test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Chat Banned. Proof this system sucks.

thequeueballthequeueball Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Since everyone seems to be missing the issue.... The problem isn't being banned from zone chat, the problem is being banned from every form of communicating in game. Because you get banned from zone chat, you essentially cannot play for 24 hours unless you have other player's information out of game.

People reporting you, and getting you banned for "spamming" chat disables:

Guild chat.
Whispers.
Party chat.
Cannot ask for a rez while in a group. (only the color flashes)
Chat in ALL of Cryptic's games. (Seriously... Sounds so insane that it has to be a joke... But it's not. What?)

For 24 hours.

This is one of the only MMOs I've played (out of a substantial amount) that allows people to essentially punish anyone they want and ruin their gaming experience. It takes 20 people to remove you from all chat for 24 hours. 20 people out of over a thousand in the main city at any given time. This could be a guild targeting people for fun, just to troll them.

Some solutions could be:

-Establish distinct trade and LFG chats.
-A rate limiter, that limits messages to once every 30 seconds to a minute.
-Reporting spam ~ Removing someone from zone chat for a limited time that increases over the amount of reports.
-A ban from zone chat only.
-Increasing the threshold on the amount of reports required (still does not fix the problem of being banned from all forms of communication)

By allowing people to report spam, and letting them know that it's going to have direct consequences on the people they are doing it to ~ fosters a toxic community that gets off on the thrill that they can ruin the game for someone else. See this thread for proof.
shahualing wrote: »
Personally, I enjoy it. It's instant justice.
(page 6)

Original Post:

This is the 3rd time I have been chat banned for doing nothing other than trying to buy an item or trying to find people for a group.

Not spam. It's becoming more and more frequent for everyone I play with as well. Try to LFG? Chat banned. Try to find people? Chat banned.

It's one thing to chat ban someone from zone. But chat banning from party chat? From whispers? From guild chat? That's a broken system. Ban me from zone, I would accept it. But people are intentionally ruining the game for everyone else just because they post something in zone chat.

2rIVNYu.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/2rIVNYu.jpg Full resolution
Post edited by thequeueball on

Comments

• Options
    dixa1dixa1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    use the auction house. zone spam is obscene and people are sick of it.
  • Options
    nubgamernubgamer Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    LOL, I love the message ADVERTISING for AFK PVP leveling, advertising for other people to exploit a bug, I hope this post draws attention to that person.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    It's people like you two that cause the real issues. I post once and get chat banned from EVERYTHING for 24 hours. You are missing the point. Ban me from zone, fine. But from everything else? That's a joke.

2 days ago I was chat banned for "LF1M CN," not even spamming it. What should I use when I need to find people? What do you suggest zone chat be used for? Roleplaying? Get off your high horse and look at the real issue.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    The only way to get trade spammers out of Zone chat is to make it annoying to continue doing it. If you were just banned from zone chat, it wouldn't be annoying enough to stop it.

But now you want to stop it, don't you?

You must be delusional, you are MISSING THE ISSUE. People can ban people from ALL CHAT, NOT JUST ZONE, for 24 hours. I was banned 2 days ago from ALL CHAT for LFM. Not using it for trade spam.

Banning someone from whispers, party chat, guild chat, and zone chat essentially makes the game unplayable for 24 hours. Good grief.
  • Options
    fangownedfangowned Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    To the above <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>,you cant sell items in AH for gold unless i'm missing something.So saying once "wts item" in zone chat is not considered spam,if you dont know what spam is google it.and if you dont like seeing wts messages in zone chat blame the game for not having a trade chat.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Yes, it's quite annoying isn't it? Now will you do anything that will cause that to happen again?

You are literally <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>.

Instead of facing the issue, you just want everyone to stay out of zone chat? I have a solution for you, turn your zone chat off.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    The only way to get trade spammers out of Zone chat is to make it annoying to continue doing it. If you were just banned from zone chat, it wouldn't be annoying enough to stop it.

But now you want to stop it, don't you?

Also I never report anyone looking for a group or posting something every 30 seconds or so, but the trade spammers are terrible and I am helping clean it up.

From now on i will report anything irrelevant to trade posts in zone chat,i suggest everyone who uses zone chat for trading to do the same and prove to <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> like you how broken this system is.
  • Options
    rictrasrictras Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 239 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    This is not proof. This is just your version of what happened.
    The meaning of life, is to give life meaning.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    No, I don't think you guys get it. If there was no mitigation of trade chat in zone chat, the text would be scrolling so fast that no one would even see any of the things people are trying to sell or buy. I am suggesting that you find some other way to pawn your stuff, than zone chat, or you will be chat banned. It's pretty simple, and effective.

Also, let's refrain from the personal attacks, yes?

Yep, you are the problem. Thank you for at least admitting it.

