test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

D&D Feel

blergnurblergnur Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 10 Arc User
edited May 2013 in PvE Discussion
I have read a few times in a few of these threads people saying that the game doesn't "feel" like D&D.

I have had the exact opposite reaction over the Beta weekend so I figured I would ask and hope this doesn't cause a flame out or anything.

This is by far the most D&D feeling game that I have played online. Other than playing an actual sit down game of paper and pencil D&D this is the best D&D fix I've found. DDO didn't do it for me and I couldn't stand to play it for mostly mechanics and graphics reasons.

So I'm curious, those that say it doesn't feel like D&D can you... nicely... expand on that a bit?
Post edited by blergnur on

Comments

• Options
    lanessar13lanessar13 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    There really are three reasons I feel it falls short of DnD. And they all have to do with character individuality.

Statistic choices mean far less than gear choices. This happens in any game... at end game. Example: If I have a 18 CON fighter, and a 20 CON fighter, that makes the difference of about 40 HP. At level 10, I find a pair of boots with 230 HP bonus. That's equivalent to +11 CON. Now, with this, I don't care about the numbers. What I care about is that you making your character more strong, wise, charismatic, etc. has zero effect upon the game. We might as well start off with all "10's". This means no individuality with our choice.

Second, zero choice of powers at level-up, no choice of gear, everything is on rails. Part of the best fun of DnD was making a character that was odd, had an ability that few took, just to use it in ways that other people didn't think of. I jsut don't like being limited like that when in DnD, there are options, and devout cleric A at fifth level and devout cleric B at fifth level may play very differently depending upon power selection.

Third, every class can do what any other class can do skill wise. Pop a pill, detect traps. Sniff some dust, open religious items. Why even have skills in the game at all? Everyone is exactly the same, sans the trinity. And even then, most of those roles are hybridized to some degree.

As far as environment, general play, the sounds, the monsters you fight, all of that is DnD. So quite a bit of it is there already. Just seems to have fallen short on the character customization options (which, oddly enough, Cryptic usually does really well with).
  • Options
    mountain45mountain45 Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    What some people DONT understand DnD Can't translate prefectly into an MMO and I tried DDO the only thing for me making it feel DnD ish is the DM voice over... they hacked the lvls up into 4 more sub lvls

Im just saying ANYONE can find someone about anything.. to me it is a DnD / Neverwinter feel.. by being an MMO player I understand the reasoning for the path things go. if this was a co op game yes it would be closer to the real DnD but into an MMO things need to be modified.

as well Its BASED off of DnD and Neverwinter no one ever claimed it would be a true 100% conversion.

I will only agree if the Characte customization and the silly rerool thing
  • Options
    sirnamedsirnamed Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 102 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    In my view, many of the complaints seem to be criticising the fish for its ability to climb a tree. They have a vision of how D&D ought to be, informed by their experience of other titles (despite those titles being a different format of game, either SP digital campaign or pencil and paper campaigns.)

You'll find many of the dissenters who actually try the game may eventually stop judging it for what it is not and instead judge it fairly for what it is.

Some are bitter because they wanted NWN3. Some are bitter because they don't understand or like 4e. And a whole bunch of people just have impossible expectations, as they are unaware of the variables involved in balancing an MMO for high end PvE content and PvP. (How could a classic DnD rogue possibly work in PvP?).
    Art design is a hot topic. I used to hate any cartoon flavour, now I kind of appreciate it because it means the game takes longer to become dated graphically in the way it feels (consider WoW. Attempted realism ages faster as graphics technology advances).

Though I don't want to be read as though I am dismissing all grievances as belonging to the above categories. I'm preparing myself for disappointment, if I don't see more flexibility to classes introduced, with respect to 4e, even though I dislike it.. :)
  • Options
    ryger5ryger5 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    blergnur wrote: »
    I have read a few times in a few of these threads people saying that the game doesn't "feel" like D&D.

Just remember, that sadly the D&D community has a history of INCESSANT whining. Just read the old usenet newsgroups to see what I mean. I can also tell you back in the days of BBS, D&D fans just loved to <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> and whine.

