What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Mixing PvE and PvP Is A Huge Mistake

Comments

• Options
    xhivenxhiven Member Posts: 110 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    PVP/PVE can work, albeit its rare to see it pulled off well.

Darkness Falls in DaoC comes to mind. But NW doesn't have factions by default for you to win for the home team so to speak.
  • Options
    spottedbr90spottedbr90 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    i loved the ideia, just saying

your post is like bill gates giving advice to steve jobs
  • Options
    gaerolthgaerolth Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 289 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    klixan wrote: »
    I feel exactly the same way. I'm somewhat baffled by the direction Cryptic is taking. Up till now, I would have said NW was a PvE-centric game with a bit of optional PvP on the side. But they seem to be focusing more and more on the PvP aspect of the game.

That's fine I guess, but I wish they'd make up their minds. Is this game going to be focused on PvP content at end game? Or will it keep it's PvE focus? You can't please two masters.

If NW is going to become a PvP-centric game, then no hard feelings, but it's not the game for me.

Gauntlgrym was meant to be released with the open beta (proof is the daily quests have been in the game just not the content.) Currently there's multiple end game dungeons. There's only one pvp "arena." This content still does not equal to the number of "pve content." as there are currently in the game. Not to mention by pvping you only have access to tier 1 level gear. This enables pvpers to have access to tier 2 level gear. The same end game gear found in tier 2 dungeons. Currently pvers do not miss out by opting out of Gauntlgrym. You can get tier 2 gear by doing the tier 2 dungeons. Gauntlgrym is totally optional.
  • Options
    ovaltine74ovaltine74 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I'll give it a try, but I can't imagine why they would want to do this? There is simply no good reason for it. What are they trying to do? Achieve world peace by making PVPers and PVEers play together? Only game developers come up with ideas like this. Always trying to reinvent the wheel.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    NW-DMIME87F5
    Awaiting a serious response from the developers on the abuse of the review system by other authors.

Video Preview
  • Options
    okaminosukeokaminosuke Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 155 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    The problem is this new big content doesn't offer any new progress. So for people who don't like pvp the game will stay the same: unrewarding exploited dungeons or a bit more rewarding (for now) Castle Never, farmed day, after day, after day... or leaving the game for weeks/months until real stuff comes in.

They failed to ensure stable environment for players, now they introduce thing that doesn't matter. Due to weeks of exploits AH is flooded with t2 gear already, dirty cheap, no point of making another unrewarding time-waster.
  • Options
    gaerolthgaerolth Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 289 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    The problem is this new big content doesn't offer any new progress. So for people who don't like pvp the game will stay the same: unrewarding exploited dungeons or a bit more rewarding (for now) Castle Never, farmed day, after day, after day... or leaving the game for weeks/months until real stuff comes in.

They failed to ensure stable environment for players, now they introduce thing that doesn't matter. Due to weeks of exploits AH is flooded with t2 gear already, dirty cheap, no point of making another unrewarding time-waster.

T2 gear isn't dirt cheap. T2 goes for 500,000-2,000,000 per piece. Gauntlgrym was meant to be released with the open beta. It's meant to be another means to get gear/progress that was meant to come with the "base game." look to module 1 for "truly" new content.
  • Options
    okaminosukeokaminosuke Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 155 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    gaerolth wrote: »
    T2 gear isn't dirt cheap. T2 goes for 500,000-2,000,000 per piece.

Things that you are talking about are not considered Tier 2 but at least Tier 2.5 (Some say Tier 3). They drop in Castle Never and this dungeon is above all others both in terms of requirements and rewards. It is the only source of worthy end-game items now. All the rest doesn't matter anymore.

Edit: Still, prices of Castle Never gear are going down DAILY. Things you say cost 1 million AD now will be for half of this in a week/two. In a month they will be affordable by anyone. When Gauntlgrym hits even Tier 2.5 gear won't be enough to keep players busy.
  • Options
    dartakxdartakx Member Posts: 201 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I agree. My experience from many MMO's is some players like PvP a lot but many dislike PvP and is focused around PvE content. Forcing them to do PvP is... terrible idea. Really...

Why everything that an individual doesn't like in a mmo is considered as being an absolute necessity to play. There's PvP at the moment, whether you enjoy it or not, nothing "force" you to participate. The rewards from PvP are not better than the rewards you could get in PvE.

