test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Is this the most disastrous MMO launch in history?

Comments

• sdneversdnever Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 116 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    You should of seen WoW release. This is nothing.
  • melanko0melanko0 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    klucient wrote: »
    Until the NGE hit and then it made me want to do unpleasant and violent things to the person that thought up that disaster. RIP SWG.

Yeah man, I fell ya.
  • startedloststartedlost Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    aevlom wrote: »
    I've lived through most MMO launches. Anarchy Online was bad,but .... this game and Defiance are neck and neck for taking the new lead in shame.

I agree. Defiance is an utter disaster (and they just laid off a huge portion of Trion's Defiance team). I switched to this game and was loving it 1000% more than Defiance, and still very much do. PWE just let the economy get away from them from bugs and exploits which is what has turned me off. I still think Defiance takes the cake of recent terrible launches, but with all of this recent economy busting stuff going on with NW, it is starting to get up there with Defiance.

I can see myself coming back to NW if they fix a few things, because the gameplay is awesome and the activities seem endless. Defiance is cooked for good.
  • startedloststartedlost Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    sdnever wrote: »
    You should of seen WoW release. This is nothing.

You obviously weren't there. Nothing like what this game is falling victim to. Wow was buggy, but didn't get exploited nearly to the extend this game is being.
  • labbblabbb Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ROFL
    Not even close . SWG days not playable . Even Wow was down for a couple days at launch . Rift was a solid game , unfortunately not enough servers , people waiting in line for over 8 hours to get in . The list goes on .
  • mutharexmutharex Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    klucient wrote: »
    I think SimCity had similar issues. The new one. Probably the only reason why I haven't purchased it yet.

Well, that and the fact that I have to be connected to the internet to play it (as far as I know).

Yeah SIm City 5(?) had similar if not worse issues
  • thepasherthepasher Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I was wondering like the OP about the worst MMO launches in history. Found an old article on Massively outlining the issues with MMOs that have launched in the past.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/05/31/the-perfect-ten-worst-mmo-launches-of-all-time/

Intresting Reading...

Cheers! :cool:
  • mutharexmutharex Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You obviously weren't there. Nothing like what this game is falling victim to. Wow was buggy, but didn't get exploited nearly to the extend this game is being.

WoW had exploits as well and had bugs (like getting stuck trying to loot or gather) for MONTHS after release.
    Hell, at a certain point they had to change how the addons worked and ended up banning quite a few of them
  • revenantbobrevenantbob Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    cera001 wrote: »
    I'm still stuck on the fact that the official response was the exploiters were just Nashers...:o

I laughed at that. It was funny.
    houserin_signature.png
  • klucientklucient Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

There were plenty of exploits in WoW at the start. People teleporting to mining nodes and glitching bosses and there was a lot of downtime back then whenever a patch was released, even the small patches. Then there was being able to run around cities and giving everyone corrupted blood and killing everyone or if you were feeling like a jerk and you were a hunter, you'd wait until Baron put Living Bomb on your pet then unsummon it and resummon at a city. The last ones, while not exploits, made for a pretty miserable time.
    edited May 2013
    This game isn't dead, people are still online, thousands of people. They didn't quit, they're not quitting.

Wow had so many exploits it was rediculous, LOOOOOONG after release. ANybody play capture the flag when people could just walk in midair with it so you couldn't kill them? That was a fun one.

At release, anyone remember the 10 minutes it'd take to loot anything?

I remember when honor came out and we had minutes between using an ability and it went off in Tarren Mills when we were PVP battling, that was a fun day.
    houserin_signature.png
  • inflamezlolinflamezlol Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 56
    edited May 2013
    WoW. I remember when that trash game and wasn't dumbed down for all the ****ters. GOOOD TIMES
    inflameziinew.gif
  • enderlin50enderlin50 Member Posts: 993 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    FFXIV.. Game had such a bad launch they went back into Beta from Launch then kept the servers in "Open Beta/Soft Launch" for an entire year eating the $14.99/m they intended.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013
    enderlin50 wrote: »
    FFXIV.. Game had such a bad launch they went back into Beta from Launch then kept the servers in "Open Beta/Soft Launch" for an entire year eating the $14.99/m they intended.

Aaaah I forgot that. To think that I bought that because Keen of the blog Keen and Greaves said it was very good.

Of course I deleted that blog from my RSS immediately after uninstalling the game
  • vikinggamervikinggamer Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    natakutdh wrote: »
    This is still beta... Does nobody remember WoW? 2000 person queues were standard....

anyone remember when Aion launched and they had 8 hour queues here in the states for a week? It was even worse in Europe, 12-20 hour queues in some cases. It was because people could keep themselves logged in indefinitely just by opening a personal store.

