test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Will ARC be required to play neverwinter?

13»

Comments

• Options
    mechjockeymechjockey Member Posts: 265 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    imivo wrote: »
    There are really no practical downsides for the user. The ones I see mentioned are ideological or fall into the "I don't want it because I don't want it", but I see not practical concerns. What does it matter if you start a single-game launcher and press "play", or that you start a multi-game launcher and press "play" in your game library? (Which will only list one game if you only have one.) If anything, the auto-connect feature saves you time because the password is stored, if you check the box.

That statement needs an <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>.

If nothing else you are opening your machine up to a host of new security vulnerabilities and attack vectors.
  • Options
    calaminthacalamintha Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    clcmercy wrote: »
    I actually like Steam

I just bought Alan Wake for 3,60€. I love Steam. Raptr, Origin, Xfire and Arc will stay off my computer.
  • Options
    jetahjetah Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    the current cryptic launcher can be configured to handle NW, CO and STO (options, check "show all games"). Forsaken World is one PWE game i play occasionally but i launch it through steam. and steam will auto update FW for me.

i also added NW to steam via the non-steam games and it works fine! (love my screenshot button for taking UI shots. no need to type in a slash command for it.)
    Open the Launcher. Click Options near the top. Check Disable on-demand patching. This will download another couple of gigs.

Ability Scores || All Attribute Roll Combinations || My Cleric Stream \o/
  • Options
    jetahjetah Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    the current cryptic launcher can be configured to handle NW, CO and STO (options, check "show all games"). Forsaken World is one PWE game i play occasionally but i launch it through steam. and steam will auto update FW for me.

i also added NW to steam via the non-steam games and it works fine! (love my screenshot button for taking UI shots. no need to type in a slash command for it.)
    Open the Launcher. Click Options near the top. Check Disable on-demand patching. This will download another couple of gigs.

Ability Scores || All Attribute Roll Combinations || My Cleric Stream \o/
  • Options
    cyresofbsgocyresofbsgo Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Nothing else comes with it. You already DO USE "that kind of software". It's fundamentally the same as the Neverwinter launcher! It's slightly more fancy and functional, but it is the same type of software. It pretty much replaces the present launcher with a better launcher. If they just updated it, instead of giving it a new name, people would probably think how nice and convenient it is.

You can just download it and try it. Unlike the Steam client, it isn't a resource-hogging slug fest. It's quite responsive and light. (Feels better than the NW launcher, actually.)

same was said with MSN/Skype.... I still use MSN, it's edited version that bypasses the "required switch to Skype", but then *smiles* I hate Skype just as bad as I hate Steam.

if I couldn't find an "option" to use MSN instead of Skype, I was going to simply never talk using a messenger again (I would have only communicated by E-mail to my friends that used to use MSN)
  • Options
    teoxdteoxd Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    the programmers who made arc should be shot and strung to a tree.
    Stupidest program after steam
  • Options
    ausdoerrtausdoerrt Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    There are really no practical downsides for the user. The ones I see mentioned are ideological or fall into the "I don't want it because I don't want it", but I see not practical concerns. What does it matter if you start a single-game launcher and press "play", or that you start a multi-game launcher and press "play" in your game library? (Which will only list one game if you only have one.) If anything, the auto-connect feature saves you time because the password is stored, if you check the box.
    What about convenience concerns? It's a "utility" type program after all, so it's got to have, erm, utility, right?

I don't see a point in devoting memory or disk space, however small, to a program that has literally zero utility for me - I play only one PWE game, don't plan to play more, and its launcher already has everything I need. Perhaps I also don't want to be assaulted by a variety of PWE ads whenever I want to launch the game. It's great that, perhaps, someone finds it useful for their needs, but it's no reason to force-feed it to the rest of us.

I'm happy one can uninstall Arc after installing NW, and I hope it stays that way. In fact, I would prefer an option for direct download of the game.
  • Options
    angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    ausdoerrt wrote: »
    What about convenience concerns? It's a "utility" type program after all, so it's got to have, erm, utility, right?

While IN-GAME (Any PWE game, including Cryptic titles) - press SHIFT+TAB to bring-up the overlay, which gives you direct access to the forums, news pages, entire game web site. The overlay looks and works a lot like in-game dialog boxes, like the "landing page" you see at first daily login.

There's your "utility". No snark, just answering your question.

#justsaying.
  • Options
    ausdoerrtausdoerrt Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Erm. My point seems to have flown right over your head. Point being that perceived utility is subjective, and none of the stuff you listed, including in the latest post, is of any use to me personally, so I should have the option to not install it if I don't want it. Choice is good.

If you like it - use it. I just don't see why it being AVAILABLE isn't good enough. Doesn't have to be MANDATORY.
  • Options
    runebanerunebane Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    While IN-GAME (Any PWE game, including Cryptic titles) - press SHIFT+TAB to bring-up the overlay, which gives you direct access to the forums, news pages, entire game web site. The overlay looks and works a lot like in-game dialog boxes, like the "landing page" you see at first daily login.

There's your "utility". No snark, just answering your question.

#justsaying.

That doesn't add any utility at all. I can already alt-tab out to my preferred browser anytime I wish. Why would I want to use their inferior browser? #justsaying

No seriously, I'm giving ARC a try. But there is no point to it at the moment. It doesn't do anything useful that I can't already do just as easy without it. At all. And it has an annoying bug with its shift+tab feature.

Maybe, when they add something to it. Or if I start playing another game on it. Then it might be worth it. But for me, for now, its just something they want to put on my computer that I don't need. And I'm looking, but I can't find a reason to want it.

*And I'll throw out another issue. The other day, when the Neverwinter website went down for a while. I couldn't launch the game from ARC. Loading up the regular launcher got me in just fine though.*
    Halgarth's Legacy - NWS-DSTGFZHFR
  • Options
    daledaledaledale Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    What is the purpose of the Arc client?

I was forced to download it to get the client to update.
    Not only did I have to do that, but after I log into it and pick Neverwinter to play, all it does is open the Neverwinter client and I have to log in from the same original client.

There has been no benefit from it that I can see.
    I'm just now being forced to essentially log in twice.
    I don't get it.
  • Options
    aquillazxaquillazx Member Posts: 86
    edited September 2013
    Step 1: Install Neverwinter through the Arc client.
    Step 2: Unistall the Arc client after you're done installing Neverwinter.
    Step 3: Profit.
  • Options
    blaackwolfeblaackwolfe Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    step 1: look in your downloads folder for an old version of the NW installer
    step 2: run that one and let the game download/update.
    step 3: profit (having never had anything to do with Arc)
  • Options
    whitupigguwhitupiggu Member Posts: 92 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    step 1: download game from gamershell
    step 2: install
  • Options
    hobokenboyhobokenboy Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Step 1: Uninstall Neverwinter from computer hard drive.
    Step 2: Wait for a better game to come out.
    Step 3: Profit.
    I'm unhappy and I can't say why.
  • Options
    zenzebzenzeb Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Maybe Chinese spyware that collects local email adds and sends them to Chinese gold spammers... the Chinese have learned a lot from Google...