What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Classes

Comments

• Options
    makari2180makari2180 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I'm aware of the classes supposedly in the code but not available on release and the ability to add classes after release

the problem is the game will be largely judged on its release content

once the public at large give it a once over, read a review or 2 and decide not to play it because it feels "incomplete" or it doesnt have any character types they're interested in, then 90% of the time they dont come back to check 6 months later. I'm just saying i think the narrowing of classes to just these 5 severely hurts the game as a whole because of the lack of interest from so many player types.

I think they should either:
    1. hold release another few months to include atleast another 3 or so classes to better round out player types available (my suggestions would be ranger, battlecleric, and warlock)
    2. if these 3 or so classes are already implemented at a basic level and not released solely for "polish", i hate to say it but I would rather have a few "rushed" classes that will need patches to fix than release without those classes, for a few reasons. as i said above i think the release in general will be hurt by the exclusion of these classes and the associated player types, and second, I would rather be able to play a rough character that i'm aware will get patches but fits my play style than have to play a class that might be well polished but isnt my style, even knowing that eventually i will get to start all over with a character i really like.
    3. release with just these 5, but make it absolutely clear that these other classes are coming by doing several things, first release it to the public before release that on top of these 5, these other 3-5 are going to be released over the next X months. second, make these classes obviously visible in the class selection area, just unselectable with a "coming soon" to make sure even people not paying attention will be able to see these are coming. this is my least favorite option but it would hopefully alleviate the initial judgement that the game doesnt have a character that fits a play style that might keep a player from trying it, hopefully they'd try another and even if they leave they'd have a timeline and an incentive to hopefully check back.
  • Options
    elveelve Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 336
    edited March 2013
    makari2180 wrote: »
    the problem is the game will be largely judged on its release content

once the public at large give it a once over, read a review or 2 and decide not to play it because it feels "incomplete" or it doesnt have any character types they're interested in, then 90% of the time they dont come back to check 6 months later. I'm just saying i think the narrowing of classes to just these 5 severely hurts the game as a whole because of the lack of interest from so many player types.

I am not sure that this is the case. It certainly was several years ago but games like League of Legends and Smite showed that you can release the game with limited content initially and as long as you keep adding on character classes afterwards you keep the playerbase happy and growing. If they manage to keep a regular schedule on release dates for classes(one each month/month-and-a-half/two months) and promote the releases adequately they should be able to keep the interest in the game alive and new players will keep coming in. Their class videos so far really remind me of character spotlights in other games so I guess it might be the case.
  • Options
    makari2180makari2180 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    elve you're comparing apples to oranges

first, this is an rpg, where you're somewhat expected to make a character and then continue to progress with him, even with subs / alts you still progress those individual characters with significant time input and character growth, unlike both of those games where in their match form you pick a character and play it for 20min to an hour before moving on, next match you can pick a different character and it doesnt matter

second, both those games released with a significant number of champions and playstyles to begin with, LoL i believe released with 40 champions, smite i'm not that familiar with but just being that style game I'd bet on more than 12 at release.

in this type of game players are much less accepting of not having a character that fits them, because they know they are going to have a significant investment in whatever character they choose, that isnt easily transferred to something that gets released later. Like i said with my option #3, i really hope that if they atleast let players know exactly what classes are coming and a schedule of release for them, hopefully players would either wait playing something else or atleast return back to check the class they really want, but even then i think players of rpgs are less accepting of this than other types of games with less character investment
  • Options
    elveelve Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 336
    edited March 2013
    30 champions for Smite I think :)

