test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Paying cash To Respec - Everyone post your thoughts.

Comments

• Options
    rethophisrethophis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 71
    edited May 2013
    stratxzz wrote: »
    On Dragon, if you want to respec without actually paying cash you have to buy Zen with Astral Diamonds

600 Zen = 240,000 AD @ 400 AD per.

Right now, getting this much AD wouldn't be that difficult using the AH and selling items you get from Epic. ( Refining 24,000 a day is pointless )

---

I paid $60 for the Founder pack and its goodies. I am not sure if this is why I got a free respec on my first 60 ( A GWF ) And I was happy with that.

I just finished leveling a Control Wizard and I do not have a free respec.

Respecing is a core element of any RPG/MMO. Having to wait 10 Days through refining Astral Diamonds is the MOST ABSURD THING I HAVE EVER SEEN.

Please make noise about this. Loud Noise.
    I think that the price for a respec at the moment is a bit high. On Dungeons and Dragons online, the respec of the Enhancements (much like Feats here) is free and has a timer of 3 days, the respec of the whole character has a price in ingame-store Points and that's something difficult to acquire through ingame ways. Though DDO has the reincarnation which is a reroll of the same character from level 1 with some bonuses (pastlives): and this can be done for free once every 7 days, much like a complete respec with level up (you get more power each True recinarnation).

My suggestion is definitively to lower the price for respec, people have to play around with builds and this at the moment is a bit prohibitive.
    Known as Zerkul on DDO forums I]Ryumajin, Zavarthak, Leohands of Cannith[/I, look for me on YouTube.
  • Options
    marzattakzmarzattakz Member Posts: 48
    edited May 2013
    Please explain to me how you're meant to try various power and feat combinations to thoroughly understand the capabilities of your class when you have to drop ludicrous amounts of real world money to do so? HONESTLY!?

All of you saying "herpderp" to a cheaper and more accessible respec are either Closed Beta Elitists, Cookie Cutter Followers or simply mentally challenged. We have enough cash grabs in game, why make something so fundamental yet another? It makes PWE look bad in my books.
  • Options
    maximumsquidmaximumsquid Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    if you're serious about PvP one free respec is a joke

Every time you swap in a new teammate half your team will likely need to respec to optimize it
  • Options
    desadariusdesadarius Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Paying real world money or even AD's to respec sucks. They should allow this one feature to be done via in game Gold. Really, there isn't much to spend gold on in this game. To encourage players to mess around with their builds and try new things, IMHO gold respec's should be allowed. Those respecs should be no more than 1 gold. Of course, this will never happen at any gold price, but here's to dreaming.
  • Options
    alagos77alagos77 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 33
    edited May 2013
    I wouldn't describe respecs as a core elemtent of MMOs, they are there but usually rare. Skills are a part of what defines your champion. Just going and changing them around at random feels wrong to me. If you want a PvP build you first have to suffer through PvE to reap your rewards and vice versa.

I played DAoC for a long time and in the early years you basically had no way of respeccing your character unless you did a big raid with half the realm present or when the devs changed the game and reset your skills. Still, the game was fun and it often turned out that quite a few 'misskilled' builds just required others to get used to them and then turned into a new way to play.
  • Options
    sargassargas Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    cihuacoatl wrote: »
    While I think it is a good idea for a F2P game to charge for respecs. I also think that as stated above it is also in the spirit of D&D you shouldn't at all. Though given the lack of information about skills, the mechanics, and bugs with skills (assuming they even work). I think $6 is a bit much. Honestly almost everything on the store is a little over priced. Perhaps if their were more items in the store the few high priced items might not seem so bad.

So in a F2P shooter game it would be perfectly fine to charge players for ammo clips? Respecing your character is a huge element of character progression in MMOs and therefore should be free. Alternatively I could agree with paying once for the ability to respec my character as many times as I wish.
  • Options
    arnathosarnathos Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I am in the opinion that respec is a luxury and knowing that you may have to pay to respec should impact decision when chosing how you want to build your customer. It was best said in another post. If you play PnP how much would a respec cost you? The answer is nothing because it is not an option in DnD PnP . I feel that a slight charge is fine for a respec as too many players do not learn to play their classes being they are constantly respecing to test things instead of reading up/trying their class.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    dominemesisdominemesis Member Posts: 269 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Monetization is understood, but when gameplay is sacrificed, or you can detect the design decisions specifically engineered to bilk cash, then its too much. Also, it is funny, the game is based on 4th Ed D&D, which in fact does allow for retraining inherent to the game, now lets see the goal posts shift to "well not in proper D&D" aka 3.5 or lower. BTW most DMs who weren't total dicks in previous versions let players change stuff when it didn't work how they thought it would. Wouldn't have had too many players left at the table if your ultimatum to them had been, "Too bad don't like it re-roll or <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> off!" Like some folks are acting here.
  • Options
    calaminthacalamintha Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    rethophis wrote: »
    My suggestion is definitively to lower the price for respec, people have to play around with builds and this at the moment is a bit prohibitive.

