test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Chat Banned. Proof this system sucks.

Comments

• rictrasrictras Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 239 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Ok you win. I was spamming the **** out of zone (I wasn't)

Why does this justify a ban from all chat in game?

Once again, the punishment needs to be severe enough to discourage the person from continuing the same behaviour.
    The meaning of life, is to give life meaning.
  • gohlargohlar Member Posts: 73
    edited May 2013
    shahualing wrote: »
    Well it depends, will you do it again? If not, then yes, it does justify it. If not, then we need to find a harsher punishment.

People like you are the reason mmos have to be covered in bubble wrap and nothing can be interesting. Stop being such a tool.
    rictras wrote: »
    Once again, the punishment needs to be severe enough to discourage the person from continuing the same behaviour.

Behavior such as using chat for anything apparently. Are you honestly stupid enough to not see the problem here? Like really? Or are you guys just trolling.

I hope it's trolling because man, what a display of idiocy...
  • thequeueballthequeueball Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    c0mixfan wrote: »
    To teach you a lesson so that you don't do it again.

If the punishment was only to ban you from zone chat for 24 hours, you'd likely wouldn't learn from that as much as banning you from all chats for 24 hours would.

If you still don't learn from that, well then there's just no educating some people.

So what's wrong with banning from zone chat for 24 hours, if they do it again, ban them from zone for 24 more hours?

Why do you seem to think it's OK to ban them from chatting entirely in game?

There's a reason successful MMO's do not use this system. It ruins the gaming experience for people. If someone is spamming, ignore them like an adult. People are using the report system for vengeance.
  • gsundered11gsundered11 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 135 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Ok you win. I was spamming the **** out of zone (I wasn't)

Why does this justify a ban from all chat in game?

Because the designers have decided that is the punishment. It needs no further justification than that. It just needs you to consider the risk of a ban against the reward of a trade next time you want to sell something and if you make the wrong call it then requires you to suck it up like a man and not come on here to whine about it.
    edited May 2013
    Actually, people like me are discouraging the tools.

No, your over sensitivity and absurdly short sighted attitudes have turned the genre into daycare.
    Because the designers have decided that is the punishment. It needs no further justification than that. It just needs you to consider the risk of a ban against the reward of a trade next time you want to sell something and if you make the wrong call it then requires you to suck it up like a man and not come on here to whine about it.

Is this white knighting? Seriously, why are people defending an easily abused system that's being abused...Banning all chat makes no sense. I've never been banned but seriously, how dumb are you guys to think this is good?

When did mmo players become so utterly spineless?
  • gsundered11gsundered11 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 135 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    And what do you suggest the people without guilds do? Or people that are in guilds that don't use voice chat?

Wait, don't tell me, I know this one.

Is it - 'don't spam'?
  • calaminthacalamintha Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Well, it certainly discouraged a friend from ever trying to organize an in-game event.
    edited May 2013
    I'm ok with that. If that means all the people with the maturity levels of teenagers get shoo'd off or silenced, it's just fine by me.

If you think everyone must act like you to be mature you have a LOT of growing up to do. This comes off as childish behavior to take pleasure in tattling on anything you possibly can.

Grow up.
  • rictrasrictras Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 239 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    gohlar wrote: »
    Behavior such as using chat for anything apparently. Are you honestly stupid enough to not see the problem here? Like really? Or are you guys just trolling.

I hope it's trolling because man, what a display of idiocy...

I don't spam on the chat. I don't use the chat to insult people or as my own personal soapbox. I have yet to get a chat ban. I guess the system works.
    edited May 2013
    I don't spam on the chat. I don't use the chat to insult people or as my own personal soapbox. I have yet to get a chat ban. I guess the system works.

I've never been banned either but why ignore the actual topic of the thread? OP wasn't spamming.
    This is funny, thank you.

Yeah you kinda talked yourself into a corner there so there wasn't much you can say. The current system is bad because of people like you who take pleasure in ruining other's fun.
    edited May 2013
    I've never been banned either but why ignore the actual topic of the thread? OP wasn't spamming.

He claims he wasn't spamming. The three chat bans he mentions are evidence to the contrary.
    edited May 2013
    He claims he wasn't spamming. The three chat bans he mentions are evidence to the contrary.

