test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Network Maintenance @ 6AM on 5.12.13 Pacific Time

Comments

• sirkimjongsirkimjong Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 97
    edited May 2013
    canstrom wrote: »
    I would like to point out that they are still SELLING things for money, this kinda kills the idea it's 'beta'. Hell, we don't even know if there will be a character wipe when it goes "live". Wish companies would stop trying to call things beta, when in reality this is the final product.

There won't be a character wipe, that's why you can already buy stuff.
    It's beta when they call it beta, even if you can pay money. Otherwise you'd get everything for free, without a character wipe. That WOULD ruin the entire economy.
  • salubrius1salubrius1 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Devs get 1.5 hours to try and fix every bug you guys encountered in the game

Not so mate. I work as a PM for a GD company, the fixes are all done in a dev environment first then tested in sandbox. Only then are the fixes given the green light for a move to the live server. Once in a blue moon is permission given to hotfix direct on live - it has to be a serious issue for that to happen. 1.5 hours is a fair time given that the game is in OB and there will be a load of fixes to roll out.

I understand peoples frustration about the down time for Europe. It pees me off too, but as this company is from the States they will roll with what works best for them so what can you do? (It might be that they may have looked at their demographics and decided that more of their players are US based of course)
  • zeroxoszeroxos Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ginsu207 wrote: »
    hopefully the server is up soon , its already 954AM Est time..... did they say 6am and for 90 only minutes?
    they have 4 minutes by my count =D
  • sikarusikaru Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    sneek wrote: »
    If it's so "free to play", lend me a free respec token, or maybe some free keys for my 50+ boxes? Oh wait... nvm, you're "free to play" is BS. Yeah thought so.

Don't pay attention to people like this. They are probally below 14 years old(no offense). They don't have a clue how much it cost to keep a game alive. How much it cost to pay all those developers that are doing these updates. They are so dumb or young that they think everything in life is FREE. Please get back into real life sometimes. Only to keep this server online cost thousands a month. So if this game is good I don't mind spending some money in cashshop to keep the game alive.

Sneek if you find a game with this quality without a cashshop please let me know.
  • tarkaroshetarkaroshe Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    subj3kt17 wrote: »
    As for the "off topic" bit, I realize it was somewhat. It was merely going through my head while considering my desire to keep playing this game, which was triggered by the down time...again. When I refer to the game not being in the spirit of traditional D&D, I'm basing that opinion off of my experience with the classes themselves. A lack of customization is the primary cause. A wizard can't ID things with a spell. A rogue can't open secret doors w/o a dungeoneering kit. Maybe my ways are just archaic. But that doesn't change my opinions.

Hmm.. Well, I can certainly understand what you mean when you mention about certain aspects missing (such as Wizards id'ing things by spells etc). Ever since I played DDO and realised the potential of creating more "interactivity" in dungeons, I've long since been a big advocate of having things like secret doors etc that can only be unlocked in certain ways.

In my opinion I wouldn't completely count this game out yet on the grounds that it doesn't include those elements. This game has the potential to begin including them in the future. Whether or not the devs will implement them is another matter. ;)
  • sanmercisanmerci Member Posts: 203 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ginsu207 wrote: »
    hopefully the server is up soon , its already 954AM Est time..... did they say 6am and for 90 only minutes?

They did, which means (unless something goes wrong) that the servers should be up in about a half hour.
  • graevongraevon Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    zeroxos wrote: »
    I would like to see any of the people that post on these forums or play this game actually do any better then Crytic, any of you who are actually upset about the down time in the beta stage. It's an hour. This game has given me very few issues idk about everyone else but really, go play an other game then come back >..> just saying.

Please why don't you learn what's going on before speaking, oh wait that would require literacy. Well maybe someone else can read this for you the problem is not beta alone. These constant crashes are with most if not all of their titles which are not in beta. This combined with the fact that people do pay to play these games and that they continually choose peak hours to do maintenance that has not been seen to fix the major issues ticks people off. Fyi I learned about this maintenance/crash which was more the latter imo while on BLR when the servers crashed there once again.
  • thepadfutonianthepadfutonian Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I would like to point out that they are still SELLING things for money, this kinda kills the idea it's 'beta'. Hell, we don't even know if there will be a character wipe when it goes "live". Wish companies would stop trying to call things beta, when in reality this is the final product.

they did mention that all purchases will be refunded in zen (you dont get your money back however).
    and yes, the admin mentioned that there will be NO character wipes.

I wonder how informed you are about this 'beta'?
  • subj3kt17subj3kt17 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    tarkaroshe wrote: »
    Hmm.. Well, I can certainly understand what you mean when you mention about certain aspects missing (such as Wizards id'ing things by spells etc). Ever since I played DDO and realised the potential of creating more "interactivity" in dungeons, I've long since been a big advocate of having things like secret doors etc that can only be unlocked in certain ways.

