once you get to the new Feywild area, beware of these little enemies called "Powries" - if you hear this high pitched sound from them, it means they are charging an ability which drains your action points! Make killing them a priority!

Not just the Powries, but all those nasty little smurfs are trouble. They remind me a bit of CO's Viper teams. Each one by itself is not much to worry over. But as a group the little creeps can be a pain. Go for the powries and the witherers will just stand back and start healing. If they have a few heavies like giantsouls or thorns, their AoEs makes effective blocking moves. Keeping you from easily murdering the little guys in the back who can, debuff you, drain your AP, and heal their friends. Making them, in many ways, more dangerous.

Makes me wish some of the other NPC groups where as well designed and interesting.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    Not just the Powries, but all those nasty little smurfs are trouble. They remind me a bit of CO's Viper teams. Each one by itself is not much to worry over. But as a group the little creeps can be a pain. Go for the powries and the witherers will just stand back and start healing. If they have a few heavies like giantsouls or thorns, their AoEs makes effective blocking moves. Keeping you from easily murdering the little guys in the back who can, debuff you, drain your AP, and heal their friends. Making them, in many ways, more dangerous.

Makes me wish some of the other NPC groups where as well designed and interesting.

Well, there are the Enrinyes in Helms Hold that heal others, and the Swamp Priest lizardmen heal and drop those poison pits. The giantsouls are annoying because they can push you back even through unstoppable.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
  • Options
    xandria68xandria68 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 42
    edited September 2013
    Ok, New Question Time!
    One last question for today... How do I get a Champion up over 15th level? I'm thinking, I'll be leaving any of them I take well in the dust by the time my Wizard makes 30th or so level. Does it take "real money" to get the higher level ones?

Thanks for any answers guys. More questions next time!

I've only been playing for a few weeks, 3 weeks maybe. I have leveled my Trickster Rogue to level 48 without spending a dime of RL money. In fact, I even earned Zen through this site with surveys & things to get my 2 enchanted keys for the nightmare boxes I bought on the auction. Beware of the offers section, if you do earn free Zen. Even the website warns to read the offers completely. Some ask for credit card numbers & will charge once the free trial is over if you do not cancel the service.

As for astral diamonds, when I tried to e-mail things to my other character, there was no option to e-mail astral diamonds or the other special coins (celestial & the other one, I forgot it's name) Also, you can not e-mail bound items. The other items would let me mail, but it did not work. This may be because one character was on the Dragon Shard & one was on Beholder, I am not sure. Perhaps someone with more experience could shed some light on this. Good luck with the new character.
    @Xandria68

Characters: Raevyn Martok, Xiomara Silverstar, & Xandria Ma'Litoff

@Xandria268
    Characters: Avigayle Silveroak, & Jinx Brimstone

I am Xan. Xan I am.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Yea, you cant mail anything cross shard. So if you are on separate shards you are simply out of luck.

Currency is another issue. Depending on the currency, it can be tricky or impossible.

Gold can be traded, but not mailed. So you will need a trusted friend or another account on the same shard in order to move it around.

Astral diamonds can not be traded directly at all. But you can move it around between characters on the same shard via the exchange interface. Simply offer the diamonds at a price you know wont sell (like 50 per zen) and then cancel the sale. The diamonds will remain on the exchange until withdrawn manually. This can be done by any character on the same shard, allowing you to move stuff around. You can move diamonds between shards by simply converting diamonds to zen. Zen is global across all shards and can converted back to AD on any shard you like. You will need to pay attention to the various exchange rates to make sure you don't loose to much in the exchange.