Yes, you are right - the games are quite different and I just pointed them out as games that launched with limited content but are now a lot larger. I think Cryptic has similar strategy with Champions Online when it comes to archetypes and DCUO also releases a new champion power set once in a while and there are several other MMORPGs that do that occasionally. I don't think that kind of thing have been done properly with MMOs though. Still I believe it can be done. With the foundry system there is unlimited amount of content characters can experience during leveling. The hard part now is to create proper endgame and to give players plenty of playstyles to experience with different classes.
  • Options
    darkwolf42775darkwolf42775 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0
    edited March 2013
    i'v always had a ranger/hunter and that is what most elfs are i got the $60 founders pack with the wolf so i could be a elf ranger but will i still be able to use the wolf if they do come out with the ranger after lanch? if i don't use him? some one PM me and let me know pls and ty so kindly :)!
  • Options
    kinsaedakinsaeda Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    yeah, you'll still be able to use the wolf. Companions aren't class restricted and you can have humanoid or animal based helpers.
  • Options
    darkwolf42775darkwolf42775 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0
    edited March 2013
    will i get the wolf on all my charcters with the $60 founder's pack or is it only 1 of my charcters pls let me know pls and ty so kindly why i want to know is i don't want to use it on 1 and not beable to use it again ty so kindly again!:)
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    You get the mount and wolf from the founder's pack to all characters you create. You will have companions even if you have not bought the founder's pack.
  • Options
    streethawkestreethawke Member Posts: 705 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    elve wrote: »
    You get the mount and wolf from the founder's pack to all characters you create. You will have companions even if you have not bought the founder's pack.

I'll have to test it on Friday,, but there was a companion vendor right after you finished with the "intro" sequence. You might be able to buy the Falcon (DO NOT GET THE GHOST, unless they changed it) right at level 4. Would be interesting...
    b_ro.png
    When you want to break the mold

BETA Tips and Tricks
    Never saw Pants in beta?
  • Options
    razorlanrazorlan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Any word on the archer build ranger yet? It seems to be one of the most requested classes that isn't listed as being available yet.
  • Options
    kinsaedakinsaeda Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    No word, I don't know if its the most requested either. Right now we have our classes for launch, and anymore they announce are gravy.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    The archer class is in the game, as a player found it when he datamined the code. Just a question when they will announce it officially.
    b_ro.png

BETA Tips and Tricks
    Never saw Pants in beta?
  • Options
    stauchstauch Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 38
    edited March 2013
    The archer class is in the game, as a player found it when he datamined the code. Just a question when they will announce it officially.
    Some PARTS of it was found, not the entire thing. So it's a safe bet to assume that it will come at some point in time but at present I believe that it's not yet finished. Same with the scurge warlock that was found the same way.

Now I believe that they said that dual wield ranger and something else was slated to be the first two additions after launch.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    stauch wrote: »
    Some PARTS of it was found, not the entire thing. So it's a safe bet to assume that it will come at some point in time but at present I believe that it's not yet finished. Same with the scurge warlock that was found the same way.

Now I believe that they said that dual wield ranger and something else was slated to be the first two additions after launch.

Semantics...
    b_ro.png

BETA Tips and Tricks
    Never saw Pants in beta?
  • Options
    karasandrakarasandra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Lol stop freaking out about which class's you want. Cause if you want it they most likely are already thinking about it and coming up with ideas for it or already in the development phase with it and just don't think it is good enough to show it. The coders and creators did not just randomly start making this game they have the same love for it as you.
  • Options
    martyanyamartyanya Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Fourth edition...bleh...

Still...since its an MMO hopefully we won't have to deal with too many of the useless mechanics from the pen and paper...
  • Options
    dividabletripoddividabletripod Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I'm glad you mention the dual wield ranger. I can't see it NOT being in the game anyhow, but I still love seeing this post. I play 3.5 generally, but still this is my favorite class across the board whether 3.5, 4ed or even crossing to Pathfinder as far as "current standard" Table tops are concerned.
  • Options
    dividabletripoddividabletripod Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited March 2013

I'm glad you mention the dual wield ranger. I can't see it NOT being in the game anyhow, but I still love seeing this post. I play 3.5 generally, but still this is my favorite class across the board whether 3.5, 4ed or even crossing to Pathfinder as far as "current standard" Table tops are concerned.
  • Options
    stauchstauch Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 38
    edited March 2013
    Semantics...
    Maybe, but to me the term "is in the game" means that they just need to flip a switch and one can choose it.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Maybe, but to me the term "is in the game" means that they just need to flip a switch and one can choose it.

