test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Is this the most disastrous MMO launch in history?

Comments

• antonn13antonn13 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hahahaha double wrong.

Making a product or service available to the general public for a monetary amount is a product RELEASE. They can call it what they want to try and keep the fanboy's at bay but in the eyes of our consumer protection laws what they call their release DOES NOT MATTER ONE BIT.

Hilarious that so many people are still duped by Cryptic's "this is open beta" tag to justify not having done adequate testing or capacity planning.

Its clueless lemmings like this that allow releases like this to become the norm.
    You need to fix your sarcasm detector.
  • sumeragisansumeragisan Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    antonn13 wrote: »
    Yes. And it's still a success.

Great joke.
  • malagarrmalagarr Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    drexl420 wrote: »
    I don't think I've seen an MMO launch with this much maintenance (every day? seriously?), this much class imbalance (useless GF/GWF, too much heal aggro, etc.), and this many exploits.

And before you say to me, oh it's not a launch its still beta, PUH-LEASE wake up and smell the roses this game is full soft launch in every way imaginable, Cryptic only calls it a beta cos they dont want to be held liable for any bugs that are found.

lol...that's cute.

Welcome to the world of MMOs. If this is the worst launch you've experienced, you're obviously fairly new to them!
  • zeuseason411zeuseason411 Member Posts: 107
    edited May 2013
    This game is LIVE, don't be dumb.
  • jorealjoreal Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I don't think I've seen an MMO launch with this much maintenance (every day? seriously?), this much class imbalance (useless GF/GWF, too much heal aggro, etc.), and this many exploits.

And before you say to me, oh it's not a launch its still beta, PUH-LEASE wake up and smell the roses this game is full soft launch in every way imaginable, Cryptic only calls it a beta cos they dont want to be held liable for any bugs that are found.

The only one reading more into the open beta tag on this game is you. Beta is a state of the code not a state of release. The open beta tag indicates that things can and will change significantly. So to say that they are trying to hide behind it is just ignorant. I've not seen one comment from Cryptic using the Open Beta tag as a shield from criticism. If anything I've seen them accept responsibility for the issues and expediting action with constant updates.

So no I wouldn't say this is a bad launch because it hasn't been launched officially yet. It hasn't been widely advertised or promoted. It hasn't been widely reviewed or anything. There have been a few select articles reviewing it, but those reviewers have no problem commenting on beta code.

As someone else said the issue is not IF you will have bugs or exploits, but how you respond to them. Every game has exploits, but a VAST majority of companies simply try to hide it. What Cryptic and PW did was be open and transparent through the entire situation. It was the community that ran rampant with speculation and hate even when there was clear information about what was going on.
  • oblongshipoblongship Member Posts: 38
    edited May 2013
    ybg wrote: »
    Yes this is. Dead after only about 3 weeks.

Show me some proof its dead...oh you can only show me the same minority complaining in the forums? Cool cool...well when I log in it seems FAR from dead...
  • bori4bori4 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 82
    edited May 2013
    Not even close. Anarchy Online still worst launch ever. Defiance was a bit of a mess too aye.
    Bori - Renegade Drow - 40 Trickster Rogue - Mindflayer
    Elocin - Renegade Drow - 39 Devoted Cleric of Selune - Mindflayer

Looking for some Dust of Forum Troll Disappearance
    ? Sprinkle this on any troll to phase shift them out of your plane of existence. ;)

• askopdkapokaskopdkapok Member Posts: 648 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    bori4 wrote: »
    Not even close. Anarchy Online still worst launch ever. Defiance was a bit of a mess too aye.

Funny.. I was playing and loving AO from day 1. Not even in the same league of bad launches as several other MMO's I can name.
  • foxwaterfoxwater Member Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    wow, haha. wow.

No, by far:

SWTOR's head start crashed, and it took down most of its servers BEFORE the actual release. On release day, the severs just upped and died and it took them days to fix it all.

WoW had a complete server meltdown and rollback on the server i was playing on at launch.

Guild Wars 2's servers all went down for nearly a day on launch due to the sheer amount of people hammering the login servers they simply died.

Vanguard saga of heroes...the servers were not stable for WEEKS after launch. It took them nearly a month to get them working, and for things to stabolsie by then a lot of people had left.

I could go on...

I have yet to see a MMORPG launch that does not have a critical server failure.
    Kitsunami Lupo
    Head of PR
    http://www.gamersaurs.com/
  • futrixfutrix Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    See sig. Image taken right from the front page.
  • stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    chintae wrote: »
    And one of the admins has gone on record saying that 'THis is a known issue, the game is in Open Beta'

But what does this mean to you? Why do you care whether it is in Open Beta or Live?

Also Arc shows it correctly being in OB as does the actual launcher...it's just something the haters cling to.
    futrix wrote: »
    See sig. Image taken right from the front page.

Is it odd when I read that I heard Samuel L Jackson? :p
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • bbsoonerbbsooner Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 84
    edited May 2013
    Every MMO launch is the "most disasterous launch in MMO history", to somebody at least.
  • tronlintronlin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I hear this with every launch of every mmo Ive ever played.
  • crypt0kn1ghtcrypt0kn1ght Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Not even close. You should have been around for the Anarchy Online launch. THAT set the standard for launch disaster. This is pretty minor.
  • gillityrgillityr Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 33
    edited May 2013
    Not everything needs to be an extreme, ever toppling the previous record.

