test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Paying cash To Respec - Everyone post your thoughts.

stratxzzstratxzz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 56
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
On Dragon, if you want to respec without actually paying cash you have to buy Zen with Astral Diamonds

600 Zen = 240,000 AD @ 400 AD per.

Right now, getting this much AD wouldn't be that difficult using the AH and selling items you get from Epic. ( Refining 24,000 a day is pointless )

---

I paid $60 for the Founder pack and its goodies. I am not sure if this is why I got a free respec on my first 60 ( A GWF ) And I was happy with that.

I just finished leveling a Control Wizard and I do not have a free respec.

Respecing is a core element of any RPG/MMO. Having to wait 10 Days through refining Astral Diamonds is the MOST ABSURD THING I HAVE EVER SEEN.

Please make noise about this. Loud Noise.
Strat@stratxzz on the Dragon Shard

Strat - Great Weapon Fighter - Level 60 ( Retired for now )
Strattwo - Control Wizard - Level 60
Stratx - Devoted Cleric - Level 60
Stratt - Trickster Rogue - Level 18

http://theeoi.com - Visit for more information on our gaming community.
Post edited by stratxzz on

Comments

• Options
    l1d3nl1d3n Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 385 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Heros of the North deserve FREE respecs for life! *gets on flame armor*
  • Options
    terradraconisterradraconis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Given that respecing is a luxury it makes perfect sense to charge $$ for it.

There is no real reason to need to respect more than maybe once every 3 - 12 months. If your doing it more often then its just a convenience and play style. It really isn't a requirement to play.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    yasha00yasha00 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 479 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Like I've said before, i think having to pay $6 for a respec is outrageous and detrimental to building the game's meta.

Several people countered that you do not need to respec often in this game or that you should plan ahead, or that respeccing kills the spirit of D&D; but the more I play the more I see the need to respec, or wish I could experiment since you can build classes in various ways, and I still don't see how it would kill the spirit of D&D.
  • Options
    scrybatogscrybatog Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    No raids, this game has no "meta" its a casual game through and through. Might as well squeeze everything you can out of the fools that are already invested in this cash grab.
  • Options
    drakeos99drakeos99 Member Posts: 393 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    That a lie about heroes we dont get free respec for life at all same for $60 only once and after that we are screwed how about charging GOLD for respec instead of Zen that way it wont be P2Respec
    Drakeos Lightblade - Human - Oathbound Paladin (Protection) (MAIN)
    Drakeos Shadowbow - 60 Combat Pathfinder Hunter Ranger (Alt/retired)
    Falados - Drow (Mez) Level 60 Trickster Rogue - Offically retired
    Drakeos - Drow (Mez) Scourge Warlock/Druid (retired)
  • Options
    stratxzzstratxzz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 56
    edited May 2013
    Given that respecing is a luxury it makes perfect sense to charge $$ for it.

There is no real reason to need to respect more than maybe once every 3 - 12 months. If your doing it more often then its just a convenience and play style. It really isn't a requirement to play.

Respecing once you hit level 60 is a requirement of any game with character progression.

• Options
    cihuacoatlcihuacoatl Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    While I think it is a good idea for a F2P game to charge for respecs. I also think that as stated above it is also in the spirit of D&D you shouldn't at all. Though given the lack of information about skills, the mechanics, and bugs with skills (assuming they even work). I think $6 is a bit much. Honestly almost everything on the store is a little over priced. Perhaps if their were more items in the store the few high priced items might not seem so bad.
  • Options
    terradraconisterradraconis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    drakeos99 wrote: »
    That a lie about heroes we dont get free respec for life at all same for $60 only once and after that we are screwed how about charging GOLD for respec instead of Zen that way it wont be P2Respec

Given that you can't respec in D&D under normal circumstances and all..

Then there is the fact that in reality respecing is a luxury. You don't need to respec to play the game. You do need it if you like to change your build to the build of the week on a whim. So given that it isn't actually needed to play it makes perfect sense to charge those who can't live without respecing real money.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    mutharexmutharex Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You can get 40K AD by finding some 'idols', Rhixx will buy them for that amount. Usually found with skill checks or though Leadership
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    stratxzz wrote: »
    Respecing once you hit level 60 is a requirement of any game with character progression.