All die, so die well.
  • klucientklucient Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    anyone remember when Aion launched and they had 8 hour queues here in the states for a week? It was even worse in Europe, 12-20 hour queues in some cases. It was because people could keep themselves logged in indefinitely just by opening a personal store.

I remember having to ask my wife to log me in when she would hours before I got off work just to make it home in time to enter the server.
    Which was so very, very saaaaad.
    edited May 2013
    mutharex wrote: »
    Aaaah I forgot that. To think that I bought that because Keen of the blog Keen and Greaves said it was very good.

Of course I deleted that blog from my RSS immediately after uninstalling the game

If you bought the original you get the updated version free and you will get your free month again at the re-release. If you want to give it a second chance. Initial reports are that it is essentially a whole new game. I know I will at least check it out.

All die, so die well.
  • inflamezlolinflamezlol Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 56
    edited May 2013
    8 hour Q times that sounds pretty cray. From what I remember hearing about the lvl grind that was far worse then the Q times.
    inflameziinew.gif
  • xyntrynz1axyntrynz1a Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 243 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Aion had a pretty crappy start.
    It also was a huge disappointment from a graphics point of view. All the ads made it look incredible, but then the in game graphics were very cartoonish.

Neverwinter looks amazing, runs great on pretty low level hardware and It's been fun to play.

Too many Drama Queens on the internet
    Scoundrel Trickster Rogue
    Leaving dead question marks everywhere
  • sdneversdnever Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 116 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013

there was nothing to exploit at WoW release. It was more of a closed beta than a release. what did we have, 1 level 60 dungeon? But as content got released the exploits came.
  • tuckerbeartuckerbear Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Because Open beta = launch of the game right? .....
  • doobysnackzdoobysnackz Member Posts: 34
    edited May 2013
    tuckerbear wrote: »
    Because Open beta = launch of the game right? .....

Yes, dillwad.

This is not open beta. This is a company telling you it's open beta, even tho it's launched. Only sheeple don't get this nuance...

Here is a great little read addressing this very issue. http://www.mmorpg.com/showFeature.cfm/loadFeature/7418/The-Beta-Is-a-Lie.html

/thread
    edited May 2013
    Yes, dillwad.

This is not open beta. This is a company telling you it's open beta, even tho it's launched. Only sheeple don't get this nuance...

Here is a great little read addressing this very issue. http://www.mmorpg.com/showFeature.cfm/loadFeature/7418/The-Beta-Is-a-Lie.html

/thread

There is a difference between not getting it and not caring.

All die, so die well.
    edited May 2013
    There is a difference between not getting it and not caring.

Yeah, the difference being the former is just ignorance while the latter is willful ignorance.
    edited May 2013
    I'm sorry, FF14 had to take the game down and completely rebuild it. I think that's the worst MMO release.
    houserin_signature.png
  • starkaosstarkaos Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ozuman wrote: »
    and the sword art online launch?
    they got trapped inside that game, and at least 8000 players died, for real. XD

Yeah that had to be the worst launch ever. But I heard the gameplay and graphics were awesome in that game.
    edited May 2013
    Duck test:

If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck.

The NDA has been lifted.
    There will be no character wipes, server wipes, and etc.
    Money is being exchanged for services.
    MMOs are always being patched and improved upon.

Neverwinter is what it is...LAUNCHED.
    edited May 2013
    Yeah, the difference being the former is just ignorance while the latter is willful ignorance.

The difference is in picking one's fights wisely. Complaining over semantics is really a good use of one's time or effort.

All die, so die well.
  • cdnbisoncdnbison Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 806 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Not even close.
    Star Wars Galaxies was barely playable at launch. If you managed to get logged in, server side lag ruined any chance of getting any playing in. It was released in a barely-beta state.
    Anarchy Online made the SWG launch look good.
    WoW was barely playable for *weeks* at launch. Queues in the thousands. New servers that crashed. Bugs.

I also recall an EQ bug that made every mob in one particular zone drop a ton of cash.

So no, nowhere near the worst launch.
  • lemordetulemordetu Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    veelio wrote: »
    still beta, dont care what you say!

dont play beta if you dont want updates

If you seriously think this is EVER going to come out of "beta" status - you are delusional,
    It will mostl ikely get shut down/discontinued, if anything. But probably after them not fixing anything that is so broken in the game, everyone will justg leave, except you ofcourse!