test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Paying cash To Respec - Everyone post your thoughts.

Comments

• Options
    terradraconisterradraconis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    direcrow wrote: »
    Which would be a great argument, if over the course of an average play session you got anything that actually sells in the AH.

Everything I have put up in the auction house has sold. Generally within 5 - 10 minutes.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    mattzbymattzby Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    glannigan wrote: »
    So...just so I understand...if you played WoW for say 5 years, basically half the time WoW has been out you paid a MINIMUM of $1,050.00 - Minimum!

And you are offended about a $6.00 Respec? You paid them $15.00 a month and didn't think twice about shelling out $39.99-$49.99 for Expansion packs on top of the $15.00 a month? You are twisted about a micro transaction for a Respec? Now you have control to pay for exactly what you want.....and it offends you?

Before WoW had the dual spec system, I respec'd tons of times (sometimes 3-5 times a day) switching between PvP and PvE as a warrior. It was truly a pain and I was angry that I had to pay so much in game currency, but if I did that with that game I could spend thousands in months, not years. Now, I'm playing a Guardian and there's clearly certain skills that excel primarily in PvP and some in PvE. I have to decide if I want to be awesome at PvE and stink in PvP or vice versa or mediocre at both....But, I can shell out $6 everytime I want to maximize my classes potential at either. At the very least they should let us have two specs to switch between... Hell, switching between the specs could cost a bit of gold, since it really has no other use as of now.
  • Options
    trollsparrowtrollsparrow Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 45
    edited May 2013
    Very simple, go back to WoW.
  • Options
    mutharexmutharex Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Two things you can't do without respec.

Dickriding this bad design choice won't stop players leaving though.

Only Die hards and the Whales left soon. Shame you can't buy the creation of interesting foundry content.

Sure, sure. I hope you are right, seeing as you freeloaders don't contribute at all and just saturate servers. Though I doubt the number of idiots is so high, I fear the game will be fine even without you. Bye bye!
  • Options
    direcrowdirecrow Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I don't live in a crappy apartment. I don't drive a Bentley, but I also don't drive adam sandler's car either... just your average sports suv. I'm divorced, with no kids, so I have plenty of money to spend it on whatever I want. And I'm old enough to have a kid 17-25.

I may have worded things differently than the guy you quoted, but I agree with the gist of what he posted.

I don't think there should be respecs at all, but they've created a F2P game, which as we all know, means it's possible to play for free, but it's not meant to.

They need a way to get a few bucks from everyone now and again, and this is one way to do it.

If you want to pay your one time fee and play an MMO for free forever, don't respec. It's not gonna make that much of a difference.

I also imagine they'll do what every other game does when making extreme class changes and give out free respecs when they deem it necessary.

Age does not necessarily being wisdom. and having tons of spare change, isn't the issue. Not caring how you spend, it is.
    This isn't just a money issue, its a principles issue as well.

His point, was that any and all pricing as acceptable as long as you have a job, and the money in your pocket. Even when said item is generally free in any game outside of Asian mmorpgs.

and you're a fool if you think free respecs are coming when they make changes. If they have the audacity to make people who spent $200 pay for ANYTHING else, you can bet they won't be throwing away good profits, later on.

Charging for repecs creates an oppressive, demoralizing atmosphere, in which people either look up a build, or second guess what they put points into. Where the poor explanation and tooltips for abilities, and very little education on point spending, leads to major mistakes. To charge to fix them, is disgusting.
    It destroys any sense of experimentation. Its joyless, and money grubbing.

PWE has plenty of means to make money. Their founders packs offered absolutely nothing but virtual goods with very little cost.

After that, you have to be some kind of greedy to nickle and dime over respecs in an mmorpg.
    Mindflayer Shard - @direcrow
    The Dire Crow - Tiefling TR
    Alice L'ddell - Human GF
    Ludovique - Tiefling DC
  • Options
    zalintozalinto Member Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    bobzebrick wrote: »
    To be fair for the $15 a month you get access to sea of features far outstripping anything available here. Also you are on an even playing field with everyone and at no point are you restricted in any way.

Comparing this game to WoW is suicide. You would have to spend 1000s of dollars and still you would not have the same opportunities in a month that WoW gives you for $15. Yet to mention the terrible PvP and character customization none of which WoW share.

I think his point is, that wow isn't 15 dollars. *gets out calculator* 900 dollars in subscription fees alone over 5 years. O_O wow.. *redoes it with calculator* and the game costs and expansions. He is right, kinda expensive xD
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    allumo619allumo619 Member Posts: 70 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    personaly i think respec should be available to purchase with gold and not with zen but entire game seems to be made all around the cash shop. its possible to get stuff from there quick and without spending a dime if you patient enough but games built around a cash shop always get to the same place, an epic fail of another game.
  • Options
    glanniganglannigan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 463 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    bobzebrick wrote: »
    To be fair for the $15 a month you get access to sea of features far outstripping anything available here. Also you are on an even playing field with everyone and at no point are you restricted in any way.