His story is becoming more and more common. People such as those in this thread clearly enjoy getting people banned. Banning all chat gives too much power to the players. This your 1st online game? This kind of design is amateur hour...
    edited May 2013

My 3 chat bans all happened in the same way.

If you are going to say i'm cherry picking my screenshots to tailor to my argument that's fine. But you are avoiding the issue of the system in general. It's flawed. It can be abused. And it is abused heavily.

What's stopping people from targeting specific people and having them banned from chat over and over again?

Everyone on my friend's list has been chat banned at one time or another. It's becoming increasingly more common for anyone that types in zone chat at all.

But I digress your response is going to be "you hang out with spammers"
  • covencoven Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Give or take 20 people, in a game with thousands. Again, my argument isn't to stop banning people from zone chat, it's to stop banning people from ALL chat.

Wish i could find your other original quote about how you've NEVER seen a rule-set like this one chat wise or something to that effect. You must not play many MMO's or haven't been playing for long. EVERY MMO i have EVER played, since the original EQ, players have complained about, and hate "trade spam" in zone chat. Spam is spam. There is an AH and players have the ability to create a "trade channel." The only people that are discouraged from talking in zone are the ones doing the trade spamming way i see it.
    edited May 2013
    coven wrote: »
    Wish i could find your other original quote about how you've NEVER seen a rule-set like this one chat wise or something to that effect. You must not play many MMO's or haven't been playing for long. EVERY MMO i have EVER played, since the original EQ, players have complained about, and hate "trade spam" in zone chat. Spam is spam. There is an AH and players have the ability to create a "trade channel." The only people that are discouraged from talking in zone are the ones doing the trade spamming way i see it.

Yes they complain about it..... No other MMOs lets other players punish each other with the severity that this one does.
  • travail01travail01 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 151 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    If they are going to allow some players to have authority over others, then that authority must be limited (because players have done nothing to either earn that authority, or to prove that they can handle that authority responsibly.)

Really, players shouldn't be able to ban others at all, but simply "ignore" them so that the messages no longer appear in their own personal chat window. If they insist on allowing players to ban others from zone chat, fine, but it should only be a zone chat ban. No one but my guild officers should be able to ban anyone from guild chat, and only fellow group mates should be able to ban a player from group chat.

-Travail.
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
    edited May 2013
    The fact that players can get together and effectively remove other people from the game is absolutely ridiculous. Ban people from public chat channels all day, that's fine. Guild/group chat? Simply stupid.

Some serious white knights or inexperienced online players here.....seriously....
  • robertthebardrobertthebard Member Posts: 543 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    And what do you suggest the people without guilds do? Or people that are in guilds that don't use voice chat?

Your solutions are not solutions, and you are avoiding the issue.

No. They are. They can circumvent the whole problem by using these programs. They can run their crusade to mute everyone that's not trading in Zone in any of the maps, and it won't affect me. I'm not posting in Zone, so they can't mute me that way, and if they decide to follow me around, or click on me while I'm there to do so, it won't stop me from chatting in guild, since I'm in TS too.

The issue isn't one that concerns me, I don't try to sell things in Zone chat, and don't even read it. So I guess I do avoid the whole issue, by turning them off along with the gold spammers when I first log in.
    Reading comprehension is essential in a medium that requires reading for communication.
  • c0mixfanc0mixfan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 92
    edited May 2013
    What's stopping people from targeting specific people and having them banned from chat over and over again?

The report system. If you feel you are being unfairly targeted & being silenced as a result, file a ticket with support and let the GMs investigate.
    Please play, rate, & review my very first Foundry Quest!

The X Factor Campaign NWS-DCO7OKB6F

Quest #1: The Morning After NW-D13LX4M93

Quest #2 Coming Soon!

Just for fun - Night of the Werebeast! NW-DT5EIZKZZ
    edited May 2013
    The report system. If you feel you are being unfairly targeted & being silenced as a result, file a ticket with support and let the GMs investigate.

Oh, I have. I get the same canned response... "There are too many tickets to deal with, we can't help you at this time"

So your solution, is in fact, not a solution at all.

Here's the email:

Hello,

First of all, we apologize for sending out a general response, but due to the overwhelming rush of new players in Neverwinter, we will need to help as many as we can at once with a general process of accessing the game.