The worst is when a new edition or major rule book is released.

I am not sure why this is, it seems some D&D fans really consider themselves more "expert" than others, or worse, actually feel they can design better games than the professionals.

Of course, some constructive criticism is useful, but sadly it often goes way beyond that.

You see similar chronic dissatisfaction here.

While I have no doubt this game will have flaws and will require some corrections as time goes by (as all MMOs do), there's no doubt in my mind they've captured the essence of D&D very nicely.

Indeed, with the Foundry, a key ingredient of D&D, (being able to tell a story, to craft plots, NPCs and gather friends to experience them with their characters) is now available. It's been available before in other flavors of Neverwinter, but I think this version is the most accessible.

So while I can't answer for those who claim this just isn't D&D, I'll tell you, that this kind of mewling, has been a significant part of D&D culture, since the days people griped about the Bard when the first edition AD&D player's handbook was released. I can remember, to this day, fat guys, chewing cheeseburgers at the gaming table, lecturing me about psionics and it was clear to him, that segment of the AD&D books was a clear path, D&D was doomed and that "Chivalry and Sorcery" would be the new standard within a year.

I don't separate myself from the culture either. I have deeply opinionated as well. I much prefer Pathfinder's system to what 4th Edition is. I am even more skeptical of "D&D Next" (or whatever Wizards is branding it), that will release next year. From what I understand it's a sort of "paint by numbers" rule system where you pick and choose rule constructs for your gaming table. Yuck.

But so what?

Show me 100 D&D fans and I'll show you 100 different opinions on whether the Tiefling should have been chosen over the Gnome, or how multi-classing should be be handled.

My point is, what "feels like D&D" is subjective and those who are adamant that this "isn't D&D" are talking out of the wrong <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>, again (as I am prone to do myself).

The bottom line is, this game is clearly branded as D&D, fully endorsed by the stewards of D&D and plays and functions much like you'd expect a D&D MMO to look and function. I can quibble about this or that in the game as well, but this is D&D, more than that, in many ways this is the future of D&D.

Personally, I can't wait to get started.
    BalarSig103B.jpg
    SHADOW - A secret cabal for those who thirst for wealth and power.
    Check out SHADOW on YouTube!
  • Options
    sirnamedsirnamed Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 102 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    ^
    Well stated.

I'm a massive fan of NWN. I played it for years, and enjoyed the sequel and all its expansions. I'm far more comfortable with 3e rules, or 3.5 such as in DDO. But even I have had to admit, 4e is far better suited to an MMO and I'm thoroughly impressed with the design choices for NW. Even in those areas that have disappointed me, I'm willing to compromise because I understand the reasons for it, or I'm hopeful of changes later in development. There is so much potential in this game. I'm confident that it will be realised, and that most dissenters will be won over when they eventually forgive NWO for not being NWN3... lol
  • Options
    firesnakeariesfiresnakearies Member Posts: 307 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I always love ryger5's posts on this subject.
  • Options
    ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I always love ryger5's posts on this subject.

/agreed.

Ryger5's wins the thread.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • Options
    elveelve Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 336
    edited February 2013
    I think this game being called a D&D game is both the best and the worst thing that could ever happen to it. The best because of the publicity and the worst because of the childish uncompromising whiny element of the community it brings. You are seeing a lot of people complain about this not feeling like D&D and not as much defending the game because the people that actually liked the game just played it, gave their feedback soon after the beta was over, reported a few bugs and have gotten on with their lives while the whiners stayed and continue to whine just up to this moment. Just look at the poll result of the "Custom Classes Or Suggested Builds?" thread. 50 for custom classes, 12 for the current system. That does not mean that about 70-80% of the community wants custom classes, it means that there are 50 people that didn't like the system and a lot more that liked it and never bothered to write about it because they didn't even think that anyone will have a problem with it because it is just fine.

I read almost all the posts in the topics dedicated to "this doesn't feel like D&D" and "the class system should be changed" and almost no one had any reasonable arguments why it doesn't feel like D&D or why the class system should be changed. The most common argument is "because I cannot customize my character in any way shape or form that I could possibly desire" which is a pretty weak one. I noticed that several guys even said that they cannot do a build with the current system that I already did in-game...