The celestial coins can not be traded at all. Think of them as veteran rewards specific to that individual character.
  • Options
    abell39abell39 Member Posts: 1,175 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Another way to move gold around is just to note that most items you buy can be traded, so if you want to give gold to one of your low-leveled characters so they can buy potions and kits, just buy a bunch of potions/kits on your wealthy character and mail them to your low-leveled character. Same net difference and doesn't require tying up your gold by trading it to other accounts. This basic idea applies to any unbound item and any currency you use to get it.
    Kerensa Loreweaver, level 60 DC | Rilla Turtledove, level 60 CW | Calvin Meriwether, level 60 TR
    Kaylee Krankenwagen, level 60 GF | Tavandruil Wayfinder, level 49 GWF | Aldith Langley, level 51 HR
  • Options
    karycnaaghkarycnaagh Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I bought the hero of neverwinter pack and was wondering how to go about getting the digital novella?
  • Options
    jaminarjaminar Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    OK..so here is a silly question. On my companion character page there is a spot to add an icon. I'm not seeing one in my inventory so what is an icon and how do I get one?
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Jaminar, that had me stumped for a while as well. An Icon is a Cleric off-hand item (or is it a weapon?) You have to find one in dropped loot or buy one at the Zen market. Good news is... you can mail an item from one of your chars to another that needs said item. Just make sure not to equip it!! That will bind the item and you can no long pass it around. What I've found handy to do, is send all the stuff my cleric companions need to one char, then that char puts the items in the bank. I then mail them off as needed. So if ya find an Icon that you don't need yet, bank it until ya have a need. I use the cleric Companion for all chars except my clerics, so I've gotten a handful of Icons banked. And sword knots for my fighter companions.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    New question time!

Is it alright to run the 5 player dungeons solo? Is it doable even? And what are those quests that that little Kobold guy in PE gives out? Called Daily's I think?

And ranks of dungeons... Normal is T1 and Epic is T2?? I keep hearing about having the right armor score or some such... What is that about??

Silly questions I know, but as I get to higher levels, I'm seeing odder stuff...

Thanks for any and all answers!
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Oh, and Kary... I'd like to help ya out, but I have no clue what your talking about. Maybe that rewards guy up by Sgt Knox has the book. He's due west of Knox.. through the tunnel, past that guy that gives ya your off duty clothes.
    Hope that helps.
  • Options
    bstbybstby Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 104 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    Quick AH question - so you only get back your posting fee if the item is actually sold? No return if it didn't or you've changed your mind?
    Ranger.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    If you're a competent player, you can solo the normal versions of dungeons, or at least some of them. You really have to understand how your class works though, and if you are unfamiliar with the dungeon, it's probably going to be hard. Bring many potions and injury kits. Cloak Tower should be doable for any class, but the safe level to attempt it will vary.

Dailies are one way to get rough astral diamonds. It's pretty straightforward what you need to do to complete them. New ones come available as you level up, and you can access Rhix's dialogue by hitting L and clicking daily quests, rather than going to talk to him in person. You can turn these in at any level, not just the level when you can queue for the skirmish ones, for example. My newest level 60 just turned in his old PvP daily from level 30, because he finally did a few matches. Doesn't hurt anything to keep these in your journal even if you're not doing them right away. Skirmish ones can be completed from the all-level Call to Arms events like we just had.

T1 and T2 dungeons are difficulty ranks for the epic version of dungeons. These are the ones you might be blocked out of queuing for by a low gear score. Once you're level 60, if you open the queue menu with K, you can see the required gear score for epic dungeons. Your gear score shows on your character sheet and is basically the sum of your stats.

Normal dungeons are just ranked by the level you're eligible to queue for them. You can walk in the door of a normal dungeon at any level, alone or with a group.

Listing fees are only returned if your item sells, not if it is returned unsold or if you pull the listing. Consider it an incentive to not overprice your stuff by stupid amounts, to not try to auction things that are unlikely to sell, and to not list things you're not sure about selling. There is no listing fee if you state an opening bid of 25AD or less, but that's a very foolish thing to do with big-ticket items, as they may then sell for significantly less than the item is worth, and there's nothing you can do about that once someone has started bidding.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• Options
    edited October 2013
    Short Rant time, sorry....

