test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Playing a F2P MMO is kind of like Gardening and or Pregnancy

baohsubaohsu Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 74
edited June 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
OK look. Lets talk.

NWO isn't even 30 days old yet to the general public.

Yes there are $40 mounts, $20 dollar companions. So what?

As far as I can tell PWE is one of the FEW F2P MMO providers that not only allow you to earn the cash shop currency in game for FREE but they also allow you to do so via other methods (seriously those surveys are actually kinda fun).

OK Great, but you're probably saying "I want golden goose NOW daddy!" Well Veruca Salt, whatever you do, never take up Gardening or be expecting a baby.

Did you know, that if you spent $5 a month on Zen (that's 500 zen) + sold coffers of wonderous enchantments for aroun 30k AD every 7 days amongst two character accounts (assuming you're going the complete F2P account number route) you' have....

~30k AD = 100 zen (give or take 5k) x 2 zccounts = 60k AD, = 200 zen every week.

200zen x 3 weeks (1 month) = 600zen.

600zen x 2 months = 1200zen + $5.00 investment every month for 2 months = 2200 zen.

Well congratulations you now have enough to buy that blue companion or mount. And it only took the BARE MINIMUM of effort.

I mean here's the question, do you want to play all the content now? or do you want to still be playing after 2 months?

Set a goal. Strive to achieve it.

I just started a garden IRL yesterday. I didn't sit there and look at the soil and go "GROWWWWWWWWW! COME ONNNNNNN!"

I'm gonna have veggies in 3/4 months. I'm gonna eat the heck out of those veggies.

I'm also going to probably be having a bear mount in 3/4 months. And I'm gonna prance the heck out of it in PE.

a five dollar a month voluntary contribution to the zen store helps NWO stay open. You could do more, accelerating your timeline, but its up to you. You could even do $5 every OTHER month.

Eventually you'll get that $40 mount. You're gonna feel awesome.
Foundry author of the "Red Rum Runners" Campaign. Part 1: "WANTED: Physical Labor Needed" and Part 2: "Worst Employer Ever!"
Post edited by baohsu on

Comments

• Options
    mustgofartmustgofart Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Then release me a Ranger (melee or ranged). Eh, also the only part I have had an complaint is the respecs costing $$$.
    20.jpg
  • Options
    lonnehartlonnehart Member Posts: 846 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Unfortunately nowadays younger or more recent gamers are a bit impatient. I guess long gone are the days in RPGs when we journeyed across entire continents, braving dangerous creatures and deadly situations just to get to the next to and grill... er... talk to the NPCs to figure out what we're supposed to do next. Now we have a nice sparkly trail that leads us to our next objective.

And then there's the cash shop. We don't really have to buy anything from it, but we still have gamers demanding everything be given to them... while playing this game for free. No such thing as a free lunch y'know. Someone, somewhere has to have paid for it.
    *sings* "I like Gammera! He's so neat!!! He is full of turtle meat!!!"

"Hah! You are doomed! You're only armed with that pathetic excuse for a musical instrument!!!" *the Savage Beast moments before Lonnehart the Bard used music to soothe him... then beat him to death with his Fat Lute*
  • Options
    klipstaklipsta Member Posts: 99
    edited May 2013
    It's F2P. No one should have any sense of entitlement to anything. Play the game and shut up. Offer actual intelligent criticism and opinions. Whining on the forums is the act of children and will be unceremoniously ignored by anyone with any actual power to change things. I'm willing to bet the developers will never read any of these threads.

Good job OP. Continue to remind the ignorant masses how pathetic they are being so negative about a free toy.
  • Options
    elessymelessym Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If you could figure out a way to rush to the endgame of pregnancy, you'd make billions.
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • Options
    healhamstahealhamsta Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 572 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Buff veggies & babbys plox. Their movespeed and HP are too low.
    Aphids & rat poison need a nerf. They do too much damage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ll-lia-FEIY
    Delve loot murdered my TR, DC, & GWF. Nerf Plox:
    I know that it sucks to no longer get gear to sell from the Dungeon Delve chest but it was truly overpowered.
  • Options
    baohsubaohsu Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 74
    edited May 2013
    elessym wrote: »
    If you could figure out a way to rush to the endgame of pregnancy, you'd make billions.

*plotting and evil laughter*
    Foundry author of the "Red Rum Runners" Campaign. Part 1: "WANTED: Physical Labor Needed" and Part 2: "Worst Employer Ever!"
  • Options
    futrixfutrix Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    There is so much stuff and I want it NOW!!!!
    baohsu wrote: »
    (seriously those surveys are actually kinda fun)

Ok, you might have taken it a little too far with that one...
  • Options
    spritemysticspritemystic Member Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Im still trying to wrap my head around rushing thru a pregnancy lol
  • Options
    euthymiaeuthymia Member Posts: 113 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    As far as I can tell PWE is one of the FEW F2P MMO providers that not only allow you to earn the cash shop currency in game for FREE but they also allow you to do so via other methods (seriously those surveys are actually kinda fun).