People should understand that tabletop RPGs and computer MMORPGs have in common as much as chess and fencing - as chess and fencing both represent the art of battle but do it in a very different way, tabletop games and MMORPGs represent roleplaying in really different ways and one could never be a viable substitute for the other for many different reasons.
  • Options
    lanessar13lanessar13 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Funny that he addressed the OP to the people who don't feel like it is DnD, and asked them why they felt that way, and yet all who answered (save one) actually feel it is.
  • Options
    elveelve Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 336
    edited February 2013
    lanessar13 wrote: »
    Funny that he addressed the OP to the people who don't feel like it is DnD, and asked them why they felt that way, and yet all who answered (save one) actually feel it is.

It is funny, isn't it? Maybe it is because the ones who claim it is not like D&D cannot really come up with decent arguments about their claims.
  • Options
    killingmeloudlykillingmeloudly Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    elve wrote: »
    It is funny, isn't it? Maybe it is because the ones who claim it is not like D&D cannot really come up with decent arguments about their claims.

This. I have been waiting on a thread listing reasons that don't boil down to basically "Because its not what I thought it would be or because its not what I want". I have yet to see it. Ryger5 definitely put it better than I ever could have.
  • Options
    vorsthescythevorsthescythe Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    ryger5 wrote: »
    I can remember, to this day, fat guys, chewing cheeseburgers at the gaming table, lecturing me about psionics

totally laughed out loud...
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    totally laughed out loud...

Ha, so did I! Such an evocative image, and really something I could totally relate to. What D&D player hasn't been there?
  • Options
    elthuzarelthuzar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 123 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    ironzerg79 wrote: »
    /agreed.

Ryger5's wins the thread.

Are you kidding? Ryger5's just won the internet.
  • Options
    pilf3rpilf3r Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    elthuzar wrote: »
    Are you kidding? Ryger5's just won the internet.

Haha and he won it by doing exactly what he accuses others of doing, how ironic!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Neverwinter Thieves Guild
  • Options
    notlobnai1974notlobnai1974 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    So what would we like to see? Off the top of my head.......in no particular order

1. Rolling for hit points when you level up + con bonus (not 4e....but was fun)
    2. Assigning points to professions at each level ie. dungeoneering ( no not dungeon earring auto correct)....ESP my favourite 'use magical device' (let my rogue pick up that wand of fireballs and blow this party to hell)
    3. Feat assignment

I'm sure there are tons more that would enhance the D&D feel / customisation
  • Options
    greatmaceogreatmaceo Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    My friend is a hardcore DDO player and he is not interested in this game because it doesn't have enough races or classes to start off with.
  • Options
    prootwaddleprootwaddle Member Posts: 226 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    blergnur wrote: »

By looking at videos, and reading through reports, Neverwinter Online seems to feel just like D&D4 and it could even be more exciting and playable than the actual pen and paper D&D4.

Superhero stories, done well, are about modern archetypes.

A Prootwaddle is one of the weirder player-character races in "The Fantasy Trip", Steve Jackson's first published role-playing game.
  • Options
    blergnurblergnur Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    First, let me thank you for giving some real points on your reasoning. I do have some counter points so I'll give them.
    I'm sure there are tons more that would enhance the D&D feel / customisation

I would argue that the three that you listed would add to customization, but the fact they are not there don't really take away from the "Feel" of it being D&D. The "Feel" of D&D comes from the lore and the fantasy which is very much present in the game.

The customizations are great on a paper and pencil game, however this is an MMO, it would be near impossible to create a balanced MMO that allows for that level of customization, and have it still be fun for the masses. The only reason it works in paper and pencil D&D is due to the fact that a DM is watching everything you do, and allowing or disallowing certain actions or events from happening, that level of monitoring is not practical with an MMO so they have to take certain steps to ensure the game is going to be enjoyable to the majority of players.

