What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Chat Banned. Proof this system sucks.

Comments

• Options
    preludeiipreludeii Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Ah yes, eventually. Clearly a reliable method of contacting someone for a 24 hour unjust ban.

Soon (tm)
  • Options
    etherealjetherealj Member Posts: 1,091 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    It's odd that the game doesn't artificially throttle back your ability to talk in /zone after a couple messages. I mean, forums limit how fast you can post, wtf is with ingame chat?
    Use the <removed exploit lead-in> to interact with the auction vendor.
  • Options
    cerowlolcerowlol Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    etherealj wrote: »
    It's odd that the game doesn't artificially throttle back your ability to talk in /zone after a couple messages. I mean, forums limit how fast you can post, wtf is with ingame chat?

It could be annoying, there are some barely populated zones where people are actually discussing stuff (sometimes even game/zone related), I had some really fun talks while leveling and I wouldn't want to miss those. If you could limit your method to the protector's enclave it'd be fine I guess, but please leave the other zones the way they are.
  • Options
    kilo418kilo418 Member Posts: 823 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    verdonix1 wrote: »
    Listen, I do not like to be misquoted... I NEVER said what you are saying, I said THIS
    >

If you are going to twist words around to prove your weak position, use someone else's words. is A LOT different then

Then why did you respond to my quote about people abusing the system with :I can show you guilds and clans in other games and this one, that have their "fun" purely by "messing" with other people." That doesn't make sense at all.
  • Options
    wtiowhoihtea895ywtiowhoihtea895y Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So basically:

1) The rules don't define what "Spam" can consist of.

2) The 20 people that report a post aren't aware of each others actions.

3) No indication of how close you've been to getting muted except when actually getting muted.

4) No warning system.

5) Incredibly crippling punishment.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Wow, you really are a "special" kind of .... nvm .... YOUR POST --->

MY REPLY ---->

You said that you have not seen 20 people out to use the chat ban function to harass someone... My reply was an implication that even though you do not see them, they are there, because some people are just mean. You are twisting my reply to be a direct answer to your statement, when it was more a statement that I have seen the type of people you speak of, and they exist.

TL:DR I never told you I could show you people doing that specific thing, BUT I can show you tons of people that are capable of it by the way they find "enjoyment" at the dismay of others.

Read my post that you quoted prior to this one. I acknowledge the fact that there are griefers out there, but for 20 people to put you on ignore, it is you causing the problem, not 20 griefers roaming together.

And there is no need to be rude. I have no called you any names, nor have I insulted you. Keep it civil or be disregarded as another raging kid.
  • Options
    pizzamuraipizzamurai Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    kilo418 wrote: »
    Read my post that you quoted prior to this one. I acknowledge the fact that there are griefers out there, but for 20 people to put you on ignore, it is you causing the problem, not 20 griefers roaming together.

And there is no need to be rude. I have no called you any names, nor have I insulted you. Keep it civil or be disregarded as another raging kid.
    Wrong. The westboro baptist church has well over 20 members and they do what they do IN REAL LIFE, WITHOUT ANONYMITY. Would you like to be censored according to their rules?

No?

Then your point is invalid. Please stop providing nonsensical arguments that help nobody but trolls and people who try to censor everything they don't like. One does NOT need to be a typical "griefer" to grief someone.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    pizzamurai wrote: »
    Wrong. The westboro baptist church has well over 20 members and they do what they do IN REAL LIFE, WITHOUT ANONYMITY. Would you like to be censored according to their rules?

No?

Then your point is invalid.

So you have 20 people banning people for their own enjoyment? Submit tickets and have them permabanned for harassing players.
  • Options
    rictrasrictras Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 239 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Ah, right. Because you haven't, the system is working as intended.

You are not the center of the universe. Thousands of people play this game. All have different experiences.

As I stated neither I nor anyone I know has been chat banned. As you stated, many thousands of people play this game. And of those many thousands, you just happened to be the one who others chose to grief by chat banning on three separate occassions?