Comparing this game to WoW is suicide. You would have to spend 1000s of dollars and still you would not have the same opportunities in a month that WoW gives you for $15. Yet to mention the terrible PvP and character customization none of which WoW share.

I tapped out on Old WoW at level 45 so correct me if I am wrong. Even with the $15.00 a month did they not require an ADDITIONAL Micro Transaction/Fee for Switching Servers? Sex Changes? Name Changes? Race Changes? Did they not sell stuff like Mounts for additional money?
  • Options
    mutharexmutharex Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    zalinto wrote: »
    ReRoll! ahahhahahahah

What we gonna do when all the whiners stop whining? Work is going to be very dull..
  • Options
    peterfspeterfs Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    scrybatog wrote: »
    No raids, this game has no "meta" its a casual game through and through. Might as well squeeze everything you can out of the fools that are already invested in this cash grab.

if only people knew how true this was, PWE is just behind EA in terms of greed and the ability to ruin games.

Build a game, milk it, move one. This one could've been huge!
  • Options
    kilo418kilo418 Member Posts: 823 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    mattzby wrote: »
    Before WoW had the dual spec system, I respec'd tons of times (sometimes 3-5 times a day) switching between PvP and PvE as a warrior. It was truly a pain and I was angry that I had to pay so much in game currency, but if I did that with that game I could spend thousands in months, not years. Now, I'm playing a Guardian and there's clearly certain skills that excel primarily in PvP and some in PvE. I have to decide if I want to be awesome at PvE and stink in PvP or vice versa or mediocre at both....But, I can shell out $6 everytime I want to maximize my classes potential at either. At the very least they should let us have two specs to switch between... Hell, switching between the specs could cost a bit of gold, since it really has no other use as of now.

Or you can roll a different character for PVP. You can do that absolutely FREE!!!!!
  • Options
    direcrowdirecrow Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    mutharex wrote: »
    Sure, sure. I hope you are right, seeing as you freeloaders don't contribute at all and just saturate servers. Though I doubt the number of idiots is so high, I fear the game will be fine even without you. Bye bye!

You need to stop playing free games, if you feel the need to insult people who play them for what they are. If you are concerned with free loaders, by all means, go play a sub based game (not that there are many left. Wildstar is coming though). But don't expect everyone to play a game marketed and billed as a free to play game, and pay money.
    Alice L'ddell - Human GF
    Ludovique - Tiefling DC
  • Options
    stratxzzstratxzz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 56
    edited May 2013
    Yes I have 2 level 60s.
    Strat@stratxzz on the Dragon Shard

Strat - Great Weapon Fighter - Level 60 ( Retired for now )
    Strattwo - Control Wizard - Level 60
    Stratx - Devoted Cleric - Level 60
    Stratt - Trickster Rogue - Level 18

http://theeoi.com - Visit for more information on our gaming community.
  • Options
    ratrailratrail Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 130 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    So...just so I understand...if you played WoW for say 5 years, basically half the time WoW has been out you paid a MINIMUM of $1,050.00 - Minimum!

And you are offended about a $6.00 Respec? You paid them $15.00 a month and didn't think twice about shelling out $39.99-$49.99 for Expansion packs on top of the $15.00 a month? You are twisted about a micro transaction for a Respec? Now you have control to pay for exactly what you want.....and it offends you?

Best post I've seen on these forums in a long time. In a subscription-based system and economy (which pretty much owns almost every market in the U.S. at least), playing a flat-rate fee for "everything" has become the norm, and consumers have become used to not having the option to make wise choices with their money, spawning a market full of mostly ignorant consumers. (The best example of this is healthcare insurance, where most insured people have little idea how much a test or procedure costs because they just pay their insurance premium and copay without ever caring about what things actually cost. But, that's neither here nor there.)

I personally love having the option to make informed decisions about exactly what I want my money to go to instead of paying $60 for a game/expansion and then $180 a year for a subscription. An informed consumer can take that $240 and likely use it to get more than they would have gotten out of a game in the subscription model, especially if they are of the more casual variety of player (which seems to be the target audience of games like this). However, those that have no self-control, no ability to manage their money, and lack the savviness to make informed decisions will likely hate this system because it requires more thinking and/or will cost them more money in the long run than a sub-based model.
  • Options
    robertthebardrobertthebard Member Posts: 543 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have yet to play a game that offers respecs that doesn't charge for them. So what's different here? If somebody comes in with WoW, I wouldn't know, never played it; their community migrating from forum to forum in games I have played was enough to convince me I didn't want to hang with them on a semi-daily basis.
    Reading comprehension is essential in a medium that requires reading for communication.
  • Options
    bobzebrickbobzebrick Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I tapped out on Old WoW at level 45 so correct me if I am wrong. Even with the $15.00 a month did they not require an ADDITIONAL Micro Transaction/Fee for Switching Servers? Sex Changes? Name Changes? Race Changes? Did they not sell stuff like Mounts for additional money?