My initial thoughts on your three points:
    1. Rolling for hit points would rapidly lead to a game where if you wanted to compete/keep-up with your friends/guildies/whoever you would need to reroll a character if you were unlucky on your rolls to many times. You would become a liability in a party and not be able to overcome this with roleplaying.
    2. This is one of the things that makes paper and pencil D&D fun/annoying. Fun for the rogue that just did it, annoying to the wizard that didn't get the item and then was just blown up by a rogue in his party. Again it is something that a good DM can stay on top of in a group game but can become crazy to try and balance and would lead to a bunch of unhappy players getting magic nuked by rogues. This very thing actually happened to me in a paper and pencil game where a certain rogue liked to just keep all of the items they could get their hands on and learned how to use scrolls. This lead to some very unfriendly game play and was not a lot of fun.
    3. I like this one, and I think it is something they could put in over time. Just because the choice of feats isn't there now doesn't mean it never will be. As I said in my original post I am in favor of a bit more of this kind of customization, but not at the expense of getting the game out on time. I would rather see some bugs polished up rather than more feats added, for now.

tldr: I see your arguments as more why this doesn't feel like a paper and pencil game, rather than it not feeling like D&D.
  • Options
    xervaixervai Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    The only thing I can think of that tells me "Not DnD" is the fact that I cannot choose what to do. I've only played one BWE. Who's to say there isn't more choices. My motivation is to level up and get more loot and I'm in the same static world as everyone else. That's really the downfall of every MMO currently and even GW2 tried to solve that through event chains. If I saved a bunch of people from Orcs, they're still there the next time I passed through. Oh you orcs, you so crazy!

My character is silent and on rails. That's not really DnD, to have your mode of expression taken away from you. Cryptic is the DM however and if the DM says you cannot interact, then you cannot. I saw a few options around Diplomacy and Intimidate but they were grayed out. Had to try to talk to the Lord himself and a few other random NPCs to see those options.

That's about it though. If I wanted to tell my story, that's what the Foundry is for.
  • Options
    stauchstauch Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 38
    edited February 2013
    xervai wrote: »
    The only thing I can think of that tells me "Not DnD" is the fact that I cannot choose what to do. I've only played one BWE. Who's to say there isn't more choices. My motivation is to level up and get more loot and I'm in the same static world as everyone else. That's really the downfall of every MMO currently and even GW2 tried to solve that through event chains. If I saved a bunch of people from Orcs, they're still there the next time I passed through. Oh you orcs, you so crazy!
    I'd agree, it reduces immersion on a significant level when you see that your actions hasn't actually affected the game world. Blizzard managed to solve this in fairly good way with their fasing(sp?) technology though I'm not sure Cryptic has the resources to implement something like that.
    As for other choices (mainly character development I take it) the little I have seen so far is enough for me. The more static classes makes it easier to balance and avoids the <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> that freeform characters are in CO.
    My character is silent and on rails. That's not really DnD, to have your mode of expression taken away from you. Cryptic is the DM however and if the DM says you cannot interact, then you cannot. I saw a few options around Diplomacy and Intimidate but they were grayed out. Had to try to talk to the Lord himself and a few other random NPCs to see those options.
    Who's to say that you will never be able to do so, since it seems that there is a basic framework for already? This is beta, there will be pieces missing. Heck, there will most likely be pieces "missing" at launch, and no I'm not talking more classes or races here.
  • Options
    khavalikhavali Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    To directly compare this title, an mmo, to any tabletop version of D&D is almost ridiculous. Of course it won't "feel" exactly like traditional Dungeons & Dragons... because it's not! If I wanted that type of experience, I'd go play that way. As has been stated previously, you can't expect paper and pencil to translate to a pc title in every way you'd like it to... It is impractical. But I daresay that this game is doing a great job of making itself unmistakably D&D-driven. I applaud that effort, and I honestly feel that at least half the individuals whining and carrying on will still end up playing Neverwinter on a very regular basis... with copious complaints all the while of course.
  • Options
    xervaixervai Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    khavali wrote: »
    To directly compare this title, an mmo, to any tabletop version of D&D is almost ridiculous. Of course it won't "feel" exactly like traditional Dungeons & Dragons... because it's not! If I wanted that type of experience, I'd go play that way. As has been stated previously, you can't expect paper and pencil to translate to a pc title in every way you'd like it to... It is impractical. But I daresay that this game is doing a great job of making itself unmistakably D&D-driven. I applaud that effort, and I honestly feel that at least half the individuals whining and carrying on will still end up playing Neverwinter on a very regular basis... with copious complaints all the while of course.

