test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Classes

streethawkestreethawke Member Posts: 705 Arc User
edited March 2013 in PvE Discussion
Have they announced what all the classes will be, or if there will be prestige classes?
b_ro.png
When you want to break the mold

BETA Tips and Tricks
Never saw Pants in beta?
Post edited by streethawke on

Comments

• Options
    aznlaznaznlazn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 44
    edited February 2013
    Hey there,
    1. We will launch with 5 classes. The Guardian Fighter, Great Weapon Fighter, Trickster Rogue, Devoted Cleric and Control Wizard.
    2. The Tab button is assigned to your class specific mechanic. This differs per class, but think Stealth for the Trickster Rogue and Unstoppable for the Great Weapon Fighter.
    3. We will launch with the Control Wizard. Other types of Wizards could be something we explore in the future, but for now we thought it more important to fill all of the combat roles and get a controller in there.
    4. There's lots in the works :) But, for launch there are only spellcasting ranged classes. That being said, the Trickster Rogue can specialize in several medium ranged attacks that allow him to play back a bit and deal damage at range.

Thanks for the questions :) Hope to see you in game!

I believe that should answer your question! :)

FOR ANYONE NEW TO THE THREAD:
    Some new information from MMORPG states we will only get THREE classes of the Five (for First Week Closed Beta):
    Devoted Cleric, Trickster Rogue and Guardian Fighter.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    So no prestige classes and even the classes are kind of weird.
    b_ro.png

BETA Tips and Tricks
    Never saw Pants in beta?
  • Options
    elminsterelminster Member Posts: 193 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I hope they add a ranger class in there at some point (hint hint devs)
  • Options
    arythorarythor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 315 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    So no prestige classes and even the classes are kind of weird.

I do not find the classes particularly weird; Cryptic has every role covered. There are the tanks/defenders (Guardian Fighter and Great Weapon Fighter), the healer/leader (Devoted Cleric), the melee damage/striker (Trickster Rogue), and the ranged damage/controller (Control Wizard).

Granted, compared to most MMORPGs this is a small initial class offering; most launch with eight or more. However, Cryptic intends to add more after release and with the Dungeons & Dragons intellectual property the possibilities are nearly endless. Even if they added one new class per month it would be a few years until they added them all.

One nice thing about fewer classes is that we can expect them to be much more defined and polished. Some MMORPGs struggle with class identity since so many classes can do the same thing, so they end up feeling the same and boring. Look at EverQuest II, for instance - it has a ridiculous amount of class overlap because they have 25 classes vying for the same four or five roles. Sure, the number of classes seems impressive, until you realize that 12 of them are faction-based mirrors, leaving 13 somewhat unique classes, and then even within those 13 there is a lot being recycled. So far, based on the videos I have watched, every class in Neverwinter looks quite unique.

All that being said, I do wish they had a few of the more popular classes at launch, such as the Paladin, Ranger, and Bard - these are fairly iconic and immediately come to mind when one things of Dungeons & Dragons. I would expect them to start launching these and more as soon as the craziness of launch is over and the game is stable enough to add more content.
  • Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    And please don't ask for 3rd edition things like prestige classes when this is based on 4th edition. Yes, there will be PARAGON classes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    jimbobbyboyjimbobbyboy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    And please don't ask for 3rd edition things like prestige classes when this is based on 4th edition. Yes, there will be PARAGON classes.

D&D knowledge fail (though I would make the same mistake) :rolleyes:
  • Options
    castagyrecastagyre Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    So, does that mean no kits then? What am I supposed to do with all of these 2e brown books? >.>
    Remembering Hanlon's Razor can save one a lot on aspirines.
  • Options
    gwenzelthargwenzelthar Member Posts: 138 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Send me a Ranger!.....Send me a Ranger!...right now!.....right now!
    jonforgottenrealmssmall.jpg
    "I cannot be caged! I cannot be controlled! Understand this as you die, ever pathetic, ever fools!"
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Send me a Ranger!.....Send me a Ranger!...right now!.....right now!

Scorpions, nice.
    b_ro.png

BETA Tips and Tricks
    Never saw Pants in beta?
  • Options
    sutekhonesutekhone Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    the Scorpions? More life Real Life! :D
  • Options
    exavourexavour Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 68
    edited February 2013
    It is kind of sad how much has changed since I started playing D&D, Man I was even playing 3rd edition, which was not that long ago, and then all of a sudden its like, drow come to the surface and everyone is best friends and the world is perfect......hahhaa. ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    godofthornsgodofthorns Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I hope Avenging Paladin is available soon after launch.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Thorn
  • Options
    rustplayerrustplayer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 93
    edited February 2013
    Patience, fellow founders and beta testers!