They do an event in a new zone with 3 challenges, one PvE, one PvP and one PvE/PvP together. Nothing force you to do them all 3 or even one of them, you'll lose nothing, and the rewards will be the same value as the current rewards already in the game. There's no reason to be against it. You can dislike it, if it's really not your thing, it's fine, but i would find it more constructive to ask for the specific content you would like instead of bashing on the optional content you dislike.

For example, i dislike the holiday event or **** like Halloween quests to get a witch hat and candy that changes you in Zombie for 5 min, while some enjoy those things, i do other things meanwhile and i don't go on the forum, saying: If you keep doing kiddie event like this, the game will die, because it's dumb and i'm a founder. Some games as done it before, some of their community didn't like it and it obviously killed the game because of this sole reason. Forcing people to do Halloween quests to get a witch hat that looks cool is a terrible idea for people that don't want to.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    jokerlozjokerloz Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    jellicho wrote: »
    This is a horrible idea for many reasons stated above but I want to have everyone recall another game which attempted the same thing:

Warhammer Online.

Tried to mix PvP and PvE with the winner getting to the PvE dungeons, nobody was happy about it.

You Sir have no idea what your talking about! BEST PVP/E GAME STILL and ever will be. Yes the game was rushed but still is one of the best MMO's out there today and players still come back to it. They need to fix a few things and make a expansion then it would bring players back its just needs some Tlc is all
  • Options
    skalt112skalt112 Member Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    My question is what is going to keep one faction/guild from becoming dominant and everyone gravitating toward that faction/guild. I've played a lot of games with factions, and it always seems to be the case that people tend to go where they have the best chance to win. In this set up it would seem that some guilds are going to grow huge and dominate, while others end up dwindling away if they can't win and get to the tier 2 dungeon. If the dominant guild or guilds are in the same faction, couldn't this cause a huge imbalance?

What systems do you think they will have in place to keep this from becoming a problem?
    Do you think they will have some kind of matching system so you don't get a premade with an average gs of like 12k going against a pug with an average gs of say 9k?

Obviously I don't know how it is going to work, but these things have crossed my mind as potential problems going forward. Have they addressed this already and I have missed it?, or maybe they feel safeguards are not required to create even matches. Perhaps they are not concerned about matches being fairly equal like in normal pvp?

Just some things that have crossed my mind.
  • Options
    lariandesalverlariandesalver Member Posts: 50
    edited June 2013
    I like the idea too, the only thing they should avoid is getting items there you can get nowhere else and this being the only thing they expand too. Both problems are not the case as far as I know for now. So people who want to avoid it can do something else and I can try it out.
  • Options
    ordensmarschallordensmarschall Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,060 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    While there are a number of people who enjoy PvP, I'm not one of them, so Gauntlgrym will just have to remain unexplored by my characters. Haven't joined a guild yet, as the game is too new and many guilds will flare up only fade away just as quickly, so I will hold off on joining a guild until things have stabilized. In D&D there are occasions where PvP has it's place in limited instances, but that is very rare. I do hope that the game remains mostly a PvE focused one. I am pleased that they are coming out with Module 1 for a new area.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    bcvaporbcvapor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 285 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I think it's a no-brainer that being in a guild will mean you get to run this thing successfully while people left to PuG will give up after being steamrolled by said guilds 100% of the time.

It should settle into something a few guilds regularly run while everyone else...goes to ESO (lol)?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    zlainfurryzlainfurry Banned Users Posts: 163 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    "WHHA WHHAA THEY"RE PUTTING IN MORE CONTENT I CAN"T SOLO WHAAAWHHHAAA!" "Whaaa guilds are gonna own everything whaa whaa"

Go play Baldurs gate if you want to play DND and not actually interact with other people.
  • Options
    bcvaporbcvapor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 285 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    zlainfurry wrote: »
    "WHHA WHHAA THEY"RE PUTTING IN MORE CONTENT I CAN"T SOLO WHAAAWHHHAAA!" "Whaaa guilds are gonna own everything whaa whaa"

Go play Baldurs gate if you want to play DND and not actually interact with other people.

Not interacting with you will be fine. Good luck.

Oh, I like the all caps wha wha stuff, keep it coming old fella.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Things that you are talking about are not considered Tier 2 but at least Tier 2.5 (Some say Tier 3). They drop in Castle Never and this dungeon is above all others both in terms of requirements and rewards. It is the only source of worthy end-game items now. All the rest doesn't matter anymore.