Whole heartidly agree. The only way a DnD game could translate is if it was a pure sandbox with a DM affecting the gameplay live as things are happening. This game is definitely of the DnD license with a fun translation of skills with the potential to be a ton more.

Cryptic has worked there butts off on CO. If it had the combat style of NeverWinter, I'd be playing it a lot more. But its a halfway action game that still resembles the tab-target paradigm. Move it to full on action like this one and I'd be in love.

This is the game I've been wanting from Cryptic for a while and I'm glad it has a DnD license representing it.
  • Options
    gilbeggerbgilbeggerb Member Posts: 40
    edited February 2013
    lanessar13 wrote: »
    Pop a pill, detect traps. Sniff some dust, open religious items. Why even have skills in the game at all?

Is this really a thing?! I admit, I've basically been a fanboy up to this point, but the idea of just anybody being able to do something that, to my very limited knowledge (I don't know that much about D&D rule, let alone 4e, please correct me if I'm wrong), is a class specific skill is horrifying. Part of the fun of playing rogues, imo, is being able to provide the whole detect and disarm traps/pick locks service to the group. :(
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Credit for image to Shiaika. I just stole it!
  • Options
    bruddajokkabruddajokka Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 447 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    You know it might not be turned based but it sure as hell feels like 4th edition to me.
  • Options
    macabrivsmacabrivs Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 417 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    It might sound wierd what i will say but i think combat is similar to pnp D&D 4th edition.... In Dungeons ad Dragons pnp it was said in core books (3th edition if im not mistaken) that the action of a player is arround 6 sec's in "real time" and a round the same 6 sec's so i theory everyone in pnp is acting at the same time.

I think cryptic did an amazing work with the combat, shift powers, dodges, combat advantge, flanking, weakness, etc, etc....

The dungeons and quests rly have the old D&D feeeling, i havent play it yet but according to all the videos i saw its rly great

But now the down side...

I think cryptic forgot about the most important part of D&D which is making unique characters, i honestly think was a rly bad dicission to obligate people to follow a specific class build, guardian figther, control wizard, etc....

Also i hate to see how skills were implemented, it fells to me that they add skills to the game just to say it have skills, because for me it doesnt make any sense for a figther to disable a trap or a cleric to make a decent arcane check, sry but thats not D&D.

Dont get me wrong, till now i love the game but this game is just another MMO with D&D IP... damn, even DDO was smart enough to make a decent translation of pno rules to an MMO so dont say to me its not doable to pass D&D to an MMO. The only thing about DDO i didnt like much was the boring combat and the never ending repetitive content but they did a hell of a job to translate the rules from pnp to an MMO.
  • Options
    stauchstauch Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 38
    edited February 2013
    macabrivs wrote: »
    I think cryptic forgot about the most important part of D&D which is making unique characters, i honestly think was a rly bad dicission to obligate people to follow a specific class build, guardian figther, control wizard, etc....
    I think they did go this route to avoid the <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> that freeform characters are in CO.
  • Options
    kinsaedakinsaeda Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    There are consumables that let classes do the things they don't have the skill for, such as disabling traps or using a holy altar or something. I think it would be great if people needed certain classes but you know people would have a fit if they needed a certain class to access something.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Based on the most recent videos from the alpha client, they changed the skill items to only give a 65% chance of success, rather than automatically working. So that's something, at least.
  • Options
    gilbeggerbgilbeggerb Member Posts: 40
    edited February 2013
    I was hoping they'd just make an alternate route that doesn't require lockpicking or whatever... Maybe make it take a bit longer?
    Oh course, I suppose that would take a while to do.
    Oh well. I won't let this ruin the game for me(I'll be playing in a group most of the time anyways). It'll still be fun!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Credit for image to Shiaika. I just stole it!