Why are most of your posts combative? Not just here, but other threads?

It is all semantics... the code is in game.. that will most likely be the first two "new" classes that come out.
    b_ro.png

BETA Tips and Tricks
    Never saw Pants in beta?
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Why are most of your posts combative? Not just here, but other threads?
    So I'm not allowed to speak out if I think something presented is wrong? And personally I see my previous reply here more as explanatory than combative, since I see those two situations as significantly different.
    It is all semantics... the code is in game.. that will most likely be the first two "new" classes that come out.
    From what I remember they have said that it's the dual-wield ranger and something I forgotten that will be the two first after launch. More likely that archer ranger and scourge warlock will be in the second or third addition of classes.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Can you post the link to this? Because I heard in the MMORPG playtest that "Rangers were DnD"... "It is important to us to make this feel DnD" (those are -ish quotes, I dont remember exactly , I posted it some where or you can check out the video).

Then the datamine came out with the Archer and Scourge... and Dragonborn... sooooo that is telling me they are putting those options in the game and have not finished hashing things out, or perhaps it got mixed in from the alpha code and put there on accident thinking it would be ok. Nonetheless, those are two classes and the race that will probably be coming out after launch.

Semantics is the when part. Thank you.
    b_ro.png

BETA Tips and Tricks
    Never saw Pants in beta?
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Pretty sure it was in one of the gameplay videos with devs participating, I'll see if I can find it tomorrow, time for bed now.
  • Options
    eshlaeshla Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    devoted cleric seems cool but I hope there is plans to add the battle cleric or the warlord class.
  • Options
    eshlaeshla Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I really have to disagree with a couple of the choices here and the fact they are in a group.

Warlocks and Druids are not really defined as arcane or divine, or even "primal".

Warlocks just need their own deal. Honestly, this has to be the easiest translation to a MMO with the way their abilities worked in PnP. In 3.5 they could get 15d6 ranged attacked (minus the extra shenanigans for effects) that could be repeated unlimited.

Druids... Druids should be druids. This class is always an afterthought. No one stone me, but Druids were actually handled pretty good by WoW. Better than Neverwinter Nights and D&D Online. They are versitile, by healing, buffing, debuffing, shapeshifting and nukes. I like this class (not sure about 4th ed though) and wish oblivious publishers and developers would stop <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> this class up.

Sorry for mini rant : / Druids get me fired up. Wizard then Druid... that is what I like to play in that order in MMO and PnP.

in 4th ed. which the games is based off of the warlock is defined as arcane (pg. 129 phb) and the Druid is defined as primal (pg. 82 phb2)
  • Options
    malloki08malloki08 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Druids were handled well in PnP 3rd ed.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    malloki08 wrote: »
    Druids were handled well in PnP 3rd ed.

Druids were broke in 3.0 LOL! You could dump all your physical stats and wildshape into pretty much anything and take on their physical stats. I think Pathfinder's "fix" is pretty good to Druid. And it still feels like a druid.
    b_ro.png

BETA Tips and Tricks
    Never saw Pants in beta?
  • Options
    xxxcassxxxcass Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Man, stop this. Pretige Classes and a wide variety of other class are the hallmark of the dungeons and dragons. We need all the basic classes at laest.
  • Options
    necrosiahnecrosiah Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    What is 4.0? I remember 3.5 and somehow we magically skipped to 5 =P
  • Options
    tilviustilvius Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 82
    edited March 2013
    Give it time and we will get more classes. I'm sure one day we will have quiet a lot of classes to choose from =)

I going to still play but I will be waiting for a Warlock class as well as a Blackguard (fingers cross) =P