Good god it is not. That is the stupidest thing I've ever read in my life.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    bobzebrickbobzebrick Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Just a plain bad decision, they want money at the detriment of promoting varied play. They have to make money ofc but as soon as you start doing it at the detriment of your game it's GG for me.
  • Options
    syberghostsyberghost Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,474
    edited May 2013
    Stop grinding your way to 60 on exploits and you won't need to respec so much. I'd rather pay $6 once in a while for a respec than $15/month whether I need them or not.
  • Options
    stereoblindxstereoblindx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 246 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    At this point, with all the broken things in this game, I think it's insane that they're trying to charge anyone for anything. This game could've used a few more months of closed testing, introducing their ideas for cash shop prices during that process to see the reaction to the people trusted with having the game very early as opposed to just unleashing all the nonsense and calling it an "open beta."
  • Options
    cihuacoatlcihuacoatl Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013

This I totally agree with...and I think every player should get a free respec upon hitting level 60. ONE that is after that... time to pay.
  • Options
    mutharexmutharex Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

No, it's a requirement of skinner box style games, games that have horizontal character progression (or at least not tied into treadmill gear grind) don't require a spec for levelling and one for 'end-game' (whatever that is....)
  • Options
    kimmurieloblodrakimmurieloblodra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Fine witht it, As long as we get a free token when new paragon paths are released. If not, ****ty cash grab system
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Good god it is not. That is the stupidest thing I've ever read in my life.

Didn't play WoW much eh? otherwise you would be used to this level of stupidy
  • Options
    kilo418kilo418 Member Posts: 823 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'd say one respec per character for free would be fair. Other than that, it's a convenience item, as you have a free option. You can always reroll. It takes longer, but what's the rush? What's more, it absolutely free!!
  • Options
    gunmangunman Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 51
    edited May 2013
    The only reason I'd see a need for a skill re-spec is if you want to change from PvE to PvP or vice-versa, or something like Damage to healer for a cleric. Honestly though, you're better off having a character for each, wouldn't need to ever re-spec.

The feat re-spec (just in case you messed that one up, much more likely) costs a few AD, not amazing amounts.

Soooo...yeah.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    At this point, with all the broken things in this game, I think it's insane that they're trying to charge anyone for anything. This game could've used a few more months of closed testing, introducing their ideas for cash shop prices during that process to see the reaction to the people trusted with having the game very early as opposed to just unleashing all the nonsense and calling it an "open beta."

Every game out there goes through Open Beta... name one that has not. Just one... You cannot? Of course not...

Now mixing a soft release with the release of Open Beta might burn them in the end. Though obviously the folks in closed Beta didn't do their job very well. Some of the bugs that I am seeing are very obvious and cannot believe they went unreported. In 1 week I think I have reported at least 20 bugs... that is not even talking about the Foundry which it looks like a large abuse factory.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    People on this thread that think not having 1 respec @ 60 without paying... hahaha

I leveled through questing, doing every single quest available got me to 60.

Now if I want to PvP.., if I made one mistake with Feats or Powers I have to Pay money or level again. Stupid.

• Options
    mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    syberghost wrote: »
    Stop grinding your way to 60 on exploits and you won't need to respec so much. I'd rather pay $6 once in a while for a respec than $15/month whether I need them or not.

"$6 respecs are okay because it only affects those that exploit." has to be one of the worst arguments I have ever heard.

In fact exploiters are the ones who WONT have to repec as they don't have to fight their way through the game for the first 59 levels with one set of skills then change at cap..
  • Options
    pooslapperpooslapper Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Respecing is a core element of any RPG/MMO. Having to wait 10 Days through refining Astral Diamonds is the MOST ABSURD THING I HAVE EVER SEEN.

Gotta agree with this. As a former professional DM I value the spirit of D&D as much as anyone, but honestly this is an action RPG/MMO set in the Forgotten Realms. The actual gameplay mechanics have very little to do with D&D, so those arguments hold little merit.

In an MMO with multiple ways to build your character, experimentation is a big part of the experience. I'm not saying respecing should be free, it should require some time investment from the player. Charging money (grinding AD to trade for Zen would take so long, you might as well work full time at PWE for third world salary) for it, however, is an insult to your costumer base and incredibly short sighted.

I really wish the community would unite around this issue to make it clear that this will only hurt the longevity of an otherwise great game.
  • Options
    bobzebrickbobzebrick Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    cihuacoatl wrote: »
    Every game out there goes through Open Beta... name one that has not. Just one... You cannot? Of course not...

Now mixing a soft release with the release of Open Beta might burn them in the end. Though obviously the folks in closed Beta didn't do their job very well. Some of the bugs that I am seeing are very obvious and cannot believe they went unreported. In 1 week I think I have reported at least 20 bugs... that is not even talking about the Foundry which it looks like a large abuse factory.