The far more likely explanation is that you are doing something to get those chat bans.
    The meaning of life, is to give life meaning.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    rictras wrote: »
    As I stated neither I nor anyone I know has been chat banned. As you stated, many thousands of people play this game. And of those many thousands, you just happened to be the one who others chose to grief by chat banning on three separate occassions?

The far more likely explanation is that you are doing something to get those chat bans.

Nope, system must be broken because there are people out there to get them. They couldn't be possibly doing anything to earn the ignores.
  • Options
    pizzamuraipizzamurai Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    kilo418 wrote: »
    So you have 20 people banning people for their own enjoyment? Submit tickets and have them permabanned for harassing players.

Sorry but that is not a valid solution. That is a knee jerk reaction, and the very reason that the majority of game services do not allow players to police themselves. Players, in general, are selfish <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>.

Out of 10000 players, it is NOT hard to have 20 of them find the same message and say 'I don't like what this person is saying/doing. I'm going to report spam on them hehehe" without having ANY clue or care of the repercussions, they just don't want to see that person again because they are selfish and want to see only what they want to see.

I can guarantee you there's at least 20 people on these forums who would report me just for mentioning George Carlin because it offends their delicate sensibilities. Or because I called them gerbils, since they only read the last line. Whatever, point is... the system is very very easily abusable, and not necessarily by people with overall malicious intent.

Now I have to go to work and will probably completely forget about this thread by the time I get home, so good luck to everyone arguing against you and anyone who thinks this system of banning all chat is a good idea.
  • Options
    elessymelessym Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Fact: You get reported by 20 people for saying ANYTHING and you get chat banned.

True.
    Fact: You are chat banned for 24hrs from ALL chat.

True.
    Probable: It is the same 20 people that are all "buds" reporting people for actions those 20 people find annoying.

BZZZZT. Complete and utter fabrication.
    Fact: There is NO resource to sell items for gold, which IS a needed currency.

Untrue. There is no officially sanctioned resource to do so. Player created chat channels are freely available.
    Fact: There is NO resource to "WTB" anything, save for what MAY be available on the AH.

Untrue. There is no officially sanctioned resource to do so. Player created chat channels are freely available.
    Fact: Most of the time, IF you find what you "WTB" on the AH, there is a 5 day auction set to it with no B/O.

Untrue.
    Fact: There is NO "Trade" chat like in MANY other MMO's.

Untrue. There is no officially sanctioned Trade chat.
    Fact: There are no rules about asking to buy and offering to sell in "Zone" chat, I would also go out on a limb and say that Cryptic envisioned that "Zone" chat would be used for private selling, just like "World" chat is used in MANY other games.

True. However, the Cryptic-developed chat ban system obviously also envisioned that chat channels would be used in a fashion that the community finds appropriate. That is what is happening here.
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • Options
    calaminthacalamintha Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    c0mixfan wrote: »
    Yep, and then you can be reported for abusing the system and get banned. It's win/win! :P

Abusing? Like people here who report others for making trades? Is that what you meant?
  • Options
    nephtnepht Member Posts: 5,826 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Its not 20 its 5 I've had my Guild test on me 5 ignores and BAMO its Superchatbanland.

I think its useful for getting rid of gold sellers, which is what its meant for but players are using it for reason it wasn't intended for.
  • Options
    jihancritiasjihancritias Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Actually, it's not the op's fault at all. It's the dev's fault, and it's the player's fault for being children (looking at you shahualing). No one should be silenced without review, if requested, just because some people report it as spam. Since there is no trade chat, unless I haven't ever seen it, then zone chat is trade, zone, lfg. You report actual spammers; i.e. gold sellers or people actually spamming the channel with the same message 10 lines in a row.

They need to make a lfg channel and another channel for trade. Disable the ability to link and highlight items in zone chat, when the other channels are established, and start reviewing petitions for chat to be returned. Player's chat shouldn't be disabled just because the reporters get mad when their post disappears fast, and think reporting spam will help them.

Or, are you just reporting because you can't post your item or your lfg message? Seeing as it's, by your actions, not lfg or trade, you should be reported as well.

