test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Chat Banned. Proof this system sucks.

Comments

• robertthebardrobertthebard Member Posts: 543 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Oh, I have. I get the same canned response... "There are too many tickets to deal with, we can't help you at this time"

So your solution, is in fact, not a solution at all.

Here's the email:

email removed by me, since it's a violation of the forum rules to post them on the forums.

Wait, so you're not violating the rules in game, and you substantiate that claim by violating the rules on the forum?
    Reading comprehension is essential in a medium that requires reading for communication.
  • preludeiipreludeii Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    c0mixfan wrote: »
    It is a solution. The fact you're not getting the results you want from it is beside the point.

Not sure why you get canned responses, though. Every time I've had to file a ticket with PW support, whether it was for in STO or here in Neverwinter, it's always been answered by a GM and resolved in a professional, friendly, and amicable manner.

Yeah... Ticket responses just don't happen, maybe you get them because you bought one of the founder packs.

I tell you what, you guys tell me what server you are on and I'll collect 20 friends/friends of friends and we'll find out just how well the system works.
  • c0mixfanc0mixfan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 92
    edited May 2013
    I'm not whining about anything. I'm bringing up valid points, and you are choosing to ignore them and revert back to "you spam lololol" argument.

Yes, because all of my posts have been "you spam lololol". :rolleyes:
    Why should another player be allowed to disabled my guild chat and whispers?

Individually they cannot. A group of 20 can by reporting you for spam thus registering their dissatisfaction with your posting habits.

I have to agree that it's great to see an MMO with a swift and decisive removal of unfavourable elements from chat. Too many times chat channels in MMOs get so clogged with spam and off-topic posts that it renders them useless (Trade chat in WoW and Trade/LFG chats in DCUO spring to mind).

And again, if you feel you've been unfairly silenced there is an avenue for you to appeal against the decision. How you pursue a resolution is entirely up to you, but as I said before making threads such as these on the forums are likely never going to go in your favour.
    Please play, rate, & review my very first Foundry Quest!

The X Factor Campaign NWS-DCO7OKB6F

Quest #1: The Morning After NW-D13LX4M93

Quest #2 Coming Soon!

Just for fun - Night of the Werebeast! NW-DT5EIZKZZ
  • c0mixfanc0mixfan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 92
    edited May 2013
    preludeii wrote: »
    I tell you what, you guys tell me what server you are on and I'll collect 20 friends/friends of friends and we'll find out just how well the system works.

Yep, and then you can be reported for abusing the system and get banned. It's win/win! :P

Quest #2 Coming Soon!

edited May 2013
    Abusing the system? Its clearly designed so that players decide what should or shouldn't be in chat. What makes your opinions correct and mine not?

My 20 friends simply share opinions and ideals.
  • thequeueballthequeueball Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yes, because all of my posts have been "you spam lololol". :rolleyes:

Individually they cannot. A group of 20 can by reporting you for spam thus registering their dissatisfaction with your posting habits.

I have to agree that it's great to see an MMO with a swift and decisive removal of unfavourable elements from chat. Too many times chat channels in MMOs get so clogged with spam and off-topic posts that it renders them useless (Trade chat in WoW and Trade/LFG chats in DCUO spring to mind).

And again, if you feel you've been unfairly silenced there is an avenue for you to appeal against the decision. How you pursue a resolution is entirely up to you, but as I said before making threads such as these on the forums are likely never going to go in your favour.

Yes because 20 people out of THOUSANDS at any given time is fair?

The only solution is to not use zone chat at all, that's the only effective way to avoid being chat banned for 24 hours. You realize that right? Because using it once is a risk that someone will report you just because they can.
    edited May 2013
    Yeah... Ticket responses just don't happen, maybe you get them because you bought one of the founder packs.

Abusing the system? Its clearly designed so that players decide what should or shouldn't be in chat. What makes your opinions correct and mine not?

