test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Classes

Comments

• Options
    virindivirindi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Remember they have to follow a line.. that line is the class system in 4th ed. It would be like a Tactical Captain in STO using abilities that an Engineering captain has. It just does not happen. There would be chaos and dogs and cats living together... !! :D

The paragon system allows for some deviation, but it is what it is. It isn't bad, it is just... different. And free. Remember the free part.

Well; I don't know the class system in 4th edition. I'm not asking for a 2h berserker shooting fireballs and casting aoe heals.. I would go back to CO.. but we need more choice.. 4th edition can't be as poor as it is in the game. Just look at the damn stat rolls...
    I can totally imagine a "freeform" for paying subscribers..
  • Options
    cyberkatcyberkat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Would be nice to see some ranged classes (mages and archers).
  • Options
    goddessiscariotgoddessiscariot Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    So no prestige classes and even the classes are kind of weird.

Streethawke you are in 3.5 land, this game is based off 4th Edition so no there will be no prestige classes but will follow the 4th edition progression; Heroic->Paragon->Epic.
  • Options
    spaghettijedispaghettijedi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    In all honest, I just bought the Dungeons and Dragons Starter Set, and with the classes at launch, this basically reminds me of exactly that. There are only 5 classes in the Starter Set book, albiet different (Fighter, Rogue, Wizard, Cleric, Paladin). I don't really think we have a lot to be worried about here, hopefully they add them in here in stages kind of like they do with the actual books.
  • Options
    jeffnsylmarjeffnsylmar Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    interesting... although i would like to see a ranger class next.
  • Options
    dieselbob3dieselbob3 Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Dont forget too that in regular DnD you have a live DM that can adjust the adventure based on what classes the table of players made. This is a CRPG and as such has automated AI DM that has a limit to what it can account for without being run on a super computer. The math would be so complicated to account for broad specs like having a freeform Fighter class that the processing power would be immense everytime you entered a dungeon in a group of 5 that AI would either become impossible for certain combos or ridiculously easy.

There is no realistic way to make a free form without a live DM and example is nearly every CRPG has some limiting factor that allows for players to be successful or fail based on skill and some luck. Instead a full free form AI would be wildy unpredictable and would require non stop patches... and well logistically its impossible right now.

I like how the system is made right now and the only change I would like to see is on the roll stats page to either have buttom say option 1 and option 2 or have it actually roll random stats with a limit to the total points possible so we cant get straight 18's.

Personally I think the "buying" stats would be absolute best option sorta like the 4edition character builder lets you do for pen and paper version where you set total points allowed and let players go from there on optimal build.
  • Options
    fulmer2020fulmer2020 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I want an archer.
  • Options
    pilf3rpilf3r Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    And please don't ask for 3rd edition things like prestige classes when this is based on 4th edition. Yes, there will be PARAGON classes.

Hmm if we are to be prickly about term lets not call these classes but rather builds! Because that is what they are build of certain classes so in essence there are really 5 builds being offered at launch from 4 different classes. Saying anything else is incorrect.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Neverwinter Thieves Guild
  • Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Other class builds will be included.

Just not at launch.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    streethawkestreethawke Member Posts: 705 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Streethawke you are in 3.5 land, this game is based off 4th Edition so no there will be no prestige classes but will follow the 4th edition progression; Heroic->Paragon->Epic.

Yeah, I realized that after I made the initial post LOL!
    b_ro.png
    When you want to break the mold

BETA Tips and Tricks
    Never saw Pants in beta?
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    fulmer2020 wrote: »
    I want an archer.

In a datamine from a player, he found coding for Archer and Scourge, also the Dragonborn race... So in time, it will happen.

Also Zeke (lead designer) made a hint that it would be coming while in a live stream with mmorpg.com
    b_ro.png

BETA Tips and Tricks
    Never saw Pants in beta?
  • Options
    fluffyfireballfluffyfireball Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Ugh those aren't classes those are builds...
  • Options
    ultimusmagusultimusmagus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 87
    edited February 2013

Exactly. Fighter, Cleric, Paladin, Ranger, Rogue, Warlock, Warlord and Wizard are the core classes. What we're seeing in NWO are not classes but role oriented builds based off Fighter (GF and GWF), Cleric (DC), Rogue (TR), and Wizard (CW). So technically, there will be 4 classes comprised of 5 builds at launch. Because of the way 4E is designed there's little to be done, but a tutorial level (from character level 0-1) should've been added to introduce those unfamiliar with 4E or with D&D altogether and allow a choice of build at the end of the tutorial. Since this is beta and not all class builds are available yet (or for some time in the future, since cleric/rogue/wizard won't have but one choice at launch) I hope this will be addressed in the future.
  • Options
    edited February 2013

Exactly. Fighter, Cleric, Paladin, Ranger, Rogue, Warlock, Warlord and Wizard are the core classes.