I've kinda gotten used to the funky and oft-times silly way the designers made some of the "one look fit's all" outfits that most female chars have to put up with, But dang.... What's up with the cloaks?? I don't want to come right out and say that the designer has never played D&D or read a Sword&Sorcery book before (though I think it often!) But come on! A cloak is an all weather piece of gear. It keeps ya dry in the rain, warm in the snow and cold, is used as a pillow or blanket at night... I can go on... The silly looking cloaks we get to wear here are not even a full piece of cloth, it hardly covers your back. I don't know... add in the silly Clint Eastwood hat all Rogues have to wear and the skull cap for Mages... and I have to wonder who let their 5th grader design our clothes???

There I feel better for getting that Rant off my poorly designed breastplate! Thanks for putting up with me. :-)
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Short Rant time, sorry....

I've kinda gotten used to the funky and oft-times silly way the designers made some of the "one look fit's all" outfits that most female chars have to put up with, But dang.... What's up with the cloaks?? I don't want to come right out and say that the designer has never played D&D or read a Sword&Sorcery book before (though I think it often!) But come on! A cloak is an all weather piece of gear. It keeps ya dry in the rain, warm in the snow and cold, is used as a pillow or blanket at night... I can go on... The silly looking cloaks we get to wear here are not even a full piece of cloth, it hardly covers your back. I don't know... add in the silly Clint Eastwood hat all Rogues have to wear and the skull cap for Mages... and I have to wonder who let their 5th grader design our clothes???

There I feel better for getting that Rant off my poorly designed breastplate! Thanks for putting up with me. :-)

The problem is that a cloak that actually wrapped around the shoulders and draped over both the front and back of your character would clip horribly. You need only look to the Summer Festival "dress" and see a character running and jumping while wearing it, to see this. Limiting cloaks to little more than simple capes curtails this for the most part, but it's still noticeable if you move backwards while wearing one.

Don't get me wrong - a proper cloak would be fantastic to have!
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Yea, we don't have cloaks. Not proper cloaks anyhow. We have capes. I know this, because these very same capes where stolen from Champions Online. And I have the police reports to prove it.

And as spiffy as they might be. Their only function is to make a hero look just a tiny bit more heroic and flutter majestically in the wind. That is hardly the same as cold weather gear or a source of concealment. It would seem the dreaded clip monster is more powerful then both beholders and dragons.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Bioshrike... Your response makes more sense for a game made 15 years ago. You just have to take a quick look at the Cloaks, hats, helms, weapons and such that can be found in the Never Winter Nights games that are still running after that long. Over there we have had crafting that makes sense for going on 8 years... Armor that you can make look one-of-a-kind instead of this everyone looks the same stuff we get here. With the advances in programming and such, it again harkens back to someone being lazy in their scripting.

Again, this is just a rant... something I do when it gets to the boil over point. I still enjoy the game, I just wish some care and thought had been put into a lot of areas of the game.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Bioshrike... Your response makes more sense for a game made 15 years ago. You just have to take a quick look at the Cloaks, hats, helms, weapons and such that can be found in the Never Winter Nights games that are still running after that long. Over there we have had crafting that makes sense for going on 8 years... Armor that you can make look one-of-a-kind instead of this everyone looks the same stuff we get here. With the advances in programming and such, it again harkens back to someone being lazy in their scripting.

Again, this is just a rant... something I do when it gets to the boil over point. I still enjoy the game, I just wish some care and thought had been put into a lot of areas of the game.

I've looked online for still images and on youtube for video, and all the clothing appears to be static, rigid pieces. The capes are much simpler, and while they do move, they definitely don't have as many points of movement. Yes, I realize it's a much older game compared to NW, but I don't think you're giving the game enough credit. Can you point to video footage showing actual flowing clothes in an MMO anywhere?
  • Options
    edited October 2013

Now that's hardly fair. Yes, there could be more diversity in gear. However, i'm not willing to say its lazy. Part of the problem is the game was rushed out. Its obvious it could of used a few more months of polish. Weapon variety has increased significantly. Armor is still lacking. But i'm also sure part of that was a design choice to keep various armor parts reasonably thematic and consistent. So while it might be dull to have every wizard item in the same uniform color. You also avoid ending up with purple boots, red robes, and green gloves. A situation that either forces one to buy dye to avoid looking like a random rainbow or being forced to choose looks over stats.