I don't see the huge problem. If someone has a question about something in the game, I somehow see it through all of the insane spam (sarcasm), and send them a tell helping them. Sometimes, I just help them in zone without sending a tell. And, they see the message and thank me. How is that possible?

Must be a sad person to be so easily annoyed by other players chat.
    TL : DR? Then don't waste my time responding.
  • Options
    ehraehra Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This is a really controversial feature over on Champions Online and Star Trek Online as well. There have been threads about it for ages.

http://co-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=212121
    http://co-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=222871
    http://co-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=208711
    http://co-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=154501
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/archive/index.php/t-268899.html
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=269325

I'm really surprised that the system has not only remained as is for this long, but has also been implemented in even more games over the years. It's obvious that if a system only works properly if people on the internet don't abuse it, when abuse is easy and convenient, then it's not going to work.

There are lots of people who will act like anyone who gets silenced must be spamming or being a jerk, or that it simply doesn't happen at all because they personally haven't had it happen to them. But, having experience with Cryptic's past games, I know better.
  • Options
    kenjidoomkenjidoom Member Posts: 21
    edited May 2013
    If someone is being a ******* they deserve to be shut down. The problem is too many people are just garbage human beings who only find happiness in making others less happy. No matter what system they use those terrible people will find a way to abuse others for their enjoyment.
  • Options
    elessymelessym Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    nepht wrote: »
    Its not 20 its 5 I've had my Guild test on me 5 ignores and BAMO its Superchatbanland.

I think its useful for getting rid of gold sellers, which is what its meant for but players are using it for reason it wasn't intended for.

Recently? And in NW? Because recent tests in NW show it's much greater than 5.
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • Options
    jihancritiasjihancritias Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    elessym wrote: »
    True. However, the Cryptic-developed chat ban system obviously also envisioned that chat channels would be used in a fashion that the community finds appropriate. That is what is happening here.

So, many, many other players find zone chat appropriate for trading, since there is no trade channel. They are part of the community, so it's ok. That's what you're saying. So, they shouldn't be banned unless they actually spam.

If the op showed the screenshot without possible spamming, then banning would be alright. If he actually only posted once every thirty seconds or a minute, whatever, then it's childish to ban. The ability to report spam is there to stop multiple messages in quick succession. Players should ignore instead of report, if it hurts their eyes that much.

Also, beyond disabling linkable items in zone (when Cryptic adds trade chat in), limiting messaging to once every ten seconds or so (not including whispers, guild and group chat, etc.), and reviewing bans when the player requests it, is needed.
    TL : DR? Then don't waste my time responding.
  • Options
    phaetu1phaetu1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Why won't the NW team make a Trade channel?
    Seems logical.

Banning people for the hell of it seems like another gamebreaker to me.
    Lucky for me I don't chat at all.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    elessym wrote: »
    Recently? And in NW? Because recent tests in NW show it's much greater than 5.

Yes but I am thinking report Spam counts as 2 or 3 ignores.

*EDIT*

But thinking of it I did tell a couple of racists to shut their holes they might have also ignored me.
  • Options
    foxwaterfoxwater Member Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I tend to /ignore anybody with a WTB, WTS or WTT. If they are spamming repeatedly, i give them a report instead.

Ive not got a problem with the buying and selling, ive got a problem with them FLOODING zone chat so we cant use it for its intended purpose, when theres a bloody trade channel. I am not on the /trade channel for a reason.
    Kitsunami Lupo
    Head of PR
    http://www.gamersaurs.com/
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Why don't you enlighten us on what the zone channels intended purpose is
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    preludeii wrote: »
    Why don't you enlighten us on what the zone channels intended purpose is

To chat in zone.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    WTT/WTS/WTB sound like conversation starters to me, channel working as intended
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    So fun fact. The chat channels are linked between games.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    So fun fact. The chat channels are linked between games.

Yup, helps me communicate with my guild members in all three games, its rather useful.
  • Options
    rictrasrictras Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 239 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    WTT/WTS/WTB sound like conversation starters to me, channel working as intended

So if somebody did that repeatedly in the span of a few seconds, you would be eager to start a conversation with them?
    The meaning of life, is to give life meaning.
This discussion has been closed.