NW doesn't even have a test server yet because it is a test server.
  • Options
    valvexenvalvexen Member Posts: 58
    edited May 2013
    Holy fck, respecing is not some luxury feature, bags are not a fcking luxury item, i dont mind paying for vanity items, but this nickle and dime bs is beyond stupid, and so are the idiots that defend this <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. When i play a game i dont want to be thinking about spending real money all the time while in game, its worse than walking down skid row with all the beggars with there hands out.

And the excuse of you should be careful on how you spec is <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>, its a game not real life, spending real money on mistakes, or just trying different builds is stupid.
  • Options
    umbagloumbaglo Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    marzattakz wrote: »
    Please explain to me how you're meant to try various power and feat combinations to thoroughly understand the capabilities of your class when you have to drop ludicrous amounts of real world money to do so? HONESTLY!?

If you're just "trying" combinations, then all you need is the feat reset, really. Note that the higher tiers of each power is simply a tiny amount of extra base effect, so in general you don't need them if you're simply testing. Thus, you can just spend AD to reset your feats between your tests, and not need to spend money unless you really need to respec powers.
  • Options
    kilo418kilo418 Member Posts: 823 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    marzattakz wrote: »

All of you saying "herpderp" to a cheaper and more accessible respec are either Closed Beta Elitists, Cookie Cutter Followers or simply mentally challenged. We have enough cash grabs in game, why make something so fundamental yet another? It makes PWE look bad in my books.

You don't have to spend a dime. You can reroll your character into a new spec absolutely FREE!!!! There is a free option to try every spec you want. You don't want to take the time? Then pay up for the convenience of repeccing
  • Options
    stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    daschla wrote: »
    I cannot believe the amount of spiteful and mean people in this game, or on the forums. Why do people have to be so negative and treat others so badly?

Growing up, being a part of a D&D group was something that not many people knew you were into, and when you were around fellow players, there was respect and good natured ribbing, not this trashing and 'lolumad' stuff..

I think some of you need to step back, breathe and remember...You will get out of life, what you give.

Yeah both sides get way too worked up over this, if one of my friends actually has that hard of a time buying a respec token I will gladly buy one for them, but if a video game gets you this worked up you really should step back, not every game has a a Business model you like, I dislike WoW's model, you don't see me on their forums demanding change, I gave my feedback to Blizzard (not on the forums). and moved on.

Couple frinds and I were talking about just how much the D&D and gaming culture in general culture has changed since the late 70's and it hasn't been for the better.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • Options
    lageralelagerale Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The problem I have with playing for a respec is when they change how a skill functions. If they buff/nerf a skill you should have the option to respec as it no longer functions as it did when you picked it. Other then that I the pay to respec falls in line with the pay for everything else you want game. This is why I'm not huge on the "free to play" games and would rather simply have a $15 per month fee and get it over with but that's just me.
  • Options
    calaminthacalamintha Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    arnathos wrote: »
    If you play PnP how much would a respec cost you? The answer is nothing because it is not an option in DnD PnP

You can change powers and feats every time you gain a level.
  • Options
    silvergryphsilvergryph Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    People who think you need to respec to go between playing PvP and PvE should probably actually try playing Neverwinter because they apparently haven't.

You have 7 slotted powers (8 if you are a CW) and 2 slotted class features. You get more than enough power points to know enough powers and class abilities to swap out for multiple builds. For free.
  • Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,440 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    sporadicus wrote: »
    In tabletop D&D, respeccing is a matter between the DM and the players. If the player feels his character just isn't working like he planned (and this isn't because a power gamer isn't powerful enough), he can sit down and talk with the DM about changing his character up.

Hmm, never seen that happen in any PnP RPG I played. People tended to retire characters if they didn't like them, and make new ones.

----
    $ for respec doesn't surprise or bother me. I've seen it in enough other games that it doesn't seem strange, and I've personally never been really big on min/max/respec (I think in 3-4 expansions of WoW, other than when the game forced it on me, I respecced my 150+ day hunter less than half a dozen times. If I hadn't been able to because it cost $? Would have just kept playing it as it was - if I wanted something different, I'd have leveled a new character.... I think I actually did make three hunters eventually.)

...thinking back, the whole "just shift your talents around at will" thing in Diablo 3 was one of the things I disliked about it. It entirely removed the desire to level new alts to try different builds. Which was one of the things I enjoyed in D2. Research a cookie-cutter build? No thanks, why would you want to do that?
  • Options
    stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    lagerale wrote: »
    The problem I have with playing for a respec is when they change how a skill functions. If they buff/nerf a skill you should have the option to respec as it no longer functions as it did when you picked it. Other then that I the pay to respec falls in line with the pay for everything else you want game. This is why I'm not huge on the "free to play" games and would rather simply have a $15 per month fee and get it over with but that's just me.