As far as I'm concerned if you release it with a fully functional cash shop it isn't beta. Last time I checked you don't pay anything to beta test a companies game. You are helping them... but then again this is exactly what is going wrong with the industry right now. Beta isn't beta anymore, it's just another way to rush a release and cover your tracks.
  • Options
    stereoblindxstereoblindx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 246 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    cihuacoatl wrote: »

..I'm aware. I just don't think they should be selling people anything until it's labeled as a finished product because this game is nowhere near finished and doesn't deserve any more money thrown at it till it's in a much better shape than it is now.
  • Options
    ezbeeezbee Member Posts: 40
    edited May 2013
    id appreciate 1 free respec per character at 60 but when leveling i dont see any need for it so far, the skills and stuff get mostly filled.

also the price is a bit high, i think reduce it down to $4 to be a bit fairer, but its their store so they can charge what they want.
  • Options
    stonedbillstonedbill Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    kilo418 wrote: »
    I'd say one respec per character for free would be fair. Other than that, it's a convenience item, as you have a free option. You can always reroll. It takes longer, but what's the rush? What's more, it absolutely free!!

I agree with this. As a new game everyone is trying out, you dont always have the best build leveling up for the first time.
    1ovlbg9.png

Smoke@stonedbill - Mindflayer - 60 Rogue
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    kilo418 wrote: »

This is great.

• Options
    syberghostsyberghost Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,474
    edited May 2013
    mconosrep wrote: »
    "$6 respecs are okay because it only affects those that exploit." has to be one of the worst arguments I have ever heard.

In fact exploiters are the ones who WONT have to repec as they don't have to fight their way through the game for the first 59 levels with one set of skills then change at cap..

No, they're the ones who'll be shoving feat points in every few minutes, hitting 60 without learning to play their class, and then walking face first into their first Tier 1 and raging in zone chat that their class is broken.

And then they'll be buying multiple respecs trying to learn their class at 60. Unless they ragequit, which is fine, as they'd just have been ninja-needing on every gear drop in a desperate attempt to farm enough AD for a respec anyway. Nothing of value lost.
  • Options
    burns1124burns1124 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Given that you can't respec in D&D under normal circumstances and all..

Then there is the fact that in reality respecing is a luxury. You don't need to respec to play the game. You do need it if you like to change your build to the build of the week on a whim. So given that it isn't actually needed to play it makes perfect sense to charge those who can't live without respecing real money.

You don't need to hit more than LMB or RMB to kill monsters in this game either, but using additional buttons will make it faster. Your straw-man here being that, it's not required, with a smattering of "it's not DnD Ed.X approved". Let me clue you in on something, this game has nothing to do with DnD past the name, it's an ActionMMORPG that uses a known IP to pull fans of that IP to it. Just like SWTOR, LOTRO, WoW, and all the other theme-park MMORPGs on the market today. The business practices of the publishers of said companies, should be up for discussion, so please refrain from using the failed logic that respecs aren't "in the spirit of DnD".

Would you like to run epic dungeons with a AoE damage spec'd TR? A single target CW that uses no CC? A GF that doens't use taunts? These are all, really valid reasons to allow at least one free respec upon reaching max level, or if the Powers/Feats are adjusted significantly.

Many people who play RPG genre games, also like to "min-max" their characters to make the as specialized or powerful as they can be by utilizing specific ability/talent/passive combos that can only really be discovered thru trial and error. Many games have thrived based upon these systems, and while I do believe there should be a cost to deter rapid or habitual respec, a real money charge of 6 dollars, or it's corresponding AD value is too punishing, and will quickly push away some players that enjoy testing the limits of oddball specs.

Plus, we don't even have other possible paragon paths, that alone seems dubious given the cost of respecing. I really hope Cryptic/PW lower these costs, or give players an option in game to play for a respec token thru a tough solo only quest (this can be non-repeatable).
    syberghost wrote: »
    No, they're the ones who'll be shoving feat points in every few minutes, hitting 60 without learning to play their class, and then walking face first into their first Tier 1 and raging in zone chat that their class is broken.

And then they'll be buying multiple respecs trying to learn their class at 60. Unless they ragequit, which is fine, as they'd just have been ninja-needing on every gear drop in a desperate attempt to farm enough AD for a respec anyway. Nothing of value lost.

The butthurt is strong with this one.

You do realize that foundry "exploiters" (I love how the white knights here use that term like it's the spanish inquisition, you so funny) run a very powerful and pretty useful build, even for 60. People don't just rush willy nilly to end game and throw **** everywhere, they generally research, and plan before hand. That's kind of the point when you are rushing a toon to max level to do end game content, you know wtf you are doing already.
This discussion has been closed.