You'd have a point, if your previous post didn't promote exploiting the chat system. However, I play on Dragon. Feel free to gather 20 friends, if you can find that many, and get me chat banned. Let me know what time I need to log in, mmkay?
    Reading comprehension is essential in a medium that requires reading for communication.
    edited May 2013

The only solution is to not use zone chat at all, that's the only effective way to avoid being chat banned for 24 hours. You realize that right? Because using it once is a risk that someone will report you just because they can.

You really are making a mountain out of a molehill.

If you're using chat normally and not spamming you have nothing to fear. If you do get reported because someone chose to be immature or petty then you can appeal against it by requesting GM help/logging a ticket. If you get canned responses, persist until you're talking with an actual GM.

Quest #2 Coming Soon!

edited May 2013

My 20 friends simply share opinions and ideals.

Rubbish. You're trying to justify being childish, petty and vindictive by shrouding it under a clash of opinions.

Sorry, kid, but I'm not playing your silly little games.

Quest #2 Coming Soon!

edited May 2013

If you're using chat normally and not spamming you have nothing to fear. If you do get reported because someone chose to be immature or petty then you can appeal against it by requesting GM help/logging a ticket. If you get canned responses, persist until you're talking with an actual GM.

I have tried... I didn't spend 200 dollars like you, so responses just don't happen. Sorry.

Also, what's wrong with a rate limiter on zone chat? Why is that a flawed system? What's wrong with the in game /ignore function? These are highly successful for much bigger MMO's.

Why do you think it's so necessary to punish people that you disagree with? While banning them from all forms of communication in game?
    edited May 2013

You do understand that by the time a ticket for a 24 hour chat ban is responded to it would be 3 weeks later and even then it would most likely be:

"Hello

Unfortunately, due to the incredibly high volume of tickets sent in regarding Neverwinter, we have not been able to provide an answer to each ticket that has come to us individually.

You are receiving this automated message to inform you that your current ticket is being closed. We are doing this to prevent your issue from being lost in "Ticket Limbo." We at Perfect World Entertainment are dedicated to providing you with a satisfactory experience both in game, and with regards to Customer Support.

If you are still experiencing the issue that you originally ticketed in about, please submit a new ticket to us and an Agent will look in to it as soon as possible.

This is an automated message, and any responses will not be received by a Customer Support Agent. Please direct all information to your new ticket.

We're truly sorry for this inconvenience, and we appreciate your patience and understanding as we work towards helping all of our customers to the best of our ability."

Is it against the rules to post this? Maybe? I don't know. Posting anyways.
    edited May 2013

To be perfectly honest, it takes 20 ignores, but nobody knows how many people actually ignored you, or reported your posts as spam. What if it's 200, or 2000, or anything between 20 and 2000? What if it's actually more? What if, when they look at it, if they look at it, they find out that 90% of the server population in that zone at the time reported you? Should they then just proceed to suspend your entire account for 24 hours?
    edited May 2013
    Rubbish. You're trying to justify being childish, petty and vindictive by shrouding it under a clash of opinions.

Sorry, kid, but I'm not playing your silly little games.

So what you are saying is that the scenario I proposed is both unlikely and never happens? If you really think this then you, sir, are clearly in denial and believe that PWI can do no wrong.

I have never been chat banned.
  • naero7naero7 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    rictras wrote: »
    And yet I haven't been chat banned. Nobody I know who plays Neverwinter has been chat banned.

Oh nice. That's like saying "nobody i know is starving" so nobody is actually starving. Not knowing a problem's existance doesn't prove its non-existance you know? Fact is, this is everyone's attitude about this at the moment, everyone keeps acting as the white knight and picking on thequeueball with this "i'm better than you because i never got chat banned" attitude. Well, this is ridiculous beyond any imagination, but i guess that's how you can understand how this game's community is.
    He is pointing out a REAL problem, a REAL exploitable mechanic in the game that can make the game unplayable to those actively playing without a guild, but you all refrain from a little constructive thinking to rise yourselves instead, in this sort of demi-god status of the "unbanned". Having the choice to ban someone's chat intentionally is wrong on so many levels and should only work for [Zone] chat, limiting the chances it may be done on purpose, to ruin someone else's day. As it is now, it is a PROPER WEAPON that everyone may use as a sort of revenge or just trolling. But i guess if you didn't get a ban, it doesn't apply to you. I would love to see your reactions if you got the same treatment for a "LFM" message, just to see if you actually would close the game saying "oh well, i deserved it". Seems legit.
    (sorry for english)
    edited May 2013
    To be perfectly honest, it takes 20 ignores, but nobody knows how many people actually ignored you, or reported your posts as spam. What if it's 200, or 2000, or anything between 20 and 2000? What if it's actually more? What if, when they look at it, if they look at it, they find out that 90% of the server population in that zone at the time reported you? Should they then just proceed to suspend your entire account for 24 hours?