Usually when that happens skill points are returned to the character and the respec will be free.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • Options
    glanniganglannigan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 463 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I would sell 3 Re-spec for $20.00
  • Options
    bobzebrickbobzebrick Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    arnathos wrote: »
    too many players do not learn to play their classes being they are constantly respecing to test things instead of reading up/trying their class.

That right there is a paradox.
  • Options
    valtrayvaltray Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    against it 100%
  • Options
    pinchyskriipinchyskrii Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It's just another feature designed to force that first payment.

You can't even try the hardest content without it due to the broken levelling.
  • Options
    jazzneojazzneo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1
    edited May 2013
    im guess no one play f2p games here list of games that pay respec and doing fine

mabinogi
    vindictus,
    dragon nest
    champions online
    rustys hearts
    raiderz
    and there more
  • Options
    direcrowdirecrow Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    callmedeux wrote: »
    Lol @ QQ crycry carebear broke babies who obviously need a job.

Cannot afford six bucks? You have bigger issues in life, clearly if you cant afford to spend 10 here and there maybe you should GASP, level up skill in your real life, get a job, and do something productive.

Sheesh the number of dungeon dwellers that never leave mommys basement is ridiculous. Go get a job. The end.

or LEARN 2 PLAY. The choice is yours. Funny how I won't be needing a respec, oops, then again I have a brain and know how to build a character.

Wow, I've never seen anyone hit so many 'obnoxious gamer-kid' stereotype points so quickly in succession before.

Lets run down the list of fallacies shall we:

1. Implying that only one respec will ever be needed.
    2. People who refuse to pay for something that should be free, are poor.
    3. Having a job automatically means one doesn't need to care about what they spend their money one, because if its in your pocket, who needs discretion?
    4. If you do find a price unacceptable, you don't have the money. Because discretionary spending is for suckers. Get a job. If you have a job, simply go down to the free job store, and get a higher paying job! So you can be less poor and won't be bothered by anything.
    5. Not spending money on any old thing despite what common sense or savvy would tell you, means you are poor!
    6. Doing something productive includes not making fanboys angry by criticising a game they like. Productive activities include insulting anyone with poorly thought out tantrums about poor people.
    7. Living in your parents' basement affords you no spare money, despite the fact that paying your own mortgage or rent, children, food, gas, etc. would leave you with far less frivolous spending to toss away on rearranging a few points on a character in a video game, than living in a basement.
    8. "A job" is a magical money tree.
    9. Those that can not foresee major game changes, or mistakes dozens of moves in advance, don't know how to "play".
    10. knowing how to build your character implies that there is one way to do so, you magically figured it out, and thus there will never be a need to change it, but if there is, you have a job so anything is doable.

You know what your posts tells me?

It tells me you're young. Probably 17-25. You probably live a ****ty apartment (if not the basement you accuse everyone else of living in), you drive a **** car, and you work for minimum wage. Being that you have a job but little to spend it on, and little common sense, you can freely dump it on <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>.

Having a job and working for your money, should give you some appreciation for it.
    Mindflayer Shard - @direcrow
    The Dire Crow - Tiefling TR
    Alice L'ddell - Human GF
    Ludovique - Tiefling DC
  • Options
    stereoblindxstereoblindx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 246 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    jazzneo wrote: »
    im guess no one play f2p games here list of games that pay respec and doing fine

mabinogi
    vindictus,
    dragon nest
    champions online
    rustys hearts
    raiderz
    and there more

aren't half of those PWE/Cryptic games?
  • Options
    glanniganglannigan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 463 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    stratxzz wrote: »
    I paid $60 for the Founder pack and its goodies.

That's like 3 hours in the Arcade in 1985....You got what? 40 Hours out of this game so far?
  • Options
    lakrullakrul Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So you believe that knowledge comes as a result of less information? Weird.

How on Earth can someone "learn to play their classes" without actually using half of the skills or experiencing these skills in combination with others?

How will you know what is most effective or even just what suits your playstyle without experimentation?
  • Options
    xervaixervai Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Feats respec with Astral Diamonds. Only powers+feats are respecced with money. At level 60, you can get most of your powers to rank 3, or all of them to rank 1/2. Seems to be really easily to choose which ones you want to go for and which ones that don't blow up your skirt.

I found myself respeccing my feats 3/4 times to really test different aspects of the powers I picked. Really isn't an unfair concept. More misconception whining.
  • Options
    terradraconisterradraconis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    lhyeuze wrote: »
    and what if the build I paid 6$ is not good? I have to repay 6$ to switch back...

Lots of idiot around here

Your not paying $6 for a good build. You are paying $6 for a chance to screw your character up in new and exciting ways.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    bobzebrickbobzebrick Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    aren't half of those PWE/Cryptic games?

Pretty much yeah they are almost the only company willing to milk people like this. Shame too because this game is slightly better than the average <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> they push out.
This discussion has been closed.