It is not the worst. Stop it.
  • sasheriasasheria Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Not even close. You should have been around for the Anarchy Online launch. THAT set the standard for launch disaster. This is pretty minor.

Oh YEA!!!! I totally forgot about AO.

Heh. I remember DAoC was pretty bad when RvRvR cause the whole thing to crash :)

It has been 7+ years, but people forgotten WoW had a pretty rough start. Usually each expansion also get hit by lag and some bugs.

The problem is that "open beta" has change IMO since what it "suppose to mean" I always think that Beta is just beta (close or open) then there is a wipe then release/live.

The problem with ANY MMO is that you can't really test it until it is out there. That is what I thought Open Beta is all about. It open the game to everyone out there and test the heck out of the system and then wipe then release it as "live"
    To grow old is inevitable, to grow up is optional.
    Please review my campaign and I'll return the favor.
  • lltsnwnlltsnwn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 787 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013

The game is in Open Beta and here is the post detailing it:

Neverwinter Open Beta is now live. Log in and play now!

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?162821-Neverwinter-Open-Beta-is-now-live-Log-in-and-play-now!

Neverwinter Open Beta is now live and available for all players! Are you ready to log in and explore the Forgotten Realms?
    12.jpgRanger.jpg
  • robertthebardrobertthebard Member Posts: 543 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Not even close. Sorry, but I don't know how many launches you've actually seen, but it's nowhere near as bad as some of the ones I've been involved with.
    Reading comprehension is essential in a medium that requires reading for communication.
  • ozcolloozcollo Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I wouldn't see it as being the most disastrous. The important thing to take note of during early periods of an MMO's life is how the developers handle these situations. They happen in almost all MMOs during betas/launches and expecting otherwise would make you naive. If the company/developers handle it to a degree that satisfies you, then you have a good idea what to expect in the future and if a game is worth sinking time and money into.

I made my decision thanks to these events.
  • rifter13rifter13 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    As someone that played WoW and Anarchy Online on launch day... Well, The old Starwars Galaxies, too, I can say that no, this is not the worst launch ever. This is actually pretty darn spotless, by comparison.
  • zierkzierk Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 19
    edited May 2013
    Patches everyday is a good thing. Other games go weeks before patching things.
  • ozumanozuman Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    and the sword art online launch?
    they got trapped inside that game, and at least 8000 players died, for real. XD
  • klucientklucient Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

See: Vanguard Saga of Heroes (sp?)

Also WoW(yes the mmo 'giant') went down for about a week straight at the very beginning and had a multitude of latency issues caused by their hardware and their ISP. Not sure if people remember that at all though.
  • ufdamayaufdamaya Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 42
    edited May 2013
    The game seems to be doing well and the bugs are getting worked out. I am glad they had this open beta period to work out everything before the system goes live. I love this game!
  • melanko0melanko0 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I've seen way worse. D3 (although not MMO but was persistent online) was offline for the first full day and Star Wars Galaxies back in the day wasn't even a completed game (broken classes and content at launch but eventually became an awesome game).
  • glanniganglannigan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 463 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I haven't has a single issue. Not one bugged quest or anything. No problems at all. Smoothest game I ever played.
    edited May 2013
    melanko0 wrote: »
    I've seen way worse. D3 (although not MMO but was persistent online) was offline for the first full day and Star Wars Galaxies back in the day wasn't even a completed game (broken classes and content at launch but eventually became an awesome game).

Until the NGE hit and then it made me want to do unpleasant and violent things to the person that thought up that disaster. RIP SWG.
  • mutharexmutharex Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    xxskylitxx wrote: »
    I am going to assume you were never there for the Diablo 3 launch...If you think this is bad, you must be new to MMO's

Yup, D3, a single player game you couldn't play because their servers were borked.
  • cutsoncutson Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hey blo0dy farktards, what time are the forking servers coming back up.
    Fooking hell, do your fooking job pigs.
    You incompetent pigs disgust me.
    The person who hired you is a da177n <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>.
    Fokking pigs; that's what ye are.
    Never seen <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> as bad as you.
    Fix the servers, eat <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> n die already.
    Forking mud faced idi0tic m0rons.
    Seriously fokk you.
    Do you forking know how long was the downtime.
    Forksh1t bustards! Every single one of you.
    Especially if a bl0ody fooking basturd deletes this.
    Sw1nes. You should not eat drink nor sleep till this is fixed and you are still taking your own bl0ody sweet time.
    Forking piece of <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> that's beneath a sw1ne.

This amazing piece of prose is a perfect example of why developers should never ever read the forums.
    edited May 2013
    mutharex wrote: »
    Yup, D3, a single player game you couldn't play because their servers were borked.

I think SimCity had similar issues. The new one. Probably the only reason why I haven't purchased it yet.

Well, that and the fact that I have to be connected to the internet to play it (as far as I know).