I'll say it for the hundredth time. What's wrong with a rate limiter? What's wrong with the /ignore function? Why does everyone have a hard on for ruining someone's gaming experience for 24 hours just because they ruined your chat for 15 seconds?

The punishment certainly doesn't fit the crime. If that many people reported someone, why not have a GM assess a penalty? Why should someone who links one item receive the same punishment as someone who spams gold sites?
    edited May 2013
    naero7 wrote: »
    Oh nice. That's like saying "nobody i know is starving" so nobody is actually starving. Not knowing a problem's existance doesn't prove its non-existance you know? Fact is, this is everyone's attitude about this at the moment, everyone keeps acting as the white knight and picking on thequeueball with this "i'm better than you because i never got chat banned" attitude. Well, this is ridiculous beyond any imagination, but i guess that's how you can understand how this game's community is.
    He is pointing out a REAL problem, a REAL exploitable mechanic in the game that can make the game unplayable to those actively playing without a guild, but you all refrain from a little constructive thinking to rise yourselves instead, in this sort of demi-god status of the "unbanned". Having the choice to ban someone's chat intentionally is wrong on so many levels and should only work for [Zone] chat, limiting the chances it may be done on purpose, to ruin someone else's day. As it is now, it is a PROPER WEAPON that everyone may use as a sort of revenge or just trolling. But i guess if you didn't get a ban, it doesn't apply to you. I would love to see your reactions if you got the same treatment for a "LFM" message, just to see if you actually would close the game saying "oh well, i deserved it". Seems legit.
    (sorry for english)

So not being able to chat in game means that you're not going to be able to feed your kids? No? Then why make the comparison. It's no where near the same thing.
    edited May 2013
    So not being able to chat in game means that you're not going to be able to feed your kids? No? Then why make the comparison. It's no where near the same thing.

It was an analogy.............
  • jn2002dk1jn2002dk1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    (sorry for english)
    Except no one has actually posted proof of people exploiting this system

What he is actually doing is arguing because he is angry he was deemed unworthy to use the chat for 24 hours by 20 of his peers
    edited May 2013
    I'll say it for the hundredth time. What's wrong with a rate limiter? What's wrong with the /ignore function? Why does everyone have a hard on for ruining someone's gaming experience for 24 hours just because they ruined your chat for 15 seconds?

The punishment certainly doesn't fit the crime. If that many people reported someone, why not have a GM assess a penalty? Why should someone who links one item receive the same punishment as someone who spams gold sites?

I didn't make the rules, and I don't enforce them either. I have already stated how I deal with zone chat, I turn it off. I've been turning the equivalent to it off in MMOs for 10 years. Why? Because that's where the gold spammers hang out, and where the 12 year old trolls, maturity wise, regardless of actual age hang out. Why tolerate it when I can just turn it off? The flip side to that argument is, of course, that you don't. When the ignore/spam logs are reviewed, you won't be banned from playing at all. The system is what it is, you have the choice how to deal with it, and frankly coming here won't do any good.
    edited May 2013

Analogy (from Greek ἀναλογία, analogia, "proportion"[1][2]) is a cognitive process of transferring information or meaning from a particular subject (the analogue or source) to another particular subject (the target), and a linguistic expression corresponding to such a process.

Please at least change your signature.
    edited May 2013
    It was an analogy.............