In my opinion I wouldn't completely count this game out yet on the grounds that it doesn't include those elements. This game has the potential to begin including them in the future. Whether or not the devs will implement them is another matter. ;)

True enough. There's always room for improvement. We will simply have to wait and see what the future brings.
    edited May 2013

Whether they sell things before or after a launch date, really has no bearing on whether this game is in beta.

Remember that in this day and age people are "buying" things as part of kickstarter contributions for games, well before the launch date of the game.

FYI, they've already said that there won't be another wipe.
    edited May 2013
    sikaru wrote: »
    Don't pay attention to people like this. They are probally below 14 years old(no offense). They don't have a clue how much it cost to keep a game alive. How much it cost to pay all those developers that are doing these updates. They are so dumb or young that they think everything in life is FREE. Please get back into real life sometimes. Only to keep this server online cost thousands a month. So if this game is good I don't mind spending some money in cashshop to keep the game alive.

Sneek if you find a game with this quality without a cashshop please let me know.

I KNOW I KNOW! WoW! oh wait..

=D good on you pal, glad you understand the money behind all this. Some people just don't get it.
  • morinoxmorinox Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    What every "whiner" on here expects is to be given a bit of notice when servers are going to be taken down for "scheduled maintenance", that is called courtesy and overrides whether or not this game is in open beta or post-launch state.

The fact is that if you make arrangements to do something, but are prevented from doing it because someone failed to inform you of a change in circumstances, then it's understandable if you are a little annoyed.

And THAT is precisely what has happened here. Cryptic failed to put the right date on the launcher and failed to inform people in game prior to taking the servers down. They've acknowledged that mistake (see earlier posts).

They're not actually obligated to give you any form of information during a beta phase. This is a case of what i call the entitlement syndrome, nothing more.

I read their post but that doesn't mean theyre any more obligated to inform you.

The majority on these forums aren't exactly the sharpest tools in the shed when it comes to knowledge about what a beta is and why developers run closed/open betas...
    "For in this modern world, the instruments of warfare are not solely for waging war. Far more importantly, they are the means for controlling peace..."

~Admiral Arleigh Burke~
  • slcfoxyslcfoxy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013

There are no more character wipes. They are still fine tuning the product and fixing bugs with your feedback, which is why it's beta. They wanted to get the game to you sooner, so they opened it up and promised no more wipes.
  • jhenarajhenara Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Although your post is off-topic I'd like to respond.

I'd disagree that this game isn't in the spirit of D&D. I used to play D&D, and have played numerous D&D computer games. Aside from a Dungeon-Master voice narrating over your gameplay, I think this game does quite well in trying to capture some of the essence of D&D. The only thing really missing is a restriction on the amount of spells used on a "daily" basis. But to be honest, I'm glad that aspect is missing. It didn't work well for me.

Is it perfect? No. But then, what is?

Well said. The hubs and I have met Salvatore probably a dozen times over the years at various cons, been to a ton of his seminars, and while I'd like to say we've chatted a few times, it was more like me fawning over his literary brilliance. If I recall correctly, I think he was pretty jazzed about the Neverwinter MMO. He played another online RPG which I'm sure we're all familiar with, and appears to have a very good handle on the capabilities and limitations of the MMO format. The amazingly imaginative cinematography of those books can't be precisely duplicated anywhere, because much of the beauty of them is that each story, in a way, is open to the individual interpretation of the reader, and Cryptic is doing a pretty good job of trying to be true to NWN origins (I think).

Our D&D group has been together about 15 years, and I kid them about flipping the heck out if a Marvel movie hero doesn't have precisely the same color thread holding together his/her spandex as it was in the comics (they don't really, but we love to make geek jokes). I'm sure I'm going to kid them about this, too. :)
  • imperviumimpervium Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Everybody here needs a hug. :D
    _

[SIGPIC]Captain Electric and the Sapien Spider[/SIGPIC]

"YES, PLEASE"
    Vote YES for the Foundry in Champions Online.
    @Captain-Electric | CoH/Virtue veteran | Proud new Champion
  • odinterimonodinterimon Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    BUMP !!
    demondim wrote: »
    Seriously?
    Every day shard/server/network maintenance.

Proactive effort to increase server uptime?
    Not too difficult when current uptime is barely above 50%

No patience & no understanding from me. There's simply no excuse for continual daily downtime always in EU timezone primetime.

" Every day shard/server/network maintenance " ...HAHA !!
    Guys you have to remember this is still officially "OPEN BETA" that means time to do what needs to be done in order to get things right as they seem fit, the fact the servers are up so much is in fact a credit to their hard work so far, but they need loading ( you,me and everyone else ) as part of testing etc....so back off a bit....its still free...if you have chosen to jump on the "Founders" wagon then you have the benefits, your still not paying to play...and to say "continually in EU timezone primetime" well its going to be in someones "primetime" stop whining...go and play in the sun or something...dammm
    edited May 2013
    subj3kt17 wrote: »
    True enough. There's always room for improvement. We will simply have to wait and see what the future brings.