It's FAR from free. Someone has to buy that Zen. Also do your research. Many games allow you to trade in game currency with cashshop points. Most games do it better than all PWE games. GW2 and EVE Online for instance.

This game might be marketed as "Free to play," but as with all PWE game it is/it's going to actually be "Pay to Win."
  • Options
    screamingpalmscreamingpalm Member Posts: 304 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Hmm I would have went with "playing an mmo is kind of like jerking off with sandpaper", but I suppose gardening and especially pregnancy works too.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    riven84 wrote: »
    You know GW2 is dead, yeah? So much for doing it better!

For a dead game there sure as hell seems to be a lot of people playing it. ;)
  • Options
    klipstaklipsta Member Posts: 99
    edited May 2013
    What the **** is NWO? New World Order?

Neverwinter Online?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    A lot of bots, you mean. And a handful of people.

oh yeah. They're all bots, and I'm an astronaut, the Earth is flat, we didn't really land on the moon, and Donald Trump is actually an alien (ok this one might be true).

I think it's time to remove your tin foil hat and go play outside.
  • Options
    joshmaaaaaaansjoshmaaaaaaans Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 32
    edited May 2013
    I Love, the gardening analogy, lmfao.

Had a customer codenamed "dickheads" who wanted a bed replanted, now this bed is North facing, so it has pretty much 0 sun-light throughout the course of a day. The guy I work for spent hours of his time on a sunday picking out plants which would actually grow in a north-facing garden area (Plants which will grow well in shade, heuchera & winter jasmine which were planted for example) They were fine with the plants we planted after spending 2 hours digging out a ****load of concrete left over by builders, 2 days later, he gets a call from them saying "Why haven't they grown yet?!?!?" "I have to come home and look at a twig on my way in!!"

Needless to say, all the plants got dug back up, back in pots and have flourished since which is quite ironic... The heuchras grew at a ridiculously fast rate.

Drove past 2 weeks later to find they had someone come in and drop a load of summer/sun loving plants in.

TLDR;
    Off-topic gardening experience
    Pay for something now (Plant sun loving plants in a north-facing garden because it looks great now) - 4 months down the line what you paid for is now useless. (Plants die)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edge1986edge1986 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 647 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    It's NW. not NWO, fyi.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    edge1986 wrote: »
    It's NW. not NWO, fyi.

This. New World Order is the end game.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Everyone knows Illuminati = whales.

I'm kidding.
  • Options
    s3pts3pt Member Posts: 177 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    euthymia wrote: »
    Someone has to buy that Zen.

Its amazing how so few people on these forums seem to grasp this simple fact.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    s3pt wrote: »

Which is why I encouraged a multi zen acquisition approach.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Which is why I encouraged a multi zen acquisition approach.

I went with NIMBY-ism myself. :D
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    euthymia wrote: »
    It's FAR from free. Someone has to buy that Zen.
    s3pt wrote: »

Yeah this isn't true... the surveys don't require the purchase of Zen, and they were brought up in the original post. A lot of people do them apparently.

And either way, the game is free. All Zen exchange fluctuation means is that what you get for playing for free can very in speed.
  • Options
    xelqyplaxelqypla Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    How are you moving the zen from one character to another, let alone from one account to another?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    From what I can tell Zen is account wide in NW(O?)

The 700zen I have currently registers on my Cleric as well as my GWF.
  • Options
    xelqyplaxelqypla Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    From what I can tell Zen is account wide in NW(O?)

The 700zen I have currently registers on my Cleric as well as my GWF.

I exchanged some Astral Diamonds for Zen on one character. It only showed on that character. It might have been a bug.
  • Options
    selonwselonw Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 258
    edited May 2013
    Yey, a tedious grind for AD so i can get Zen for 1 item. And some of them are needed to nejoy all things in the game, like crafting tools.

Where in a P2P i only need time to get all items, including the rare ones
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    selonw wrote: »
    Yey, a tedious grind for AD so i can get Zen for 1 item. And some of them are needed to nejoy all things in the game, like crafting tools.

Where in a P2P i only need time to get all items, including the rare ones

Because you are paying them. You could buy $15 a month in Zen and have the reduced grind you seem to crave if you chose to.
  • Options
    maggotholemaggothole Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Respecs shouldn't cost money, neither should bags. Other than that everything else doesn't bother me.
  • Options
    kattefjaeskattefjaes Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,270 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    LF 1 pregnant woman, epic spider's den, GS* 10k+

*gynaecological score
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I'm fine with bags costing money.

I'd be happier with respecs costing $3 than $6 as I recently respecced my GWF cause I messed him up on my initial rolling. Did it set back my goal for Slyblade Kobold? Yes. But I still respecced him.
  • Options
    xhivenxhiven Member Posts: 110 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    So...9 months from now we're all going to have to start over on an alt?