We start with 5 classes that cover all the basic roles in a group, with a little bit of choice. The existance of 2 fighter classes makes me hopeful that a couple of years down the road we'll have dozens of classes to choose from. (ok, maybe I got a tad too high there)

Also, this is just the first of 3 beta weekends - we'll be amongst the first souls to walk these new lands. Until official release we'll have walked many steps and killed many monsters - and I read somewhere that for launch 8 classes were promised. More toys are coming :)
  • Options
    zagemoggazagemogga Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Devoted Cleric <- reads a little like a pure heal-bot in D&D :confused:
  • Options
    volrath1986volrath1986 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 50
    edited February 2013
    I hope more comes along too but with that also more character slots, I am one who hates to delete a character
  • Options
    darkbladessdarkbladess Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 57
    edited February 2013
    When will we be able to play the drow renegade we bought with the hero of the north pack or will that only be in regular beta/live ?What class will it be if not a ranger?
  • Options
    ichbinichbin Member, Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 166 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    I personally hope & wish for Bard. Complete with instrument play emotes.
  • Options
    goeegoee Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    ichbin wrote: »

I concur, I want Bard too but, first I want a Druid. Druids always seem to be forgotten both in implementation and spells/feats/abilities. All I can say is, if Bioware could do them reasonably well (except prestige classes and few spells and feats), way back when, then I can't see why it should be so hard to do now. PLease give us some nature love.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    ichbin wrote: »

Every time I think of bards as a player class I think of "The Gamers: Dorkness Rising". The worst part is it's accurate LOL
  • Options
    slambitslambit Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 282 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    When will we be able to play the drow renegade we bought with the hero of the north pack or will that only be in regular beta/live ?What class will it be if not a ranger?

It is a racial background option nothing more, it will be an option for any drow you make.
  • Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    rustplayer wrote: »
    Patience, fellow founders and beta testers!

We start with 5 classes that cover all the basic roles in a group, with a little bit of choice. The existance of 2 fighter classes makes me hopeful that a couple of years down the road we'll have dozens of classes to choose from. (ok, maybe I got a tad too high there)

Also, this is just the first of 3 beta weekends - we'll be amongst the first souls to walk these new lands. Until official release we'll have walked many steps and killed many monsters - and I read somewhere that for launch 8 classes were promised. More toys are coming :)

Well posted.

Just for that, let me say it's always possible we could have other races at or soon after launch. *grabbed by the NDA demons* NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    arkangelx3arkangelx3 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Am i the only one in here, who has no idea WTF 2e 3fe 4d or whatever "editions" you folks are talking about. No idea what makes a Paragon class or whatnot. Not once in my life have i ever played a table top game or anything remotely similiar. What i have played is a lot of MMO's and read hundreds of books. The only thing i want to play, is to be a Drow Renegade that shoots lots and lots of arrows. Its the only thing ive ever played in my MMO experience. Hunter(WoW), Ranger (gw2), Rogue Marksmen(Rift), Squig Herder(Warhammer), and Demon Hunter (d3).
    18.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Read my FAQ, especially the 2nd post. It will help.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    zagemoggazagemogga Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    elminster wrote: »
    Every time I think of bards as a player class I think of "The Gamers: Dorkness Rising". The worst part is it's accurate LOL

From what I remember...

Most effective skill: Wall of Corpses :)
    Second most effective skill: Seduce Women/Men...
  • Options
    mrfoxxmrfoxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 62
    edited February 2013
    Im worried about the class diversity, yes there are 5 man clsses, but within those 5 classes, how much can i actually evolve my character?
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    I don't think it'll be an issue. As others have already brought up on different threads there are a LOT of classes to choose from in D&D, most of them very unique in their individual strengths and play styles. While we're only starting with 5 classes, I fully expect to see additional classes and even races added later on down the line.
  • Options
    shiaikashiaika Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    rustplayer wrote: »
    and I read somewhere that for launch 8 classes were promised. More toys are coming :)
    Linky link? Pretty please?:D If I must sign a NDA to access that information, I'm willing.
  • Options
    gaymer87gaymer87 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 291 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    I am a bit disappointed in the class selection. Thinking of DnD I would assume ( lol ) that there would be more customization. I like playing a dps mage class and for that I am going to have to go rogue from what I can thus far. I will have to try out both classes to see.
    *~Ezenkrul Kor'hedron -Drow Sorcerer~* **on hold**
    *~Serixil Kor'hedron- Drow Trickster~*
  • Options
    ichbinichbin Member, Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 166 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    gaymer87 wrote: »
    I am a bit disappointed in the class selection. Thinking of DnD I would assume ( lol ) that there would be more customization.

Yeah, Im a bit dissapointed in the different 'versions' of classes that it seems they are going with. Instead of Guardian Fighter, or Great Weapon Fighter, why cant I just be... Fighter, and just choose from there what I want to do. It just seems like hand-holding to me, focusing a player into a certain roll without giving them too much choice to screw up their char.
    I also would think it would be a tad more organized. Just think if they made 8-12 classes w/ 3-4 versions of each one to select from. You'd have 32-something classes to scan through, which sounds nice on paper, but quality over quantity I'd say.
  • Options
    gaymer87gaymer87 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 291 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    Yeah there seems to be a lot of hand holing in this game so far. The class choices are limited and allow little room for mistake. You have a path that shows you where to go next. I also feel the skills are limited. I am use to games having a ton of skills to choose from and you need to use them on the fly. Having 6 skills to choose from does not make it complicated at all.
    *~Ezenkrul Kor'hedron -Drow Sorcerer~* **on hold**
    *~Serixil Kor'hedron- Drow Trickster~*