test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Mixing PvE and PvP Is A Huge Mistake

jellichojellicho Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 104
edited June 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
The proposed mixing of pvp and pve is going to be a terrible mistake by this company.

There is currently no other new content for this time, so this means the new pvp/e zone is going to be the only thing everyone plays.

PvPer's won't like the PvE content.

PvEer's won't like the PvP content.

Those worried about pay2win will be even more annoyed.

This is the start of the downfall of this game.

Coupled with the massive time requirement for all phases of the zone, Cryptic has ensured that this new zone will please nobody.

I say this as a founder, HOTN, and supporter of this game from Day 1.

Please Cryptic, don't make this mistake.
Post edited by jellicho on

Comments

• Options
    llfritzllllfritzll Member Posts: 215 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I havent really checked out how this zone works, is the pvp forced or can it be ignored?
  • Options
    knoteskadknoteskad Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Yeah I'm still weary of how this will turn out lol.

I guess we'll find out.
  • Options
    bcvaporbcvapor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 285 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Three phases:
    1. Kill npcs, activate <forget> that give points, team with most points at end gets a resistance buff for phase two.
    2. PvP (you'll want that buff!). There is giants you can have help your side. Winning team goes to T2 loot dungeon (hopefully new T2 or specialized?!)

Loser team gets the Loser Dungeon for Losers™ with measly T1 gear that the 20 man team will immediately abandon after one run to see it.

There are coins too, yet another currency.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    bcvapor wrote: »
    Three phases:
    1. Kill npcs, activate <forget> that give points, team with most points at end gets a resistance buff for phase two.
    2. PvP (you'll want that buff!). There is giants you can have help your side. Winning team goes to T2 loot dungeon (hopefully new T2 or specialized?!)

Loser team gets the Loser Dungeon for Losers

yeah, if end game turns out like that i will never play end game, probably quit altogether.

the only person who wins with that end game is Cryptic and their outrageously priced zen store.
  • Options
    bcvaporbcvapor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 285 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    It's basically Cryptic's gentle reminder to:

"Guild or GTFO"

I don't think there is any chance in the nine hells any PuG will ever stay together long enough to PvP (phase one is a tough PvE raid remember!) then to face a guild on team-speak, who have the thing on farm status and almost guaranteed to have the Resistance buff..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    also you know you are going to need the best mount for the speed, and the best enchants, and whatever other advantage you can buy for zen or AD to keep you pouring money out.

people go nuts in pvp having to win and they will spend their money to do it. I am too much of a tightwad with my money. I will quit first.
  • Options
    jellichojellicho Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 104
    edited June 2013
    This is a horrible idea for many reasons stated above but I want to have everyone recall another game which attempted the same thing:

Warhammer Online.

Tried to mix PvP and PvE with the winner getting to the PvE dungeons, nobody was happy about it.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    llfritzll wrote: »
    yeah, if end game turns out like that i will never play end game, probably quit altogether.

the only person who wins with that end game is Cryptic and their outrageously priced zen store.

Good point. I'm certain the store was at the center of the "idea cloud" on the white board while drawing this baby up.

PvPers have the highest ratio of "whales" among ftp games I would think. The competitive spirit and rage can make some people spend a few grand to have all greater enchants and be proc'ing machines in PvP..while it lasts. Later the buyer's remorse, ha.

"Forming GG raid, must have gs12k+ full SF / Tene slotted, pst exp'd only must know shtcts/bosses"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    maukadwellermaukadweller Member Posts: 71
    edited June 2013
    Three phases:

Loser team gets the Loser Dungeon for Losers™ with measly T1 gear that the 20 man team will immediately abandon after one run to see it.

Why have the phase I? Why not just make it 2 phases and start with the PvP? Just seems like an unnecessary time suck to have some PvE dungeon before PvP where the sole purpose of the dungeon is to get a buff for PvP?
  • Options
    gaerolthgaerolth Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 289 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    jellicho wrote: »
    The proposed mixing of pvp and pve is going to be a terrible mistake by this company.

There is currently no other new content for this time, so this means the new pvp/e zone is going to be the only thing everyone plays.

Those worried about pay2win will be even more annoyed.

This is the start of the downfall of this game.

Coupled with the massive time requirement for all phases of the zone, Cryptic has ensured that this new zone will please nobody.

I say this as a founder, HOTN, and supporter of this game from Day 1.

Please Cryptic, don't make this mistake.

It drops the same level reward as current dungeons. Tier 1 and Tier 2. You miss out on nothing by not participating. Just don't do it.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Dungeon is last phase.

The 1st phase gives a buff for 2nd phase (PvP). Winner of PvP get to do Phase 3 dungeon for T2 loot, losers break up, or do the Loser Dungeon for Losers™ for T1.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    jaymadiv#8056 jaymadiv Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    This is a horrible idea for many reasons stated above but I want to have everyone recall another game which attempted the same thing:

Warhammer Online.

Tried to mix PvP and PvE with the winner getting to the PvE dungeons, nobody was happy about it.

Just to play Devil's Advocate, I'll say the following:

Dark Age of Camelot. Darkness Falls.

Everyone loved it.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    I wonder if a guild split into two teams could trade off wins in PvP to farm this thing ala Ilum in SWTOR?