They sold server / race / gender / name changes yes and occasionally they would put out a $30 mount you could buy or gift but with the 100s of vanity mounts obtainable in game, a lot of which looked better there was no reason to buy it if you didn't want to support Blizz (I never did), also you had full access to character customisation hair ect in game for free. Server changes and name changes etc are not exactly in game mechanics I'm being charged for they are completely unneeded unless you happen to want to join people on another server.
  • Options
    calaminthacalamintha Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    zalinto wrote: »
    I think his point is, that wow isn't 15 dollars. *gets out calculator* 900 dollars in subscription fees alone over 5 years. O_O wow.. *redoes it with calculator* and the game costs and expansions. He is right, kinda expensive xD

Still a lot less than what you would have spent to get something similar in NW. 10 (11 with Pandaria) character slots per server (up to 50?), as many mounts as you can get/afford with in-game currency, as many respecs as you can afford with in-game currency, etc. Whoa! I doubt even 9000 dollars would be enough.
  • Options
    stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You need to stop playing free games, if you feel the need to insult people who play them for what they are. If you are concerned with free loaders, by all means, go play a sub based game (not that there are many left. Wildstar is coming though). But don't expect everyone to play a game marketed and billed as a free to play game, and pay money.

Direcrow and I disagree on a lot but he is 100% right, this whole freeloader nonsense needs to stop, it's just as bad as being called an elitist because you choose to spend money. I am glad that you can play this game for free, as I have friends I would not be able to play with otherwise. We can disagree on the cash shop but we are all gamers and/or D&D players, and more peopel playing no matter if the choose to support the cash shop or not is a good thing.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • Options
    edited May 2013

I play subs games, hell I even maintain a sub in TSW though that's freemium now. I don't insult people if they aren't insulting: anyone plays this game like they want, either paying or not paying. I don't give a F. But all this name calling of people who spend money or don't see nothing weird with an economical model that requires you to shell out money for CONVENIENCES, is getting tiring.
    You don't wanna pay nothing, OK. You want to call idiots all the people who choose to spend THEIR money, well **** off.

Note, this isn't directed to you, I can't even remember what you said, it's for all the kids and beggars that have flooded the forum
  • Options
    druga1757druga1757 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 76
    edited May 2013
    If they patch/buff/nerf class abilities, then it's gouging to charge for respecs. They need to offer free respects at least for that.

For those disparaging WoW, yes, $15/month is more than playing for free with a cash shop. However, this issue isn't how much $ total, it's VALUE. 10 million players see WoW as worth the $15/month, there's value there for them. However, $6 respecs isn't a value for some.

I'm not saying one is right over another. But 10 million subscribers? WoW has got to be doing something right, I don't see Neverwinter ever getting that many players despite being a free to play game.
  • Options
    isopointisopoint Member Posts: 193 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013

That's not what you call micro transactions. They didn't have a server transfer service before. They added it only after player requests and they themselves offered to pay for this service to be available. Everything else is absolutely optional.

Yes they started to sell mounts, but it's different from this game for instance. You can't get epic speed until level 60 in WoW even if you bought the store mount that is capable of it. In this game you can ride at epic right from level 20 which means buying the mount gives an advantage. Also all the basic mounts are more then affordable in-game in WoW unlike this game. Mounts are also $20 and not freaking $40.

On to the topic though is that respeccing doesn't cost a dime of real money as the in-game gold respec fee is trivial and the game comes baseline with 50 character slots.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Direcrow and I disagree on a lot but he is 100% right, this whole freeloader nonsense needs to stop, it's just as bad as being called an elitist because you choose to spend money. I am glad that you can play this game for free, as I have friends I would not be able to play with otherwise. We can disagree on the cash shop but we are all gamers and/or D&D players, and more peopel playing no matter if the choose to support the cash shop or not is a good thing.

I can agree to this. I can afford the cash shop for the most part. But my friends can't. It sucks living in this <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> economy. But the last thing this game needs, is for people to make others feel guilty for playing a free game for free.
    Alice L'ddell - Human GF
    Ludovique - Tiefling DC
  • Options
    knoteskadknoteskad Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    They did it much better in Champions Online tbh, I'd prefer some alternatives.

Respecs there are even more expensive, but atleast you have the testing area to test EVERYTHING out extensively before you're committed to it, so you can see what's good and what's not, or what's broken and what isn't. Simple as that, this game needs that.