As far as the cloaks. Its hardly fair to compare them to NWN. Being a top down game you are no where near as close to your character. Clipping issues are simply less noticeable due to distance, lower polygon count, and limited animations. However, even in that game if your character put their arms over their head they would poke right though the shoulders of your cloaks. The gear is still very much static and all to easy to clip into. And while that might look silly there it would be down right ridiculous here.

The only way to prevent that would be to code the shoulder parts to flex with your characters arms. That would require an impressive level of collision detection to pull off. In addition to the detection that is already in place to keep the cape part from clipping though you. And even that was, and still can be, problematic. This would increase the processor load for every player. And while that might not be a problem with a single player on screen. Considerations need to be made so things still work with 10 players, or 20 players, or even more, all visible on screen.

That seems an awful lot of additional strain just so we can get cloaks that overlap shoulders. And this is coming from someone who has desperately wanted cloaks of some fashion in CO for years now. I'm just aware that my wants don't always translate easily into realities.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    I bow to your knowledge of the scripting SM... I have none in that area. What can I say... when I rant, I tend to do it while chewing on my toes. :-)

And Bio, I know of no Video showing what you are wanting to see, just my playing experance in the game. I understand that may not be enough for you, but eh... it's what I got. :-)
  • Options
    rondo5150rondo5150 Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I have done the respect thing and lost 1000 GS. Then I did the free respect and lost more of my Gear Score. It did not seem to change anything at all, but take away my Gear Score Points (AND) Cost me 120,000 AD or more to do it. Some powers are better then others I must admit, but taking away my points of 1000? Either there is something wrong with this game, (or) my first guess on powers was way better then any suggestions. I have spent almost $2000 USD and a ton of time trying to figure out this game and get even more confused every time you change or add or delete stuff. Plus the fact that I have lost tons of stuff and already deleted 3 or more guys already and had to start all over because your game was locking up on me when I first started before you went beta, and or live does not make me happy at all. Starting to seem like I do more work here, then actually having fun playing a game. Now I know why my grandson got so flustered and quit playing the game, and now I am into you for 2 GRAND! FOR WHAT!?! A GAME!?! I hope you have some better things to come, as I do not plan on spending anymore money on stuff I just have to throw away, have lost, or taken away from your game. AND I have yet to find anymore items that are better then the ones I have bought from AH and wonder who, how, and where did these items come from as I am not finding them in the game, so where did they come from, or where are you hiding things in this game. If I cannot find them, Make them, then where did they come from? Losing 2-6 points for a respect I can understand, BUT 1000! I hope you come up with some better way of getting more points as I and getting to the point I dont even want to play this game anymore like my grandson has told me. And he was the main reason I even started this at all. All I am still getting is a bunch of pot smoking loser kids trying to scam or rip you off in this game, getting hackers to access my credit card info and other hackers trying to rip off people in and out side of the game to sell me 1000 million AD? Like I really want to give some company my credit card to charge me $6000.00 for AD! JUST ANOTHER SCAM! To get money from people! These are my thought & comments!
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Certain character feats grants bonuses to gear score by adding a percentage of one stat's value to another stat, so respeccing always has a chance to affect gear score if you add or remove feats that do this.

If you are buying epic items on the AH, but have never actually set foot into an epic dungeon where these can drop, of course you won't find better items in the game than the ones you can buy. I guess that explains what you've managed to spend so much money on....

Neverwinter Census 2017

• Options
    edited October 2013
    Rondo, I've never thought to respect any of my chars, so I can't feel your pain on that issue. However I do agree with you about how confusing this game can be. I've thought a manual would go along way to cure this, but it seems that game companies have moved away from explaining how their games work. And while folks like Becky and sockmunkey are very helpful, it seems strange for a game with this many ins and outs to count on helpful folk in their forums to clue folks into all the rules and stuff in their game.

That's just my thought on it.