I wasn't spamming anything, as I showed in my screen shot. If you have a problem with me doing the same thing as everyone else ~ which is NOT against the chat rules ~ then turn off zone chat.

I am not breaking any rules. I am not spamming. You are banning people from chatting through EVERY MEANS in game, not just your precious zone chat. Why is this so hard to understand?

The problem is NOT being chat banned from zone. But from every form of communicating in game. Get a clue kid.
  • Options
    c0mixfanc0mixfan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 92
    edited May 2013
    This is the 3rd time I have been chat banned for doing nothing other than trying to buy an item or trying to find people for a group.

Not spam. It's becoming more and more frequent for everyone I play with as well. Try to LFG? Chat banned. Try to find people? Chat banned.

It's one thing to chat ban someone from zone. But chat banning from party chat? From whispers? From guild chat? That's a broken system. Ban me from zone, I would accept it. But people are intentionally ruining the game for everyone else just because they post something in zone chat.

And how many times before that screenshot was taken had you posted your message in zone chat, hmmm?

I concur with dixa1 when they say the zone spam is obscene and people are sick of it. I definitely am, and will continue to report those who post the same message in quick succession until they get the hint!
    Please play, rate, & review my very first Foundry Quest!

The X Factor Campaign NWS-DCO7OKB6F

Quest #1: The Morning After NW-D13LX4M93

Quest #2 Coming Soon!

Just for fun - Night of the Werebeast! NW-DT5EIZKZZ
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    c0mixfan wrote: »
    And how many times before that screenshot was taken had you posted your message in zone chat, hmmm?

I concur with dixa1 when they say the zone spam is obscene and people are sick of it. I definitely am, and will continue to report those who post the same message in quick succession until they get the hint!

I wasn't spamming anything in quick succession. Being banned from zone chat isn't my issue, being banned from ALL CHAT in game is the problem.
  • Options
    atlanticx1atlanticx1 Member Posts: 45
    edited May 2013
    rictras wrote: »
    This is not proof. This is just your version of what happened.

this guy is right

scroll up more for proper screenshot
    or its just the last message of the spam than you got banned

nice try OP
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    People that are annoyed by trade chat FAR outnumber people using trade chat. So I doubt you will have any appreciable effect.

Think on this for a moment;

In order for someone to be chat banned, 20 people have to Report Spam them. TWENTY(20) PEOPLE. Now consider that in regards to how annoyed people are with your spam.

Really? and what is the last thing you posted in PE zone chat,what do you think it should be used for? RP or **** questions like "PVP VENDOR ONLY SELLS POTS?" "THIS GAME NO STASH?" is that what you type in zone chat and you want to see?
  • Options
    jn2002dk1jn2002dk1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    fangowned wrote: »
    Really? and what is the last thing you posted in PE zone chat,what do you think it should be used for? RP or **** questions like "PVP VENDOR ONLY SELLS POTS?" "THIS GAME NO STASH?" is that what you type in zone chat and you want to see?
    Yup
    Zone chat is not for trading
  • Options
    calaminthacalamintha Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    fangowned wrote: »

I'm pretty sure it was somethig like "WoW was the first MMO!"
  • Options
    vanlichtensteinvanlichtenstein Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Now where is that forum ban button.. :P
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    c0mixfan wrote: »

Here you go, I scrolled up further for you:

iIdBrR7.jpg
    rcCc6Ol.jpg

Full Res:
    http://i.imgur.com/rcCc6Ol.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/iIdBrR7.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Now where is that forum ban button.. :P

For bringing up a serious issue you are suggesting I get forum banned? Wonderful community you're starting here.
  • Options
    gsundered11gsundered11 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 135 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    You are literally <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>.

Instead of facing the issue, you just want everyone to stay out of zone chat? I have a solution for you, turn your zone chat off.

I have another solution. Keep spam reporting people like you until you STFU and start behaving yourself.
  • Options
    coglovercoglover Member Posts: 97
    edited May 2013
    I sign to this, also got chat banned for nothing, people spam so much you cant even read, when i write 1 time every 30 sec i get chat banned. Nice (and yeah, 30 sec is VERY LONG TIME in this spamforsaken "Zone" channel)
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    If you have questions about the game go read forums if you wanna give answers do the same or pm the guy who asked,only he is interested in your answer anyway,and to the eys of someone else you posting garbage.Content of zone chat is not defined and anyone can use anyway he likes as long as he doesnt spam.Posting a wts once and getting silenced from all chat just because some butthurt kids happened to report him at the same time is broken wether you like it or not
  • Options
    jdrivejdrive Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    For bringing up a serious issue you are suggesting I get forum banned? Wonderful community you're starting here.

My gods, he even had the snarky little ':p' at the end to let you know it was sarcasm. Get a sense of humor.
This discussion has been closed.