Also, you could just use the basic currency (gold sorta) to slowly respec although it was pricey, it was doable, same should happen here.

Alternatives :

1) Let us spend daily coins on respecs.

2) Let us sink a large amount of gold for respecs (gives it more value and could still take awhile to farm for)

3) Give a quest/dungeon/mission that is hard or takes a while to gain respecs (like COH)

$) Otherise, plop down your zen/diamonds for an instant respec for convenience.

SIMPLE

Oh, and yeah I think there should've been a free respec at 60, mainly because there's no other way to test abilities, I spread my points all over the place mainly because I had to see what everything did and see what was worth it or not, you shouldn't punish people for that.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I can agree to this. I can afford the cash shop for the most part. But my friends can't. It sucks living in this <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> economy. But the last thing this game needs, is for people to make others feel guilty for playing a free game for free.

No one is doing that but I can see a lot of posts doing the opposite, treating people who paid for stuff like idiots, 'whales' or any other insult they can think about. As I said, I don't care if people pay or not pay, I do care when people insult me
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I play subs games, hell I even maintain a sub in TSW though that's freemium now. I don't insult people if they aren't insulting: anyone plays this game like they want, either paying or not paying. I don't give a F. But all this name calling of people who spend money or don't see nothing weird with an economical model that requires you to shell out money for CONVENIENCES, is getting tiring.
    You don't wanna pay nothing, OK. You want to call idiots all the people who choose to spend THEIR money, well **** off.

Note, this isn't directed to you, I can't even remember what you said, it's for all the kids and beggars that have flooded the forum

Yeah but there is a difference between begging and refusing to spend any money at all, and recognizing a money grab like the respec charging. Or the horrible prices for mounts and costumes. (30 for a dress is insane). I'm willing to spend money for both, but not that much.
    Alice L'ddell - Human GF
    Ludovique - Tiefling DC
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    No one is doing that but I can see a lot of posts doing the opposite, treating people who paid for stuff like idiots, 'whales' or any other insult they can think about. As I said, I don't care if people pay or not pay, I do care when people insult me

Ok I can accept and agree with that.
    Alice L'ddell - Human GF
    Ludovique - Tiefling DC
  • Options
    pandergospandergos Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 37
    edited May 2013

I'm not sure how you got a value of $1.050.00 "Minimum", 15x12;$180x5= $900

Secondly, everything in WoW is free for that $15 a month. You can respec as many times as you like until you're happy with your character. Sure, people can make the fight that this is a D&D game and you couldn't respec in Pen 'n Paper D&D but this is not Pen 'n Paper D&D this is an Action/MMORPG set in forgotten realms world. In the end, the only thing about D&D and this game is the lore, period.

This when it comes down so it, is a money grab nothing more nothing less. $6 for a respec is outright bull**** and Perfect Worlds should be ashamed of themselves for making such a huge cash grab to begin with. Being able to change your skills on the fly (Or at least for in game gold) is the basics of ANY MMORPG no question about that. People like to Min/Max at their best and that cannot be done in this game without shelling out hard earned cash. It's an outrageous statement PWE is trying to make and I can promise you, people are not happy.
  • Options
    erebus2075erebus2075 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    i hate it.

its soooo bad becouse resetting is an CORE mechanic of the game. this is like taking money for the use of skill slots.

"ow pay 5$ to unlock 1 skill slot, you start with 1 slot usable and need to pay 5$ for each slot 9 in a row, meaning pay 50$ or you can't use your full skill slot potential"

its an extremely bad setup in my oppinion and i see them starting to do this in ftp games, what it does is make the games a ton of money in the first row of players which NEEDS this, then you will see players completely avoid ftp games becouse its anything then free, actually ALOT more expensive then ptp, and hten the games population will die thereby killing the game.

i will be avoiding games that does this from here on out, simply becouse it gets rediculess expensive when you are a type of player that likes to experiment with odd builds or do min/max setups....

i really didnt think this would be a thing in neverwinter but now i already invested alot and yer, gonna stay at least till archage comes along ^^
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Yeah but there is a difference between begging and refusing to spend any money at all, and recognizing a money grab like the respec charging. Or the horrible prices for mounts and costumes. (30 for a dress is insane). I'm willing to spend money for both, but not that much.

As I said, you are free of doing whatever you like with your money. Fill the forum with as many posts like this. Just stay clear of the insults to people who don't think this is a robbery
  • Options
    ratrailratrail Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 130 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I'd be in favor of one free respec per character via a non-repeatable quest at level 60. I think that players who have stuck with the game long enough to reach max level (at least the ones that did it legitimately) deserve a token and a chance to try out other builds. On the flip side, exposing people to a free token would likely encourage people to want to buy more respec tokens in the future, so I think it'd be a wise business choice as well.
This discussion has been closed.