Completely agree. From what I've seen, I've been quite surprised at the level of detail in dungeons in this game. After playing STO, I really didn't think that Cryptic had it in them. What we are seeing now is just a foundation for the future.

So the present state of the game gives me just a little hope that given some time the "dungeon experience" in Neverwinter make evolve even further to become more richer than it is now. Hopefully.
  • flashspamflashspam Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    morinox wrote: »
    They're not actually obligated to give you any form of information during a beta phase. This is a case of what i call the entitlement syndrome, nothing more.

I read their post but that doesn't mean theyre any more obligated to inform you.

The majority on these forums aren't exactly the sharpest tools in the shed when it comes to knowledge about what a beta is and why developers run closed/open betas...

They are not obligated to do so but since there are a whole lot of people playing this beta it's common courtesy to inform about scheduled maintenance.
  • odinterimonodinterimon Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    impervium wrote: »
    Everybody here needs a hug. :D

"thumbs up"
  • offkhochioffkhochi Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This 9.00 PM SEA Time zone now It's Open server ?
  • mrmensamrmensa Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Game is great, keep up the good work, for you who bash at the game, its your own fault you suck...
  • calaminthacalamintha Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    slcfoxy wrote: »
    There are no more character wipes. They are still fine tuning the product and fixing bugs with your feedback, which is why it's beta. They wanted to get the game to you sooner, so they opened it up and promised no more wipes.

Isn't that what all MMOs do though? It's not like they stop fixing bugs after the MMO launches.
  • cptcheese255cptcheese255 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    sneek wrote: »
    Hmm... ANY Dev that FORCES you to pay real money for a respec, keys, etcc... (the list goes on forever with this game) just to try and gouge you out of your money, does NOT deserve any respect whatsoever. Screw them and this POS money grubbing game.

Can't wait for ESO!!!! :)

How are they forcing you to buy anything? You don't need any of those things to play this game...
    Just go rage somewhere else
  • toiletduck1toiletduck1 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    By the way happy mother's day to all you mothers out there :P
  • siegzonsiegzon Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    They are taking money now. A LOT of money. You can call a tiger a chicken, it will still eat you. This is not Beta in the way that counts. They have customers now and doing WEEKEND maintenance on a game people are paying money to enjoy. If they are not good at customer service they will lose patronage and we will all get a game not as robust as it could be.
  • foolssinfoolssin Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    *sighs* Why do people keep insisting the game is pay-to-win? I've seen p2w... and this ain't it. while the lockboxes and the zen respec are somewhat annoying, the game more than makes up for it by not only the Astral Diamond/Zen market, but also being able to sell stuff at the AH for Astral diamonds. so if anything, this game is better in terms of zen shop accessibility via earning the Zen via exchange than both Star Trek Online and Champions Online. the crazy prices on the exchange will go away eventually most likely anyways as the market stabilizes.
    ]21.jpg[/
  • willstrwillstr Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 79
    edited May 2013
    As long as it is short maintenance, no harm to me..
    edited May 2013
    By the way happy mother's day to all you mothers out there :P

i wouldnt expect many mothers to be in these forums listening to rants about the game esp during mothers day. Happy mother's day to everyone's moms! including yours, fine sir.
  • morinoxmorinox Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    flashspam wrote: »
    They are not obligated to do so but since there are a whole lot of people playing this beta it's common courtesy to inform about scheduled maintenance.

If every game company had listened to the whiners on their forums, there would be no more games, and no more gaming communities.
    "For in this modern world, the instruments of warfare are not solely for waging war. Far more importantly, they are the means for controlling peace..."

~Admiral Arleigh Burke~
    edited May 2013
    jhenara wrote: »
    Well said. The hubs and I have met Salvatore probably a dozen times over the years at various cons, been to a ton of his seminars, and while I'd like to say we've chatted a few times, it was more like me fawning over his literary brilliance. If I recall correctly, I think he was pretty jazzed about the Neverwinter MMO. He played another online RPG which I'm sure we're all familiar with, and appears to have a very good handle on the capabilities and limitations of the MMO format. The amazingly imaginative cinematography of those books can't be precisely duplicated anywhere, because much of the beauty of them is that each story, in a way, is open to the individual interpretation of the reader, and Cryptic is doing a pretty good job of trying to be true to NWN origins (I think).

Our D&D group has been together about 15 years, and I kid them about flipping the heck out if a Marvel movie hero doesn't have precisely the same color thread holding together his/her spandex as it was in the comics (they don't really, but we love to make geek jokes). I'm sure I'm going to kid them about this, too. :)

I agree. The same goes for ANY translation of a book into a different entertainment medium. Like you say the experience that a reader has of a story is open to their own interpretation of the events and environments that are described in the book. Which is probably why people often say "its not as good as the book".

Take Terry Pratchett's novels. Utter brilliance in my opinion. But I've found that the tv portrayals of his first two books weren't that good (later ones did get better in my opinion).

In the end, I think that Neverwinter is a good foundation on which to build an experience that attempts to capture the essence of D&D and previous Neverwinter titles. It's not an exact replica. But it's a good start I think.