40 people run it and let the fresh 60's lose so they can go get some T1 in the LDfL, while the elder guild members go do the T2 dungeon. Trade off each night or however long the thing will take once it's on farm status (within 24 hrs of release).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    jmadfour wrote: »
    Just to play Devil's Advocate, I'll say the following:

Dark Age of Camelot. Darkness Falls.

Everyone loved it.

DAOC was a monthly fee game and RVR was a completely different animal than a 20vs20 matchup where spending a thousand dollars on your character means you have a huge advantage.
  • Options
    jaymadiv#8056 jaymadiv Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    llfritzll wrote: »
    DAOC was a monthly fee game and RVR was a completely different animal than a 20vs20 matchup where spending a thousand dollars on your character means you have a huge advantage.

Warhammer had a subscription too.

He showed an example of a failed PVP/PVE Hybrid Dungeon. I just wanted to show the flip side of that coin.
  • Options
    klixanklixan Member Posts: 447 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Hmm solo PvE player here. I don't do PvP and I wouldn't join a Guild if you paid me. I guess no new content for me then :(
  • Options
    destinyknightdestinyknight Member Posts: 962 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    klixan wrote: »
    Hmm solo PvE player here. I don't do PvP and I wouldn't join a Guild if you paid me. I guess no new content for me then :(

Im pretty variable. But I usually stay away from those big guilds with the team speak or whatever. Its not for me.
  • Options
    holt3holt3 Member Posts: 333 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I like PVP and PVE. Are you telling me that I have to hate this because you do? Shut up and stop your crying. You whiney *****es are getting stale.
  • Options
    chaelkchaelk Member Posts: 5,727 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    no problems for me.
    Bad hearing, teamspeak is a waste of time.
    Don 't do PvP, you want to,it's fine with me.
    End game grind for gear. Does the term "not bloody likely" help?
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    5e4fd3cb-b728-4870-849c-b007bccaf5e9_zpsqomajucn.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    ryvvikryvvik Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 966 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013

Something new and something fresh i say, might even get people in that dont participate in pvp, like myself.

Ummm new update coming with new zone.http://nw.perfectworld.com/module1
  • Options
    kwequakwequa Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Well I can still go in and die on the losing side I guess.. :D. Solo pve usually.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    rathenau15rathenau15 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 37
    edited June 2013
    It still sounds pretty cool to me. Personally I'm rubbish in PvP but the teamwork aspect does sound exciting. I just hope there is a separate queue for groups.

Can't wait for a new dungeon and hope it'll have actual mechanics apart from the “spawn 60 identical mobs to fight alongside the boss”.
  • Options
    sallee132sallee132 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2
    edited June 2013
    i like mixing pvp and pve because i like both
  • Options
    terminaloneterminalone Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I am also against this I myself do not play pvp in MMORPG's because its always hard to balance the system and in someway or another theres always an advantage 1on1 based on what class u play. I have tried pvp in many MMORPG's and they have all been the same. Including NW. As a founder i can definately say that when i first heard about this i was very disappointed. Forceably combining PVP and PVE is a terrible mistake if the game did not start out as a open world pvp game. Cryptic has already attracted a large group of people to this game. But i can garantee that without a shadow of a doubt throwing in a map that forces players to be involved in PVP and PVE will definately not set well with alot of people. I know already that regardless whats available in that map ill never play it. I also know that all 4 of my IRL friends that play NW will also never go into that map. If this map is implemented my only wish is that there was a refund for founder pack. I bought the pack to help support cryptic because i thought the game was quite fun. But if they are going to have maps where i have to deal with the garbage that goes on in PVP in MMORPG's then i'd love the "refund my founder pack option" because i have no interest in either player or supporting a company thats going to do that. If i wanted forced PVP i'd go play EVE Online or Defiance or one of the other games thats open world pvp.
  • Options
    reilz1981reilz1981 Member Posts: 512 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    why do founders think their voice is so much better then the rest of us just because you are stupid enough to throw away 60-200 dollers on a game doesnt make you any better then anyone else here

as to the topic at hand i cant wait for this pve/pvp zone its how i would love the whole game to be like but for obvious reasons they cant do that so thankyou cryptic
    Actual Join date: Dec 2007
  • Options
    okaminosukeokaminosuke Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 155 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013

I agree. My experience from many MMO's is some players like PvP a lot but many dislike PvP and is focused around PvE content. Forcing them to do PvP is... terrible idea. Really...
  • Options
    klixanklixan Member Posts: 447 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I know already that regardless whats available in that map ill never play it.

I feel exactly the same way. I'm somewhat baffled by the direction Cryptic is taking. Up till now, I would have said NW was a PvE-centric game with a bit of optional PvP on the side. But they seem to be focusing more and more on the PvP aspect of the game.

That's fine I guess, but I wish they'd make up their minds. Is this game going to be focused on PvP content at end game? Or will it keep it's PvE focus? You can't please two masters.

If NW is going to become a PvP-centric game, then no hard feelings, but it's not the game for me.
  • Options
    clortbagsclortbags Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Three phases:

You forgot to add that it'll only be available to play once every 5 hours.
  • Options
    fauust01fauust01 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Cry me a River.

first play it then judge it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    kwequakwequa Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    It will be interesting anyway..PVE RP wanting to read and look at things..PVP charging on, exploiters jumping over cliffs..lol..me hitting smoke bomb and falling over a cliff etc.. my embarrassed son disowning me.. I think stage 2 will be a giant cluster cluck but fun to see. Record it please.:p
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]