Edit: Still, prices of Castle Never gear are going down DAILY. Things you say cost 1 million AD now will be for half of this in a week/two. In a month they will be affordable by anyone. When Gauntlgrym hits even Tier 2.5 gear won't be enough to keep players busy.

If it's going down at the rate you say when most of the exploits are gone then it isn't cheap because of exploits. It's cheap because as more and more people farm it the more end up on the auction house. It's because the system is boe so people can sell stuff in other mmorpgs cannot be bought. Either way I don't see this as a problem as long as they can release content on a semi-regular basis. Module 1 is already announced and I'm sure new end game content will be out in it.
  • Options
    ashensnowashensnow Member Posts: 2,215 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I enjoy both PvP and PvE so I don't think that:

"PvPer's won't like the PvE content.

PvEer's won't like the PvP content."

Is all that likely to be accurate.

Most players I know are not, "PvPers," or, "PvEers," they are, "gamers." Most emphasize one play type over the other, but most that I know do both to some degree. I think that portraying gamers in as binary a manner as does the OP is a disservice to gamers in general.

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
  • Options
    bracer2bracer2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 566 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    It works well if you make PvP global. The OPTION to go bare knuckle 1 on 1 anywhere any time. That works, a PvP server where nothing is affected except the ability to attack each other when both parties consent to it. As it stands the PvP being detached from the game content or "required" for anything (Gauntlgrym) is only ridiculous. I cant stand the current PvP system and never use it. I hope for a global PvP install someday as that would be alot of fun.
  • Options
    griennegrienne Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 149 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    If pvp were fair and balanced perhaps, but its not even close to that, this idea was stupid as all hell.
  • Options
    edge1986edge1986 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 647 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    It worked in DAOC

/shrug
  • Options
    clcmercyclcmercy Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 308 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    edge1986 wrote: »
    It worked in DAOC

/shrug

and_zps717208db.gif

This isn't Dark Age of Camelot, either.

Occam's Razor makes the cutting clean.
  • Options
    edge1986edge1986 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 647 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    clcmercy wrote: »
    and_zps717208db.gif

This isn't Dark Age of Camelot, either.

And your point is?
  • Options
    clcmercyclcmercy Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 308 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    And your point is?

What worked there won't necessarily work here. Two totally different games.

Occam's Razor makes the cutting clean.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    And your point is?

That the two games are not even remotely similar? That the playerbase of the two games are not similar?
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    skalt112 wrote: »
    That the two games are not even remotely similar? That the playerbase of the two games are not similar?

deal with it, chump. Don't like it, don't play it. I was merely stating that it has worked in previous mmo's. You might have understood that if you had more than half a brain.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    deal with it, chump. Don't like it, don't play it. I was merely stating that it has worked in previous mmo's. You might have understood that if you had more than half a brain.

You asked. I am sorry I hurt your feelings.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    skalt112 wrote: »
    You asked. I am sorry I hurt your feelings.

Gauntlgrym isn't required to progress. No one has to do it except people who enjoy it. So how is it a huge mistake to add something that is optional?
  • Options
    renegademarshalrenegademarshal Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 83
    edited June 2013
    PvPers have almost always done PvE to progress in PvP, so by necessity they cannot disregard PvE aspects of the game. GG just bundles it up into one event.

PvEers can always just go around getting the materials for catapult/giant support, taking out mobs for the PvPers. Don't like to PvP? Support the PvPers then by PvEing.

Simple as that.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    PvPers have almost always done PvE to progress in PvP, so by necessity they cannot disregard PvE aspects of the game. GG just bundles it up into one event.

PvEers can always just go around getting the materials for catapult/giant support, taking out mobs for the PvPers. Don't like to PvP? Support the PvPers then by PvEing.

Simple as that.

Or by just not doing it. Gauntlgrym does not have better gear than what currently drops. Everyone whining that they don't want to pvp are being whiners at this point. "Why am I forced to pvp in content that drops the same level of gear as existing dungeons that for some reason I have to do even though I don't like it and it doesn't provide any benefit over other content. My logic is sound!"

It's frustrating to me because all I see are "The only content we want is pvp. You might like something different? Too bad! I don't like it so it shouldn't exist!"
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    gaerolth wrote: »
    Gauntlgrym isn't required to progress. No one has to do it except people who enjoy it. So how is it a huge mistake to add something that is optional?

The only thing I stated was that two games were not the same. I fully intend to play the content, and I am hoping I will enjoy it.