It was a poor one, which was my point. It is no where near as devastating as these threads make it out to be.
    edited May 2013
    jn2002dk1 wrote: »

What he is actually doing is arguing because he is angry he was deemed unworthy to use the chat for 24 hours by 20 of his peers

I am angry. Not because I can't use zone chat, but because I cannot play the game for 24 hours because a group of people thought my "WTB" in zone was worthy of a report.

This is a flawed system and should be addressed as such.

In my original post I addressed the issue with possible solutions. I also addressed the flaws of the system. Please see the original post, if you came here just to call me angry, that's fine. You're not adding to the discussion.
    edited May 2013
    It was a poor one, which was my point. It is no where near as devastating as these threads make it out to be.

Why are you so ignorant? He basically said just because you can't see a problem doesn't mean there isn't one. The severity of the situation doesn't matter and has no point being in this argument.
  • jn2002dk1jn2002dk1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I am angry. Not because I can't use zone chat, but because I cannot play the game for 24 hours because a group of people thought my "WTB" in zone was worthy of a report.

In my original post I addressed the issue with possible solutions. I also addressed the flaws of the system. Please see the original post, if you came here just to call me angry, that's fine. You're not adding to the discussion.
    It was a response to the post i quoted

We can debate whether the punishment is too harsh. Personally i'd be ok with limiting the ban to zone chat. Still, there is a difference between debating that and claiming it's a system that's open for exploiting which as i see it is highly unlikely
    edited May 2013

You need a proof to understand that it MAY BE exploited? You need a proof to understand that a 20 ppl guild may get banned everyone they don't agree with? Or they lose a PVP match to? Or lose some rare loot to? You're actually saying "leave that bug there until someone will exploit it".
    edited May 2013
    Why are you so ignorant? He basically said just because you can't see a problem doesn't mean there isn't one. The severity of the situation doesn't matter.

Yes, let's talk about ignorant, shall we? A guy that posts a screenshot where he has one line of text, in what could easily be 3 seconds of chat, claims he's not spamming, and then, to support his claim of not breaking rules, he posts the private email from PW/Cryptic, which is a violation of the forum's rules. Quite simply put, if he can't obey the rules on the forums, which is documented by his posting of the email, and then claims "I didn't know it was against the rules", how does he know he's not breaking the rules in game? The better question actually is: How am I supposed to believe him? Why would I think that somebody that will blatantly break the forum rules isn't spamming Zone chat? If he's chat banned, how is he providing more screenshots of his activity? Was he screenshotting the whole day, or running FRAPS for a "How to sell items in chat" video?
  • kilo418kilo418 Member Posts: 823 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Use the auction house. Problem solved.
    edited May 2013
    You need a proof to understand that it MAY BE exploited? You need a proof to understand that a 20 ppl guild may get banned everyone they don't agree with? Or they lose a PVP match to? Or lose some rare loot to? You're actually saying "leave that bug there until someone will exploit it".
    1. It's not a bug

2. Yes, i need to see proof since it's highly unlikely anyone would go to the trouble of getting 20 people to mute the same person for no reason

3. If it actually happened i'm pretty sure a GM could clear it up if you made a ticket
  • trevien29trevien29 Member Posts: 257 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    First, a dedicated trade channel should be made and I know that players CAN make a trade channel.

However, I do like the report spam causing a ban on public chat channels. It should however still allow Party chat and Guild Chat. It should block whispers and the ability to invite to parties.
    edited May 2013
    kilo418 wrote: »
    Use the auction house. Problem solved.

Some people would rather trade for keys, gold or other items. Point invalidated.
    1. It's not a bug

2. Yes, i need to see proof since it's highly unlikely anyone would go to the trouble of getting 20 people to mute the same person for no reason

3. If it actually happened i'm pretty sure a GM could clear it up if you made a ticket

1. Not a bug, yes. Exploitable? Yes.

2. You have clearly never had a group of friends.

3. Once again, tickets are not responded to in a timely manner or at all.

If I needed to play with 20 different people to play this game, and had them available I would absolutely chat ban everyone saying there is no problem.
This discussion has been closed.