If you have a gameplay inquiry. Here are some resources that you have at your disposal:
    Our Neverwinter forums: http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/forum.php
    Our Neverwinter Wiki: http://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/Neverwinter_Wiki
    edited May 2013

If you are going to say i'm cherry picking my screenshots to tailor to my argument that's fine. But you are avoiding the issue of the system in general. It's flawed. It can be abused. And it is abused heavily.

And yet I haven't been chat banned. Nobody I know who plays Neverwinter has been chat banned.
    edited May 2013
    And yet I haven't been chat banned. Nobody I know who plays Neverwinter has been chat banned.

Ah, right. Because you haven't, the system is working as intended.

You are not the center of the universe. Thousands of people play this game. All have different experiences.
  • c0mixfanc0mixfan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 92
    edited May 2013
    Oh, I have. I get the same canned response... "There are too many tickets to deal with, we can't help you at this time"

So your solution, is in fact, not a solution at all.

It is a solution. The fact you're not getting the results you want from it is beside the point.

Not sure why you get canned responses, though. Every time I've had to file a ticket with PW support, whether it was for in STO or here in Neverwinter, it's always been answered by a GM and resolved in a professional, friendly, and amicable manner.

Quest #2 Coming Soon!

edited May 2013

It's like the system was made for trolls. What poor design. Attention people who don't understand mmos (lots of you here) this can, will and is being abused. You can't give players this much authority and not letting people talk to their group makes zero sense.

Use your heads...
    edited May 2013

Same. Noone in my guild and none of my friends have been chat banned, and we use zone chat for LFG often. We just don't spam the hell out of it.

Quest #2 Coming Soon!

edited May 2013
    It is a solution. The fact you're not getting the results you want from it is beside the point.

Not sure why you get canned responses, though. Every time I've had to file a ticket with PW support, whether it was for in STO or here in Neverwinter, it's always been answered by a GM and resolved in a professional, friendly, and amicable manner.

Hello,

First of all, we apologize for sending out a general response, but due to the overwhelming rush of new players in Neverwinter, we will need to help as many as we can at once with a general process of accessing the game.

If you have a gameplay inquiry. Here are some resources that you have at your disposal:
    Our Neverwinter forums: http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/forum.php
    Our Neverwinter Wiki: http://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/Neverwinter_Wiki
    edited May 2013
    It's like the system was made for trolls. What poor design. Attention people who don't understand mmos (lots of you here) this can, will and is being abused. You can't give players this much authority and not letting people talk to their group makes zero sense.

Use your heads...

If you're inferring I'm a troll, then you have your facts completely wrong. I'm nothing of the sort.

I'm an experienced MMO'er too, FWIW. I've never said that the system isn't open to abuse, but there is an avenue for resolution open to those who feel they are being unfairly punished.

Whining on the forums and being insulting and childish in response to those who disagree with you or counter your opinions is not that avenue.

Quest #2 Coming Soon!

• ogkeltogkelt Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Same. Noone in my guild and none of my friends have been chat banned, and we use zone chat for LFG often. We just don't spam the hell out of it.

Looks like the only people whining about being muted are the people who use the channel to spam WTS or WTB or similar garbage.
    That sounds like its working perfectly if you ask me.
  • jn2002dk1jn2002dk1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ogkelt wrote: »
    Looks like the only people whining about being muted are the people who use the channel to spam WTS or WTB or similar garbage.
    That sounds like its working perfectly if you ask me.
    Indeed
    I love this system
    Finally a swift and hard punishment for all the spammers, trolls and morons who generally occupy the general chat in mmos
    edited May 2013
    If you're inferring I'm a troll, then you have your facts completely wrong. I'm nothing of the sort.

I'm an experienced MMO'er too, FWIW. I've never said that the system isn't open to abuse, but there is an avenue for resolution open to those who feel they are being unfairly punished.

Whining on the forums and being insulting and childish in response to those who disagree with you or counter your opinions is not that avenue.

I'm not whining about anything. I'm bringing up valid points, and you are choosing to ignore them and revert back to "you spam lololol" argument.

Why should another player be allowed to disabled my guild chat and whispers?
This discussion has been closed.