Ummm the Archer IS the ranger, and the Scourge IS the Warlock... I don't understand what you are talking about?
    b_ro.png

BETA Tips and Tricks
    Never saw Pants in beta?
  • Options
    seashell9seashell9 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    "The Archer" will be a Prebuild of the 4e Ranger Class in Neverwinter. (Since the generic "Archer" in MMOs is close to the idea of an Ranger it's not a bad choice for Neverwinter)

Archer itself can still be in 4e anything you train to use a bow variant and focus on that. That includes (limited) multiclassing from 4e ruleset. (I've even seen powerbuild Clerics with bows).

In no way or Shape are the classes bount to certain weapons even in 4e! Prebuilds are.
  • Options
    leaandersteenleaandersteen Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 69
    edited February 2013
    castagyre wrote: »
    So, does that mean no kits then? What am I supposed to do with all of these 2e brown books? >.>
    In facts, DD4 is based on a lot of base class with parangon and epic way.

For exemple, the mage lame Kit in dd2.5 is a base class mage lame in dd4. The same for the blade singer.

And for the Skald too!

Cryptic! Implement Skald and Erevan ilsere, or i will pray Him and curse u for eternity!
  • Options
    mrsyntaxxmrsyntaxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    What is max level?
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Max level is 60.

But in D&D language the max level is really 20. They just spread it out to 60.
    b_ro.png

BETA Tips and Tricks
    Never saw Pants in beta?
  • Options
    them1sterturtlethem1sterturtle Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I thought the next class on the list that a dev responded to on these forums was a TWP or melee ranger?
  • Options
    razorrxgdbrazorrxgdb Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I thought the next class on the list that a dev responded to on these forums was a TWP or melee ranger?

They said the first Ranger to be released was a 2 Weapon Fighter and not an Archer.
  • Options
    darvandarvan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I really hope that they add more classes after launch, like ranger, and druid which I feel is are just as much a part of DnD as the classes being released at launch.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    razorrxgdb wrote: »
    They said the first Ranger to be released was a 2 Weapon Fighter and not an Archer.

Can you post the link?
    b_ro.png

BETA Tips and Tricks
    Never saw Pants in beta?
  • Options
    razorrxgdbrazorrxgdb Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
  • Options
    tadachetadache Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    darvan wrote: »
    I really hope that they add more classes after launch, like ranger, and druid which I feel is are just as much a part of DnD as the classes being released at launch.
    I agree with this. Druids can be a lot of fun. I hope they become a playable class at some point.
  • Options
    deathreaper4udeathreaper4u Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 135 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    gaymer87 wrote: »
    I am a bit disappointed in the class selection. Thinking of DnD I would assume ( lol ) that there would be more customization. I like playing a dps mage class and for that I am going to have to go rogue from what I can thus far. I will have to try out both classes to see.

agreed.. and I would like to see some cool rarer races and classes that enhance each other and really make the game unique fun

ie

SHIFTER / RAZORCLAW race- good for druid\ranger

ORC\HALF ORC - good for BARBARIAN ,WARDEN ,FIGHTER, possible shaman
    GOLLIATH - BARBARIAN ,WARDEN ,FIGHTER

DRAGONBORN

DIVA --WIZARD CLERIC types
    GNOME--- bard sorcerer wizard,warlock

GITHZERAI- monk, ranger, seeker classes
    MINOTAUR-- BARBARIAN, FIGHTER WARDEN

SHARDMIND- WIZARD, WARLOCK, INVOKER

WILDEN- Shaman, invoker, Druid
    COME WITH ME !
  • Options
    svijany12svijany12 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 41
    edited February 2013
    Gimme a Bard :D

+1 (and pls take my money^^)
    'Onoronodonovon takes you!'
  • Options
    lastcreditlastcredit Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I had fun playing the Devoted Cleric on First Beta and plan on exploring the Guardian Fighter on Second Beta; what I am really hopeful for is the Paladin class, ASAP. I like the mix of abilities for solo, and find a better fit in parties. I've been playing D&D since the days of E. Gary Gygax, and have enjoyed the various D&D based PC-games through the years, including the various releases of Neverwinter. I liked what I saw on Beta, and am anxious to see the expansion of this format to the full repertoire of the D&D and Neverwinter class offerings. Good job, Cryptic.
  • Options
    otiroarotiroar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    +1 For Shardmind! My last several sessions with my Shardmind Psion have been a blast! If any of the devs read this, what are current thoughts on psionics? I haven't seen anything yet that touches on the subject. Replies welcome!
  • Options
    fullmetalpopefullmetalpope Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    If only there would be either a basic D&D or AD&D 1st ed. I am a 1980's D&D player and love these rule-sets the most. Our campaign looked into 2nd edition but with the insane amount of handbooks and <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> we decided to just stay with 1st ed.

Its good to dream.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    mcwjimbo1mcwjimbo1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    1st time poster and feeling underwhelmed by the class issue. control wizard is all ice and nothing but ice...BLAH! Have never ever liked ice powers in any game...not a huge fire fan but prefer that over ice though electricity lightning is preffered as a caster

The devoted cleric seems blah as well

Anyway; a possible saving grace is that they might allow free form via some real world $$$ thing like cryptics CO does....and the thing that has kept CO alive for so long